T
truthseekerjay
Guest
I actually believe all those things, but right now, what I’m trying to figure out is who the Church actually encompasses. Let me share a couple examples of my confusion.Fair enough. Tell me – do you believe that Jesus founded the Church? And that He placed Peter and the apostles in charge? And promised that “the gates of hell [would] not prevail” against the Church He founded?
I mentioned in my story that there was a point in which I had an “Evangelical mindset” and pretty much doubted RC, but would continue participating in RC activities ONLY due to a fear of my family. Did God view me as RC at this point? Were my confessions still leading to absolution/forgiveness? If a Muslim (and continuing to be Muslim in his heart) were coerced into getting baptized and confessing (perhaps due to social pressure), do these sacraments work?
Reading Church history, it seems as if people would split from the majority at different points in time. First, it was the Church of the East, then the Oriental Orthodox, then the Eastern Orthodox, etc. Prior to the actual “divorce,” the people would meet in councils to see if they could reconcile their differences and I think people would meet in councils even after the divorce. Suppose the official “divorce” between the Oriental Orthodox and the majority of the people with claims for Christ (I’m assuming you would call these people RC) happened on October 29. On October 28, does God STILL view the people who would eventually follow Oriental Orthodoxy as RC? Basically, the mindset of these people was already different from the majority and the ONLY thing that will be different on October 29 is their official lack of allegiance to the Roman pope. Is allegiance to the Roman pope the real definition of a Roman Catholic and the ultimate requirement to be a member of the invisible Church?
I’m not really sure what you’re asking, but I would say that it depends on the situation. In this case, I personally felt that RC might be false, so I figured that it would be better to start from scratch so as to not give me any biases towards RC. I believed that if RC is the truth, it will eventually show me so, despite me starting from scratch.Again, fair enough. Yet, wouldn’t a scientist ask “what are the grounds for belief in this as truth?” rather than “hey! why don’t I try to re-prove it all again, from the start?”…? (I’m not asking whether it’s possible to prove… but whether what an inquiring scientist does is re-verify everything that has gone before him or whether he simply checks his sources to see what they say?)
I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here either. As I mentioned before, I wouldn’t say I have 100% confidence in the things that Evangelicals say either. Come to think of it, in the beginning, they didn’t really tell me to believe what they said. If anything, their message was to open my eyes and observe. I don’t know exactly what was said, but they did convince me that I was more sinful than I thought. They also made me realize that God can see right through me and knows the things that I secretly question. As a side note, even before encountering the Evangelicals, I already questioned certain things about RC, but if I’m honest with myself, the ONLY reason I didn’t actually try to find the answers was because I was comfortable with my situation and NOT because I had faith that God just made it that way. Therefore, when the Evangelicals pointed out that I couldn’t hide my doubts from God anyway, I decided to seek for answers in the Bible, from interviewing people, from reading books about Church history, etc.This, too, is fair enough. Yet, as far as logic goes, there’s a problem here, isn’t there? If an Evangelical clues you in to the fact that your understanding of your Catholic faith is deficient, that doesn’t mean that his faith is more correct than yours – just that your understanding needs work. And, if he uses the deficiency of your understanding in your faith tradition as the way to assert that his denomination has the truth… well, that’s not only dirty pool (i.e., ‘sheep stealing’), but illogical, as well!