How much should physical attraction matter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EasternWestern
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deborah, even though I am a new member here, I have read many of your posts and I have always respected your balanced opinions.

So I need to know…why do you think so?
Well ultimately it’s your decision, but my opinion is that you should let her go if you’re not attracted to her. Personally, I wouldn’t want to marry someone I’m not attracted to, and neither would I want to marry someone who’s not attracted to me. It just doesn’t seem fair for either party involved.

Of course, it is possible that a marriage could work without there ever being that type of attraction, but I definitely don’t think it’s a good scenario to start off with.
 
People who feel they “settled” in their choice of a spouse–or worse yet, find out their that spouse feels that they “settled”–aren’t too happy either. As with most choices in life, you will find there is a ditch on both sides of this road.
Yes, this. It seems depressing to think you married someone because you just settled for them.
 
Yes, this. It seems depressing to think you married someone because you just settled for them.
I think there have been people and times when people don’t expect so much from their spouses, who didn’t look at it as “settling” to have more realistic expectations. Still, I’d put a bridle on the expectations first and marry afterward, and NOT marry and hope that the sinking feeling will go away: that is, the feeling that you have made a promise in violation of your heart’s desire.
 
Man, I can perfectly relate to what you are saying, especially re the two voices telling you two different things. I believe you are in a very difficult situation and it would be interesting to know how you decide on this.

Have you asked your relatives and friends (especially the guys) about what they think when they see you with her? I believe those are the real folks that can make you uncomfortable being with her.
 
There is this very nice, romantic song by Don Williams - Wonderful Tonight. 👍 For me, this song could be used as a “checker”.

It’s late in the evening; she’s wondering what clothes to wear.
She puts on her make-up and brushes her long blonde hair.
And “then she asks me, Do I look all right?”
And I say, "Yes, you look wonderful tonight."

Me> So what would you say?

We go to a party and everyone turns to see
This beautiful lady walking around with me.
And then she asks me, "Do you feel all right?"
And I say, "Yes, I feel wonderful tonight."

Me> What would you say?
…

It’s time to go home now and I’ve got an aching head,
So I give her the car keys and she helps me to bed.
And then I tell her, as I turn out the light,
I say, "My darling, you were wonderful tonight.
…

Me> Same here.

I believe if you honestly answer these questions, you would know how to decide. I don’t think I would want to be with someone I can’t tell her “you look wonderful tonight”.

:twocents:
 
I discovered that when you get to know a lovely woman she becomes more and more beautiful each day. I think we’ve been brainwashed to a certain degree of what beauty is. The ideal is merely the look that appeals to as many as possible, But when you get to knwo someone intimately you notice how every feature is transformed into something beautiful and unique. and you see the attractiveness that has always been there. My story is a bit different. I got to know my SO over the internet first. I didn’t immediately think “wow” when I frist saw her but over time she became more and more beautiful until every time I see a picture of her my heart starts thumping like mad 😉 No one can be more pretty than her to me
 
I welcome the harshness. The reason, in part, why I posted this topic is because I am agonizing over and and am guilty over this shallowness. I wish I were different.
I keep my standards low, so I’m never disappointed.
 
I discovered that when you get to know a lovely woman she becomes more and more beautiful each day. I think we’ve been brainwashed to a certain degree of what beauty is. The ideal is merely the look that appeals to as many as possible, But when you get to knwo someone intimately you notice how every feature is transformed into something beautiful and unique. and you see the attractiveness that has always been there.
 
I put “honest” in quotation marks because what you call honesty is still an ultimatum. It may be truthful in legal definition, but its playing relationship games and that is NOT honesty in a healthy relationship.
Let me get this straight: you’re suggesting not being truthful with this young woman and encouraging the OP to end their relationship and I’m suggesting that he tell her how he actually feels in an attempt to improve their relationship, but I’m the one “playing games.” Got it.

Anyway, this bickering seems to be unresponsive to the OP’s main concern, which, as he clarified a few posts back, is that he’s worried about being shallow. My advice would be don’t worry too much. It’s perfectly healthy to want to be physically attracted to someone you’re going to marry. While physical appearance isn’t the only factor in choosing a mate, it is an important one, especially for men sinec they tend to be more visually-oriented. If you wanted to marry a woman solely because of her looks, despite the fact her behavior was uncouth or shrewish, then I’d say you were being shallow. The fact that you extolled this young woman for all of her other great assets in your original post tells me that you’re not shallow. You obviously do care about more than physical appearance, you simply recognize that appearance does matter to some extent.
 
I’m not sure why people are getting so fired up about this.

Apparently some of us think attraction matters, and some of us think it doesn’t. Who cares? Why can’t we each just give our opinion and leave it at that?

This isn’t really the type of issue that grown people need to fight over on the internet, IMHO. :rolleyes:
 
Let me get this straight: you’re suggesting not being truthful with this young woman and encouraging the OP to end their relationship and I’m suggesting that he tell her how he actually feels in an attempt to improve their relationship, but I’m the one “playing games.” Got it.

Anyway, this bickering seems to be unresponsive to the OP’s main concern, which, as he clarified a few posts back, is that he’s worried about being shallow. My advice would be don’t worry too much. It’s perfectly healthy to want to be physically attracted to someone you’re going to marry. While physical appearance isn’t the only factor in choosing a mate, it is an important one, especially for men sinec they tend to be more visually-oriented. If you wanted to marry a woman solely because of her looks, despite the fact her behavior was uncouth or shrewish, then I’d say you were being shallow. The fact that you extolled this young woman for all of her other great assets in your original post tells me that you’re not shallow. You obviously do care about more than physical appearance, you simply recognize that appearance does matter to some extent.
Do not accept anything as the truth if it lacks love. And do not accept anything as love which lacks truth! One without the other becomes a destructive lie.
– St Teresa Benedicta of the Cross

Is it loving to act as if you are smitten by someone and to let them act smitten with you when you are not smitten by them? No. That’s a lie. He can’t do that. It would be a betrayal of the trust she is showing by gradually disclosing her feelings to him.

Is it loving to go around telling someone you are dating that her looks are not pleasing enough to keep you interested? No. Why not? Because it is self-centered to put it that way. If the OP were to tell his girlfriend that he is breaking up with her because he thinks she is overweight, it would not be “honest” or “truthful”, because buried in the statement “you don’t meet my standards of beauty” is the lie “it is your problem that your body doesn’t suit my personal standards.”

It is not necessarily anything against the OP that he is not swept off his feet by this woman. If he puts his dilemma that way, if he says he lacks the feelings he ought to have at this point in order to continue to deepen the relationship, he would not be taking his problem and putting it on her plate. So when and if he does disclose his feelings–and that is a disclosure that is his to decide to share or not share, because being honest does not mean other people are entitled to know our every thought–he needs to stop and look at the unexamined messages in the different ways he could talk about how he feels. He needs to be careful not to slip any unexamined lies into what is meant to be an honest disclosure. When we talk about not hurting her, that is the main thing to keep in mind: we are not talking about lying. We are actually talking about avoiding lies.
 
Let me get this straight: you’re suggesting not being truthful with this young woman and encouraging the OP to end their relationship and I’m suggesting that he tell her how he actually feels in an attempt to improve their relationship, but I’m the one “playing games.” Got it.

Anyway, this bickering seems to be unresponsive to the OP’s main concern, which, as he clarified a few posts back, is that he’s worried about being shallow. My advice would be don’t worry too much. It’s perfectly healthy to want to be physically attracted to someone you’re going to marry. While physical appearance isn’t the only factor in choosing a mate, it is an important one, especially for men sinec they tend to be more visually-oriented. If you wanted to marry a woman solely because of her looks, despite the fact her behavior was uncouth or shrewish, then I’d say you were being shallow. The fact that you extolled this young woman for all of her other great assets in your original post tells me that you’re not shallow. You obviously do care about more than physical appearance, you simply recognize that appearance does matter to some extent.
This does make me feel better, thank you. The fact that I am agonizing at all must mean I’m not 100% shallow…and yet, still too shallow for my own good.

I do put a high premium on physical attraction. Maybe it’s modern society, maybe I’m just too visual, but the female form, when beautiful, just transfixes me. When I see a beautiful woman on TV, I just stare and stare in awe.

When I have been on dates with women, I would scrutinize their looks in my head: “Wow, she has greys in her hair;” “that is one nasty wrinkle right above her lip”; “she should learn to wear make-up better.” Yeah, awful, I know.

But the converse is also true. I once went out on a date with a woman from the internet. She was pretty, about 6 years younger, but, she said things during that date that told me right away that her Catholic values weren’t mine. I told her that very date that she’s not for me. Another time, when I was in my 20’s, I went on a blind date with a very striking woman. But during the date, I found her bossy, and again, while she was Catholic, she wasn’t practicing, so I didn’t call her again. Again, she was a stunner. And at age 22, she had no physical flaws that I could see. But I let that one go.

Here’s the thing with me. Because of my faith convictions, somewhat “different” personality, and serious attitude concerning dating (I don’t date just for the sake of dating), I haven’t been with many woman, because I know I’m not compatible with many. My lifestyle doesn’t make me appealing to a lot of women (I’m not really into a lot of outdoor physical activity, don’t like dancing much, couch potato).

So to make a long story short(er), I am giving this woman more time of day than I’ve given the women I described above. And that makes me feel better, too.

And to those who say, “Just let her go, something better for me will come along,” I’m doubtful, because I don’t match personality/values-wise often…in fact, just about never. I can’t be too choosey. Sometimes, people who are too choosey wind up choosing themselves into being single for life. If you don’t believe me, see the other message board labeled “Never marrieds sign in here.” I’d bet some of them were holding out for near perfection. As EasterJoy said, there is a difference between settling and just being realistic.
 
I have been wondering this…

OP, you said she needs to lose 50-60 lbs, right?

So is she 50-60 lbs overweight, (according to BMI) or she just said she wants to lose that much, or you just estimated that yourself?

I’m just wondering because for me, right now I am “technically” overweight. By 1 pound. I’m basing that on standard BMI charts for my height, gender etc.

I WANT to lose 40lbs, not 1 lb. if I lose 41 lbs, I will be underweight. 40 is the maximum I can lose and still be in my “ideal” weight for my height. BUT, I have been at that weight before and I looked horribly skinny, like a skeleton. I just want to be that thin because I really love fashion and want to wear clothes I like. But I would literally have no butt, no breasts and lose my “hourglass” look.

Not trying to be racist here, but most “white men” I have known tend to like grotesquely thin women who would be technically underweight. My husband (not white) likes me to be how I am now, which is very curvy.

Anyway, if you do break up with her, can you give her some advice for me: try hispanic men or african american men because they (usually)like curvy women. If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back.
 
I have been wondering this…

OP, you said she needs to lose 50-60 lbs, right?

So is she 50-60 lbs overweight, (according to BMI) or she just said she wants to lose that much, or you just estimated that yourself?

I’m just wondering because for me, right now I am “technically” overweight. By 1 pound. I’m basing that on standard BMI charts for my height, gender etc.

I WANT to lose 40lbs, not 1 lb. if I lose 41 lbs, I will be underweight. 40 is the maximum I can lose and still be in my “ideal” weight for my height. BUT, I have been at that weight before and I looked horribly skinny, like a skeleton. I just want to be that thin because I really love fashion and want to wear clothes I like. But I would literally have no butt, no breasts and lose my “hourglass” look.

Not trying to be racist here, but most “white men” I have known tend to like grotesquely thin women who would be technically underweight. My husband (not white) likes me to be how I am now, which is very curvy.

Anyway, if you do break up with her, can you give her some advice for me: try hispanic men or african american men because they (usually)like curvy women. If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back.
👍

There’s a lid for every pot. As long as she is not so overweight that it becomes a health issue.
 
Just a suggestion:

Let’s please keep the insulting remarks regarding thin women out of the conversation.

I know there haven’t been very many remarks like that here, but there have still been a couple, and that’s a couple too many, IMHO. Some women are just naturally thin, myself included, and it is offensive to hear some of the negative remarks aimed at thinner figures.

As women living in the 21st century, we ALL have a certain level of self consciousness regarding our appearances. We’re not doing ourselves any favors if we keep on throwing rocks at each other’s appearances. The media and Hollywood already do that enough.
 
I have been wondering this…

OP, you said she needs to lose 50-60 lbs, right?

So is she 50-60 lbs overweight, (according to BMI) or she just said she wants to lose that much, or you just estimated that yourself?

I’m just wondering because for me, right now I am “technically” overweight. By 1 pound. I’m basing that on standard BMI charts for my height, gender etc.

I WANT to lose 40lbs, not 1 lb. if I lose 41 lbs, I will be underweight. 40 is the maximum I can lose and still be in my “ideal” weight for my height. BUT, I have been at that weight before and I looked horribly skinny, like a skeleton. I just want to be that thin because I really love fashion and want to wear clothes I like. But I would literally have no butt, no breasts and lose my “hourglass” look.

Not trying to be racist here, but most “white men” I have known tend to like grotesquely thin women who would be technically underweight. My husband (not white) likes me to be how I am now, which is very curvy.

Anyway, if you do break up with her, can you give her some advice for me: try hispanic men or african american men because they (usually)like curvy women. If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back.
I cannot even start to say how incredibly obnoxious it would be for a man to tell a woman what racial group other than his own she can expect to find her attractive! What, he’s the expert for all men, now, and he has them conveniently filed by color group for her? Good grief.

Look at his friend’s assessment: She is aware of her need to lose weight, and acknowledges that she has an unhealthy relationship with food. She said she is trying, but also knows she may not be successful, and asked me whether I could still love her regardless. She also said that weight is a VERY serious issue with her.

I’m somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 lb. overweight. It ain’t one pound, and it doesn’t take a degree in physiology or a weight-height chart to see that I am not at a healthy weight. Were I to lose that weight, I would still weigh 10 lb. more than when I was in high school. While I was fit back then, I have never been anybody’s gaunt runway model.

Could I appreciate that someone might be bothered by my weight? Sure. Do I want to lose the weight? Sure. Am I willing to work at it? Sure. Do I think it is a realistic goal? Yes. Would I marry somebody who would be really bothered if I couldn’t lose the weight? No. While I think it is very possible that I will get back into shape, I also realize that the statistics are not in my favor. I don’t mind knowing that my husband thinks I look better when I’m in better shape, but I need someone who is there for the long haul, which is what I have.

Yes, you are right about this: Getting fit and taking care of your body as a lifestyle, being patient and positive if pregnancy or some other life event gets in the way of that: those are things that a person does from a position of self-acceptance, not a position of not feeling worthwhile from the very start. It comes from a start where you see your own body as a gift from God. I would not like someone’s chances if she were getting fit out of fear of losing her husband. That would be the pits, just the pits, and even if the person got to be as fit as could be, it would still be the pits.
 
i think you should make decision. if you think you don’t want her in anyway just move on. or if you really want this girl you can try to make things better. physical appearance can be changed. but inner qualities are hard to find
 
OP, I’ve been in your situation before and decided to ignore my feelings. After marriage my wife put on another 60 lbs and hasn’t looked back.

People - women especially - do not get more attractive as they age. Add to that most women spend less time keeping up their appearances after they are married, so chances are you’re witnessing her at her absolute best right now. If you have a problem with the way she looks now, then odds are it will only get worse after marriage.

If you didn’t like her height or race you wouldn’t actually hold out hope that she could change any of those attributes. I believe you should treat her weight the same way, because the vast majority of obese people who try to lose weight fail. Take her or leave her as she is, but don’t count on anything changing.

You are entering into a relationship where sex is a gift and an obligation. Do you want to be obliged to have sex with someone you aren’t attracted to for the rest of your life? Not to put too fine a point on it but that obligation can be brutally unpleasant.
 
When I have been on dates with women, I would scrutinize their looks in my head: “Wow, she has greys in her hair;” “that is one nasty wrinkle right above her lip”; “she should learn to wear make-up better.” Yeah, awful, I know.
This sends out huge warning signs to me that you might not be ready to be married to any woman right now. If grey hair and wrinkles are something that you look at and use to determine whether or not you will think about marrying someone then you will be in for a very harsh awakening when whoever you marry ages. Perhaps what you need to do right now is take a step back and rethink how you look at marriage. Then, after hopefully learning how to at the very least either appreciate the beauty of aged women, or learned to see such a change in physical appearance as unimportant, reevaluate whether or not you could marry this girl. It is quite possible that even if you do manage to change your views of the importance of physical attractiveness in marriage that you still will not be able to get over the weight issue, and that is totally fine if thats the case, but you will need to be honest about it.
 
I have been wondering this…

OP, you said she needs to lose 50-60 lbs, right?

So is she 50-60 lbs overweight, (according to BMI) or she just said she wants to lose that much, or you just estimated that yourself?

I’m just wondering because for me, right now I am “technically” overweight. By 1 pound. I’m basing that on standard BMI charts for my height, gender etc.

I WANT to lose 40lbs, not 1 lb. if I lose 41 lbs, I will be underweight. 40 is the maximum I can lose and still be in my “ideal” weight for my height. BUT, I have been at that weight before and I looked horribly skinny, like a skeleton. I just want to be that thin because I really love fashion and want to wear clothes I like. But I would literally have no butt, no breasts and lose my “hourglass” look.

Not trying to be racist here, but most “white men” I have known tend to like grotesquely thin women who would be technically underweight. My husband (not white) likes me to be how I am now, which is very curvy.

Anyway, if you do break up with her, can you give her some advice for me: try hispanic men or african american men because they (usually)like curvy women. If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back.
This is disturbing on so many levels…

edit: how do you reconcile what you just wrote with this other recent post?
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=707165
40.png
AnaTurin:
Almost every single day I have regretted marrying him. I do love him, but the marriage itself is horrible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top