How much should physical attraction matter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EasternWestern
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
She didn’t directly contradict herself, but it’s weird that she sings the praises of a marriage that makes her so miserable.
 
She didn’t directly contradict herself, but it’s weird that she sings the praises of a marriage that makes her so miserable.
Lol she made a comment about how her husband prefers the curvier look. I’m not sure how that translates to singing praises of her marriage. 🤷
 
“If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back.”

Sounds like it to me, but fine.
 
This is disturbing on so many levels…

edit: how do you reconcile what you just wrote with this other recent post?
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=707165
Thanks for pointing that out. On this thread, she is basically painting a positive picture of hispanic men, while on the other thread (I just read part), she basically portrayed them negatively.

So it was unnecessary to have brought up the race thing in the first place.
 
Thanks for pointing that out. On this thread, she is basically painting a positive picture of hispanic men, while on the other thread (I just read part), she basically portrayed them negatively.

So it was unnecessary to have brought up the race thing in the first place.
What in the WORLD?

All she is saying is that Hispanic men (her husband included) prefer bigger/curvier women. How does that translate into her painting a positive picture of them?

If I say my husband prefers slim/fit women, does that mean I’m painting a negative picture of my husband?

What in the world does body type preference have to do with a man being a good man or a bad man? :confused:

You guys are trippin!
 
What in the WORLD?

All she is saying is that Hispanic men (her husband included) prefer bigger/curvier women. How does that translate into her painting a positive picture of them?

If I say my husband prefers slim/fit women, does that mean I’m painting a negative picture of my husband?

What in the world does body type preference have to do with a man being a good man or a bad man? :confused:

You guys are trippin!
In the other thread that this poster started, she stated that she and her husband were having a rough marriage because of cultural differences. She said that Hispanic men do not respect their women as equals.

In this thread, she seems to be encouraging curvy women to find a Hispanic man because they love curves.

Why would she give this advice if the cultural differences that she is experiencing are making her so miserable?
 
In the other thread that this poster started, she stated that she and her husband were having a rough marriage because of cultural differences. She said that Hispanic men do not respect their women as equals.

In this thread, she seems to be encouraging curvy women to find a Hispanic man because they love curves.

Why would she give this advice if the cultural differences that she is experiencing are making her so miserable?
She never said her husband had nothing lovable about him or that there was nothing about him that made her feel grateful. She has only said he is extremely difficult in some respects, and that he tries to use culture to excuse these things. Finding women more attractive when they are a little more plump rather than less has nothing to do with other cultural differences she has talked about. The two things have no necessary connection.
 
She never said her husband had nothing lovable about him or that there was nothing about him that made her feel grateful. She has only said he is extremely difficult in some respects, and that he tries to use culture to excuse these things. Finding women more attractive when they are a little more plump rather than less has nothing to do with other cultural differences she has talked about. The two things have no necessary connection.
They do have a connection because of the way in which the poster presented her opinions.

"Not trying to be racist here, but most “white men” I have known tend to like grotesquely thin women who would be technically underweight. My husband (not white) likes me to be how I am now, which is very curvy.

Anyway, if you do break up with her, can you give her some advice for me: try hispanic men or african american men because they (usually)like curvy women. If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back."

This statement to try a Hispanic man next time makes little sense when in the other thread she is complaining that Hispanic men treat their wives as slaves. When it was argued that it could be just a personality quirk of her husband, she stated that she doubted it because she had a friend in a similar situation. Her position on that thread makes little sense with her statement on this one about how wonderful a Hispanic man will make a woman feel.

If she had simply said, not all men care if a woman has some curves; my husband doesn’t mind, her opinions wouldn’t necessarily contradict one another.
 
I’m not sure how to put this. My 50+ year old wife has put on some weight over the years. But when we are together, I swear she could be the most attractive woman on the planet.

I hope this makes sense.

According to the Greeks, there are 3 types of love:
Eros - passionate, sexual love.
Philios - friendship or affectionate love
Agape - unconditional, true love

It is good to have all three in a marriage, but the most important one is Agape (pronounced Ah-GOP-ay). It is the love that endures all things. This is the kind of love God has for us, and parents naturally have for their children.

It sounds like you and your girlfriend have the Philios love, which is important, but you need to discern whether or not the Agape love is there. If it is, I think the Eros love will do just fine.

Peace,

John
 
They do have a connection because of the way in which the poster presented her opinions.

"Not trying to be racist here, but most “white men” I have known tend to like grotesquely thin women who would be technically underweight. My husband (not white) likes me to be how I am now, which is very curvy.

Anyway, if you do break up with her, can you give her some advice for me: try hispanic men or african american men because they (usually)like curvy women. If she discovers how beautiful hispanic men make her feel, she will never go back."

This statement to try a Hispanic man next time makes little sense when in the other thread she is complaining that Hispanic men treat their wives as slaves. When it was argued that it could be just a personality quirk of her husband, she stated that she doubted it because she had a friend in a similar situation. Her position on that thread makes little sense with her statement on this one about how wonderful a Hispanic man will make a woman feel.

If she had simply said, not all men care if a woman has some curves; my husband doesn’t mind, her opinions wouldn’t necessarily contradict one another.
I’m not saying they’re not connected in her mind. I’m saying that the two things are quite different things if you look at a broader context.

As for her, our loves and frustrations do not always make sense. Emotions are like that, especially when we are right in the middle of them. When you are emotional, it is not hard to nearly demonize your spouse one minute and then practically idolize him the next, to want to have his head off one minute, and to be willing to die defending him the next.

This is why the police hate responding to domestic disputes. When people are fighting and in love at the same time, they’re totally unpredictable. 🤷
 
Just a suggestion:

Let’s please keep the insulting remarks regarding thin women out of the conversation.

I know there haven’t been very many remarks like that here, but there have still been a couple, and that’s a couple too many, IMHO. Some women are just naturally thin, myself included, and it is offensive to hear some of the negative remarks aimed at thinner figures.

As women living in the 21st century, we ALL have a certain level of self consciousness regarding our appearances. We’re not doing ourselves any favors if we keep on throwing rocks at each other’s appearances. The media and Hollywood already do that enough.
I agree with this one hundred percent!!! My natural body weight is very thin.I am very athletic and I am not well endowed because when I am at my natural body weight I have very little fat, but am very toned, and still have curves. Men from a variety of ethnic backgrounds have given me compliments in a very respectful way. I am not saying one body type is better than another, but beauty can be found in all of them, and thin healthy women are just as sexy as other body types.

I agree in that it is just as insulting to make rude comments about think women’s body types as it is about overweight people. Some women are thin, whether it is natural, or through healthy eating and lots of exercise and that body type is just as beautiful as others. Some women have a thin body time that they have through a very healthy lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with that. Being toned and fit does not make us less womanly or attractive or unhealthy eaters.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
I agree with this one hundred percent!!! My natural body weight is very thin.I am very athletic and I am not well endowed because when I am at my natural body weight I have very little fat, but am very toned, and still have curves. Men from a variety of ethnic backgrounds have given me compliments in a very respectful way. I am not saying one body type is better than another, but beauty can be found in all of them, and thin healthy women are just as sexy as other body types.

I agree in that it is just as insulting to make rude comments about think women’s body types as it is about overweight people. Some women are thin, whether it is natural, or through healthy eating and lots of exercise and that body type is just as beautiful as others. Some women have a thin body time that they have through a very healthy lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with that. Being toned and fit does not make us less womanly or attractive or unhealthy eaters.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
Absolutely. I am so tired of seeing threads about overweight problems turn into threads bashing thin women (not saying this is the case in this thread). To me, it is extremely hypocritical.

And I can’t stand the double standard of it being ok for people to make negative remarks about thin bodies, but the worst thing in the world to make negative remarks about overweight bodies. They are both equally rude and uncalled for.
 
Absolutely. I am so tired of seeing threads about overweight problems turn into threads bashing thin women (not saying this is the case in this thread). To me, it is extremely hypocritical.

And I can’t stand the double standard of it being ok for people to make negative remarks about thin bodies, but the worst thing in the world to make negative remarks about overweight bodies. They are both equally rude and uncalled for.
I agree completely!

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
OP, I’ve been in your situation before and decided to ignore my feelings. After marriage my wife put on another 60 lbs and hasn’t looked back.

People - women especially - do not get more attractive as they age. Add to that most women spend less time keeping up their appearances after they are married, so chances are you’re witnessing her at her absolute best right now. If you have a problem with the way she looks now, then odds are it will only get worse after marriage.

If you didn’t like her height or race you wouldn’t actually hold out hope that she could change any of those attributes. I believe you should treat her weight the same way, because the vast majority of obese people who try to lose weight fail. Take her or leave her as she is, but don’t count on anything changing.

You are entering into a relationship where sex is a gift and an obligation. Do you want to be obliged to have sex with someone you aren’t attracted to for the rest of your life? Not to put too fine a point on it but that obligation can be brutally unpleasant.
You say you decided to ignore your feelings. How do you feel about your decision in retrospect?
 
In regards to the Op, why is this such an issue. I will say that I have little experience really in dating. I’ve liked plenty of girls, and while I always felt that I wanted really attractive girls, the girls I was really into and even dated were not always what i’d call the best looking…
But, the important thing was that I thought they were attractive for many other reasons, and also I guess if you really like them, you won’t care.

I think women get this better than men. I feel that for women its more about the personality and how the guy treats them than how he looks. Sure there are your shallow girls, but usually they are high maintenance and aren’t really the type of girls a good christian man should date. Anyway, i will agree with other posters and say that if her weight is such a problem and you can’t get past it, just break up with her, but find a girl who meets your needs, not just an attractive body. If she has all that and an attractive body, then I guess you win, but maybe this will teach you how to be a little more respectful of women
 
In regards to the Op, why is this such an issue. I will say that I have little experience really in dating. I’ve liked plenty of girls, and while I always felt that I wanted really attractive girls, the girls I was really into and even dated were not always what i’d call the best looking…
But, the important thing was that I thought they were attractive for many other reasons, and also I guess if you really like them, you won’t care.

I think women get this better than men. I feel that for women its more about the personality and how the guy treats them than how he looks. Sure there are your shallow girls, but usually they are high maintenance and aren’t really the type of girls a good christian man should date. Anyway, i will agree with other posters and say that if her weight is such a problem and you can’t get past it, just break up with her, but find a girl who meets your needs, not just an attractive body. If she has all that and an attractive body, then I guess you win, but maybe this will teach you how to be a little more respectful of women
I think that’s a common misconception.

I would never and could never marry someone I was not attracted to. Of course, he had to be a great person as well, but that doesn’t mean that looks didn’t matter to me. I definitely had very specific boundaries, such as never wanting to date someone who is overweight or who is shorter than myself or a red head (just a couple examples). Not that there’s anything wrong with those things, it’s just not what I’m personally attracted to. I know for a fact that most women do have a sort of deal breaker type list regarding physical appearance of their partner, so it wasn’t only me.
 
I do believe physical attraction should matter, but I wanted to bring something else up, not sure if anyone else has brought it up already… Kissing doesn’t really mean you are attracted to a person. Some types of kisses (passionate ones) should actually only be reserved for married couples because they are pleasurable and are made to be this way within marriage. Regardless of what type of kisses you guys exchange, I would avoid it, since it is misleading her.
 
I do believe physical attraction should matter, but I wanted to bring something else up, not sure if anyone else has brought it up already… Kissing doesn’t really mean you are attracted to a person. Some types of kisses (passionate ones) should actually only be reserved for married couples because they are pleasurable and are made to be this way within marriage. Regardless of what type of kisses you guys exchange, I would avoid it, since it is misleading her.
You are the first person to bring it up and you are very right. I remember the dude here who was dating 2 chicks at the same time. He kissed or was kissing one of them. When he finally came clean to both of them, seems like they dumped him.

So it’s not something one should be doing with someone he or she is not at all sure to be with, cos it could be misleading as you said.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top