How often do you go to confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smichhertz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This question seems to pop up every couple of months.

May I ask why you are curious about this?
That last post I saw was a few years ago.

Mainly, I just wanted to get a rough idea on how often the average Catholic goes to confession for comparison.
 
Didn’t feel like it was necessary to start a new thread…

Just had my first confession yesterday (going through RCIA) and despite my nervousness it was a very enjoyable experience. I’ve been trying to word the feeling I had afterwards and still do, but the best I can come up with is a “high”.

Looking forward to this sacrament becoming a bigger part of my life (not saying that I’m looking forward to sin though ;))
 
Actually I go as often as needed. For example, I went last Friday evening and here I am needing to go again. Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
I could not have said it better myself. Typically I go once a week or once every other week. We are weak creatures and need the Lord’s forgiveness. Were it not for the Sacrament of Reconciliation I would almost certainly have been lost to despair long ago.
 
I just posted this on a related thread. It is appropriate here too:
Re: Confessing venial sins w/o it being a “laundry list”
While we’re on the subject of Confession, I’d like to share part of a paragraph in my ‘Marian Missal’ for the Tridentine Mass.
Under Devotions for Confession the second paragraph entitled “Before Confession” begins with this:
Quote:
Whoever you are, Christian reader, that designs to approach to the holy Sacrament of Penance, remember that you are going to undertake a work upon the good performance of which, more than any other duty, your eternal welfare depends.
It goes on to encourage the ‘Christian reader’ to examine his/her conscience in a quiet place away from distractions.
 
My goal is every two weeks. A lot of times it ends up being a month or six weeks though…
 
I go to confession1-2 times a week. Sometimes my High School has a delayed opening and so this gives me the time to attend morning Mass. I tend to ‘harass’ the priest into hearing my confession right before mass so I literally start off some of my morning in the best way possible:)
 
I go to confession1-2 times a week. Sometimes my High School has a delayed opening and so this gives me the time to attend morning Mass. I tend to ‘harass’ the priest into hearing my confession right before mass so I literally start off some of my morning in the best way possible:)
Hahahaha.

I’m not confirmed yet but I imagine myself soon being in the same position. It’s great to have that warm feeling of God’s love after confession I’m guessing!
 
A very good priest recommended going to confession once a month at minimum and going immediately if one commits a mortal sin.

Sincerely,

Maria1212
 
The Church encourages frequent confession when it offers plenary indulgences that are attached to an action coupled with Confession and Holy Communion. We had Stations of the Cross last Friday night and I went to confession on Saturday mostly to gain the pleanry indulgence. The First Saturdays require confession. I have never had the chance to do First Fridays. Same thing I am guessing. So just because someone goes to confession more frequently doesn’t necessarily even imply “a need” to go.
 
Not as often as I would like to… it really depends…
I’m trying to go monthly 🙂 or when needed.
 
The Church encourages frequent confession when it offers plenary indulgences that are attached to an action coupled with Confession and Holy Communion. We had Stations of the Cross last Friday night and I went to confession on Saturday mostly to gain the pleanry indulgence. The First Saturdays require confession. I have never had the chance to do First Fridays. Same thing I am guessing. So just because someone goes to confession more frequently doesn’t necessarily even imply “a need” to go.
That’s a good point. I didn’t think about indulgences. How often do you need to go for that?

I know that you are supposed to go to confession, receive communion and do the indulgence (not necessarily within that order) within a certain set period of time, but what is that period of time?
 
That’s a good point. I didn’t think about indulgences. How often do you need to go for that?

I know that you are supposed to go to confession, receive communion and do the indulgence (not necessarily within that order) within a certain set period of time, but what is that period of time?
If you go to Confession at least once every two weeks, you will cover most Indulgences. The rest of the activities (Holy Communion, prayers for the Pope, the action itself, and anything that pertains to the action itself) are ideally done on the same day or at the earliest opportunity, if your parish doesn’t have daily Mass.
 
If you go to Confession at least once every two weeks, you will cover most Indulgences. The rest of the activities (Holy Communion, prayers for the Pope, the action itself, and anything that pertains to the action itself) are ideally done on the same day or at the earliest opportunity, if your parish doesn’t have daily Mass.
Thank you! Would you happen to know if there is there any sort of church document backing this up?
 
Before yesterday, I couldn’t really answer this…it had been 16 years. Now I plan to go once a month or so- more frequently if necessery.
 
when needed. if i have no sins then why go to confession? so i cannot go as often as some as i have no sins to confess. i feel foolish going when i have nothing to confess.
 
when needed. if i have no sins then why go to confession? so i cannot go as often as some as i have no sins to confess. i feel foolish going when i have nothing to confess.
I find that if I look hard enough, there is always something - listening to gossip, partaking in unworthy conversation, wasting time, neglecting a necessary duty, becoming distracted, eating when not hungry, staying awake past bed time, or procrastinating. Unless one has actually become perfect in every way, there are plenty of venial sins to confess every single day. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top