How old were you when you got married!

  • Thread starter Thread starter TarAshly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats, my wife and I were both 22 and there were some people who thought we were too young and “needed to get better established financially.” What a buch of misguided advice. It’s now 2 and a half years later and the Lord has truely provided. We are doing fine financially and have two beautiful daughters.
I don’t really know where those peoples advice came from, 2 can definately live cheaper as a married couple than as singles.
Oh well, Congratulations again.
 
40.png
timbo1980:
Congrats, my wife and I were both 22 and there were some people who thought we were too young and “needed to get better established financially.” What a buch of misguided advice…
We had the same advice from our pre-cana couple–that we should postpone our marriage and establish ourselves . . . (we had just graduated from college). But I wouldn’t change a thing. We have struggled and still do financially (I stay at home) but God always provides and to see Him do that makes us blest.
Besides, if we had waited to establish ourselves financially, we probably would still be waiting 😉
 
We were both 24 although my wife is 2 weeks older than me and, therefore, the proverbial older woman! After more than 19 years, she is absolutely my best friend.

Congratulations to both of you and may you have a great and long life together!

Peace

Tim
 
Im not married… im 22 and stilll looking…guess this doesnt mean anything to this thread
 
I was 27 when I got married, but I started dating my soon to be husband when I was 21. I was best friends with his sister when we were growing up. So I spent lots of time at there house. We had our first and so far only child in 1997, I was almost 30. It was not all what I had planned for my life. I wanted to be married by 21 and have 3 boys by the age of 25. But I guess that is not what God had planned for me. It was also my husband who brought me to this beautiful faith! I thank God daily for all the wonderful blessings he has given me.
 
I married my best friend when we were both 19. 😃
That was 22 years ago! Seems like yesterday.
This year we both joined RCIA, I am a cradle catholic
and he is converting!! Yippee!!

Blessings to you and your future husband.

onebzzymom
 
i was a babe of 22 and she was a babe of 21… entirely too young to get hitched…
 
My husband was 23 and I was 22. But if we had fallen in love a few years sooner, I am sure we would have been mature enough to handle it. One of my best friends got married as a sophmore in college (19 yrs old) and I was shocked and thought she was crazy. That was 5 years ago and since then I have realized that it truly depends on each couple. And ultimately anyone outside of a relationship cannot truly know what is between a man and a woman discerning or getting married, so you can listen to the advice of others

For my friend, being married those last two years of college made her and her husband both more diligent in their school work and in many ways have finished growing up together.

I think some people need to “grow up” before they get married. Others, like my friend, need to have their spouse to assist them in “growing up”. After all, it is your spouse’s vocation to help you become a saint!

So each situation is different and with prayer and discernment (I would suggest a spiritual director), you can come to know what God is calling you to.

Another way to make you feel better—My husband and I were one of about 30 or more couples who got married from age 19-25 from our college church–the Newman foundation and the University of Illinois. I can say with confidence that I think all of those marriages and those vocations that continue to flower at that church are thriving. Many of these couples already at the ages of 22-27 have one or more children and are loving it.

If you need spiritual direction or advise, you could probably contact the Newman Center at U of I and e-mail one of the priests or sisters. They are awesome.

Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Joseph protector of the family, pray for us.
God bless.
 
I was 36 and she was 38. Been a wonderful 7 years come December 19th. Tis’ even better now that we’re in the Church–she’s returning and I’m converting.
 
I just got married last July. I was and still am 23 and my husband was 25 (he just turned 26 a few weeks ago). We didn’t get any flack about being too young - it helped alot that my parents married when both were 20 and his when both were 22.
 
We were both 19. Most people thought we were too young and said it wouldn’t last 6 months. We’ve been married for 16 1/2 years now:D . A lot of our friends and relatives have been married, divorced and re-married since. I guess we proved them wrong. We’ve been very happy. We were not married Catholic. I recently converted this past year. Hubby will not even think about it:nope: . We’ve been through some ups and downs through the years, way more ups though. Every relationship has it’s down periods, which I think help strengthen the bonds over time. We promised each other that no matter what we faced, as long as we had each other we could get through anything. I wouldn’t go back and change anything, even if I could. :love:

~L~
 
I was 26, but my wife was 22. We were engaged for two years, which meant that she got engaged at 20. My parents were both 23 when they were married. Age is not nearly so important as maturity. I know many 35 year olds who are “too young” to be married.
 
We were 24/23. I don’t think age matters for the most part. Its whether or not you truly have respect for each other, share the same values, agree on how you spend your money and time whether it is the same or not, but that you accept it. If you have gone to precana and have had compatibility discussions etc. and really put some serious thought into discussing those issues, you should feel comfortable with your decision.

We have had our share of ups and downs and mostly because my husband on rare occasion, gets a little too wild and reckless. I keep wondering at what point will he grow up? ha. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never lived together, even for how short a time, and I would have made some little things (when we were young and wild) more of a big deal prior to committing to marriage.
 
Proverbs 5:18
Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.
 
I haven’t been married and probably never will. Need a girlfriend first anyhow.
 
We are both 24 and got married last month =)
We should have done it much much sooner! 4-6 yrs sooner =)
Don’t let how much it cost deter you (general you) because God can help you find a way! Many people pitched in to help us.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top