How should I tell them

  • Thread starter Thread starter Looking_back
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TO the OP, I would tell her that you are sorry because you know this hurts her, but you also know that you respect her too much to be dishonest with her about your feelings or beliefs. Tell her you love her and want her to understand that this is your decision.

God bless you on your journey…you have my prayers.
 
To the Op~when you state that you have met with pastors and priests, I must wonder~I am sure that no priest could encourage you to leave the church, just as I am sure that no pastor would encourage you to stay in the Catholic church. I also wonder if you had truely made a decision since you stated that you wanted to see if there would be a post that could convince you to stay. You must discern why you feel the need to leave and make sure that you are not being influenced by someone who has feelings against the Catholic church. It is ok to have questions about the faith, but dont leave the one true faith over them! You will be prayed for!! God Bless!
 
Hmmm…sorry OP but out of love I won’t assist you in doing what I know is the wrong thing. Truth is not a matter of “feelings” and letting our hearts be so easily deceived. People decide they are “at peace” with a million different things in this world…doesn’t make any of them good and right and true and faithful.
Praying for you and your parents, especially your mother.

By the way, I left the Church for 10 years…and now every time I am privileged enough to attend Mass or sit quietly in the Adoration Chapel, I can’t believe I left HIM, for any reason my mind and heart came up with. And despite the fact that I KNOW my sins are forgiven through Confession, my sorrow over my unfaithfulness to His bride (and JOY that He took me back) will be something I carry with me every day.

God bless.
 
Actually. I came here to see if talking with people and reading conversations would do anything to change my mind — the last chance as it were. And, to be honest. It did nothing but put me totally at peace with my decision. I hope I will always be a friend of the Catholic Church but I can’t see being an active part of the Catholic Church. I don’t plan to just no longer go to mass but to formally defect, although it appears even that means less than it once did.
What have you done to embrace the faith?

Have you volunteered with the church?
Have you taught CCD?
Have you attended adoration? Morning Mass?
Have you followed ALL her teachings?

If you really are interested in a “last chance” then please answer. 🙂

If you just want to take some cherry picked comments from posters to justify leaving as you mentioned above in your cheap shot, then we can only pray for you.😦
 
Have you taught CCD?
the General Directory of Catechesis and the National Directory of Catechesis insist the Catechists (and the religion teachers in catholic schools) must be “practicing Catholics who participate fully in the communal worship and life of the Church…” (Nat’l Directory p.228, 229) It goes on to say that catechists must be trained, must have a love of the Triune God, authenticity, personal prayer life, a missionary zeal, participation esp. in Sunday Eucharist, a devotion to the Blessed Mother, and a devotion to the Eucharist.

there are far too many failures to meet this standard in parish religious education programs and in Catholic schools. it’s possible, it was just this sort of failure which put the OP on the path of the crisis of faith she’s experiencing today.
 
If nothing else, do not the grace of the sacraments mean anything to you?
 
After much (read years) of thought, study, prayers, meetings with pastors and priests, I’ve decided to take the final step and leave the Catholic Church. Any thoughts on how, when, and where I should break the news to my parents. I know my dad will be fine with it. My mother will be hurt. But, I know, without any shadow of doubt, that it’s the right thing.
“But, I know, without any shadow of doubt, that it’s the right thing.” ???

You can truly believe it is the "right thing"in your mind, but you can also be 100% wrong!

**Only Jesus knows “WITHOUT ANY DOUBT!” **

i’m so glad to read your post & discover that you’re in charge of all truth & knowledge!

Don’t confuse taking the easy way out with the “right thing!” The most beautiful things in life are always the most challenging, the most difficult, the most unpopular!!!

i’m sure your mother sacrificed many things to give birth to & raise you, but she would never hurt you!

**Before you break your mother’s heart & leave her with an unnecessary & undeserved scar, before you turn your back on Jesus & His Church, take some time to reflect, to pray, to think. What’s the rush???
**
You & only you, alone, without attorneys, without clever words or even passionate emotions, will have to stand before Jesus & answer for your life at your death.

i ignored & denied the Perfect Love of Jesus as is completely presented through His Catholic Church for 30+ years. My heart breaks at my every night when i pray to Jesus for forgiveness. His infinite Mercy allows me to rejoice in His Love everyday now!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark
 
I will pray for you. But there is no way I would ever be able to offer you any advice on how to break this kind of news to your parents when I think you are making a terrible mistake No fellow Catholic should support you or aid you in turning away from the Church. It truly saddens me that you are even considering doing such a thing. I also believe, just like the Prodigal Son, you will come back to the Church someday and I will be waiting to welcome you will love and open arms. God Bless you on your journey.
 
Actually. I came here to see if talking with people and reading conversations would do anything to change my mind — the last chance as it were. And, to be honest. It did nothing but put me totally at peace with my decision. I hope I will always be a friend of the Catholic Church but I can’t see being an active part of the Catholic Church. I don’t plan to just no longer go to mass but to formally defect, although it appears even that means less than it once did.
You need to try talking to some kind of spirtual director in your parish, might try making a cursillo or some kind of weekend reatreat of some kind. The Catholic Church is the Church that Christ left for us and for you to turn your back on it would be bad but GOD will aways be there for you.

GOD be with you though your decison and guide you!!!
 
After much (read years) of thought, study, prayers, meetings with pastors and priests, I’ve decided to take the final step and leave the Catholic Church. Any thoughts on how, when, and where I should break the news to my parents. I know my dad will be fine with it. My mother will be hurt. But, I know, without any shadow of doubt, that it’s the right thing.
Why is this necessary? If you want to go to another ecclesial community to worship you are free to do so. I take it your husband is Lutheran and you want to have your family be in one church? Well, just do it. You shouldn’t have to tell anyone about it or explain it to anyone. Not that I’m encouraging you to leave the Catholic Church, I’m not. All I’m saying is why hurt others if it isn’t necessary?

It may be that after attending elsewhere for a few years you will find yourself longing for the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, once again. When that happens, and if your mother’s prayer mean anything it will, feel free to go to confession and be reconciled to Christ’s Church, once again.

Jesus is ever patient, even when we don’t understand or think we have to do X, Y, or Z. He knows the real motives of our hearts better than we do ourselves. I remembered you and your family in Evening Prayer this evening. I hope you will be open to the truth and not just to your feelings or societal pressures or whatever because it is the truth that sets us free and nothing else.
 
First, let me say that no one here did anything wrong that suddenly pushed me over the edge. I came here after the decision was all but made in the hope that I would see the kinds of things that I really do like about the Catholic Church. Instead I saw a lot of intolerance, a degree of sexism, intolerance from some, racism from some. I know. I can find that anywhere at anytime. What disappointed me was the bickering over petty rules that have nothing to really do with the true message of the church.
For over five years I’ve felt like a liar at every mass I’ve attended. I’ve felt angry many times as I felt a little farther from God every time I went to mass. Was I involved? Yes. Did I pray? Yes. Did I go to confession? Yes. Retreats? Yes. You name it, I did it. I finally made a list, and it was clear I was not ( in my heart) Catholic and it wasn’t likely I ever would be.
  1. I don’t believe in the pope’s of the magesterium’s infallibility
  2. I don’t believe the pope is St. Peter’s successor. I think it’s a manmade office.
  3. I don’t believe St. Peter is “the rock” Jesus was speaking of.
  4. I don’t believe in the Immaculate Conception or the Assumption, and looking back on it, I never have.
  5. I don’t think Catholic clergy are any more valid than protestant clergy or have any special abilities that a protestant clergy person would not have
  6. I’ve never believed that any saint could intercede for me and felt like a liar anytime I said a Hail Mary.
  7. I believe the Catholic Church is part of the one true church but is not THE one true church
  8. I’m pro choice and have marched for pro choice rights and probably will again
  9. I’m in favor of contraception, use it, and will not apologize or ask forgiveness for doing so
  10. I’m in favor of capital punishment and I can see situations where euthanasia would be a good thing
  11. I support the ordination of women
  12. Having known a lesbian couple as our neighbors for over 20 years I think the Church should give their relationship some recognition. I don’t care what the church wants to call it, but they’ve earned something. They have been the epitome of what the Catholic Church teaches, they just happen to be both women. So they’re just, as one of our deacons calls them “the God damn dykes” who he tries to place out of public view.
  13. I think it’s entirely possible that Jesus had brothers and sisters and that Mary and Joseph’s marriage was a normal one after Jesus’ birth
  14. I do not pray for the souls of the departed as I feel they are totally beyond my prayers and in the hands of the lord
  15. I believe the sacraments(als) of many protestant churches are just as valid as those in any Catholic church.
    On Palm Sunday, I will become a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I told my mother today, and I was shocked at how well she took it. She was curious rather than hurt and wants to know much more about the ELCA as she knows Lutherans as “sort of like Catholics but without the Virgin Mary.” So, she wants to learn more.
 
I am sad that you reject Christ. I will pray for you to return to Jesus.
 
On Palm Sunday, I will become a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I told my mother today, and I was shocked at how well she took it. She was curious rather than hurt and wants to know much more about the ELCA as she knows Lutherans as “sort of like Catholics but without the Virgin Mary.” So, she wants to learn more.
Out of curiosity, why Lutheran? Why do you think their beliefs are true? What appeals to you about their beliefs?

I’m a little bit like you, I used to be a strong Catholic but I lost faith. But I haven’t made the move to another branch of Christianity because they seem to all be built on the same foundation I no longer believe in.

Edit: after I responded to this thread I went and changed my religion profile, I have been wondering if I can call myself Catholic still and I don’t think I can.
 
First, let me say that no one here did anything wrong that suddenly pushed me over the edge. I came here after the decision was all but made in the hope that I would see the kinds of things that I really do like about the Catholic Church. Instead I saw a lot of intolerance, a degree of sexism, intolerance from some, racism from some. I know. I can find that anywhere at anytime. What disappointed me was the bickering over petty rules that have nothing to really do with the true message of the church.
For over five years I’ve felt like a liar at every mass I’ve attended. I’ve felt angry many times as I felt a little farther from God every time I went to mass. Was I involved? Yes. Did I pray? Yes. Did I go to confession? Yes. Retreats? Yes. You name it, I did it. I finally made a list, and it was clear I was not ( in my heart) Catholic and it wasn’t likely I ever would be.
  1. I don’t believe in the pope’s of the magesterium’s infallibility
  2. I don’t believe the pope is St. Peter’s successor. I think it’s a manmade office.
  3. I don’t believe St. Peter is “the rock” Jesus was speaking of.
  4. I don’t believe in the Immaculate Conception or the Assumption, and looking back on it, I never have.
  5. I don’t think Catholic clergy are any more valid than protestant clergy or have any special abilities that a protestant clergy person would not have
  6. I’ve never believed that any saint could intercede for me and felt like a liar anytime I said a Hail Mary.
  7. I believe the Catholic Church is part of the one true church but is not THE one true church
  8. I’m pro choice and have marched for pro choice rights and probably will again
  9. I’m in favor of contraception, use it, and will not apologize or ask forgiveness for doing so
  10. I’m in favor of capital punishment and I can see situations where euthanasia would be a good thing
  11. I support the ordination of women
  12. Having known a lesbian couple as our neighbors for over 20 years I think the Church should give their relationship some recognition. I don’t care what the church wants to call it, but they’ve earned something. They have been the epitome of what the Catholic Church teaches, they just happen to be both women. So they’re just, as one of our deacons calls them “the God damn dykes” who he tries to place out of public view.
  13. I think it’s entirely possible that Jesus had brothers and sisters and that Mary and Joseph’s marriage was a normal one after Jesus’ birth
  14. I do not pray for the souls of the departed as I feel they are totally beyond my prayers and in the hands of the lord
  15. I believe the sacraments(als) of many protestant churches are just as valid as those in any Catholic church.
    On Palm Sunday, I will become a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I told my mother today, and I was shocked at how well she took it. She was curious rather than hurt and wants to know much more about the ELCA as she knows Lutherans as “sort of like Catholics but without the Virgin Mary.” So, she wants to learn more.
If I were your mother and knew of the above (hard to hide), I would not have been surprised
either.Just hard to understand how you can believe the above if you’ve really studied the
Catholic Church’s teachings and the “why” behind them. I have friends who confront me
with anger about some of your beliefs but it is hard to talk to them because they cut me
off by telling me some emotional stories and not listening to facts. I, too, have known
wonderful people who are living a gay lifestyle, but I pray they will live chaste lives for
THEIR untimate salvation.By the way, most of them don’t want a “marriage.”
I have a good Lutheran friend who believes a lot of what you don’t (and so did Luther!!!)
Go figure.
 
I would have to ask the same… as someone who was almost a Presbyterian minister and almost a Psychiatrist, was once pro-choice, taught contraception etc… I spent many years (like 20) searching for the Truth God put on my heart as a Youth Minister many years earlier.

It was at Mass many years after that I truly felt at home and started considering becoming Catholic. I remember praying that I would trust God but how could I get past the “Real Presence thing” and how could pray to Saints? I had grown up in a very anti-Catholic Baptist Church and left due to the BS and joined the Presbyterian Church while in High School.

After much research, Church Theology, Reformer Theology (Luther, Calvin, Knox etc…), Historical etc… and prayer things started to make sense.

Do I still have some teachings I believe may not be correct? Yes, indeed I do but I trust God that He will take care of those in time.

If you truly do your research from reputable sources, most of what you posted you will find that the Protestants are wrong and the Church is correct. If you REALLY read the Reformers you will see that most of them are more Catholic than some Catholics today… and most would not recognize or claim that Church that bears their name. Luther might be ok with the MO Synod Lutheran Church but he would not condone the others for they are giving up the Eucharist which to him was the key, he was also very devout to the Blessed Mother as well? Did you know that?

I also have to wonder if you are a mother yet? I ask because of your stated pro-choice position. I was there… I didn’t believe life began at conception which is really the crux of the issue right or is it choice? A Rabbi friend of mine joked at an abortion debate once that for him Life begins “when the dog dies and the kids go off to college.” In the middle ages many believed (and some still do) that life begins at “the quickening” or when the mother can feel the child. If that is the case then being pro-choice is ok right (not late term though)? I mean the argument is that no one should tell a woman what to do with HER body? But that’s not the issue… the issue IS when life begins. When my wife was pregnant with our first pregnancy she miscarried… we knew, we knew our child had been alive and was not a clump of tissues. Being a biology and psych major I set out (this is before we were even considering the Church) to do some research as our feelings were probably due to the loss, excitement or any number of other psycho-physiological factors. What I found was medical and philosophical arguments on why life did begin at conception. Medical technology, especially obstetrics has advanced a great deal since the 80s and now we can see what many devout Catholics and other Pro-Life individuals were saying… life begins at conception. Why do you think most abortion Dr.s are old and no one is taking their place? It’s not because there is no money in it, it’s not because they have to deal with a few protesters it’s because they have delivered babies, they have seen tiny appendages move, it’s because they took a vow to save life not destroy it. Abortion has nothing to do with a woman rights, it has to do with murder plain and simple… and that conclusion from my point of view has nothing to do with the Church, yet they came to that conclusion well before the medical community did.

So what about the Lesbians? I have a lot of gay friends, some are couples that have been together for years and probably indeed do live better lives than some people in a sacramental marriage… they may have even raised better children than some normal parents. But that doesn’t change the teachings of the Church. There are many things our genetics lead us to do, even CALL us to do but we choose not to do those things. This burden is especially difficult for those who are gay because the Church calls them not to act on their sexuality at all when a secular society tells them all is ok. The Church isn’t passing judgment, rather they are saying that if you choose to follow Christ, you can’t act on those feelings, just like they say if you choose to be a Priest in the Western Rite you can’t be married, or if you choose to get married you can’t sleep with anyone else… these are all choices. You choose to follow or you don’t, ignoring them just because we don’t like them or they are difficult isn’t going to make a difference in the long run and frankly do you really think those women need the approval of the Church? Why is that an issue?

Whew… I’m long winded but being from the other side for many years I felt I had to share some of this.

I would encourage you to read the Early Church Fathers on what the early Christians believed, pre “formal” Church in Rome, pre-Reformers etc… What did those closest to the time of Christ believe? While you do that look up some information on the Church’s in Syria and how they practice, some even do their Mass in Aramaic and have been since the time of Christ (the nation no longer speaks Aramaic but Christ did…) Do you really believe those people are wrong and some guys in Europe 1500 years later found the key?

<cont…>
 
The bottom line for me is this… look at the Bible, the WHOLE Bible and pick out some themes. There are some easily identifiable ones, love God and take care of those around you. Look at Cain when questioned about Able “am I my brothers keeper?” Well yea… you are. Look at the Great Commandments, the sermon on the mount etc… look at the teaching of the Church and you will find they are right in line.

Now are you going to find people in Church who don’t get it? Sure, yea… even Priests and probably a few Bishops as well, like the Priest you quoted who need to learn not to judge. Remember that the Pope is just a man, and he goes to confession, read books, watches TV, prays etc… just like we do, but there are a few moments when he is called to represent and preside of Christ’s Church here on Earth and he speaks infallibly. It’s rare but the Bible promises us that the Church will not fail. While you are doubting the structure go back and read about King David and Solomon… pay attention to the structure David left when he was away at War (it will be familiar) then pull out your geography book and history book to find out what was at the place where Christ told Peter he was the Rock (it was a big landmark in ancient times) and also note that there is only 1 word for rock in Aramaic. (Christ’s words would have been in Aramaic not Greek)

Again… this post isn’t meant as sarcasm just try to point out you may still have some things to think about, I would encourage you to do so. I believe that God puts people where He wants them so there may be some who are Protestant and will never see the Truth of the Church, just like there are some Catholics who never saw the Truth while they were here but had to leave to come back and find it. As someone who states they are sincerely searching… I believe you owe it to yourself you take a little more time and research the Church’s teachings… outside the Church for verification if you will.

Feel free to send me a PM if I can answer any questions,

You are in my prayers,

Joe
 
Actually. I came here to see if talking with people and reading conversations would do anything to change my mind — the last chance as it were. And, to be honest. It did nothing but put me totally at peace with my decision. I hope I will always be a friend of the Catholic Church but I can’t see being an active part of the Catholic Church. I don’t plan to just no longer go to mass but to formally defect, although it appears even that means less than it once did.
You can’t defect. What are you going to do, unbaptise yourself? The only way you can 'defect is to become not a Christian. The only way you can do that is either become a Muslim or by starting to behave in a non-Christian way and that, my friend, will get you in jail. Think about that last statement and I’m reasonably sure you’ll get what I mean.

I turned my back on the Catholic Chuirch years ago. So many changes and so many things I disagreed with. I even argued with Priests and anybody else who’d listen. But I’ll tell you this, I didn’t go to my poor mother and say “Hey Mum, I’m quitting the Catholic Church”. What good would that have done? It would have achieved nothing but hurt her and nothing to have made me right. So I just walked away. No Mass, no Confession, just went away and did my own thing. However, I still couldn’t stop behaving and treating others the way I’d been brought up to. That stayed with me. So, even though I was fed up with the Church, I still lived, thought and behaved the same way. See, that’s what I meant about ‘unbaptising’ yourself. 🙂

Then one day, years later, I heard a young female Catholic outreach worker being interviewed by a fairly radical left wing, anti-religious interveiwer on the radio. Oh man, he gave her curry. yet she stayed calm while this radio shock jock turkey hammered her and the catholic Chirch mercilessly. Then she came up with a line that really floored me and the radio interviewer and probably everyone else who was listening. It went along these lines - She explained how we all belong to a family. Everyone of us may love our family to whatever extent and some of us love our family unconditionally. However, none of us belongs to a perfect family. We argue, we fight, we party, we play, we make mistakes and most of the time get along pretty well. No matter what faults our parents and siblings may have, they are still our family and we love them. She then said that’s how it is with the Catholic Church. It isn’t perfect, it isn’t always right all the time, but it’s the family we have and so we love it and it succours us.

It made sense to me and besides, if there are things you don’t like, or agree with in the Church, or in your family, walking away is not the way to change what you disagree with. Besides, from my experience, there aint nothing else out there.
 
7) I believe the Catholic Church is part of the one true church but is not THE one true church
Do you really believe that Jesus instituted a church that is comprised of a multitude of churches that, while they believe in Him, cannot agree on everything Jesus taught?

Jesus instituted one church. The Catholic Church. All other Christian churches are breakaways - either from the Catholic Church or from one of the original breakaways. Why? Because we human beings are sinners through and through. Jesus, being God, was totally aware of that and so He instituted One Church, with a hierarchy comprising of Bishops with one Bishop as the head (the keeper of the keys).

We are all given the gift of faith at Baptism but we must nourish it. We cannot nourish it be pridefully rejecting any of the teachings of Jesus’ Church just because we do not agree with them.

I hope your mother follows in St. Monica’s footsteps, praying continuously for her child’s conversion until it happens.
 
  1. I don’t believe in the pope’s of the magesterium’s infallibility
Infallibility in what? The Pope’s infallibility is only in ex cathedra teachings. Nothing else. The Magisterium is infallible in matters of faith and morals. Do you believe that the Bible is the word of God, written by humans? Why can’t God ensure that the head of His Church on earth was infallible in the important bits?
  1. I don’t believe the pope is St. Peter’s successor. I think it’s a manmade office.
So what was St. Peter?
  1. I don’t believe St. Peter is “the rock” Jesus was speaking of.
Matthew 16: 18-20 - What then was Jesus referring to? Peter must have been something special to have been given the keys to heaven.
  1. I don’t believe in the Immaculate Conception or the Assumption, and looking back on it, I never have.
Why not? Because it’s not in the Bible? That then becomes an issue of “sola scriptura” versus tradition with scripture. Probably worth looking into the arguments for and against this.
  1. I don’t think Catholic clergy are any more valid than protestant clergy or have any special abilities that a protestant clergy person would not have
Well, if you don’t believe in the succession of anointing from Jesus to Peter through all the Catholic Bishops to the present time, I guess you can only see Priests as men with status. Protestant clergy do not have this unbroken succession.
  1. I’ve never believed that any saint could intercede for me and felt like a liar anytime I said a Hail Mary.
Would you ask your friend to pray for you? We are all, living and dead, part of the communion of saints. Those in Heaven can pray for those of us still alive. I think the devil is attacking you to make you feel like a liar - Mary is the greatest help we have in interceding for us.
  1. I believe the Catholic Church is part of the one true church but is not THE one true church
Until all the protestant groups broke away, there was one Christian Church. Then people began to disagree and break away. One cannot profess to be a Catholic, except for this or that. Do you think God would allow for us to decide which bits of his religion we choose to follow, and which bits He was wrong about? Therefore, how can the other Christian denominations be part of the true Church, when they have changed the beliefs?
  1. I’m pro choice and have marched for pro choice rights and probably will again
Thou shalt not kill
  1. I’m in favor of contraception, use it, and will not apologize or ask forgiveness for doing so
catholic.com/library/Birth_Control.asp I suspect that to some degree this is a stance you’re taking because it’s too hard these days to follow the NFP method or (God forbid) actually have the children that God wants you to have. I know it’s hard, I struggled with it myself, but if you just let go and let God, things have a way of working out, and there are unexpected blessings (I’m not speaking of the children, although they are blessings).
  1. I’m in favor of capital punishment and I can see situations where euthanasia would be a good thing
Thou shalt not kill.
  1. I support the ordination of women
catholic.com/thisrock/1996/9601fea3.asp
  1. Having known a lesbian couple as our neighbors for over 20 years I think the Church should give their relationship some recognition. I don’t care what the church wants to call it, but they’ve earned something. They have been the epitome of what the Catholic Church teaches, they just happen to be both women. So they’re just, as one of our deacons calls them “the God damn dykes” who he tries to place out of public view.
I’ll defer to previous answers on that one.
  1. I think it’s entirely possible that Jesus had brothers and sisters and that Mary and Joseph’s marriage was a normal one after Jesus’ birth
This one comes down to language. Why do people so desperately want to reduce the status of Mary to a mere ordinary woman who did one amazing thing and then went on to be just like the rest of us? She was the Mother of God. She gave birth to Jesus. She raised Him, she nurtured Him. She suffered with Him. Isn’t it better to give her the benefit of the doubt?
  1. I do not pray for the souls of the departed as I feel they are totally beyond my prayers and in the hands of the lord
“For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin” (2 Macc. 12:44-45).
  1. I believe the sacraments(als) of many protestant churches are just as valid as those in any Catholic church.
Refer to the previous answer about the Priests.
On Palm Sunday, I will become a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. I told my mother today, and I was shocked at how well she took it. She was curious rather than hurt and wants to know much more about the ELCA as she knows Lutherans as “sort of like Catholics but without the Virgin Mary.” So, she wants to learn more.
I will pray for you, because I suspect that this decision is based more on conforming to your husband’s beliefs than anything else. The information is out there, and easily found. If you are truly searching for the right answers, then keep questioning, and try to do it without an agenda, and with lots of prayer that God will lead you to the right place, no matter how hard it might be to accept the truth.

No matter what you believe, the truth is still the truth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top