I think I can see where you’re coming from. I’m pretty proud of who I am (minus a small albeit persistent flaw

). However, reading the Litany, I have difficulty reconciling who I am with it. This is not to say I am arrogant but eh, I’m pretty competitive and want to earn the respect so people will learn to take me seriously when I need it.
**I can’t fully agree though with not reminding people of their place. **Again, this doesn’t mean I promote tyranny. However, there are times when respect for a person’s authority is crucial. (Take war time for instance or in politics.)
Reminding people of their place can be a great act of charity, as long as we remember our own place. I’ll share a few examples.
Our holy Father Francis was on his way to war when he heard a voice ask him, “Francis, is it better to serve the master or the servant?” Francis immediately answered, “The master, of course.” The voice responded, “Why do you seek to serve the servant?” God was not speaking about serving others. He was asking Francis why he was seeking to serve himself, rather than serve God. Even God puts us in our place.
Another example: When Francis founded our religious family he dictated the rule to Brother Leio. When Br. Leo read it back to him Francis was disturbed. Br. Leo had written the word “Prior” into the rule. It was and is the common title for superiors of mendicant orders. Br. Leo thought that this is what Francis meant to say, in the chapter on obedience. So, that’s what he wrote. Francis corrected him and said, “Add this to the rule. Let no brother ever call himself either Father or Prior, for the superior’s place is to be the guardian of his brothers as Joseph was the Guardian of the Child Jesus. No one is to be a Father or the First, because the first shall be the last and the last shall be first.” The message was that the person who is in command is really at the service of those whom he commands and is responsible for them and for what they do, not above them. Whatever he commands must be for their good and the good of those whom they serve. This applies in civil and secular life as well. Unfortunately, secular society today has forgotten that those in authority are to serve and protect. Even the CEO of Microsoft must serve and protect his employees, if he wants to see a profit.
My last example is closer to home. A parent is not the child, nor is he the child’s buddy. He is the parent. The child is not the parent, nor is he the parent’s friend. He is the child. Each must remind the other of his place. It is the place of the parent to protect, nurutre, guide, correct, love, and reward. It is the place of the child to grow, learn, mature, and care for his parent in his old age. In my ministry I have seen many children out of control. When I look closely, I find many parents who are not being parents. The child is screaming for someone to take charge. The point then is that there is always rank and file in life. It is built into human nature. But each rank has duties, not just rights.
There is not glory in doing what you’re supposed to do. If another thanks you for it, that is not justice, that is charity. To be thanked for taking care of my child is an act of charity on my child’s part, not an act of justice. I have a duty to take care of my child. Sometimes we expect gratitude for doing our duty. That is not humility. True humility is the execution of duty without expecting recognition for doing what is your obligation.
Fraternally,
Br. JR, OSF
