I ate meat on Friday did I commit a mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trap_344
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i Could have not got meat but they already had bacon so I decided screw it , I was not in the right mind I was hungry , kinda like the snickers commercials
 
Me and my dad (doesn’t care for Catholics) he got the only shrimp left, I got loaded nachos with brisket (it was a bbq place all they had was meat ) knowing it was Friday but not wanting to make him mad , would this be a mortal sin or venial . Sorry for bad grammar and English
It was venial.
 
Me and my dad (doesn’t care for Catholics) he got the only shrimp left, I got loaded nachos with brisket (it was a bbq place all they had was meat ) knowing it was Friday but not wanting to make him mad , would this be a mortal sin or venial . Sorry for bad grammar and English
On another note…why was there even shrimp at a BBQ place?
 
If you wanted to observe a meatless Friday, was there some reason you couldn’t haven’t asked for the brisket not to be included? I know at Taco Bell they have triple layer nachos with nacho cheese, beans, and red sauce. No meat. Maybe the place would have accommodated you.
I think there is some intimidation going on from the parental units:
my dad (doesn’t care for Catholics)
My parents don’t like catholic so I have to wait till I’m a adult to be confirmed , I’m only 14
If he had made a special request like that it may only stoke the fire.

I doubt there is even a venial sin here.
 
Last edited:
well,both parties were sort of right. we do have the option of substituting another penance in place of abstinence from meat, which is what I personally probably would have done had I been in your situation. nOt just if people are hostile to the faith, but if they aren’t catholic, I wouldn’t really want ot make them go out of their way to prepare different food just for me
 
of course. That’s where the concept of charitableness to neighbour comes in, and releases one from the obligation, in this case. See the post above: “In awkward social situations, when trying to avoid hostility, it is permissible — because of charity — to consider yourself dispensed from the obligation to abstain from meat.”
 
Last edited:
You are not yet formally Catholic to my understanding, so don’t worry about it.
 
Friday during lent sorry for the mistake
 
Last edited:
Why would I not tell people to be careful when receiving the dreadful mystery of the Eucharist?

Wanton disregard for being worthy to receive Communion is an aberration, not the norm of the Holy Faith.

When in doubt, sit it out.

Better to not receive when possibly in a state of grace (no sin at all) than to receive while in a state of sin (the sin of sacrilege).

When in doubt, sit it out.

Anyways, I understand this person is not yet Catholic - so he is not obliged to abstain from meat anyway, so it’s not a sin for him at all - not even venial. Plus he can’t receive Communion anyway. So it’s totally a moot point.
 
There have been times I forgot when out to lunch or something, ordered meat. What I’ve done is just give it up another day that week. It’s the act of sacrifice that matters, giving something up, not that it’s specifically Friday.
 
Why would I not tell people to be careful when receiving the dreadful mystery of the Eucharist?
You can, but that’s not what you did here. When you are in doubt you can sit it out. But don’t tell others to live by what your conscience tells you.
 
Just a point I think is funny: a centipede is a third cousin twice removed from shrimp and lobster. I found that out when researching in online. They eat bugs in China. Would that be OK on Fridays?
Yes. They are not warm blooded.
 
I fixed breakfast this morning forgetting it was Friday and prepared meat with my eggs for my granddaughter and I.
It didn’t even hit me until the afternoon that I had broken my fast!
 
Last edited:
The liturgical day ends at sundown. Most Catholics mistakenly
That’s only the case on Sundays and Solemnities, isn’t it?

And if that’s the case, did you begin abstaining at sundown on Thursday?
 
Last edited:
If you don’t like “when in doubt, sit it out,” would you at least agree that it’s true that it’s better to not receive when possibly in a state of grace (no sin at all) than to receive while in a state of sin (the sin of sacrilege)?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top