I ate meat on Friday did I commit a mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trap_344
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly my dad doesn’t know I plan on joining the Catholic Church , im kinda scared to tell him , also is there any reason the Catholic Church would turn away a new comer
 
Your do understand that you are under no obligation to abstain from meat, right?

That means you did not commit any sin, let alone a mortal one.

Also, the discipline of abstaining is not absolute and a Catholic can be dispensed from it a number of reasons.

As a minor, obey your parents. You can become a Catholic when you are 18 or older.
 
For every question there is an answer. The Bible is the absolute. Romans 14:17 says:
“For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.”

There is nowhere in the Bible that says to not eat meat on Friday, but read the rest of Romans 14 to know how to handle “not offending” someone that don’t.
 
The Catholic Church welcomes all. When you’re old enough to make the decision to convert, we’ll be happy to have you. In fact, we’re happy you’re here now. I’ll be praying for you, brother!
 
I know and im trying to become bettering and have a Christian mind set
 
I don’t think you committed mortal sin. I mean, there are other important things to fast of, for instance: avoid making bad remarks, having bad thoughts or doing bad things, maybe that kind of fast is more important. Don’t be too scrupulous about this, but if you promised not to eat meat and ended up eating meat willingly you can go to confession, God will forgive you and give you a new chance to fast during this next month and everytime you want to. God bless you
 
As you described it, this is almost certainly not a grave sin.

3 things are required for you to commit a mortal sin: It must be a sin
  • of grave matter
  • committed with your full knowledge
  • committed with your deliberate consent
Church law (canons 1250 & 1251) requires penitential acts on Fridays (year-round), with abstinence from meat being the norm. It also requires abstinence and fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. More locally, the USCCB (US Conference of Catholic Bishops) promulgate abstinence from meat and fasting on Fridays during Lent (and Ash Wednesday).

We should always strive for obedience to the Church’s established norms. But for any act to be a grave sin, you must also be acting freely and without compulsion.

Given the situation, I’d say you made the decision to avoid your father’s anger and NOT to deliberately thumb your nose at the teachings of Christ’s church (clearly, it was on your conscience). I have on occasion forgotten to abstain on a Friday (most people have at some point). When that happens, we can make an alternative or substitute penitential offering that day, such as an hour in adoration (praying for your father, for example), or skipping dinner or similar. God knows our heart. He also knows we live within human relationships that are not always simple or straightforward.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top