ID to buy groceries?

  • Thread starter Thread starter F_Marturana
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of which don’t require IDs.
Trump says he doesn’t drink so there’s a good chance he doesn’t actually drink, he would need an ID still less.
That is not the point. The point is grocery stores sell more than just food products.
 
In the video he says that id’s are necessary to buy groceries.

That’s not true.
 
I know what the topic of the thread is.

I was making another point for TrumpAccessHollywood concerning his definition of a grocery store.
 
Oh yes, long ago I worked in retail and everyone wrote checks for the most part and an ID like a driver’s license was always necessary. Then we hand checked the check number for bad checks in a small booklet. Seems like eons ago now in the dinosaur age. LOL.
 
More than $25 on supermarket credit card purchase … I.D. check.
 
Last edited:
I usually spend more than 150 at the supermarket, sometimes in person, sometimes using their online pickup service. I haven’t been asked for additional ID in years. If I use a credit card instead of the ATM feature, whatever I scrawl on the screen is taken as okay. Since I don’t write on those things very well, I could just make a doodle and it would be accepted.
 
Last edited:
If I use a credit card instead of the ATM feature, whatever I scrawl on the screen is taken as okay
For debit cards the PIN provides some level of protection. While other parts of the world use PINs on credit cards one of the ways that credit card security was supposed to work is the merchant would make sure that the signature on the card matches what the person wrote. But I dont think now days they even see if you wrote the same name let alone matching signatures. Now days it does serve a purpose for evaluating disputes though. Some retailers still ask for signatures to protect themselves from disputes.

As of about April of this year the credit card companies loosened the rules even more. Also the younger generation doesnt really write in script much, so the signatures are a bit less unique. For some categories of spending signatures are still required (ex:gambling).

Credit cards are looking into other authentication methods for transactions.
 
But you don’t need ID to shop. You just needed it to use the check.

You don’t need any ID if you have cash.

I just think he never went grocery shopping.
 
Lately I haven’t signed for anything. They tell me the chip inside the card prevents any possible fraud. Maybe they should look into chips if they’re serious about voting.
 
I had to show ID to buy dry ice at the grocery store this weekend. Do you suppose it’s a safety thing or is there something illegal people use dry ice for?
 
But I dont think now days they even see if you wrote the same name let alone matching signatures.
Where I work, credit cards get a signature for $25+. I don’t see the signature. If someone tries handing me their card I pull my hand back and point at the pad. I do however see the name of the person whose card it is. But if a woman used a card with the name “Jonathan Smith” or “Manly McManson” I would just assume they were using their husbAndy’s card. (And we’ve never received training on what to do in such a situation.)
 
I wonder if there’s a secret grocery-store equivalent to ICE? Can you report a grocery store that doesn’t ask for ID when you buy a few snacks? Are there raids?
 
easy. When you use your card and punch in your numbers it takes it or kicks it out… If it kicks it out you can use your check and your ID…
 
I think this is really a good example of #fakenews. By focusing on the phony story that “Trump is too stupid to know that you don’t need an ID to buy groceries”, they can ignore the point he was making. His point was that voting is more important to our democratic form of government than buying beer or cigarettes, or opening a bank or credit account, or getting on an airplane, but yet we require much more legal scrutiny to do any of those things than we do to allow someone to vote and it’s a problem.
 
Do if you already have a drivers license, you need more I D to renew?

I just need the license where I am.
 
There’s video tape.

He thinks a photo I D is necessary to buy groceries. (No mention of cash a check, or confirm credit card)

If that were true, then everyone would already have ID’s and it would be a hardship to get an ID to vote.

If you don’t drive you normally don’t have a license. If you can’t drive for economic reasons, you don’t have a license. You need to go and get another form of ID. It’s a hardship to do so for some.

And. He’s probably never gone to the grocery store.

Not fake news.

More like irrelevant point.
 
yes, you need more than the drivers license you already have. you need “6 points” total and of those 6 points you need at least one primary and one secondary form of ID. I would get rejectged if i tried to use my license and passport only, because both are primary forms of ID. you also need to provide proof of your current address, this can be a bank statement (which counts as one point of ID also) or a utility bill. If you google NJ MVC 6 points of ID you can get all the details if you like.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top