Idolatry and hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messy. A synod is not like a council where they work out Church doctrine. It’s more like a brainstorming session where they discuss and consider whatever is on the participants’ mind. It’s not binding on anyone. I wouldn’t expect it to result in any change in Church teaching. It may be useful for understanding the challenges facing Catholics and others in the Amazon region.
 
. . . . The poor have been failed by the Church in South America and that has been part of what has driven the entire vocation of Jorge Bergoglio. He has brought into the Church from the seat of Peter a more intense focus on the love of Jesus for the poor. That is how he has rocked my world by his special charism. Pope St JPII molded me by his charism and I have found a seamless transition to the mission of Pope Francis regarding they ways that greed has profoundly entered into my life in ways we can be completely unaware of.

This has not gone well for elitists right from day one of his pontificate when there was all the howling that Pope Francis is a socialist.

In 2014 Pew conducted research that has been very helpful for understanding the crisis

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in South America. I heard many sermons that were great. And I respected alot of priests there.

The people dont follow Teaching. They leave over Teaching.

Alot of poverty has to do with corrupt politicians.
 
Last edited:
Sadly we have become aware of Cardinals inspired by the anti Pope Francis agenda.
I see. Since they defend the traditional teachings of the Church, they’re inspired by the anti Pope Francis agenda. So what would you say is the inspiration of some of the Pope’s close confidants, who are pushing for women priests, blessing same-sex unions in a Catholic Church, and changing core Church teaching on sexuality, such as what is happening right now in the German Church?

http://m.ncregister.com/62471/b
 
Last edited:
The “elites”? Easy to throw a label on some ‘nameless’ group of people.

Names, please. Who are these ‘elites?’
 
There are some strange comments by these men. Such as this:

The Spirit of God can help “to determine the appropriate ratio of Tradition and Innovation today,”

Alot of the commentary in the article is very vague talk.

I certainly dont think married priests would be wrong. It’s just a matter of prudence, and if it would help the priestly ministry.

But things like blessing “gay couples” is very wrong. Bless any individual who is rejecting a sinful behavior! But a couple embracing homosexual relations should be led out of the error, not blessed for it.
 
Last edited:
In short, everything. It defines human nature since the fall from grace.

Corporations are made up of individuals - all of whom suffer from concupiscence. Idolaters seek their own greater good for selfish reasons - also a product of concupiscence.

The rest naturally follows.
 
Last edited:
Oh, I had to look it up, because I had the impression it was lust.

So it’s an inclination to sin due to our fallen nature?
 
Precisely. It is not preached nearly often enough, but defines our basic nature. The life of the Christian is a battle against concupiscence.
 
All the same old names that have been agitating against Pope Francis from the beginning
Not quite @Emeraldlady. Father Mitch Pacwa gives a very stern warning to those who believe having any form of worship or honor or anything to do with mother earth or the “p” idols is okay.

Actually, with the history of mother earth and earthquake story he tells, I think his is one the strongest and most telling warnings I’ve heard. He also asks for acts of reparation.

Starts at 31:40

 
Last edited:
With due respect, he is speaking about an experience in Peru in 1975 and refers to an earthquake in 1970.
This reality in a spot in Peru at that time about what was of course true, I believe him, proves that of course this deity or idol existed and nobody denies it,at that time and maybe today in that context but says nothing about the statue or carving in dispute. Another time, another place, another people, another language , specific persons .
Moreover, it hurt to watch him mimic dancing which we can relate as an ancestral expression in most tribal communities across the globe.
Who knows what happened to the people in that little spot in Peru through these years and how their spirituality developed? I don t . I do not need to know, in any case, I could not help there,but with prayer.

This which I watched last night complete and have nothing else to say. Nothing else but ask for respect for Peru and their people, and no need to bring any spot up to demean like this.Respectfully , and may he be blessed too.
 
Last edited:
? He did mention the carvings at the synod, the Italian bishop’s prayer, the Austrian men and the warning written at the bottom of the statue of Christ for anyone who would worship mother earth.
He also gave a big loud, “we’re not stupid, stop it” to the officials at the synod
 
Last edited:
Neither are we… whoever his “ you” and “ we” mean.
Turn page, chapter over.For me.
 
Last edited:
So I clarified in my post who he was speaking to. He also asks for acts of reparation.
 
Last edited:
I’m in Canada. When I look around at Mass, what I see is families, who are working hard, taking care of their own, struggling to make ends meet. Yet, when the church asks them to serve in some way, they are volunteering too. When they go home they are good neighbors, good employees, often stretched between kids and aging parents, and trying to manage health problems, financial problems, job demands.

I’ve been annoyed when the priest tells us in a homily that there’s some kind of problem half way around the world, and somehow we are responsible for it. It’s our fault. Really? Many listening are trying to keep their heads above water week after week. What I would like to hear from Father is that Jesus Christ died for my sins, that he cares about the struggles I’m going through, that we are impacting the world for good by our effort to sanctify our day with Christ. This is something that I can grab on to today. Jesus is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. Mary the Theotokos prays for us, and cries with us, helps us. That is where hope is today.

I am not taking on some kind of guilt for actions on the other side of the world that I have no control over. That’s on them. Remember, Catholics and Christians have been some of the most generous in giving time, talent and finances over centuries. Give us a break.
 
Not at all my Calvinist brother. Total depravity is a typical dour, depressed 16th century European idea, conceived of in the mind of Jean Cauvin. Please read the following:
CONCUPISCENCE. Insubordination of man’s desires to the dictates of reason, and the propensity of human nature to sin as a result of original sin. More commonly, it refers to the spontaneous movement of the sensitive appetites toward whatever the imagination portrays as pleasant and away from whatever it portrays as painful. However, concupiscence also includes the unruly desires of the will, such as pride, ambition, and envy. (Etym. Latin con- , thoroughly + cupere , to desire: concupiscentia , desire, greed, cupidity.)
CONCUPISCENCE OF THE EYES. Unwholesome curiosity and an inordinate love of this world’s goods. The first consists in an unreasonable desire to see, hear, and know what is harmful to one’s virtue, inconsistent with one’s state of life, or detrimental to higher duties. As an inordinate love of money, it is the desire to acquire material possessions irrespective of the means employed, or merely to satisfy one’s ambitions, or to nurture one’s pride.
CONCUPISCENCE OF THE FLESH. The inordinate love of sensual pleasure, to which fallen man is naturally prone. It is inordinate when pleasure is sought as an end in itself and apart from its divinely intended purpose: to facilitate the practice of virtue and satisfy one’s legitimate desires.
You will note the use of inordinate. That does not infer that the state is insuperable.
inordinate |inˈôrd(ə)nət|
adjective
unusually or disproportionately large; excessive: a case that had taken up an inordinate amount of time.
• archaic (of a person) unrestrained in feelings or behavior; disorderly.
Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to Calvinist-trained Dr. David Anders. Under the heat of his reason, the TULIP withers like the flowers of the field.
 
Oh for heaven’s sake my friend - its FRIDAY! I was making a theological joke! Even a dour depressed Calvinist like me can lighten up a little on Friday! Happy Friday @po18guy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top