Idolatry and hypocrisy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well maybe if Rome wants our hearts (open to the synod), they will defend against false, pagan practices.
And what if the Holy Spirit has a plan for us to examine our conscience for why we can be so zealous about seeming Amazon idolatry, but indifferent or even supportive of the great modern idolatry of greed that is destroying our planet?

When hypocrisy is exposed in such blatant manner it can lead to real conversion of heart.
 
40.png
Ammi:
Well maybe if Rome wants our hearts (open to the synod), they will defend against false, pagan practices.
And what if the Holy Spirit has a plan for us to examine our conscience for why we can be so zealous about seeming Amazon idolatry, but indifferent or even supportive of the great modern idolatry of greed that is destroying our planet?

When hypocrisy is exposed in such blatant manner it can lead to real conversion of heart.
I said false, pagan practice.

We dont need to accept false, pagan practice in order to address greed. The Holy Spirit does not compel this.
 
Last edited:
@Emeraldlady, you have some good points. All the hand-wringing over statues would be easier to bear if they had something positive to say about another aspect of the Amazon Synod. Like “I think they went too far with the statues, but I really agree about …”

By the way, we are name-twins. Beryllos (βήρυλλος) is the Greek name for the stone also known as Emerald. Howdy, sister!
What do you know! Emeralds are my favourite stone. ❤️
 
Why do we hear only detraction? Is that how the internet works now?
 
Nothing to do with internet. This is a matter of giving honor, glory, and worship to God. Not to pagan imagery.

You do realize the hierarchy is divided over this? I’ve seen a Cardinal highly criticize what has happened. And many bishops criticizing the documents of the synod.

The bishops need to be United.
 
40.png
Emeraldlady:
40.png
Ammi:
Well maybe if Rome wants our hearts (open to the synod), they will defend against false, pagan practices.
And what if the Holy Spirit has a plan for us to examine our conscience for why we can be so zealous about seeming Amazon idolatry, but indifferent or even supportive of the great modern idolatry of greed that is destroying our planet?

When hypocrisy is exposed in such blatant manner it can lead to real conversion of heart.
I said false, pagan practice.

We dont need to accept false, pagan practice in order to address greed. The Holy Spirit does not compel this.
“Has not our modern world created its own idols? Has it not imitated, perhaps inadvertently, the pagans of antiquity, by diverting man from his true end, from the joy of living eternally with God?” - Pope Benedict XVI 13/9/08

We are not accepting pagan practices. That is not what happened. Through listening to others we are able to distinguish the things that are good and the things that are evil. The dividing line between good and evil is down the human heart. And we need to recognise that by recognising our hypocrisy.
 
Apparently a cardinal thought very differently than you, regarding these pachamamas even inside a Church.
 
I said false, pagan practice.
I think it wasn’t a false, pagan practice, but a cultural symbol not incompatible with Christianity, like Christmas trees.

Will the Pachamama vigilantes now steal the evergreen trees from our churches?
 
We dont bow down to Christmas trees, or give them thanks. And they dont have a history of representing a goddess.

The use of using evergreens by Christian’s was to honor the birth of Jesus. What is the use of pachamama honoring? Who is a pregnant woman symbolizing for these Christians?

Apples and oranges.
 
Last edited:
Cardinal Gerhard Müller
Cardinal Walter Brandmüller
Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino

“The great mistake was to bring the idols into the Church, not to put them out, because according to the Law of God Himself – the First Commandment – idolism [idolatry] is a grave sin and not to mix them with the Christian liturgy.”

“To put it [the statues] out , to throw it out, can be against human law, but to bring the idols into the Church was a grave sin, a crime against the Divine Law.”

Cardinal Müller

Also three Bishops!

It has nothing to do with Pope Francis
 
Last edited:
Anyone who knows Christ and is illuminated by the gospel can’t possibly be threatened by the old forms of idolatry.
But that is exactly why pagans need converting, away from their devil-worshipping old ways and towards the light of Jesus Christ
 
I don’t know your situation, but I would guess that most people don’t look for the good. A lot of people just read what’s pushed in front of them by the media and blogs.

I’ll admit that I haven’t read a lot about the Amazon Synod. I’m waiting for the English translation. You can bet I’m not going to judge rashly or spread gossip.
 
The point, is no amount of good justifies wrong.

First take out the contaminant, and then we can drink the cup.
 
Last edited:
I don’t know your situation, but I would guess that most people don’t look for the good. A lot of people just read what’s pushed in front of them by the media and blogs.

I’ll admit that I haven’t read a lot about the Amazon Synod. I’m waiting for the English translation. You can bet I’m not going to judge rashly or spread gossip.
I can agree with this.
 
The point, is no amount of good justifies wrong.

First take out the contaminant, and then we can drink the cup.
I am having a little trouble parsing that. It sounds like you are saying that something must be perfect. Synods in particular are not perfect. They tend to be a little messy, with good reason.
 
Last edited:
Sadly we have become aware of Cardinals inspired by the anti Pope Francis agenda.
So, would you say that the Apostle Paul was anti Pope Peter when he disagreed and confronted him?

Did you know that the popes have advisers? Recently watching the biography of Saint Pope John Paul II, many times he wanted to do or not do something but his advisors would disagree with him. Sometimes he took their advise and sometimes he didn’t. Were they being anti pope agendas for not agreeing with him?
Which Cardinal are you referring to?
Someone gave a list of bishops on one of the other threads of all the bishops who have spoken out publicly against the synod but we need to remember that right and wrong is not decided by a majority vote.

Also, I say publicly because from what I just heard recently is there were many more instances of prayers and Masses for the synod (because of the agenda) and the pope going on in Churches, especially in Rome, but other places also, that people are just starting to hear about.

A good way to support the pope is pray for him.
Anyone who knows Christ and is illuminated by the gospel can’t possibly be threatened by the old forms of idolatry. But they can certainly be threatened by the new forms.
So, idolatry is putting anything before the Almighty God, whether it be yourself, your belongings, your job, another person or even a little statue that you bow down to. There is no old or new way of idolatry. Idolatry is idolatry. It is all about worshipping something other than God.
 
Last edited:
Messy? That might be a vague term to describe a synod.

Though I agree that the final document should be read carefully. And in light of Church Teaching.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top