If a President was this religion would you still vote for him?

• Thread starter Thread starter cestusdei
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
CARose:
Hence the need to look at a person’s actual stand on issues.
Absolutely! One shouldn’t vote for or reject a candidate solely on the basis of his or her religious faith. (Or lack of one, either. Look at Nat Hentoff - a real pro-lifer, yet an atheist.)

40.png
gilliam:
There is no such thing as an dissenting/liberal/progressive Catholic. Either you are Catholic and subscribe to the Creed or you are not.
One ran in the last election and lost. I would not vote for such a person. They claim to be Catholic, yet reject the truth. Not a good character trait or intellectually honest.

40.png
gilliam:
There is no such thing as an dissenting/liberal/progressive Catholic. Either you are Catholic and subscribe to the Creed or you are not.
You are mixing apples and oranges.

We must all be orthodox Catholics (matters of faith). We can be conservative or liberal (matters of politics, as we choose). I am both religiously orthodox and politically liberal. Some here are religiously orthodox and politically conservative. The first part is the critical one.

40.png
Richardols:
You are mixing apples and oranges.

We must all be orthodox Catholics (matters of faith). We can be conservative or liberal (matters of politics, as we choose). I am both religiously orthodox and politically liberal. Some here are religiously orthodox and politically conservative. The first part is the critical one.
But that was the way the poll was put to us. *Dissenting/liberal/progressive Catholic, *all 3 adjectives are modifying Catholic and there is such a thing as liberalism, dissent and progressivism in a Church context. I believed the pollster was trying to get at the “personally opposed” Kerry-type Catholic.

I formerly believed that Mormons as a failth we’re OK. I’ve met many through my work at Habitat for Humanity and as a group they are very community and family oriented. It wasn’t until I looked a little more deeply into thier core beliefs after a close lifelong friend converted that I was rather shocked.

Before endorsing pols such as Mitt Romney, please take the time to look into these beliefs or if you have the time, read the Book of Mormon. Although as I mentioned they are a wonderful caring group of people, they are in no way shape or form “Chrisitian” (as most people I think would believe they are). They are not even monotheistic. There is also an underlying agenda in the world of politics.

It’s very improbable that I could vote for someone of that faith based on what I’ve learned

I think it would be nearly impossible to vote for someone based soley on what religion they are.

John Kerry taught us that just because you are Catholic, you do not necessarily represent the Catholic Church, nor will youl live your life and make your choices according to the teachings of the church.

I wouldn’t exclude someone because they were a different religion either. I would have to judge them based on where they stand on the issues.

Because someone ‘claims’ to be a religion doesn’t mean they follow it.

There is also an underlying agenda in the world of politics.

The Catholic Church has no underlying agenda in world politics either? Please.

40.png
YesORno:

The agenda is the agenda of Christ.

40.png
YesORno:

Yes, no doubt the Catholic Church has it’s agenda as well, I agree. My core beliefs just happen to be more in line with the Church’s beliefs than the Mormon faith.

At times it comes down to an exercise in intellectualism for me as well. There is a solid foundation in history for the Church and much has been written and documented as a historical basis for the Christianity that we subscribe to.

In the case of the Mormon faith, and most importantly the book of Mormon, the basis is a work of fiction.

And I truly wonder how many devote Catholics, such as are on this forum, could in a clear conscience vote for someone who subscribes to a faith that believes in such things as Adam impregnating Mary with Jesus ot that if you live you’re life well here on earth, the reward is becoming a god of your own planet, aka polytheism (look it up).

Even though I don’t believe there is such a thing as a dissenting/liberal/progressive Catholic. I said I would not vote for a liberal protestant or dissenting/liberal/progressive Catholic. This is not because of their religion but because of their liberalism and/or dissenting views on the Church.

you can call the agenda whatever you want, it has an agenda.

as for the issue with one’s own planet and celestial beings or whatever, I don’t see what the fuss is about. no one is 100% sure of an afterlife. so to have an objection over someone’s idea of what happens after death is fine but keep in mind no one really knows.

40.png
YesORno:

you can call the agenda whatever you want, it has an agenda.
Having an agenda is not a bad thing. It depends on whose agenda we are speaking of.

I would vote for any candidate regardless of religious faith or lack thereof if I felt he would do a good job. (My son-in-law is an agnostic and a finer man you would not care to meet). Also I have been a Mormon for over 30 years and I do not believe nor have I ever believed or been taught that Adam impregnated Mary with Jesus. While some Mormons may believe they may become gods to their own planet I do not and know many other Mormons who do not. Although that belief may be held by other Mormons is has never been officially accepted by the Church and therefore is not binding. Please do not paint all Mormons with the same brush. There is quite a diversity of belief within the LDS Church. Hopefully I have offended no one for I have always felt a great respect for the Catholic Church and even now feel a spiritual need to learn more about the Catholic Church. The LDS Church may not be Christian in the traditional sense as you say, however, those LDS I have known over these many years certainly strive to live Christ-like lives.

I would not vote for an atheist, or a muslim. in an earlier post someone said muslims worship our God, that is incorrect. they worship the moon god of the ancient religion of animism, allah.

Why couldn’t an atheist be a good or moral person? My son-in-law is an agnostic and opposes both abortion and capital punishment. I would vote for him in a minute.

I may be wrong, but it was my understanding that Allah was the Arabic word for God. If that is true then Arab Christians also worship Allah, but I’m sure with a different understanding.

Part of being a good or moral person is believing in God. Thus, atheists cannot be good or moral persons. Disbelieving in God is one of the worst sins/crimes one can commit.

Part of being a good or moral person is believing in God.​

That’s not true. Most people think believing in God gives them license to behave like jerks. For example, the idiot who protests AIDS victims funerals.
Or the people who protest Mormon worship services.
Or the Catholics who disrupted a service in South Dakota because some Tibetan monks who were doing chants etc in a formerly Catholic building.
Who was Joan of Arc found guilty by? CLERGY.
Being religious does not automatically make one a “good” or moral jperson.

I don’t think you understood my post.

Believing in God is a good and moral thing and thus part of being a good and moral person. It is a necessary but not sufficient condition. One can believe in God and not be a good and moral person because of other moral failings. One cannot disbelieve in God and be a good and moral person because disbelieving God is in itself a serious moral failing.

Disbelieving in God is a mortal sin, a sin/crime comparable to murder or adultery. There may be people who disbelieve in God who are “otherwise good people” only inasmuch as there may be people who commit murder or adultery who are “otherwise good people.”

So if you think murderers or adulterers can be good or moral people then you may think that atheists can be good or moral people. But neither murderers nor adulterers nor atheists are good or moral people and neither will they inherit the kingdom of God.

I know good and moral agnostics and atheists. I agree with Lily of the Valley that believing in God doesn’t mean one will be good or moral. I don’t see how one can equate atheism with murder. Murder is actually killing another human being while a good and moral atheist may actually do much good here on Earth.

Whether you believe that atheist will inherit the kingdom of God is another question altogether. However, to compare an atheist who to a murderer is way out of line.

No one is saying that if one believes in God that one will be on the whole good and moral. I thought I made that clear: twice, now.

What I’m saying is that believing in God is part of being good and moral; it’s an integral part of it just as respecting life, being faithful to one’s spouse, and a bunch of other things is an integral part of being good and moral. Just because one is faithful to one’s spouse doesn’t mean that one is on the whole good and moral since one can be faithful to one’s spouse and also be a murderer. Likewise just because one believes in God doesn’t mean that one is on the whole good and moral since one can believe in God and do any number of immoral things. But both being faithful to one’s spouse and believing in God are part of being a good and moral person. That is, they are a necessary but not sufficient condition of being a good and moral person.

So while it can’t be said that if one is faithful to one’s spouse or if one believes in God that one is on the whole good and moral, it can be said that if one is an adulterer or if one is an atheist that one is not on the whole good and moral. Same thing with being a murderer. You can’t be someone who persists in mortal sin and be on the whole good and moral.

Being an atheist is worse than being a murderer. Comparing the two sins as if they were equal in gravity would be out of line since unbelief is a worse sin than murder. But that’s not what I was doing.

P.S. Murderers, just like atheists can do “good” things on earth. But that doesn’t make either of them good and moral people. Doing good things even many good things doesn’t make up for a fundamental moral failing of being a murderer or an atheist or an adulterer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back