If God is unchangeable, then how could there be a beginning in time?

• Thread starter Thread starter WannabeSaint
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Space, Matter, and Time being created out of nothing. “ In the beginning there was nothing and darkness was on the face of the deep… and God said Let there be light!”

The greatest miracle in the Bible has already occurred and we have scientific evidence for it…

I just mentioned it. The creation of the universe out of nothing. Physicists today are admitting the scientific truth that Space, Matter, and Time had a beginning out of nothing.

So, whatever created Space, Matter, and Time can’t be made of Space, Matter, and Time.

What is
-Spaceless, -Timeless, -Immaterial, -Powerful, -Personal, -Intelligent

GOD

If you are “timeless” do you have a beginning?
NO

Trying to apply the concept of time to a being that created time is classic human hubris.

If he can create the whole show out of nothing then everything else in the Bible is at least within the realm possibility.

God didn’t change when He created time, us, and everything else…

Just cuz there was a time when time itself did not exist, He STILL existed. Kinda neat imo, but since we’re the creation with the FINITE mind, understanding that He existed yes, even BEFORE He was born, might be a bit difficult for some to comprehend.

I love that, even though God always existed, He DOES have a Birthday. Yet that Birthday is NOT the beginning of His existence since He’s always existed, it is “just” the beginning of His Life as a Man…our God Who DOES know what it is like to live as a Man and SUFFER as a Man.

So although all of creation including time and us is indeed wonderfully miraculous, we are not the source of our own existences in time…HE is. (Genesis 1; Exodus 3:14; John 1)

And, He relied on and trusted one of us to help get Him here to become one of us; then after letting us know what He expects of us and giving us an idea of what is to come, He made sure His flock would be fed. (Luke 1; Matthew 16; John 6)

Last edited:
…and what He feeds us with is finer than the finest wine He created at His first public miracle during the wedding in Cana, and the manna that fell from Heaven…

Because it is Himself!

…that we currently experience, is unknown.
Unknown? 2.2 billion Christians would disagree with you. Through Jesus Christ we know, and experience the love, power, and glory of the creator of the Cosmos. A being beyond space and time that created space and time.

Seek the creator Freddy and you will find him.

But along the lines of Pascal’s wager, I’ve often said to non-believing friends, “I hope you’re right about there being no God, but I greatly fear you may be mistaken.” Call me a coward but I’m prepared for the possibility that He does exist.
Ah but Pascal’s wager doesn’t only work with the Catholic God. What about the Islamic God, who according to some will only allow Muslims into Paradise? What about the Baptist God who doesn’t look kindly on intercession of saints?

Unknown? 2.2 billion Christians would disagree with you.
Imagine a conversation taking place sometime before Jesus died.

‘How the world came to be is unknown’.
‘Unknown? 15 Christians would disagree with you’.

Doesn’t have the same ring about it, does it…

Last edited:
Study history, and also…just look around…

Imo it’s amazing that man can create, but that he sometimes doesn’t understand that that is how He Who created us, created us.

In His image. Imagine God’s imagine-nation, the nation we ALL originated from.

Imo it’s amazing that man can create, but that he sometimes doesn’t understand that that is how He Who created us, created us.

I look around at the world that God supposedly created…and I’m not impressed. Nature, it seems to me, could do just as well. Now that would indeed be impressive.

Last edited:
But nature did do it.

There just couldn’t be “nature” without God. 😛

There just couldn’t be “nature” without God.
But the difference is, that if an omnipotent, omniscient being who can create whatever their will desires is responsible, then I’m not very impressed. Such things as us don’t really seem all that remarkable for a God. But if nature itself, with no omniscience, and no omnipotence, just simple unadulterated cause and effect gave rise to something so magnificent that it can ponder its own existence, well then that’s impressive. That’s truly something from nothing.

Last edited:
48.png
Wesrock:
There just couldn’t be “nature” without God.
But the difference is, that if an omnipotent, omniscient being who can create whatever their will desires is responsible, then I’m not very impressed. Such things as us don’t really seem all that remarkable for a God.
Why?

And I don’t meant that in a “look at how complex and perfect everything is” type of way. I guess I’m being a bit rhetorical with my “why”, but I think we just have a vastly different view of nature. I really don’t think God should be approached as if we’re evaluating how good he is as a clockmaker. That just gets things wrong.

But I’m just waxing over here.

48.png
JimG:
The concept of simultaneity may imply the passage of time, but for God, who is a purely spiritual being, no time passes in his knowledge of the external world.
I totally agree; my point is that we should not try to describe God’s life using the concept of simultaneity or “now” as you did, because these ideas are not idoneous to describe God’s life, which is absolutely beyond our capacity of understanding. Out-of-time does not mean “now”. We must just accept that God’s life is beyond the limits of our human reason.
What is meant is the “aeternal now”, which is not the “now” that human beings can understand.

48.png
sainteriksrose:

I look around at the world that God supposedly created…and I’m not impressed. Nature, it seems to me, could do just as well. Now that would indeed be impressive.
How can you not be impressed with existence and with the whole of creation (including yourself), none of which you or anyone else can claim responsibility for?

All of it is completely unexplainable as to it’s essential origins, and none of it is willed into existence by human beings. If that doesn’t “make an impression” on you, what would?

Last edited:
48.png
Mmarco:
48.png
JimG:
The concept of simultaneity may imply the passage of time, but for God, who is a purely spiritual being, no time passes in his knowledge of the external world.
I totally agree; my point is that we should not try to describe God’s life using the concept of simultaneity or “now” as you did, because these ideas are not idoneous to describe God’s life, which is absolutely beyond our capacity of understanding. Out-of-time does not mean “now”. We must just accept that God’s life is beyond the limits of our human reason.
What is meant is the “aeternal now”, which is not the “now” that human beings can understand.
I think that it is not a good way to express the idea of out-of-time; it seems to me that it tends to create a wrong idea because the word “now” recalls the concept of simultaneity, which is not appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back