If God is unchangeable, then how could there be a beginning in time?

• Thread starter Thread starter WannabeSaint
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look. Jesus is God and He was on earth and therefore in the universe 2000 years ago. Today is it not true that God is in the Eucharist, and that is why the Host is worshipped as being God ? Catholics place the Host in a Monstrance. So it seems to me that God does exist in time.
Indeed, God, who is outside of his creation, did take on human nature and enter into his creation while at the same time remaining outside of it. That is the mystery of the Incarnation. Please post for us when you’ve got it figured out. 🙂

Creation was a material Change. God is pure spirit, thus He did not change.

Best not to complicate such things as they can be corrosive to your faith.

The beginning in time was for us but God has always and will always exist. He exists outside space and time.

From God’s viewpoint, the beginning and the end and the middle are all simultaneous. To Him, outside of time, they are all “now.” He didn’t change.
I disagree; the concept of simultaneity (as well as the concept of “now”) implies the concept of time. It is then wrong to say that to God the beginning and the end are simultanoeus. The point is that God’s life is beyond our capacity of understanding because we cannot know how an out-of-time life is; we cannot imagine how He lives His eternal life and we must accept this fact without trying to describe His life using wrong ideas such as simultaneity.

It seems to be contradictory. First you say that God does not exist within time, then you say that Jesus, who was God, was existing in time until His Ascension.
Not necessarily contradictory. It’s not one or the other, it’s both. Yes he exists outside of time; yes for a while he stepped into time and was as a man bound by it as we are. But during Jesus’ time on earth, God the Father still existed outside of time. God exists outside of what he created, including time. He is not bound by time as we are. But he chose to enter into his creation (out of love). Here it is Christmas! We celebrate the eternal infinite God clothing himself in humanity in order to lead us to God.

Last edited:
He exists outside space and time.
Ah, this is the theists traditional fallback position whenever a particular argument has been shown to be logically flawed…“you skeptics simply fail to understand that God exists outside of space and time.”

I’m sorry, but this is logical nonsense. There’s no such thing as “outside of space and time”, it’s a contradiction in terms. Nothing can actually exist “before” the beginning of time, or “outside” of space.

Now this inaccurate description of God may simply be due to a shortcoming in our terminology, but I really wish that theists would either stop using the phrase, or find a better way of explaining what it means.

For example:
It’s not one or the other, it’s both. Yes he exists outside of time; yes for a while he stepped into time and was as a man bound by it as we are.
So this atemporal God did something…“for a while”.

Last edited:
The concept of simultaneity may imply the passage of time, but for God, who is a purely spiritual being, no time passes in his knowledge of the external world.

Another way of putting it would be to say that God possesses the totality of his existence as a unity, not as for humans, as a succession of events. Spiritual beings have no extension in space or in time. Those aspects are needed for material beings, not spiritual beings. We need space in which our parts are spread out, and time in which our events are spread out. But God has no parts and no events, possessing his whole being as a totality in eternity (which is not an infinite sequence of time.)

I’m sorry, but this is logical nonsense. There’s no such thing as “ outside of space and time ”, it’s a contradiction in terms. Nothing can actually exist “ before ” the beginning of time, or “ outside ” of space.
Ah, Lelinator. I am a believer and I’ve staked my life on it. I’m very confident that such a God as we’ve been describing actually does exist . Now obviously I could be wrong. But along the lines of Pascal’s wager, I’ve often said to non-believing friends, “I hope you’re right about there being no God, but I greatly fear you may be mistaken.” Call me a coward but I’m prepared for the possibility that He does exist. And if he doesn’t, hey, I’ve had a great purpose-filled life and end up like everyone else. If I’m wrong I lose nothing. If I’m right I gain everything.

My commitment is not as mercenary as this makes it sound. I really do believe he’s there, and I believe God really did step in and revolutionize my life in a way no one else could have. Wishing you well L, thanks for your honesty.

So this atemporal God did something… “for a while” .
It’s kind of even worse than that…this monotheist God sent one of His three personalities to live a human life on earth but this God is one and indivisible? Oh, and simple (not parts) except when on earth…in parts. Often, it looks like an explanation that’s meaningless except for those that already accept that it’s true…

Last edited:
The concept of simultaneity may imply the passage of time, but for God, who is a purely spiritual being, no time passes in his knowledge of the external world.
I totally agree; my point is that we should not try to describe God’s life using the concept of simultaneity or “now” as you did, because these ideas are not idoneous to describe God’s life, which is absolutely beyond our capacity of understanding. Out-of-time does not mean “now”. We must just accept that God’s life is beyond the limits of our human reason.

I’m sorry, but this is logical nonsense. There’s no such thing as “ outside of space and time ”, it’s a contradiction in terms. Nothing can actually exist “ before ” the beginning of time, or “ outside ” of space.
Does the number 2 exist outside of time and space? Why or why not?

Often, it looks like an explanation that’s meaningless except for those that already accept that it’s true…
Although I believe, I understand this frustration. But for me at least, I wasn’t argued into the Kingdom. I was desperate and almost without hope, so in selfish desperation I gave him a try. The intellectual supports came after the big turn-around I believe He provided. Because of what he (subjectively) did for me, I believe, so those intellectual supports, while wonderful, are secondary. The more I walk towards him (often and still while plagued with some doubts), the more clear it becomes. It is frustratingly called faith because of this I suppose. He wants to be followed and loved as he self reveals, maybe.

I’ve always agreed with those that state it’s a leap of faith. The logical discussions have always seemed, to me, to be justifications after the leap. Without the leap of faith, it’s begging the question. Once the presupposition of there being a God is addressed by faith, the logic can flow but without the presupposition, it doesn’t work…it’s often answers looking for the question and it only answers the questions if asked correctly.

I’ve always admitted that I don’t have faith. It’s a leap I tried and failed at for years. So, I can understand someone’s beliefs when I look at it from a position of faith that I lack. Similar to understanding what another, as a minority that I’m not a member of, what it’s like to be that minority…I’ll empathize and sympathize as best I can but also acknowledge that I’ll never fully get it! :hugs:

God the Father still existed outside of time.
Is God the Father in the Eucharist or is it only God the Son? The Eucharist is in time.
this monotheist God sent one of His three personalities to live a human life on earth but this God is one and indivisible?
Yes. God the Father is outside of time, but God the Son was within time?

Last edited:
In these types of discussions I tend to think there are two answers.

If you’re a believer then the inside/outside time will work.
If you’re a non believer, it’s better to go with, “It’s a mystery”.

Otherwise, the non believers just walk away scratching their heads and thinking that it makes no sense at all! A mystery at the least can’t really be argued against. JMHO.

Last edited:
A mystery at the least can’t really be argued against
I guess it is true that almost all religions have mysteries of some sort or another. Can you think of a religion that does not have a mystery?

Last edited:
What I mean by this is there was a time when we didn’t exist. Then there was a time when we did. So at some point, God made a change. (not creating-creating).

How would this be possible is he is not changeable?
You’re making time apply to God.

There was not time when God wasn’t creating. God never moved from not creating to creating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back