If marijuana is legalized

  • Thread starter Thread starter Roxygirl1488
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roxygirl1488

Guest
It is already legal in CA. They (politicians) are talking about making it legal in FL, where I live. I know the Catholic Church has no official teaching on marijuana but in your own personal opinion if marijuana were legalized in your state, or through out the U.S for medical an/or recreational use is it a sin to smoke it? Do you think the Catholic Church will condemn marijuana?
 
It is already legal in CA. They (politicians) are talking about making it legal in FL, where I live. I know the Catholic Church has no official teaching on marijuana but in your own personal opinion if marijuana were legalized in your state, or through out the U.S for medical an/or recreational use is it a sin to smoke it? Do you think the Catholic Church will condemn marijuana?
2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

I think it would be sinful, as it is intentionally intoxicating themselves.
 
2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

I think it would be sinful, as it is intentionally intoxicating themselves.
Right, and I completely understand this. Since you can have a glass of wine or a beer and not get drunk, whereas you can not take a hit of a joint and not get “high.” So for recreational use you would you say it is a sin right? I think I would agree with that unless the Church makes an official statement otherwise. But would you say for medical use that it is not a sin?
 
Right, and I completely understand this. Since you can have a glass of wine or a beer and not get drunk, whereas you can not take a hit of a joint and not get “high.” So for recreational use you would you say it is a sin right? I think I would agree with that unless the Church makes an official statement otherwise.** But would you say for medical use that it is not a sin**?
CCC 2291 already states this.

CCC 2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.
 
So since alcohol is a drug i can only use it for therapeutic purposes?
 
One can certainly use marijuana moderately, and it’s not true at all that one hit of marijuana will get you high. Just like alcohol it depends on the limits of the individual.

Personally I don’t care for marijuana, but I don’t care if people use it in moderation. Where I live it’s essentially decriminalized and the only way to get in trouble for having it, even smoking it in public, is if you’re committing another crime. Police here won’t even confiscate it from people who are not causing problems. 🤷

Peace and God bless!
 
So since alcohol is a drug i can only use it for therapeutic purposes?
You should not become intoxicated from drinking, but you can still drink alcohol in moderation. You can’t smoke marijuana without becoming intoxicated.
 
So since alcohol is a drug i can only use it for therapeutic purposes?
Although alcohol’s effect on our soma is that of a drug, it is a unique one in that our LORD Himself used it, and not solely as medicine. For the Church now to set conditions on it’s use would be to try to improve on HIM. Not a good idea.

That cannot be said for any of the other recreational drugs.

ICXC NIKA
 
You should not become intoxicated from drinking, but you can still drink alcohol in moderation. You can’t smoke marijuana without becoming intoxicated.
The whole point of drinking is to have some level of “intoxication”; in some Jewish rituals that our Lord surely participated in you must become at least lightly intoxicated. It only becomes sinful when you drink to the point of hindering reason and damaging the body. Marijuana only hinders reason and damages the body when used past a certain point, which is different for different individuals. One hit, or even one “joint”, is not enough to get most people I know to the point of hindered reason.

Peace and God bless!
 
Personally, I think the Church is on shaky ground here, as they allow smoking (though what constitutes as smoking in excess is not defined). What I mean is, if smoking tobacco constituted a sin, then it would be much easier to also say marijuana is a sin while alcohol is not, as although alcohol can be used as a drug it is primarily a drink. Whereas both tobacco and marijuana provide no nourishment.

Ghosty, I have never used and never will use marijuana, so I honestly don’t know the effects it has on people. Thank you for clarifying.
 
So its ok for me to get “buzzed” just not blacked out drunk?
 
Personally, I think the Church is on shaky ground here, as they allow smoking (though what constitutes as smoking in excess is not defined). What I mean is, if smoking tobacco constituted a sin, then it would be much easier to also say marijuana is a sin while alcohol is not, as although alcohol can be used as a drug it is primarily a drink. Whereas both tobacco and marijuana provide no nourishment.

Ghosty, I have never used and never will use marijuana, so I honestly don’t know the effects it has on people. Thank you for clarifying.
And I recommend never trying it. 😛

The effects are actually quite similar to alcohol, so you’re not missing much. I grew up in an environment where it simply wasn’t considered bad so I was exposed to it from a young age (not in the sense of using it, but knowing adults who used it). I’ve known people who smoked on their lunch breaks (not something I would ever recommend doing, even if it’s legal), with the managers of the store, and were perfectly coherent and rational for the rest of their shift. 🤷

The first time I tried it all it did was make me feel lazy and hungry, and I remember thinking “what a waste, I can feel lazy and hungry without doing drugs”. 😛

Peace and God bless!
 
I think the Church needs to just say no to dope, and I wish to ciggies as well - second hand smoke kills and all, and also kills 50% of its users.

The problem with dope, is while some peopel can get away with it, no ill effects, if there’s a hint of mental illness in the family, it really is a stupid thing to do. Its a great way to step up serious, long term breaks with reality and schitzophrenia et al.
 
Personally, I think the Church is on shaky ground here, as they allow smoking (though what constitutes as smoking in excess is not defined). What I mean is, if smoking tobacco constituted a sin, then it would be much easier to also say marijuana is a sin while alcohol is not, as although alcohol can be used as a drug it is primarily a drink. Whereas both tobacco and marijuana provide no nourishment.

Ghosty, I have never used and never will use marijuana, so I honestly don’t know the effects it has on people. Thank you for clarifying.
The difference is that the Church is not, a priori, concerned with “healthiness” vis-a-vis the human body; if so it would need to get involved with such issues as diet, BMI, etc. It has never done that.

The issue is rather the effect on, or impairment of, reason and the mind, which are one’s “soulish” functions. Both alcohol and MJ affect those, while tobacco does not.

ICXC NIKA
 
So its ok for me to get “buzzed” just not blacked out drunk?
I would say that if you’re drinking to the point where your decision making process is affected, you’ve gone too far; obviously a black out is WAY past this point. The problem is the impairment of reason and judgement, not the general effects of alcohol like feeling merrier and more relaxed.

Peace and God bless!
 
Define “buzzed.” Would you be impaired? Would you be causing your body unnecessary harm?
By the time you feel “buzzed” in your head, you already have enough alcohol in your blood to legally impair you (in the USA). OK if you just need to lounge around, not if you might need to work or to drive anywhere.

ICXC NIKA
 
The difference is that the Church is not, a priori, concerned with “healthiness” vis-a-vis the human body; if so it would need to get involved with such issues as diet, BMI, etc. It has never done that.

The issue is rather the effect on, or impairment of, reason and the mind, which are one’s “soulish” functions. Both alcohol and MJ affect those, while tobacco does not.

ICXC NIKA
Good point!👍
 
buzzed is usually a term used to associate the effects of being under the influence of alchol while still being sober enough to avoid being legally intoxicated. Most people I know describe it as “feeling good” after two beers.

Should I use the govt’s line on intoxication (.08 BAC) as my sin threshold for intoxication?
 
The difference is that the Church is not, a priori, concerned with “healthiness” vis-a-vis the human body; if so it would need to get involved with such issues as diet, BMI, etc. It has never done that.

The issue is rather the effect on, or impairment of, reason and the mind, which are one’s “soulish” functions. Both alcohol and MJ affect those, while tobacco does not.

ICXC NIKA
I agree with you but isnt the whole point of alchol to be a social lubricant. The idea being that you will strike up conversations when you usually would decide not to. Dosen’t everyone get a little bit more chatty after a couple of drinks? Does this count as a manipulation of our decision-making abilities?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top