If marijuana is legalized

  • Thread starter Thread starter Roxygirl1488
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
buzzed is usually a term used to associate the effects of being under the influence of alchol while still being sober enough to avoid being legally intoxicated. Must people I know describe it as “feeling good” after two beers.

Should I use the govt’s line on intoxication (.08 BAC) as my sin threshold for intoxication?
Here in TX, the Dept. Of Public Safety (which handles motor traffic issues) has a campaign out warning: “Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving.”

It would seem there is a very fine line between feeling the buzz and being impaired.

ICXC NIKA
 
I agree with you but isnt the whole point of alchol to be a social lubricant. The idea being that you will strike up conversations when you usually would decide not to. Dosen’t everyone get a little bit more chatty after a couple of drinks? Does this count as a manipulation of our decision-making abilities?
Well, actually, yes it is. There is a reason for our social inhibitory functions: they can keep our bodies out of physical or sexual danger zones (and occasions of sin); even though we may feel that they get in the way. Consider the physical altecations and sexual “mistakes” that originate in drunkenness.

Physically, alcohol puts the higher levels of our brain to sleep, where the inhibitions reside; allowing the emotional self to have control of the body. This may well feel good at the time but is seldom, if ever, a good idea.

ICXC NIKA
 
BAC doesn’t really factor into the moral calculation of alcohol use. There are people who are impaired in a moral sense at lower BAC, and people who require a much higher BAC to feel much at all. I’ve known alcoholics who must maintain a high BAC in order to function rationally and normal, and not consuming alcohol would cause them to become delirious.

Peace and God bless!
 
Well, actually, yes it is. There is a reason for our social inhibitory functions: they can keep our bodies out of physical or sexual danger zones (and occasions of sin); even though we may feel that they get in the way. Consider the physical altecations and sexual “mistakes” that originate in drunkenness.

Physically, alcohol puts the higher levels of our brain to sleep, where the inhibitions reside; allowing the emotional self to have control of the body. This may well feel good at the time but is seldom, if ever, a good idea.

ICXC NIKA
So why have any of this decision-impairing liquid in our bodies if even 1 drink will have an effect on or decision making capabilities?

Are drugs ok if they make us make good decisions?
ADD medication making a kid study? Medications to make the bi-polar less impulsive?
Anti-Depressents for the suicidal? Arnt these all interfering with an individual’s free will?
 
Social lubricant is different from impairment. If you would choose to have the conversation when sober but would be too shy to act, then alcohol can make enacting your rational choice easier. If you’re saying things you would judge against normally then you’ve had too much.

Peace and God bless!
 
So since alcohol is a drug i can only use it for therapeutic purposes?
To some degree, going out for a drink with friends is using alcohol for a therapeutic purpose. It promotes relaxation and reduction of stress. Therefore, if (once it is legal) I choose to smoke a bowl instead of cracking a beer when I get home as a means to help unwind from a rough day, where does “therapeutic” use and and “recreational” use begin? I honestly doubt that the Church will step in on something that is, in reality, such a non-issue. Was it a sin for Catholics to drink in America during Prohibition? What if they were in Canada on a visit? Once Prohibition was repealed, was it a sin to drink in America? Was it a sin to smoke marijuana before it was made illegal? If not, why would it be a sin to do so if it is again legalized?
 
To some degree, going out for a drink with friends is using alcohol for a therapeutic purpose. It promotes relaxation and reduction of stress. Therefore, if (once it is legal) I choose to smoke a bowl instead of cracking a beer when I get home as a means to help unwind from a rough day, where does “therapeutic” use and and “recreational” use begin? I honestly doubt that the Church will step in on something that is, in reality, such a non-issue. Was it a sin for Catholics to drink in America during Prohibition? What if they were in Canada on a visit? Once Prohibition was repealed, was it a sin to drink in America? Was it a sin to smoke marijuana before it was made illegal? If not, why would it be a sin to do so if it is again legalized?
When you have tens of millions of people routinely clouding up their mind in the interest of “mellowness”, then it will hardly be a nonissue. I imagine, however, that the Church will wait (it’s good at that) to observe events for some years, before it declares a sin.

ICXC NIKA
 
There is nothing from without a man that entering into him, can defile him. But the things which come from a man, those are they that defile a man. Mark 7:15

don’t love things you should only use.

peace
 
I think the balance is between legality and temperance. Since marijuana can be had with a prescription, it is a medicine. And we should always exercise balance is all our dealings.
 
When you have tens of millions of people routinely clouding up their mind in the interest of “mellowness”, then it will hardly be a nonissue. I imagine, however, that the Church will wait (it’s good at that) to observe events for some years, before it declares a sin.

ICXC NIKA
This is already the case with alcohol, and the Church has spoken with regards to that. I think the stance will be the same as the two drugs are, for purposes of level of impairment, pretty much the same.

Peace and God bless!
 
A friend…I had not seen him in over 10 years just died coke heroin …he started with grass…I have now in my life lost 3 friends to drugs all had one thing in common all started with "innocent " weed…I now as I write am convinced it is a entry level window drug…many have yes fooled with it and not moved “up” but many have across the board coke and heroin addicts say it was the first/starter drug…I will not in light of the message I got less than 2 hours ago debate it…to open up legalize that is to invite a nightmare…just like I’m having right now…it’s an idiotic proposal …it should never be legal no Christian should support it
 
A friend…I had not seen him in over 10 years just died coke heroin …he started with grass…I have now in my life lost 3 friends to drugs all had one thing in common all started with "innocent " weed…I now as I write am convinced it is a entry level window drug…many have yes fooled with it and not moved “up” but many have across the board coke and heroin addicts say it was the first/starter drug…I will not in light of the message I got less than 2 hours ago debate it…to open up legalize that is to invite a nightmare…just like I’m having right now…it’s an idiotic proposal …it should never be legal no Christian should support it
I am really sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers. I agree with you on the legalization of marijuana.

God Bless.
 
My personal appearance is that alcohol is far worse than marijuana. I have seen many lives ruined from alcohol.

Marijuana is a great sleep aid.

I would certainly not smoke often but would occasional smoke it if it was legal. Only while I was at home. It can be very relaxing after a stressful day.
 
I have noticed here that most people have a major confusion with alcohol and marijuana. Comparing them is like apples and oranges. Marijuana and alcohol are not similar at all. The fact that marijuana has some of the alcohol depressant properties doesn’t make it similar to alcohol. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant while marijuana is an hallucinogen. Very different things. Most of you are judging intoxication levels of marijuana under “alcohol” standards and you can’t because both drugs have completely different ways of being processed in the body. For one, no you can’t become intoxicated immediately with alcohol but the only reason is that alcohol is a “build up” kind, it needs to accumulate in the blood in order to cause effect. With marijuana you do have immediate effects after one dose within seconds and those effects are: increased heart rate, delayed reaction time, extreme relaxation and diminished short term memory. With alcohol you won’t see impairment until the amount of alcohol level in the blood surpasses a whole series of tolerance levels and the point of real impairment comes way before than what a usual person would think. Marijuana on its side doesn’t cause impairment only extremely high doses cause impairment which usually is very short. What marijuana causes is a state of relaxation that will eventually lead with the constant use to hallucinations and paranoia.
Both are drugs and both cause damage to the body in different ways. The point here is why people are using it. People get addicted to marijuana because it causes relaxation. If you are using it to run away from your problems and as a way to escape from reality, it may not cause too much of bodily harm but it is wrong , and from a catholic perspective you are seeking refugee in a drug instead of seeking God to help you deal with your problems. In that case I would consider it a sin for the simple reason you are replacing God. Now probably it is ok if used in small doses under strict medical control to aliviate a patient who is under major pain. But the problem is that simply there are huge disagreements in the medical community when it comes to cannabis and that is something none of us can resolve. What we have to look as Catholics is when we are replacing God with something mundane and in that category marijuana and alcohol fall together not only with all other drugs but with much more.
 
"; in some Jewish rituals that our Lord surely participated in you must become at least lightly intoxicated. It only becomes sinful when you drink to the point of hindering reason and damaging the body.

Peace and God bless!
That is not correct. The amounts of alcohol in wine today are way higher than the amount of alcohol in wine during biblical times. It should probably take about thirty cups of the wine that Jesus drank to equal one glass of modern wine. The reason is because in those days their wine which was specifically fermented grape juice was used to kill germs in their water, therefore they used to dilute the fermented grape juice juice in big quantities of water. Very far from what it is today.
 
2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

I think it would be sinful, as it is intentionally intoxicating themselves.
Yes. Drunkenness and selfishness are sins. Romans 13:13, Galatians 5:20-21 👍
 
The alleged medicinal value of marijuana is, at best, propaganda. Read here.

Our desire for oblivion, no matter how fleeting, is surely a sign of the times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top