If marijuana is legalized

  • Thread starter Thread starter Roxygirl1488
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.

2291 The use of drugs inflicts very grave damage on human health and life. Their use, except on strictly therapeutic grounds, is a grave offense. Clandestine production of and trafficking in drugs are scandalous practices. They constitute direct co-operation in evil, since they encourage people to practices gravely contrary to the moral law.

I think it would be sinful, as it is intentionally intoxicating themselves.
alcohol is just fine in catholicism! alcohol is MUUCCCCCHHHH worse than marijuana. marijuana can aid in meditation, calming the mind, easing the body…not to mention medicinal treatments. it’s about HOW you use it. the new testament MANY times talks about how god smites the rich and favors the poor, but we all understand it’s about HOW you use your money…take that into the realm of marijuana…which the bible/tradition NEVER tells us not to use. We are callrf to use every green plant on the earth that god gave us for our aid. wise up folks!
 
Ras,

I understand your sentiment and disagree. People are the gateway. Your paradigm is that people cannot choose and cannot resist…People can and do resist. There are people that smoke, people that drink and people that don’t. There are people that use marijuana and people that don’t. The gateway is the person not the substance.
He’s not going to respond to you. That poster has been banned.
 
alcohol is just fine in catholicism! alcohol is MUUCCCCCHHHH worse than marijuana. marijuana can aid in meditation, calming the mind, easing the body…not to mention medicinal treatments. it’s about HOW you use it. the new testament MANY times talks about how god smites the rich and favors the poor, but we all understand it’s about HOW you use your money…take that into the realm of marijuana…which the bible/tradition NEVER tells us not to use. We are callrf to use every green plant on the earth that god gave us for our aid. wise up folks!
There should be absolutely no problem with giving it to people who are in hospice and responsible people (not me) in chronic pain. My Dad died a horrible death from pancreatic cancer. It would have helped him. He couldn’t eat because of the nausea. He was in terrible pain. Who would have cared if he had become addicted? Well, the government “cared.” It was not available. I believe California now has a medical marijuana program along with Oregon and maybe a few other states; ten years too late for my Dad. He didn’t have time to become addicted. I know he suffered needlessly and that breaks my heart.

As Catholics, we are not required to adhere to immoral laws. The alleviation of pain and nausea are really pro-life issues. If we let people suffer needlessly we are not giving them the respect and quality of life they deserve by virtue of being human beings. If I could have gotten marijuana to my Dad I would have. And if I ever learn to become more responsible about my own addiction problems I might be able to use marijuana in the future. I will be in severe chronic pain until I die.

There’s just something wrong with allowing opiate use while not allowing marijuana use in the ill. But the State of Oregon is now putting a ceiling on the amount of opiates anyone can take; regardless of their health. The medical marijuana plan is going to be discarded next; quietly and efficiently (while at the same time I am forced to pay for state-funded elective abortions).

Everything seems to be backwards.
 
I see this thread has been resurrected. Quite awhile ago I posted numerous times in a thread regarding whether Catholics can morally use marijuana for pain control - even if it is illegal to do so. I concluded that it is morally acceptable.

At that time I was applying for the medical marijuana plan in Oregon. I had the application and a physician who would sign it. It would have gone through with no problem.

I changed my mind. Perhaps some people can use marijuana for medical purposes. I’ve been addicted to nubain and I never want to go through withdrawal again (and mine was easy compared to many). I also realized that I like marijuana and I would end up in a buzz all day.

Instead, I continued to take opiates. I had been taking them for years and noticed that I was starting to have problems in thinking but the pain was awful without them (and to be honest, it was pretty much awful even with them).

I’m almost off the methadone (down from 16/day to 1/day). I intend to be off it completely within a month. My pain level has increased dramatically but I’m no longer quite as stupid; I am beginning to be able to process language again and my memory has improved. I’ve done this on my own, with no support from any physician except my present one, who I have been seeing for about six months.

I do support the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes - if it is managed by a team made up of a physician and her patient and takes all factors into account and is regulated by this team through the use of medication contracts such as are used for prescribed opiates. As for recreational purposes - to be honest, it frightens me but that’s me. I know I can’t use it. I know what will happen.

Somewhere I have a link for a huge number of studies on impairment in subjects who used marijuana and I believe many of them compared impairment caused by marijuana with impairment caused by alcohol. I’ll try to find that but it may have disappeared by now. Using the results from one or two research projects does not provide enough information. The link is in an old thread on CAF - in one of my posts.

I apologize for my poor grammar; I’m still very unsure about the words I choose and how they fit together. There is an old TV commercial - the one where the egg is dropped into a hot frying pan and the announcer says “This is your brain on drugs.” It’s true. I fried my brain, legally. Fortunately the damage is reversible and is reversing.
I hope this post makes sense. I’m not doing very well right now. 😦
You make perfect sense. You did not fry your brain. You cannot unfry an egg, once it is fried, it is fried. Your brain recovers and reverts to normal.
 
From what little I can remember from the research I’ve read in the past, alcohol actually causes more impairment of driving skills than marijuana; smoked marijuana, specifically. Part of this is because the people who smoked marijuana were found to be more aware of any impairments and able to change their driving accordingly.

I’m sorry that I don’t have any references yet.
 
alcohol is just fine in catholicism! alcohol is MUUCCCCCHHHH worse than marijuana. marijuana can aid in meditation, calming the mind, easing the body…not to mention medicinal treatments. it’s about HOW you use it. the new testament MANY times talks about how god smites the rich and favors the poor, but we all understand it’s about HOW you use your money…take that into the realm of marijuana…which the bible/tradition NEVER tells us not to use. We are callrf to use every green plant on the earth that god gave us for our aid. wise up folks!
Dat,

The problem is that Federal Law states that Marijuana is illegal. Federal Law trumps state law. The Catechism does not condone the use of illegal drugs. We are to conform to the laws of the land.🙂
 
Dat,

The problem is that Federal Law states that Marijuana is illegal. Federal Law trumps state law. The Catechism does not condone the use of illegal drugs. We are to conform to the laws of the land.🙂
God’s law (universal law) trumps immoral federal laws.
 
God’s law (universal law) trumps immoral federal laws.
Little,

I agree and Federal Prison I am sure has Mass, Bibles and all the things that make life comfortable that allow you to adhere to God’s law.
 
Little,

I agree and Federal Prison I am sure has Mass, Bibles and all the things that make life comfortable that allow you to adhere to God’s law.
I would willingly spend the rest of my life in prison if I had been able to bring my Dad comfort when he was dying. And if prison has Mass and the Bible (as long as it’s the NAB or the Douay-Rheims) I would have all I need.
 
I would willingly spend the rest of my life in prison if I had been able to bring my Dad comfort when he was dying. And if prison has Mass and the Bible (as long as it’s the NAB or the Douay-Rheims) I would have all I need.
Little Soldier,

My dad has passed and we all would do what is necessary to comfort our parents…and while reading the letter to Romans you will find this…
Be Subject to Government
Code:
  1Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
 
We are to render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s. That means that without a serious reason not to, we are to obey “his” civil laws.

Saving human life, or protesting a grievous injustice would be a valid reason; getting high or mellow is not.

And the fact that something is natural does not mean that it belongs in our human bodies. Arsenic and jimson weed are natural; I wouldn’t ingest either.

Further, smoking of any kind is something our breathing system was pretty much NOT intended to do.

ICXC NIKA
 
Little Soldier,

My dad has passed and we all would do what is necessary to comfort our parents…and while reading the letter to Romans you will find this…
While reading the CCC you will find this…

“Authority is exercised legitimately only when it seeks the common good of the group concerned and if it employs morally licit means to attain it. If rulers were to enact unjust laws or take measures contrary to the moral order, such arrangements would not be binding in conscience. In such a case, ‘authority breaks down completely and results in shameful abuse.’” (CCC 1903)
 
We are to render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s. That means that without a serious reason not to, we are to obey “his” civil laws.

Saving human life, or protesting a grievous injustice would be a valid reason; getting high or mellow is not.

And the fact that something is natural does not mean that it belongs in our human bodies. Arsenic and jimson weed are natural; I wouldn’t ingest either.

Further, smoking of any kind is something our breathing system was pretty much NOT intended to do.

ICXC NIKA
Just to clarify, when marijuana is used for medical purposes it’s not really supposed to be smoked. I was told to use the leaves to make tea. I agree that smoking anything is something that our lungs, etc. were not really made to do.
 
Romans 14:2-4 tells Christians not to judge those Christians that use herb as Christians, for the Lord is their judge.
Modern altered versions changed the word herb to vegetable without any basis in any original translation, which makes no sense,
except to reinforce their global persecution of herb users. The verse in the Bible that details God’s instructions to Moses on preparing
the annointing oil that was used by all of the priests,and even Christ Himself,
is Exodus 30:22-23… It says 250 shekels of “sweet calamus”, but is REALLY kaneh bos’m…or cannabis, to us…
God even gave warnings of prohibition in the future in 1 Timothy 4:1-5… There are 12 uses of cannabis in The Bible: 1-clothing, 2-paper, 3-cord,
4-sails, 5-fish net , 6-oil, 7-sealant, 8-incense, 9-food, 10-ceremony, 11-relaxation, 12-medicine…
This is confirmed in Revalation 22:1-3, where the writer talks of the tree of life, which bare 12 manner of fruits, which grows on either side
of the heavenly river… It also says how the leaves of this tree is for the healing of the nations
 
Romans 14:2-4 tells Christians not to judge those Christians that use herb as Christians, for the Lord is their judge.
Modern altered versions changed the word herb to vegetable without any basis in any original translation, which makes no sense,
except to reinforce their global persecution of herb users. The verse in the Bible that details God’s instructions to Moses on preparing
the annointing oil that was used by all of the priests,and even Christ Himself,
is Exodus 30:22-23… It says 250 shekels of “sweet calamus”, but is REALLY kaneh bos’m…or cannabis, to us…
God even gave warnings of prohibition in the future in 1 Timothy 4:1-5… There are 12 uses of cannabis in The Bible: 1-clothing, 2-paper, 3-cord,
4-sails, 5-fish net , 6-oil, 7-sealant, 8-incense, 9-food, 10-ceremony, 11-relaxation, 12-medicine…
This is confirmed in Revalation 22:1-3, where the writer talks of the tree of life, which bare 12 manner of fruits, which grows on either side
of the heavenly river… It also says how the leaves of this tree is for the healing of the nations
Christopher,

We should not judge anyone. Violating Federal law incurs a prison sentence. Marijuana is not legal according to Federal Law. I don’t think a Bible and Concordance would work as a defense of violating that law. It would help in reading and study if a sentence is imposed for violating the law.
 
There are so many herbs in this world. Why do so many people think that when someone mentions herb or herbs that it has anything to do with marijuana? Most herbs are small plants anyway, not big plants.

Oregano, Thyme, Ginseng, …, Chives are edible plants, not big plants with big buds growing off of them.

Actually I don’t know what ginseng looks like.

More on the list, though: cilantro, parsley, …

Is marijuana really an herb at all?
 
It’s not ok. Marijuana, it’s a great creation on behalf of God but mans pursuit of the plant alone brings us to temptation. We are taught by Jesus to avoid such situations and not to place ourselves in danger of committing sin. I loved marijuana, still do, and I’ve tried hard to justify it in Gods eyes but he speaks into my ear as my best friend warning me against it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top