If the Roman Catholic Church Becomes Much More Strict and Rigid in Enforcing Catholic Morality and Combatting Heresy,

• Thread starter Thread starter Seasons
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All Catholics who disagree with Catholic Church teaching are wrong.
Given that you seem to disagree with the Catholic Church teaching on how to handle Catholics who disagree with the Church, then you can include yourself in that category as well.
The Catholic Church teaches those who die in disagreement with the Catholic Church go to hell.
No, it doesn’t teach that.

I would respectfully suggest that if you wish to improve the Church, you start by improving your own catechesis. Otherwise, you lack credibility in these types of discussions.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend you look into this fellow named Jesus. The Catholic Church regards Him pretty highly. I think once you learn a little about Him, you’ll find the message revolves around love and mercy, not rigidity.

The Catholic Church is nothing like those charlatans. A more adherent church would not suffer the same issues.

well to be honest no one here has made any concrete examples on how they would “become much more strict” or rigid in their enforcement.

Could you provide this quote for me from the authoritative Church document(s)?

Only instance of the word “rigid” in the Catechism:

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/para/248.htm

248 At the outset the Eastern tradition expresses the Father’s character as first origin of the Spirit. By confessing the Spirit as he “who proceeds from the Father”, it affirms that he comes from the Father through the Son. The Western tradition expresses first the consubstantial communion between Father and Son, by saying that the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son ( filioque ). It says this, “legitimately and with good reason”, for the eternal order of the divine persons in their consubstantial communion implies that the Father, as “the principle without principle”, is the first origin of the Spirit, but also that as Father of the only Son, he is, with the Son, the single principle from which the Holy Spirit proceeds. This legitimate complementarity, provided it does not become rigid, does not affect the identity of faith in the reality of the same mystery confessed.

40.png
Seasons:
All Catholics who disagree with Catholic Church teaching are wrong.
Given that you seem to disagree with the Catholic Church teaching on how to handle Catholics who disagree with the Church, then you can include yourself in that category as well.
What, precisely, is “the Catholic Church teaching on how to handle Catholics who disagree with the Church”?

I’m not referring to today’s practice versus yesterday’s practice in this regard, I’m referring to teaching.

Barring unrepentant contraceptors from Holy Communion would be a good start. Not sure how you’d enforce that, but stating the principle would be nice.

I would strongly recommend you look into this fellow named Jesus. The Catholic Church regards Him pretty highly. I think once you learn a little about Him, you’ll find the message revolves around love and mercy, not rigidity.
John 14:6, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.”

John 3:18, “He that believeth in him is not judged. But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
[DRV for both verses]

Sounds pretty rigid to me.

Our Lord Jesus Christ is both loving and merciful, and “rigid”, if that’s the word you want to use.

Last edited:
The message revolves around justice and mercy. God’s justice is equal to his mercy and there can be no mercy without justice.

I reckon there are people who are never going to be happy unless they personally get to call “Anathema” on everybody they think needs to get out of “their” church and stay out.

Bottom line is the Church is unlikely to come around to their way of thinking any time soon, and they better pay more attention to making sure they aren’t the ones left on the outside when Jesus admits various repentant sinners into Heaven.

I reckon there are people who are never going to be happy unless they personally get to call “Anathema” on everybody they think needs to get out of “their” church and stay out.

Bottom line is the Church is unlikely to come around to their way of thinking any time soon, and they better pay more attention to making sure they aren’t the ones left on the outside when Jesus admits various repentant sinners into Heaven.
I don’t want to call “anathema” on anybody. I want people in the Church, the more the better, not out of the Church.

As far as dissent from moral teachings, I wouldn’t read those people out of the Church either. Highly temerarious arrogation to oneself of being right and the teaching Church being wrong, yes. Ceasing to be a Catholic, no.

And those who live in manifest grave sin, that shouldn’t separate you from the unity of the Church either. There are people who live in criminal, dissolute, or libidinous lifestyles for years, and while they are very bad Catholics, still, Catholics they remain.

I have an appointment with the ophthalmologist to get this pesky beam out of my eye now, so I’ve got to go.

i think many people think that we are all miserable sinners. i cant believe this. i believe in a loving God who loves us all. a lot of our sins have been created in our minds,and not from God.

“If the Roman Catholic Church Becomes Much More Strict and Rigid in Enforcing Catholic Morality and Combatting Heresy”
You mean this kind of rigidity?..

If you love me you will obey my commandments John 14:15

but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Matthew 18:6

The Son of man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born. Matthew 26:24

The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth. Matthew 13:41-42

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Cor 6:9

Last edited:
The church would bleed followers.

People who might have come around to her thinking gradually are instead left feeling hurt and disowned. People who know they have faults but struggle with them will despair because instead of being told “God still loves you” they’re told “Begone sinner!”. The bitterest and least welcoming laypersons become the leading voices in parishes, so people looking for a new religion pass over Catholicism in favor of protestant churches. The church stops being a church of sinners, and therefore the doors to redemption are closed shut.

The reason rigidity gets such a bad rap is because it is often more about the “incorrupt” self-righteously stroking their own egos by looking down their noses at people who fail to meet their standards. That’s why they’re compared to Pharisees - the Pharisees spoke a great deal about upholding the law but couldn’t care less about saving souls. And ironically despite claiming to represent the “real” church these traditionalists are often the harshest critics of the Popes. The borderline-schismatic SSTX movement was born out of traditionalism, after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik
yes,this is exactly what i mean…the bible is full of love stories,encouraging humankind,etc. but everyone looks for this…

but everyone looks for this…
Well not everyone for sure. Certainly not enough imo. Many have lost sight of the key mission given to the Catholic Church by Christ which is the salvation of souls. The identification and condemnation of sin is necessary in carrying out that mission but I think got lost in the ‘spirit’ of Vatican II.

My point was that judging by today’s standards Jesus would be seen as being too rigid.

Last edited:
40.png
WillC:
I think we could shed some of our dead weight. That would be nice.
Dang tax collectors and prostitutes.
Your analogy only works if there’s someone to try to correct the tax collectors and prostitutes. Unfortunately, in many Catholic churches, the tax collectors and prostitutes are being given the idea that what they’re doing is perfectly fine and good. Priests are afraid to tell them to “sin no more.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back