Illinois Pharmacists FORCED to fill pill prescriptions

  • Thread starter Thread starter demolitionman65
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON - The female hormone estrogen can bend the gender of male fish that live in bodies of water contaminated with the residue of birth-control pills, a new study indicates.

For three years, Canadian scientists have put birth-control pills into a remote Ontario lake to measure this impact. The results: All male fish in the lake - from tiny tadpoles to large trout - were “feminized,” meaning they had egg proteins growing abnormally in their bodies.

The experiment was intended to match the impact that the female hormone estrogen may be having on many American bodies of water, as city sewage systems empty waste into them that is contaminated with residue from birth-control pills.

One-third of male Pearl Dace minnows grew eggs in their testes. The entire population of the common Fathead minnow, once numbering in the several thousands, crashed to near zero because the hormone-stoked fish couldn’t reproduce.

“Any fish species we have in the lake, any male is responding to the estrogen,” said Karen Kidd, a research scientist at the Canadian Freshwater Institute and the study’s chief researcher. She presented her findings to the American Chemistry Council this week. “It is a feminization. … It’s enough to be concerned about what’s going on in the bigger picture (from estrogen).”

Kidd’s research - the most controlled experiment ever to look at the effects of estrogen on ecosystems - has heightened concerns that human female hormones may be hurting wildlife, said several scientists in the U.S. government.

Scientists are looking at whether estrogen and chemicals that act like estrogen are affecting human males, as well, said Mike Mac, the director of the U.S. Geological Survey’s Columbia Environmental Research Center. He noted that a study earlier this month in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives found that rural men exposed to certain pesticides that act like estrogen had lower sperm counts.

Kidd’s $925,000 study is mostly funded by the Canadian government, with help from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and private industry.

Estrogen gets into waterways through a familiar path. Millions of women take different types of estrogen in birth-control pills and hormone replacement therapy; Kidd’s study used the synthetic estrogen called ethynylestradiol, or EE2. When the women urinate, the estrogen passes into sewer systems, where bacteria eat much but not all of it. The remaining estrogen leaves sewage-treatment plants and flows into rivers, lakes and streams along with the treated wastewater.

“We do not have a good handle on what’s (coming out of) these sewage treatment plants in this country yet,” said Jim Lazorchak, the acting chief of the EPA’s molecular ecology branch in Cincinnati, who has worked with Kidd on the lake experiment. “This is a very emerging issue.”

Scientists have suspected for years that estrogen from humans is at least partially to blame for strange animal sexual oddities - such as hermaphrodites, which have both male and female characteristics - but other hormones and common chemicals also are thought to disrupt animals’ endocrine systems. As a result, scientists have had a difficult time finding a direct cause-and-effect example in the wild. Kidd’s study shows that link.

The clarity of the result stems from the fact that Kidd used Canada’s unique Experimental Lakes Area, a range of 85 unpolluted lakes hours from any city. For 35 years the Canadian government has set it aside for experiments in environmental science.

Since 2001, Kidd and her colleagues have put birth-control pills into one lake three times a week every summer. She then compared the fish in the lake to those they found there in 2000 and to those in two control lakes where no estrogen was added.

Kidd seeded the lake with 5 nanograms of EE2 for every liter of water, a level roughly equivalent to a typical U.S. urban waterway, said Larry Barber, a USGS geochemist who studied the prevalence of estrogen in 70 U.S. rivers, lakes and streams. In Barber’s study, four U.S. sites - in Florida, New York state, Massachusetts and Montana - had EE2 levels many times higher than in Kidd’s lake. The Florida site, near Moriczville, had 273 nanograms per liter, according to Barber’s study.

“The study in the experimental lakes shows that EE2 as an environmental contaminant has an important ecological impact,” Barber said. “This is an issue in the U.S.”

But there’s hope, Kidd said.

Bacteria that occur naturally in lakes and are used for treatment in sewer plants consume the estrogen in water. The answer to the estrogen problem in waterways could be simply to arrange for more prolonged bacteria treatment in sewer plants, she said.
 
Am I surprised, no, not at all! The way things are shaping up if the pro-death forces have their way any skilled medical personel will have no choice at all when it comes to participating in their quest for human population control.

What sickened me even more was his signing it today of all days, was this an attempt to slip it in un-noticed as we are focused on the final hours of JPII’s earthly life?

What’s next, another attempt to remove any barrier from forcing Catholic medical facilities to provide such evil services.

I suppose it’s just to much to expect a woman to go a few blocks to another pharmacy to have a perscription for birth control pills filled. They get to have their “choice” to kill their babies before they can even be (name removed by moderator)lanted into their wombs, but heaven forbid the poor pharmacist from having any “choice” about being complicit in their personal sin. Whoops, I keep forgeting that “their right to choose” is the only one that counts now.
Linda H.
 
Actually, I am surprized. This sort of conscience clause is one of the few decent things that we’ve managed to preserve here in Illinois on the pro-life side. It’s often the one bone we get thrown.

Rod hasn’t done much to formally push a pro-abortion agenda during his past two years in office. Actually, he’s been surprizingly quiet on it all. This “executive order” to supercede the state law came out of nowhere.

Ironically, he was asked about the pope at the press conference which he held to herald the new policy. (Which I hope will get challenged in court.) He replied that the pope was a great man who would long be remebered, and made a special point about how he (of Slavic heritage) found signifigance in how the pope helped to bring freedom to Eastern Europe. This fight for freedom of humankind is something of his legacy which will long endure, Blagojevich said. Apparantly, the governor does not believe in religious freedom of action in Illinois, however. Taking this step on the very day that the Holy Father entered definitively into his final agony is an absolute slap in the face to all men of good will and a clear act of tyranny over people of faith. Rod showed just how far away from a model leader like John Paul II he is.
 
Hmmmm, curious :confused:

I can see that some could make an argument that there is a compelling public interest that every pharmacy offer a full range of services BUT

I don’t think that any other regulated profession has rules that REQUIRE the professional to do a certain job. Especially with a non-emergency condition like birth control.
 
Not surprosed. It probably will be challenged in court, sucessfully I hope.

There is at least one recourse left to pharmacists in Illinois however, quit. I know that’s easier to say than do; but you can’t always compromise your morals. If you compromise here, what’s next, where will it end?
 
I heard about that last night on the radio driving from Eucharistic adoration.

Cool – to the fish study.

chicago…so, basically, boycott Jewel/Osco? 😦
 
As an Illinois resident I will boycott any pharmacy that will not let the pharmacists conscience be their guide. I fully support the ability for them to refuse to fill any prescription that they find morally offensive. BTW…They are required to point the customer to a pharmacy that will fill it if they feel they can’t, so I don’t see a problem as long as the medicines are not necessary for life.
 
40.png
chicago:
And OSCO pharmacy had been standing up for this man, too!
I wish there was an OSCO pharmacy in PA. They would get ALL of my business for taking such a wonderful, moral stand.

Since the passing of the Pope, we may honor him by standing even more firmly for those issues closest to his heart.
 
Well, no. Absolutely not. I mean that would be letting the governor and the pro-aborts win. Remember, OSCO was supporting their pharmacists rights to not fill the prescription. They did the right thing. So I would say that you should support Jewel/OSCO and call/write your encouragement to them for continuing to fight this. Afterall, it will make it more difficult and costly for them should they be required to hire a second pharmacist who must be one duty to fill the prescription if one denies it. And discriminating against hiring a pharmacist for his sincere moral and religious beliefs could be action for a case against them seeing as how it is against Illinois’s Constitutional human rights amendment. Osco isn’t the problem here, the governor and groups like Planned Parenthood who pushed him to do this are. While you’re at it, you should contact professional pharmacy organizations and your state legislators to encourage them to object. Not only is this unjust and discriminatory, it could put some pharmacists and pharmacies out of their livelihood. And I’m sure that they would object to that.

I wonder what Walgreens position is on this? I believe that the Walgreens family is Catholic, afterall, and that one of the people has been on boards and probably donated signifigantly to the Archdiocese. Unless I am thinking of another Walgreens family. But, then wouldn’t that be quite ironic if there was another with such prestige?
 
40.png
mikev:
Not surprosed. It probably will be challenged in court, sucessfully I hope.

There is at least one recourse left to pharmacists in Illinois however, quit. I know that’s easier to say than do; but you can’t always compromise your morals. If you compromise here, what’s next, where will it end?
I disagree. If they quit, you let the enemies of religious freedom, justice, and good morals win. Why should a pharmacist have to lose his vocation and livlihood over this. That is nothing short of religious persecution along the lines of what we have seen by totalitarian dictatroships all through the 20th century. It is precisely what Pope John Paul II found against in what the governor praised him for. How ironic and hypocritical. If nothing else, pharmacists ought to only go out kicking and screaming, thrown out by the government to show how unjust and criminal this executive fiat of distatorship is. Things like this are what ought to be the fall of such politcial “leaders”.
 
Blagoyavitchs actions in this have only solidified my position in not voting for him…didnt like him from the start…when I heard he was an Elvis fan, as I am, I wanted to give him a break… 😛 but after this, I seemed to recall how I like dogs…as did Hitler.
 
40.png
chicago:
I disagree. If they quit, you let the enemies of religious freedom, justice, and good morals win. Why should a pharmacist have to lose his vocation and livlihood over this. That is nothing short of religious persecution along the lines of what we have seen by totalitarian dictatroships all through the 20th century. It is precisely what Pope John Paul II found against in what the governor praised him for. How ironic and hypocritical. If nothing else, pharmacists ought to only go out kicking and screaming, thrown out by the government to show how unjust and criminal this executive fiat of distatorship is. Things like this are what ought to be the fall of such politcial “leaders”.
I agree, up to a point. Are you saying the pharmacist should fill the prescription? If so, I disagree.

If they compromise on this, they will find themselves filling prescriptions for RU-486, and God knows what else.
Your livelihood and vocation are indeed important, but so is your soul.

Again, short of filling the prescription, I agree with you. Fight this all the way…
 
40.png
mikev:
I agree, up to a point. Are you saying the pharmacist should fill the prescription? If so, I disagree.
No. I am saying that they should have the right of refusal for personal moral or religious reasons. (In fact, I would go further to say that pharmacies, themselves - beyond individual pharmacists, ought to have the same right of refusal as company policy. If the government wants to stop you, let them send in the police and inspectors to shut you down, padlock the doors, and forcibly take you away. Are they brazen enough to do that?)
If they compromise on this, they will find themselves filling prescriptions for RU-486, and God knows what else.
My understanding is that the prescription the pharmacist at the downtown OSCO refused to fill was for “emergency contraception”, So that’s already bad enough.
Your livelihood and vocation are indeed important, but so is your soul.
Again, short of filling the prescription, I agree with you. Fight this all the way…
Then we are in agreement. I think that what I am saying is that we should also appeal, in addition to the spiritual elements, to the importance of a more wideranging degree of concerns about concience and livlihood as these are also important concerns and ones upon which even those who don’t fully agree with our moral position could support, recognizing that they too do not want their professional livlihoods (or those of their fellow professionals who are good practicioners) to be threatened by such extreme regulations as what the governor has decreed.
 
This doesn’t make any sense to me. My daughter’s doctor wrote a perscription for a certain medicine. The pharmacy only carried the generic version of it which my daughter can not take because it makes her throw up. I asked them to fill the perscription as written and not use the generic version as a substitute. They refused saying they weren’t going to place any special orders and alter what they normally carry and if I didn’t like it, I could take my business else where. I did.

So how can pharmacies be forced to carry the pill if they don’t want to? I just don’t understand this.
 
Sir Knight:
…So how can pharmacies be forced to carry the pill if they don’t want to? I just don’t understand this.
I suppose that, as a regulated profession, the state has considerable juristiction over them.

but I still don’t get the legal principle that they are basing this on.

Plumbers and lawyers are licenced profesionals and they don’t have to take on every client that walks through the door.

this is interesting
 
Steve Andersen:
I suppose that, as a regulated profession, the state has considerable juristiction over them.

but I still don’t get the legal principle that they are basing this on.

Plumbers and lawyers are licenced profesionals and they don’t have to take on every client that walks through the door.
How about a hospital, must they provide certain services? Where does the line get drawn? I think the state has a pressing interest in what medical care is available to its citizens. Notice that for landlords it is regulated who they can refuse to take as a renter. I’m not saying I like that all that much, but it is the case.
 
OMgoodness!!! I just re-read all of that!! I’m so sorry, chicago, I misunderstood!!! I thought that Osco was FOR the…okay, nevermind, I was wrong. Thank you thank you thank you.

God bless you & Mary keep you!!!
 
This is outright discrimination against Christians. The governor is concerned about discrimination regarding who is sold birth control. Yet the pharmacist is not discrimating at all. It is not about WHO prescriptions are being filled for. It is about WHAT is being filled. Everyone gets equal treatment. Yet the governor and Illinois legislature force discrimination into law because discrimination against Christians is the only discrimination allowed in America.

Tell the governor what you think about his religious persecution:

illinois.gov/helpdesk/contact.cfm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top