I'm disappointed in Sean Hannity

  • Thread starter Thread starter ridesawhitehors
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ridesawhitehors

Guest
I think I am done with Sean Hannity. :mad:
I have been listening to him for a couple of years, occasionally. But today a caller politely defended a bishop who did not attend a gathering of some kind for Rudi Gulianni - and the conversation descended into a Catholic Church bashing-fest as Sean criticized the Church about priest abuse, the with-holding of the Eucharist from anyone for just about any reason, and because of the death penalty. Sean thinks the Eucharist should never be withheld because it may set a precedence to where it could be withheld for someones political view on the death penalty.
The caller (named Brendan) was SPOT-ON - and an obvious faithful and educated catholic, and didn’t let Sean get away with false statements about the Church. Sean seemed rattled, and just said the “Church is wrong!” - and cut away to a commercial.
It was cold.
I remember this kind of a conversation with him before - and it came to me that maybe his criticism of the church comes from something more personal then political views…hmmmm…

I like him as an entertainer, most of his politics reflect mine, I like the Hannity and Colmes show, and dang he’s a cutie. But I am annoyed at him as a catholic. I turned the channel to Michael Medved.
 
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
I think I am done with Sean Hannity. :mad:
I have been listening to him for a couple of years, occasionally. But today a caller politely defended a bishop who did not attend a gathering of some kind for Rudi Gulianni - and the conversation descended into a Catholic Church bashing-fest as Sean criticized the Church about priest abuse, the with-holding of the Eucharist from anyone for just about any reason, and because of the death penalty. Sean thinks the Eucharist should never be withheld because it may set a precedence to where it could be withheld for someones political view on the death penalty.
The caller (named Brendan) was SPOT-ON - and an obvious faithful and educated catholic, and didn’t let Sean get away with false statements about the Church. Sean seemed rattled, and just said the “Church is wrong!” - and cut away to a commercial.
It was cold.
I remember this kind of a conversation with him before - and it came to me that maybe his criticism of the church comes from something more personal then political views…hmmmm…

I like him as an entertainer, most of his politics reflect mine, I like the Hannity and Colmes show, and dang he’s a cutie. But I am annoyed at him as a catholic. I turned the channel to Michael Medved.
I’ve noticed the same things about him (except his cuteness;) ). What bugs me, is if you’re not on his Iraqi war bandwagon, you’re not a conservative. Baloney. He’s a Republican before he’s anything else. Guliani’s a Republican. So you can’t criticize him. Baloney on that too. If he thinks real conservatives will support Guliani or McCain in '88, he’s got another thing coming.
 
most of his politics reflect mine, I like the Hannity and Colmes show… I turned the channel to Michael Medved.
Fellow Medvedheads, unite!! 😃

Incidently, Medved defends Catholicism quite a bit. He’s going to be a speaker on the CA cruise later on this year right??
 
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
Sean thinks the Eucharist should never be withheld because it may set a precedence to where it could be withheld for someones political view on the death penalty.
I pray he someday realizes he’s defending the Culture of Death. He damages all Life issues when we defends a policy of Death.
 
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
I think I am done with Sean Hannity. :mad:
I have been listening to him for a couple of years, occasionally. But today a caller politely defended a bishop who did not attend a gathering of some kind for Rudi Gulianni - and the conversation descended into a Catholic Church bashing-fest as Sean criticized the Church about priest abuse, the with-holding of the Eucharist from anyone for just about any reason, and because of the death penalty. Sean thinks the Eucharist should never be withheld because it may set a precedence to where it could be withheld for someones political view on the death penalty.
The caller (named Brendan) was SPOT-ON - and an obvious faithful and educated catholic, and didn’t let Sean get away with false statements about the Church. Sean seemed rattled, and just said the “Church is wrong!” - and cut away to a commercial.
It was cold.
I remember this kind of a conversation with him before - and it came to me that maybe his criticism of the church comes from something more personal then political views…hmmmm…

I like him as an entertainer, most of his politics reflect mine, I like the Hannity and Colmes show, and dang he’s a cutie. But I am annoyed at him as a catholic. I turned the channel to Michael Medved.
I listened to Sean only for a few minutes today so I missed that segment. I understand your aggrevation with him because I feel the same way when it comes to his Catholic views. I have E-Mailed him before telling him where it says in the Catechism that the Death Penalty can be used but should be rare. He argued that the Church says it is wrong and should we also withhold the Eucharist from Politicians who are for it? He was trying to justify his view that if you deny a Pro-Abort Politician the Eucharist, then you would have to deny a Pro-Death Penalty Politician. He is not for that period. I have heard him say more than once that he was going to enter the Seminary when he was in college. Most of the time I agree with him on( most ) topics but on this one, I usually end up rolling my eyes and turning the channel or E-Mailing him! He just seems like another Catholic in the public eye who does not know his faith very well.:nope:
 
rideawhitehors, I also heard that particularl segment. I generally listen to Michael Medved who is on the same time but just happened to be driving back from a lunch and Hannity was on the car radio.

I was really distressed by his response. You were right, the caller was very well spoken, very calm and made his point effectively. When Hannity didn’t have a response he sort of yelped “The church is WRONG!” and cut the guy off. Further he CONTINUED the myth that the priest abuse scandal was pedophelia. It was not. Then he said 'everyone should be able to take communion." I about drove off the road.

I listen to Hannity only when I need Kool Aid although I admit he sometimes seems to be able to attract very good guests. Medved although I love the guy, seems to purposely find the most ANNOYING people on his show. While he effectively dismantles them, you still have to listen to the c**p they are passing along.

Anyway I’m sending Hannity an email FWIW. Both to comment on the exchange today and to ask him to PLEASE quit with the “priests abusing little boys” myth as well as the communion comment. Glad you brought this up as I was wondering if anyone else on CAF heard it.
 
A bishop once told me that as a Catholic, I must be principled, not partisan. I have noticed particanship over principals with Sean Hannity. I am basically conservative in my political views, but never over my Faith. I am glad that I missed today’s radio broadcast; it would have infuriated me! It seems to me that, even though Sean claims to be pro-life, he promotes the Republican party !st and formost. There is no way I can or will ever support a pro-abortion candidate like Rudy Gulianni unless the opponent would be pro-abortion with other major flaws. I am and remain a Catholic first!

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob
 
Anyway I’m sending Hannity an email FWIW
I didn’t hear it, but after reading ridesawhitehors account, I wrote Hannity asap re his abortion/deathpenalty equivelence.
 
trailblazer said:
A bishop once told me that as a Catholic, I must be principled, not partisan. I have noticed particanship over principals with Sean Hannity. I am basically conservative in my political views, but never over my Faith. I am glad that I missed today’s radio broadcast; it would have infuriated me! It seems to me that, even though Sean claims to be pro-life, he promotes the Republican party !st and formost. There is no way I can or will ever support a pro-abortion candidate like Rudy Gulianni unless the opponent would be pro-abortion with other major flaws. I am and remain a Catholic first!

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob

I agree. I guess I’m conservative before I’m Republican. And hopefully, I’m Catholic before I’m conservative.
 
I’ve noticed this with Sean Hannity and with Bill O’Reilly. I support both but only to an extent. Both seem to be cafeteria catholics.

Dan L
 
I use to listen to Sean and I too don’t like some of his views concerning the church and now I listen to Michael Medved he seems more catholic than Sean and he is Jewish. I will say though I know many seemingly good catholics who really don’t get it. I plan to attend a 3 year class on church ministry mainly to teach catholics how to be catholic.

God Bless
Kathleen
 
Hey maybe he has been listening to Bill O’Rielly. Now there is a guy that is sitting up and begging to be corrected but not in his opinion! How many times I have just been so dissappointed to hear him be stupid about pornography. With his “I don’t care what you read, etc.”
Don’t even get me started about how unbelievably rude and insulting he was towards our beloved, JPII. Doesn’t it get to you when you think someone in the media has some strength and wisdom and then they go and blow it? Eventually they put their stupid foot in their mouth and defend it until its time for a "hard break! As for me, I refrain from being a “fan”. smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_202.gif
 
trailblazer said:
A bishop once told me that as a Catholic, I must be principled, not partisan. I have noticed particanship over principals with Sean Hannity. I am basically conservative in my political views, but never over my Faith. I am glad that I missed today’s radio broadcast; it would have infuriated me! It seems to me that, even though Sean claims to be pro-life, he promotes the Republican party !st and formost. There is no way I can or will ever support a pro-abortion candidate like Rudy Gulianni unless the opponent would be pro-abortion with other major flaws. I am and remain a Catholic first!

Love & peace in Christ,
Bob

I agree, GB…many in our parishs feel the same…sad really. 😦
 
Lisa N:
rideawhitehors, I also heard that particularl segment. I generally listen to Michael Medved who is on the same time but just happened to be driving back from a lunch and Hannity was on the car radio.

I was really distressed by his response. You were right, the caller was very well spoken, very calm and made his point effectively. When Hannity didn’t have a response he sort of yelped “The church is WRONG!” and cut the guy off. Further he CONTINUED the myth that the priest abuse scandal was pedophelia. It was not. Then he said 'everyone should be able to take communion." I about drove off the road.

I listen to Hannity only when I need Kool Aid although I admit he sometimes seems to be able to attract very good guests. Medved although I love the guy, seems to purposely find the most ANNOYING people on his show. While he effectively dismantles them, you still have to listen to the c**p they are passing along.

Anyway I’m sending Hannity an email FWIW. Both to comment on the exchange today and to ask him to PLEASE quit with the “priests abusing little boys” myth as well as the communion comment. Glad you brought this up as I was wondering if anyone else on CAF heard it.
I agree on everything except I’m having a problem with pedaphila and priests abusing boys…I mean some did it …thats not a myth…?
 
Sean Hannity is good when it comes to analyzing politics. But I have come to believe that the real deal is Michael Savage, though I have to admit that he is an acquired taste.
 
40.png
KBarn:
Sean Hannity is good when it comes to analyzing politics. But I have come to believe that the real deal is Michael Savage, though I have to admit that he is an acquired taste.
Yes, like Stilton cheese!
 
Bill O’reilly had stated on his show maybe a year ago that this war was justified and that Pope John Paul II was “NAIVE” in his vocal pronouncements against it. Bill was certain Iraq was full of weapons of mass destruction. I did e-mail him and said he should appologize to our Holy Father for saying that against him. No reply. Didn’t expect one though.

I lump Bill O’reilly, Sean Hannity and Tim Russert in the same category. Cafeteria Catholics and not ashamed to tell the world.
 
40.png
aimee:
I agree on everything except I’m having a problem with pedaphila and priests abusing boys…I mean some did it …thats not a myth…?
Aimee, the reality is that the pedophile targets LITTLE kids. The priests mostly preyed upon adolescents. There is a particular name for this activity but it is not the same as a pedophile. Now this doesn’t excuse these evil actions in any fashion. OTOH given that Hannity is a talk show host using the more inflammatory and less correct term just makes the Church look even worse than it is. We are all of course horrified by the whole thing but it was a problem of homosexual priests who preyed upon young men not little kids. From the perspective of the public, I think this is much more of a negative image. Also quite honestly by being honest about the real problem, homosexuals in the priesthood who were protected by the higher ups, he would help to remove the homosexual halo that the activists want to promote.

Lisa N
 
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
I think I am done with Sean Hannity. :mad:
I have been listening to him for a couple of years, occasionally. But today a caller politely defended a bishop who did not attend a gathering of some kind for Rudi Gulianni - and the conversation descended into a Catholic Church bashing-fest as Sean criticized the Church about priest abuse, the with-holding of the Eucharist from anyone for just about any reason, and because of the death penalty. Sean thinks the Eucharist should never be withheld because it may set a precedence to where it could be withheld for someones political view on the death penalty.
The caller (named Brendan) was SPOT-ON - and an obvious faithful and educated catholic, and didn’t let Sean get away with false statements about the Church. Sean seemed rattled, and just said the “Church is wrong!” - and cut away to a commercial.
It was cold.
I remember this kind of a conversation with him before - and it came to me that maybe his criticism of the church comes from something more personal then political views…hmmmm…

I like him as an entertainer, most of his politics reflect mine, I like the Hannity and Colmes show, and dang he’s a cutie. But I am annoyed at him as a catholic. I turned the channel to Michael Medved.
Welcome to the club. I, too, am disenchanted with Sean Hannity. But never forget: Mr Hannity does not occupy the position he has because he is Catholic; he does not have the forum he has because he opposes abortion. He is where he is because he supports the neoconservative war agenda. His positions on abortion and the Church will always take a back seat to that. Let Sean utter a negative word about the Iraq War or the state of Israel, and he’ll be gone so fast, you wouldn’t have time to miss him.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top