I'm losing my faith

• Thread starter Thread starter HelpingHands
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have felt a lack of faith before like you. What I would recommend for you is to pray the rosary daily. Even if it’s only one decade per day, Our Blessed Mother is always there for us in times of trouble. Also, pray before the tabernacle. Stay after Mass and just pray in front of the tabernacle. This will give you strength. God is always with you, he Loves you more than you can ever know.
God Bless You!
You are in my prayers.

One of my philisophical dilemas regarding the faith is the conflict between the view of God as being extremely merciful, eager to enfold all of creation in his loving arms, and the reality of sin and accountablity of each person for theirs.

One the one hand, I can’t imagine that there isn’t a way for each person to be helped to Heaven, no matter what their circumstance of life, since we are all born so helpless, and are buffeted by so many different things throughout our lives. Where is the fine line between Heaven and Hell, weighing the infinate variables? We all live in an ocean of sin. The world is a crushing weight on us.

On the other hand, we are a fallen race who seem to be subject to falling still, and the reality of Hell must be true. Yet, how can this be, and who will go there? Are Catholics less sinful than others? Do the sacraments really shield us as promised?

Then, within the Church there is so much difference of opinion. The Catechism it’s self seems sometimes non-commitally written, to avoid spelling things out in black or white. Catholics seem to individually interpret it, much the same way our Protestant brethren do the Bible. Just read these forums and see all the differences! It’s disheartening! 😦

The Catholic Church teaches salvation is a process each day by a combination of Grace, Faith, and Works. Also concerning Heaven, and Hell, we believe, (and there are some scriptures that support this) in purgatory. It is a place where one goes that died in a state of Grace but still needs some purification to ultimately reach Heaven. We can pray for our Brothers, and Sisters in Purgatory to help them reach Heaven. The Cathecism can be confusing, let me reccomend a book written by Bishop Donald Weurl, Our local Bishop of Pittsburgh called The Teaching Of Christ. The Bishop goes into great detail in explaining the faith, and many parts of the Cathecism of the Catholic Church.
God Bless!
M

I must urge you to not abandon the ship. The Catholic Church is a truly unsinkable ship; one would not want to be anywhere else. The adversary would like you to somehow deceive you into jumping off, and it would be wise to make a firm resolve that he will not succeed in fooling you in this way.

I have heard some people say that the teaching of the Church have been examined by competent reviewers and found to be without fault. I differ a little with this thinking. I think that any individuals examining the teachings of the Church are imperfect, and will make mistakes. When you put many competent intelligent individuals together, as has happened with the Catholic Church, then the group is still imperfect; maybe being a bigger group, they can make bigger mistakes, and be even more sure they are right because of having a consensus. Now if you add in the guidance of the Holy Spirit, then maybe you are getting somewhere. If an individual somehow has claim on guidance of the Holy Spirit, maybe you could put some credence in him or her. If you have the Church, with continuing guidance of the Holy Spirit for about 2000 years, then maybe you are really getting somewhere. But is everything the Church teaches correct? I don’t think so. It appears to me that the Church approaches ever closer to the truth as time goes by, under the guidance and protection of the Holy Spirit, but does not yet have a full knowledge and understanding of the truth. I think it is likely that some teachings of the Church, other than the great body of truth we call dogma, are incorrect. Is loophole the right term? I don’t know, but I think the Church is not there yet in having a full knowledge of the truth. The veil that obscures our human vision is not liifted all at once, and our knowledge still makes progress.
So where can you go for truth? There is no place other than the Catholic Church to go. Any one person’s weak human logic, so ready to rationalize, so easily distracted, cannot compare with the magisterium of the Church. No other group of people offering their version of truth is in any way comparable to the Church. When Jesus asked the disciples in John chapter 6 if they were going to leave also, they said to Him, “Where else would we go?” If you contemplate leaving the Church, there is no group to go to instead. The Church has the words of everlasting life. Perfectly understood? No, but the closest shot at it that you have available in earthly life. Nothing else is in the same class.
If you think that the Church is incorrect on some point outside of dogma, you may be right. It is a good thing to discuss or write about that point in a gently matter to bring it under attention. Maybe your thinking will be changed by the discussion and you will be “converted” to the Church’s perspective. Maybe the Church will end up changing eventually – but the change might not likely be during our earthly lifetime.

It is well to think about that we have an active opponent here. An intelligent, clever opponent, very powerful – supernaturally powerful. It is no surprise that we might get distracted and doubtful on occasion. The adversary seems to have a good grasp of human nature in general, and a knowledge of the inner working of an individual’s mind and heart, and will use all kinds of tactics to distract and divert us. He can throw in our path appealing or appalling or interesting or seemingly terribly important and necessary distractions, that really are too much for us. If we try to resist on our own we will fail. Only with the help of the Church, of the Trinity, of Mary and the other saints, do we stand a chance. It is not like a personal challenge, like climbing a mountain. It is like climbing a mountain with an opponent actively intelligently working with power that greatly exceeds yours to prevent you. Without assistance, it just can’t be done. Prayer helps, but in our imperfect human state you have to anticipate failures, slowdowns, reversals, wrong turns, and be ready to deal with these disappointments.

I hope these thoughts might be of some help. If my weak attempts to put my very imperfect thinking into words are not helpful, hopefully my prayers will be.

40.png
HelpingHands:
One of my philisophical dilemas regarding the faith is the conflict between the view of God as being extremely merciful, eager to enfold all of creation in his loving arms, and the reality of sin and accountablity of each person for theirs.

One the one hand, I can’t imagine that there isn’t a way for each person to be helped to Heaven, no matter what their circumstance of life, since we are all born so helpless, and are buffeted by so many different things throughout our lives. Where is the fine line between Heaven and Hell, weighing the infinate variables? We all live in an ocean of sin. The world is a crushing weight on us.

On the other hand, we are a fallen race who seem to be subject to falling still, and the reality of Hell must be true. Yet, how can this be, and who will go there? Are Catholics less sinful than others? Do the sacraments really shield us as promised?

Then, within the Church there is so much difference of opinion. The Catechism it’s self seems sometimes non-commitally written, to avoid spelling things out in black or white. Catholics seem to individually interpret it, much the same way our Protestant brethren do the Bible. Just read these forums and see all the differences! It’s disheartening! 😦
Don’t be disheartened! Pray for faith! God sends us so many messages that He is with us. You need to ACCEPT these gifts from Him!
For example you speak of our fallen race. Well I’m looking at the Catechism you speak of right now. On the same page where “fallen state” is mentioned we are told that “Baptism, by imparting the life of Christ’s grace, erases original sin and turns a man back toward God!” Look at the clarity! And on the page before, St Paul’s words “then as one man’s trespass [Adam] led to condemnation for all men, so one man’s act of righteousness [Jesus] leads to acquittal and life for all men”. (Rom5) Look at the Gifts that God offers us and say “Sure, there’s Adam, but You sent us Christ. I ACCEPT Your gift, thank You!”
Look at the readings from today’s Mass (Luke 7) “God has looked favourably on his people!” And we could go on for ever with Scriptural examples that drown out the negative.
I assume from your posts, “Helping Hands” is your self-identity. But ACCEPT God’s “Helping Hands”. They are much more sure than yours or mine!

40.png
HelpingHands:
I’m started to wonder if all the claims of the Church are just the Empreror proclaiming the beauty of his magnificant garment, when in reality there is nothing. Let me share why.
  1. Too many loopholes in Catholic theology. I can give many examples. Many illogical things.
  2. No evidence of anything any difference in Catholics. Look at these forums and all the meaness here. People of ‘faith’ putting one another down with angry words. Is there any difference in Catholics? Where’s the santifying grace?
  3. Where is God anyways? It doen’t make any sense for God to abandon us here on this miserable planet like this.
  4. Why hasn’t the fact that Jesus came changed the world one iota? It seems like all this talk of Christ returning is just delay tactics.
  5. What’s the point in this all? Whole thing doesn’t make sense
6)There’s no logic to this world. Suffering comes to the innocent while the haughty feast. So then people say that it’ll all be made right by Christ in the end.That seems like another delay tactic.

7)The Catholic Church has been a poor witness to the world on many occasions. Look at history. Any one who is honest will admit that Christ’s church on earth has fallen very short.

So, now I wonder if I’m wasting my time. My church seems lost and confused, with constant animosity and no fruit. I don’t even want to pray any more. Does anyone else feel this way? I hope no one comes here and attacks me because I just can’t take it, okay? 😦
Oh HelpingHands, it is a difficult struggle isn’t it? You want to believe then you see the misery around you (I’ve read some of your other posts & know you’ve lost alot or was it everything?). It’s difficult to maintain the faith.

I have never experienced the type of loss you have so don’t even presume to know how you feel. I do know, however, that at times I too have my doubts. I question. I search. I get angry with God for not making it easier for me to understand. I ask for wisdom (a noble request indeed), yet it doesn’t ever seem to arrive. However, through it all my stubborn soul refuses to let go even though my mind and heart falter. God just won’t let me go, and he won’t let you go either.

I hope and pray that you can maintain your faith even though you question and doubt at times.

quote=HelpingHands No evidence of anything any difference in Catholics. Look at these forums and all the meaness here. People of ‘faith’ putting one another down with angry words. Is there any difference in Catholics? Where’s the santifying grace? . . .
[/quote]

JMJ + OBT​
Dear HelpingHands,

I think your questions and sentiments are all very natural; though, many of them may or can only be met by asking Our Lord for an increase in faith, hope, and love, and then persevering in those virtues, by sheer acts of the will, through the valley of darkness which you are experiencing.

As to your point #2 . . . consider reviewing the work and witness of a Catholic religious community like

the Missionaries of the Poor.

They are for real, and the only explanation for a man like Fr. Richard Ho Lung and the men who have joined him to serve the “poorest of the poor” is God’s grace.

I lived with them for a number of months earlier this year – every day I witnessed the tremendous power of God’s grace and the Holy Spirit working in the lives of the brothers, the poor they served and . . . well, in me too! I know for a fact that I wouldn’t have been able to do the tasks I was assigned – bathing terminal AIDS patients, washing the bodies of the deceased, repeatedly cleaning up large amounts of feces and urine – and all the while with a smile on my face and a flame in my heart, if it weren’t for the Blessed Trinity dwelling within my soul and sustaining me in my efforts.

I don’t know if what I’ve shared is relevant to your concerns, but I want you to know that you will be in my prayers.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

IC XC NIKA

40.png
whosebob:
As to your point #2 . . . consider reviewing the work and witness of a Catholic religious community like the Missionaries of the Poor.
JMJ + OBT​

Oh yes, I should have somehow linked my thoughts to the idea that the Catholic Church is unique, and that she is who she says she is . . .

Here goes: I see many Protestants, and men and women of other religions, doing good works as motivated by their personal and communal faith.

However, in what other context besides the Catholic (and Orthodox) Church, do you see men and women who from a young age completely consecrate themselves to a lifetime of work that the world considers “the worst,” that is smelly, dirty and dangerous tasks like caring for dying AIDS patients who have been scraped off the streets? And on top of doing it for a lifetime, their motivation is entirely spritiual (e.g. Matthew, chap. 5 & 25) without any hope of material reward or worldly acknowledgement.

Not every member of the Catholic Church belongs to or lives as a member of the Missionaries of the Poor or the Missionaries of Charity – but the men and women who do “max out” their Catholic Christian religion offer a great witness to the truth of that religion as a whole.

Dear Helpinghands;

I understand and feel your pain, I suffered the same thing myself, mainly because I attend some Bible studies with Protestants and non-Denominationals. The feeling I got from them was more pity than fellowship. Then I started to referrence the Catechism with the Bible verses, just to prove to myself that what I was taught wasn’t a lie, and one verse in particular opened my eyes to the truth of Catholic or any other Christian denominations doctrine:

2Tim3:16 ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

My fellow Bible students felt that this was their license to hammer Catholic doctrines, then I showed them Scripture to back up our doctrines, and reminded them of the first part of that verse, All Scripture is profitable for doctrine.

Maybe we will always have doubts about different doctrines and interpretations verses different denominations, but if they are backed by the Holy Word of God, then they are true and good.

As far as a way of helping each person into heaven is concerned, look again at the Cross, the Man upon it is the only way into heaven, by shedding His pure and innocent blood, we are saved and forgiven from our sins. Oh, we will still commit sin, never doubt that, but it is the forgiveness, through the grace of God by Faith in Jesus that we are granted access to Heaven, and the only way we can mess that up is by not trusting Jesus for that salvation. We will never be able to make ourselves worthy of Heaven, only Jesus can do that, and He did.

Have faith in Jesus, nothing else matters. He is why we live, by His grace we are chosen, and one day we will be with Him. I am praying for you, and hoping you still feel the Love of our Lord and Savior.

Yours in love of Christ,
George

Well, I’m very gratified with all the thoughtful responses. It’s encouraging,thanks. I’m reading every word of what’s being written. I think I need to go to bed now.

I can’t sleep, which is rare for me. I have anxious, troubled thoughts. Not only is life and death overwhelming, but the best spiritual hope that I had in this life, the Church, also seems so uncertain. There’s no solace to be had in it, because of the things that I’ve mentioned. I can’t count on much needed regular confessions, for one. In fact, my priest made a big sermon once basically saying that confession to a priest was rarely neccessary. He was probably technically right. Now I feel like a freak if I go. I don’t know what course to take. I feel frozen by indecision and uncertainty.

I just have now lost the rythem of the ebb and flow of my spiritual life. I can’t stand it anymore. 😦 I wish someone would come and take care of me, because I really can’t stand on my own feet anymore. I feel as if the weight of the world is on my shoulders. 😦

40.png
HelpingHands:
I just have now lost the rythem of the ebb and flow of my spiritual life. I can’t stand it anymore. 😦 I wish someone would come and take care of me, because I really can’t stand on my own feet anymore. I feel as if the weight of the world is on my shoulders. 😦
JMJ + OBT​

(1) The priest’s comments were just plain wrong, and Our Lord will hold him accountable for their effects; please pray for him.

And consider confessing to a different priest – I live in a small town myself, and I realize too well that such advice isn’t always practical.

(2) I am no expert on the spiritual life, but it sounds to me that as if you are experiencing some kind of spiritual valley or dark night.

In that case, you need regular spiritual direction. You might also consider going on a retreat – not a fluffy, pump-up-your-emotions retreat; but something like a 3-day or 8-day silent retreat modeled on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola.

To that end, please consider contacting the Institute on Religious Life. Just tell them that you are prinicpally looking for recommendations as regards possiblities for orthodox (little “o”) spiritual direction (as opposed to vocational direction) and/or retreats, which are reasonably close to your home address. [The IRL is thoroughly trustworthy in its considerations of orthodoxy.]

Getting one’s “hands dirty” in helping the spiritually and materially poor can also be a great way to experience spiritual rejuvenation. As your budget and schedule allow, you could consider visiting the MOP or another Catholic group (e.g. a community listed on the IRL website) for a few days or a week or two. Exposure to “faith lived” in such a radical way can have a powerful effect on one’s own faith-life.

Again, you are in my prayers, and those of many others who participate in these forums.

If you are up late and have the option to do so, consider visiting Our Lord as he resides in the tabernacle of a Catholic church or in the monstrance in an adoration chapel – don’t babble on there (with your lips or your thoughts), just offer your spiritual, mental and emotional struggle to the Lord in a silent love-offering. He will accept it and draw you ever closer to Himself and His Cross, even though such benefits might not be immediately discernable.

Remember, the Cross was oh so close in space and time to Our Lord’s Resurrection . . . so too will it be in your struggles; the servant is not greater than the master.

Consider, listening to one or all three of the following recordings by Servant of God Fulton Sheen:

Christ – His Passion and Death, Part 1

Christ – His Passion and Death, Part 2

Christ – His Passion and Death, Part 3

May Our Lord bless you and keep you.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

IC XC NIKA

40.png
HelpingHands:
I can’t sleep, which is rare for me. I have anxious, troubled thoughts. Not only is life and death overwhelming, but the best spiritual hope that I had in this life, the Church, also seems so uncertain. There’s no solace to be had in it, because of the things that I’ve mentioned. I can’t count on much needed regular confessions, for one. In fact, my priest made a big sermon once basically saying that confession to a priest was rarely neccessary. He was probably technically right. Now I feel like a freak if I go. I don’t know what course to take. I feel frozen by indecision and uncertainty.

I wish I had some words of comfort. I have been a place similar to yours in the past. I will pray for you. God Bless!

I think you’ll have to look elsewhere besides your parish right now, for spiritual nurturing. Keep going to the sacraments. Later you may decide to meet with your priest and demand some attention be given to this problem; tell him what is happening to your soul. Tell the bishop. I suggested a lot of things before.

But right now you need comfort. Try what I do, maybe. I personally am stuck in another country and just came back to the Church recently. I can speak the language but I need to speak it better before I can throw myself into Church activities.

Right now I simply go to Confession and weekly Mass–the basic things. However, for spiritual nurturing outside of my parish, I read on my own. I have a study Bible, and get to know the scriptures as interpreted by Catholicism. I read apologetics online. I read books about saints that inspire me and help me to realize God’s love more intensely. I listen to Catholic Answers radio shows. I do my rosary and other prayers. This kind of structure can sustain you, so I suggest being proactive about feeding your head and soul outside of your parish.

Your priest might be making himself unavailable, but God will never do that to you. He is with you–talk to Him. The Church should be a wonderful gift–and it still is, since that’s where you’ll be going to confession and Mass–but don’t put it before God Himself. Don’t let this kind of thing shake your faith.

When there was corruption during the times of St. Francis of Assissi, someone asked St. Francis how he was so excited about a Church, when they knew of a priest who had concubines and so forth. St. Francis said, "Such priests commit* spiritual murder* [by turning people off to the faith]. “If I were to leave the one true Church because of what this priest does, it would be spiritual suicide.” Hang in there and be strong like St. Francis.

Remember the story about the two bad priests in the Old Testament.
" In 1 Samuel 2 they will read about the two sons of Eli, who were wicked priests. These priests were known to be having intercourse with the women who worked at the Tabernacle (1 Sam. 2:22-24). God punished them for their wickedness (1 Sam. 2:25, 34, 4:11), but that did not disprove the religion of Israel or that its priesthood was from God. Similarly, the fact that there are bad priests today does not prove that the Catholic religion is false or that its priesthood is not from God.
“Bad priests have been around since the Old Testament, and if you had judged the religion of Israel by the quality of some of its priests, you would have missed out on the true religion. Ditto for Catholicism today.” (From catholic.com)
Do not let yourself commit spiritual suicide.

Nurture yourself outside of the Church by reading, studying, etc. This has proven to be VERY comforting to me, and might be for you too. Do not give up hope. Sometimes if I have a bad day like you’re having, and all else fails, I just make myself go to bed. Consider whether you have depression. You’re a nurse so you’ll know what to do if you suspect it.

But please try some of the suggestions I listed, and maybe see if something helps. Your trial must be vincible, or else God wouldn’t allow it. Use it to become closer to Him! And like I said, do not forget to ask for His help.

You’ll be in my prayers.

Part 1 of 2:

As to your philosophical dilemma:
God’s mercy is not incompatible with His justice at all. God knows that we’re all sinners. He is very pleased when we acknowledge it and appeal to His mercy. You lose the state of grace when you commit mortal sin. Mortal sin becomes harder and harder to commit, though, the more sanctifying grace you have, the more repentant you are, and the more you armor yourself with prayer. Mortal sin is not a hopeless battle at all! You get a sense of when you’re about to commit it; there are a few methods for avoiding temptation. Say a short prayer for help–interiorly, if you’re around other people, and don’t want to make a show of it. Or make the prayer longer if it needs to be, before the temptation is gone. Certain sacramentals are feared by the Evil One; I’m personally getting a St. Benedict medal blessed for me shortly. By no means do you need this kind of thing to be saved, but I’ll take all the help I can get.

The justice part of God does make sense. If there were no repercussions for sin, that leaves a big loophole to do what you want, that should make you uncomfortable. Consider that sin has far-reaching effects. Think about the butterfly effect. If I yell at my husband and make a selfish, evil production in front of him one night, think of how he’ll have to take that to work the next day, and how he’ll unintentionally spread some of that around. Think of how it’ll damage my marriage. If I fight and get really nasty with a relative, think of how much pain I cause them, how it’ll affect their relations with others negatively, tear down their trust in those they should be able to trust, and think of the extra prayers they have to say. As a Catholic, think of how any sin I do damages people’s perception of my faith.

Sin spreads. Penance is a way of putting things right, as much as it is about paying your due. Penance can be fasting, in order to take away your reliance on worldly things (a source of temptation); praying (and reversing your attitude, and perhaps interceding for others for their benefit and healing); and doing good works (which spread, fortunately, and help to counteract sin).

I think people who believe in “faith alone” aren’t really reckoning honestly with the severity and reality of sin; this lends itself to a more feel-good atmosphere among them, which is really seductive–yet deceptive if you think about it. I almost fell for it in college. They don’t have full knowledge of the truth, do not know better, and as Christians, are in some kind of communion with the Church, if not fully in communion with it, so our Catechism says that they have the potential for salvation.

So justice has the aim of promoting Goodness–you have an incomplete picture when all you do is see it as punishment.

Remember, also, that the Church does open up its treasuries in the form of Indulgences–a wonderful demonstration of God’s mercy! Some are not that difficult to obtain. In other words, complete trust in God’s mercy pleases God so much, that the remission of temporal punishment is made possible through indulgences. We’ll always be required to continue to do as much penance and good works as we can, because it doesn’t make sense not to want to do so, when we are specifically asked.

People who go to Hell, in a nutshell, are unrepentant people who willingly and with knowledge, committed mortal sin–in effect, they thought about their options and chose an option counter to God’s will. These people didn’t choose God. Hell is eternal existence without God. Since God is love and everything that makes us happy, consider an eternity without any of that. Imagine the worst case of depression multiplied to the Nth degree. They must repent to be saved, but they go to their deaths unrepentant.

Don’t forget, though, that if they become repentant, and they’re in a dangerous, grave situation and no confessions are nearby, they are absolved of their sins on the condition that they have “perfect” contrition (i.e. they are truly sorry for hurting God, not just afraid of going to Hell), and they must have the intention of going to confession at the first opportunity (even if they’re not sure they’ll get an opportunity).

The difference between going to Heaven and going to Hell, is the difference between choosing God and choosing something other than God, in a grave matter, and with full knowledge.

Part 2 of 2:
Are Catholics less sinful than others?
There are many degrees to which one participates fully in the Church, by their own free will. We number at about one billion or so. Sure you’re going to find wrongdoers and cafeteria Catholics, as well as very pious ones. Our religion requires a lot of us; some people simply are too lazy and hard-hearted to follow through, unfortunately.

You really have to find people who take their faith as seriously as possible, to make comparisons. One thing I’m so tired of, is having people tell me, “My Catholic friends don’t believe of practice such and such.” Well, if someone isn’t going to take full advantage of Church teachings, it’s not fair to draw conclusions about the faith from that. In fact, it’s illogical. So I really don’t like this question, and pondering the answer would seem to me, to require that you look around and judge people, which is a bad thing to do. As sinners, we are required to be humble.

Yes, the sacraments help to shield us as promised. We are meant to dip into them as much as we need to; however, don’t mistake that for requiring no effort on your part. Life will contain struggles–if it didn’t, we might as well be in Heaven now already. I can vouch for these graces’ help. I recently gave up some serious vices, which I can only attribute to this grace. One vice required serious work while the other really didn’t. Once I overcame the first vice, boy was that a confidence boost. Other things are falling into place much more easily.

When you mention differences of opinion in Catholicism, make sure of your sources. I don’t put too much merit in people who come and go at Internet forums–I look things up straight from the Church. Catholics who individually interpret issues should not be doing so; they should appeal to the teachings of the Church.

Where some things left in the Catechism seem open-ended, it is possible that it’s because they are in some cases. We talk about having “fullness of the Truth” but don’t mistake this for having ALL of the Truth yet. We have the fullness of the Truth as it has been revealed to us so far. There are still places where the Church says, “we don’t know.” See for example, Jimmy Akin’s article on Purgatory: Two Views. We know it exists, but we’re still trying to work out some details. You are bound to accept what we do know about it, but through no fault of the Church, not everything has been revealed. This shouldn’t be disheartening! You’re not going to go to Hell just because you don’t understand every single thing about Purgatory, or whether natural disasters occurred before The Fall of Adam and Eve, or whether cryogenically frozen-unfrozen “zombies” would have a soul. It’s always possible that through much study, we’ll arrive at logical conclusions. But just remember, it takes time and study to come up with these conclusions. The Church will never just give up and make up a teaching, just so it’ll have more answers. We wouldn’t want it that way, would we?

40.png
Karen10:
So I really don’t like this question, and pondering the answer would seem to me, to require that you look around and judge people, which is a bad thing to do. As sinners, we are required to be humble.
Just to clarify, the way I understand it is:
It’s within the bounds of our teaching, as the one holy and apostolic Church, to say that yes, a pious Catholic will be better off than a pious non-Catholic. It’s logical. They will better be able to fulfill God’s Will (including not sinning), because they know and believe more about it, and because they have the true sacraments that come with corresponding graces.

Remember that a sin is still an act against God’s will, even if the person didn’t intend to go against God. So a non-Catholic who doesn’t know that birth control is wrong, for example, is still doing something wrong, although their culpability is reduced to some unknown extent (and in some cases, eliminated completely) by the mitigating circumstance of lack of knowledge.

This is why we’re exhorted to beef up on our knowledge of the faith. And we have a lot more knowledge on our side. We’re better able to not transgress against God, the more we know. What individual Catholics do with this knowledge, and how open they are to learning, depends on choices they make; an individual’s indifference in this regard has no bearing on the fact that the truth is there for the asking and that the Catholic Church is the one true Church.

The danger in examining whether Catholics sin less, is that of becoming judgmental (bad), and that you look to the wrong persons–and too big of a sample–in order to extrapolate and come to unfair conclusions.

It’d seem to me that it would constitute disobeying Jesus and breeding animosity, would not witness properly to the faith, and would probably lead to one failing to look inwardly enough to reckon with their own sinfulness. So I wouldn’t go there, personally.

We do pray for sinners, though, including ourselves. It’s not presumptuous to say that we’re all sinners. We know as much. We’re not presuming to judge the state of any one individual’s soul, in doing so, though. We can pray for someone to see a Truth where it seems obvious that they don’t get something, for their conversion, and for our loved ones who have passed on, or even for other things not related to sin, such as their health. These prayers are done out of charity for them, and in doing so, we’re ideally not forgetting that we ourselves are sinners, or presuming to know individual’s souls as God sees them, or condemning them.

So I would feel confident in saying that a Catholic has much more available to them, in the way of attaining Heaven. To defect from the Church when you know this is a grave mistake. But I would be extremely uneasy with looking at individual Catholics and non-Catholics, and appraising what I see, without knowing what their individual mitigating circumstances are, without knowing how much God could have revealed to them personally, and without knowing everything they do for God, etc.

40.png
HelpingHands:

Allow me to be a big ol’ pain in the behind here for a while Helping Hands. This is the mother in me coming out so bear with me.

How can you even think of giving up when the rest of us are out here fighting for you and praying for you? Think of what that means on your part to give up completely. Your Catholic Answers Family is not giving up on you, I am not giving up on you, and I’m sure lots of real live tangible noncyber people are not giving up on you. More importantly, God and Our Blessed Mother are not giving up on you.

O.K. all scolding aside. Yes, it’s hard HelpingHands. Sometimes you’ll drag; that’s when God will use us for you to lean on. Sometimes you’ll have a hard time standing; that’s when God will remind us to pick you up. Sometimes you’ll need to stop and rest and we’ll let you do that. Sometimes you just won’t be able to go on that’s when God will find someone to carry you for a while. But give up? We won’t let you do that.

Keep up the good fight in spite of it all and remember - we believe in you even when you don’t. More importantly God believes in you.

Sorry for the scolding.

The first and most basic thing you need is a day or two off work, a lie in, and time to just unwind and blob out doing something you really enjoy. Call in sick, maybe!?

Only then will your batteries be recharged enough to follow all the really good advice in this thread!
We care about you, all of us! Take a bit of care of yourself, right now! It’s not selfish or self-indulgent (just for a couple of days, anyway!)

You can’t sleep because you’re stressed out. Anyone in your circumstance would be.

It’s amazing how a bit of physical refreshment can help you spiritually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back