I'm losing my faith

• Thread starter Thread starter HelpingHands
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
HelpingHands:
I’m started to wonder if all the claims of the Church are just the Empreror proclaiming the beauty of his magnificant garment, when in reality there is nothing. Let me share why.
  1. Too many loopholes in Catholic theology. I can give many examples. Many illogical things.
  2. No evidence of anything any difference in Catholics. Look at these forums and all the meaness here. People of ‘faith’ putting one another down with angry words. Is there any difference in Catholics? Where’s the santifying grace?
  3. Where is God anyways? It doen’t make any sense for God to abandon us here on this miserable planet like this.
  4. Why hasn’t the fact that Jesus came changed the world one iota? It seems like all this talk of Christ returning is just delay tactics.
  5. What’s the point in this all? Whole thing doesn’t make sense
6)There’s no logic to this world. Suffering comes to the innocent while the haughty feast. So then people say that it’ll all be made right by Christ in the end.That seems like another delay tactic.

7)The Catholic Church has been a poor witness to the world on many occasions. Look at history. Any one who is honest will admit that Christ’s church on earth has fallen very short.

So, now I wonder if I’m wasting my time. My church seems lost and confused, with constant animosity and no fruit. I don’t even want to pray any more. Does anyone else feel this way? I hope no one comes here and attacks me because I just can’t take it, okay? 😦
Sounds like the “Dark Night of the Soul” time. Many, if not most of us have been there and it is agony! But through it all, God is there, He is waiting and He will see you through. The Church is a hospital for sinners…and as such, many sin’s are evident. But that does not mean the Church is not the right path. It is the right path and filled with grace through the sacraments and God’s abiding presence.

If it were not for God’s love and His church, I know I could not, have weathered the many storms of life. No way will I ever doubt His love and His Bride (The Church) on this earth ever again. But I sure remember feeling like you do. <<<>>>>> This too shall pass.

Hi,

I used to be Catholic, and I lost my faith. It was a very painful experience, and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I don’t classify it in the same category as changing your beliefs at all; it can be very devastating. I hope you find something to comfort you no matter what happens.

One thing that comforted me was the certain knowledge that I was loved. No matter who was angry with me, or what went wrong, I knew that at least one person loved me, that I mattered to at least one other person. I think almost everyone alive can think of one other person that they matter to.

One other thing I did, when I didn’t feel like praying anymore, was to acknowledge the things in my life that I was grateful for. I would just keep thinking of things until they started to resonate. If I couldn’t think of anything that I was grateful for, I would think of things that would make me unhappy to lose. Then I would say thank-you, not to anyone or anything in particular, but just to whatever caused that thing to be in my life.

I’m not sure if that helps at all, but like I said, I hope you find something to cheer and comfort you.

George Craft:
2Tim3:16 ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

My fellow Bible students felt that this was their license to hammer Catholic doctrines, then I showed them Scripture to back up our doctrines, and reminded them of the first part of that verse, All Scripture is profitable for doctrine.
This is true. Jesus didn’t instruct his apostles to write Scripture. He instructed them to establish His Church. And one of the Church’s early to-dos was to write Scripture and to establish the canon. It’s scripture from Church not Church from scripture. It’s well documented for those who care to research.
I mention this because George was responding to Helping Hands’ concerns and it appears to be one of the sub-themes of this thread - still I’m not sure if this helps Helping Hands’ distress. Maybe there’s a bit of truth in all of our viewpoints, and maybe like ATeNumquam says HH just needs a break to put things in perspective…

HH:

During the OFFERTORY imagine taking your bleeding heart out of your chest and place it at the foot of the altar. Offer it all up to him including the sadness.

Let Him do what he does best.

in XT

You guys are great.Thanks.

Here’s the thing. I don’t get why there’s not more power from the sacraments. And, there’s power in other things in life. There are just as many people, or more, with joy and direction from climbing mountains or building stone walls. People at my church are just as confused as people outside the Church. Yes, there are nice people, but there are rotten ones as well. It’s the usual mix of souls.

I’ve been treated visiously by some Catholics. There are people in my church who seem to be merely concerned with social climbing and name dropping. There’s anger among members, with viscous rivalries. It seems that everyone is just protecting their own ego. I see the same here in the written words I read. It’s a sad state of affairs! 😦

I feel so battered by life and it’s disappointments. I don’t understand why people talk about the marvel of God’s creation! Life here on earth is a bitter struggle! It’s full of strife and suffering. I think we are fallen beings, and if God is God, he will help us out of here if we want help.

But Christ must be mystical. And, I’m not sure if the Church is helping us build a bridge to him anymore than individual efforts. Not that individual efforts are anything. But, if grace is to be extended to mankind, it seems that it would be available to everyone. Since we are all interconnected.

And, what is belief? It’s electrical energy in the brain along certain neural pathways. What does it mean to believe? Why is it important? A belief or opinion is nothing but a wave on the sand. Look at all the opinions in this place! Will this mean anything, these opinions? They are waves on the sand…

Anyways, I’m going to take it easy. If I miss Mass, I’m not going to worry. If there’s not confession available,then I guess I won’t go. I don’t have to give them money, no one is holding a gun to my head. It’s not like there’s a consencious in the church anyways. I’m just going to try and be a good person. Praying doesn’t seem to help much anyways.

Dear friend

I have been following your thread and now I have to say just what will you have if you leave the Church Christ founded for YOU and died to give YOU life so that you may live in His Church forever?

I often think of how fed up Jesus must have felt during His life on earth. He hung around with a bunch of men who didn’t understand Him, He was for the most part lonely on earth and grossly misunderstood, scorned and treated badly mostly everywhere He went, He suffered in every aspect of His humanity. Still Jesus did not lose hope in us nor in His Father. Jesus never lost His inner peace at the expense of all the events occuring around Him.

I’ll ask you then Helping Hands, who are you then to lose hope?

You are a very sensitive person, that is a lovely attribute to your character, it follows after the sensitive heart of Jesus, but you must not let your sensitivity drive you from Jesus and the Church, you must hide in His Sacred Heart and allow Him to console you there. But you are letting duplicity of mind creep in, this is a grave temptation of satan as it is an attack on your free will. Belief is important, we have nothing that is our own, save our free will and it is this that we can choose to give to God, everything else is His, He created it, but your free will is your own a very gracious gift from God that He allows you your own mind to choose and you must choose, we all must choose, life with God or life without God.

You are distrustful of the best friend you can ever have, Christ Jesus. You are looking at the bad behaviour of people and allowing that to colour your judgement of Christ’s Bride and Jesus Himself, that is an unfair judgement to form. You are looking at sinners to judge the Perfect, God. You will always be disappointed this way, friend. Is your soul a fair reflection of the Divine? I would say it is not and neither is my soul, we can only strive for perfection by God’s grace.

Not everyone recognises God’s graces when He grants it to them, they pass it up because all they see is struggle and do not see the benefit in struggling to grow in virtue. It’s akin to the child who refuses to do their tasks and chores, claiming it is too hard and unfair, when really it is what will build their very character and we are all being built and reformed into the character of Christ Jesus.

All this complaining eventually will not solve the issues you feel you face and I do empathise with your current struggles because I have faced them myself, but you must concentrate on making firm resolves and stop looking around at whatever other people are doing, you have your own personal relationship with Jesus within His Church and you may very well be a shining beacon that inspires others!

Jesus said, ‘Let us go away to a lonely place’ We all need to rest and recharge our batteries, spend silent time with the One who Loved you first so that you may love Him. You need to feed your spirit and this will happen in silence where the Lord speaks best to our souls. Don’t ask too much of yourself (or of anyone else!), the Lord asks no more of us than we can bear, simply do your best in the circumstances you are in (keeping in mind there is no good in any of us at all, save what God has given to us in grace) and the Lord knows this is the effort that will crown your salvation, we each can only do what we can do, by His grace.

You remain in my prayers and much love to you, may the peace of Christ Jesus be with you always.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I don’t usually respond on this forum, but I read alot. I could not help be respond here.

HelpingHands, the pain that you are feeling comes through so clearly in all of your posts. I hear the dissappointment and anger you feel at our fellow Catholics who should have known better and treated you the way they did.

I hear the frustration and confusion you feel at all the suffering and confusion in the world. As a nurse you must be exposed to so much more suffering than the rest of us.

Life is hard as you put it. It is very hard and difficult. And spiritual pain hurts, and hurts bad. In fact I don’t think that there is anything that hurts more.

But there is hope…there is always hope. I often think of Christ in the garden of Gethsemane and during His passion. Here is Jesus, perfect and sinless carrying the sins of all time. I can’t imagine it. What must it have been like to be weighed down with the suffering and evil of all time? It boggles my mind.

The sense of being weighed down by life comes through in your posts. You have a heavy cross to carry.

When we hurt spiritually sometimes we feel alone, and I mean alone alone. In our pain it can be so difficult to see Christ, but He is there. He knows very well what suffering is. He chose to suffer all that for you and for me. He is close to those who are in pain.

The bottom line is that Jesus loves you.

I would encourage you not to forgo Mass and Confession. I think it means more to God that we keep at it even when it is so very difficult for us.

I will pray for you, and I know it is hard for you to pray right now but please pray for me, a poor sinner who needs all the prayers he can get.
  • JBC

Dear Helping Hands, I have been where you are and am still trying to find my way. After reading your post, I can only remember what I read in Luke, the apostles asked the Lord to give them more faith. He let them know that they just needed the right kind of faith. Another question for you and this is meant with humility and friendliness. Who of us are perfect? Who of us does not make mistakes? Who of us can expect all to go smoothly and all roads to have no ruts? There is only 1 who can meet this criteria and it is not us on earth. I left the Church more than 30 years ago after the death of a good friend, I did not understand how God could allow that to happen. Several years ago I started to study the Bible in a different Church. The message doesn’t change with the Church you go to. After the death of JPII I am back at Mass, trying to understand, trying to listen to a message for me and what it all means for me. But my faith is strong that there is a message. I may not understand it, when it comes I may not like it. But I truly believe in God and when it it time for me to meet him, I want him to be smiling. This is my first posting and I hope it makes sense. But this one spoke to me.

There is more power in the sacraments than you think there is. It’s also very possible that there may be certain graces being withheld from people who clearly will not use the graces or hoard them for themselves.

If you tried to enter Heaven without sanctifying grace, you’d simply “drown” so to speak. Right now, it would seem especially important for you, even if you aren’t connecting any specific emotions with it. For all of us, there will be times when the emotions are difficult to conjure up. Even saints have had these sorts of times. Obedience is one virtue that lifts you out of this. Do keep going to the sacraments.
If grace is to be extended to mankind, it seems that it would be available to everyone
–and it IS. It’s available to everyone, and we’re asked to get sanctifying grace from the sacraments. Other Christian denominations do have baptism. I get other sorts of graces by saying the rosary, so I’m promised; or by praying, whenever God wills to give them to me. As for non-Christians and salvation, please see here: catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0403sbs.asp lest you misunderstand Church teaching. Bottom line: If they live in a way that accords with their best knowledge of God, we trust that he will be merciful to them.

I don’t understand why it’s difficult for you to do what we said: to stop looking at the Catholics in your parish. Do they have to be so invasive in your life? You can certainly go to Mass and confession without engaging in dialogue with those people. It’s that simple, why make it more complicated than it is? Why are you letting them be such a barrier? If every saint did that, they’d never have become saints. They’re saints particularly because they were better examples than just about EVERYBODY around them.

People who are vicious to others likely have some knowledge of Christ, but aren’t accepting and implementing it as fully as they should. So aren’t people who are guilty of sloth, which is indifference to religion, leading to not learning as much as they should about it. Yet others are good in some areas but struggle with chastity or issues of temperance. Does that nullify what Christ said completely? Does that nullify the very Church that He founded?

Regarding Internet forums: I know people who would rather go to other people in Internet forums in search of the Truth, instead of going straight to the catechism, apologists, authoritative Church teachings, encyclicals, books with Imprimatur (stamp of approval by a bishop), the Bible (preferably a STUDY Bible to get the full meanings in their contexts), to prayer, etc. If I listened to every Tom, D and Harry without doing some work on my own, I would be extremely confused and burned. There are all sorts of people here who are in different stages of learning. It’s absurd (my apologies) to expect everyone here to be a Jimmy Akin. You simply aren’t going to get the right answers from everyone; I don’t know why that is your expectation. Ideally, before people post, they should really ask themselves, “Do I know this, or is this just my opinion?” but too often they don’t. Be warned. That’s why I spend more time on Catholic.com’s other sections, or Jimmy Akin’s website, or with my nose in a book, or on the Vatican’s website, than I do on the forums here.

Your definition of belief reduces the entirety of the spiritual, to something merely biological. It’s as though you are starting to deny spirituality entirely, which is not going to help you. Try not to say things that you probably don’t really mean. There’s a tendency to believe something more strongly once you speak or write it out; in this case it’s not good. Be patient while you think and write.

I don’t get a lot of feedback here, in the way of how proactive you’re being, or whether you’ve taken any of the suggestions we have had.

Please–you do yourself no favors at all, if you expect life to be easy, or expect every aspect of its beauty to be completely obvious to you at all times during your trial. The beauty will unfold, the more you understand, which requires you to be proactive and learn. You cannot expect grace to wash away free will–that’s exactly what you are expecting if you think that grace magically transforms the hard-hearted who are insistent on not being open to it at all. Grace cannot work that way; it’s contrary to free will. It helps the struggling, but once someone has made up his/her mind not to use it, they’ve made their choice. There is always hope for repentance and deeper conversion, which is why we pray for God to soften hearts–but God works on His own timing, not ours. It is unfair, and illogical, to point to this reality as evidence against Catholicism.

I also know people who get joy from earthly things, such as hiking in mountains and such. They think they feel “spiritual” when they do these things. To some extent they can, but this isn’t the fullness of spirituality at all. I hate to think of what they are missing out on. These same people I know are pretty spiritually vacant when it comes to other things. They do things that are contrary to morality. They tend to approach morality as a question of what “I WANT” instead of “What does God ask?” I pray for them all of the time. There is a certain unbeatable joy in reconciling your own will with God’s will, but these people simply do not make it their aim.

HelpingHands,

There is absolutely nothing that I can add to what my brothers and sisters have already shared with you. There is no point in repeating. I would highly recommend reading the Saints as their lives were full of this. And even reading Mother Angelica’s story could encourage you as this woman is a no-nonsense kinda gal who suffered horribly in so many ways.

Af Father John Corapi said at the conference:
No pain, no gain.
No cross, no crown.
No battle, no victory.

And you can also think of it in this way…God prunes the ones that he loves. The crucible is not comfortable by far…but you will, in time, reflect Jesus because of your purity.

Please be reassured of my love and prayers…❤️

Thsi world is not our home. The health and wealth and happiness Gospel is what many people seek. This has always been the way of the world. It is not God’s way. The harder you try, the more adversity that will come against you. That is actually good, not bad. Scripture points this out to us quite clearly. Praying for you. You shall overcome. Be patient with yourself and with others. You are not alone and God has wonderful plans for your life.

Matt. 10:38 - Jesus said, “he who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” Jesus defines discipleship as one’s willingness to suffer with Him. Being a disciple of Jesus not only means having faith in Him, but offering our sufferings to the Father as He did.

Matt. 16:24; Mark 8:34 - Jesus said, “if any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” Jesus wants us to empty ourselves so that God can fill us. When we suffer, we can choose to seek consolation in God and become closer to Jesus.

Luke 9:23 - Jesus says we must take up this cross daily. He requires us to join our daily temporal sacrifices (pain, inconvenience, worry) with His eternal sacrifice.

Rom. 5:2-3 - Paul says that more than rejoicing in our hope, we rejoice in our sufferings which produces endurance, character and hope. Through faith, suffering brings about hope in God and, through endurance, salvation.

Rom. 8:17 - Paul says that we are heirs with Christ, but only if we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with Him. Paul is teaching that suffering must be embraced in order to obtain the glory that the Father has bestowed upon Jesus.

Eph. 3:13 - Do not to lose heart over my sufferings for your glory. Our suffering also benefits others in the mystical body of Christ.

Phil. 1:29 - for the sake of Christ we are not only to believe in Him but also to suffer for His sake. Growing in holiness requires more than having faith in God and accepting Jesus as personal Lord and Savior. We must also willfully embrace the suffering that befalls us as part of God’s plan. Thus, Christ does not want our faith alone, but our faith in action which includes faith in suffering.

Phil. 3:10 - Paul desires to share in Christ’s sufferings in order to obtain the resurrection. Paul recognizes the efficacy of suffering as a means of obtaining holiness which leads to resurrection and eternal life. There is no Easter Sunday without Good Friday.

James 4:8-10 - we must purify our hearts and grieve, mourn and wail, changing our laughter into morning and joy to gloom.
1 Peter 1:6 - Peter warns us that we may have to suffer various trials. Peter does not want us to be discouraged by this reality, but understand that such suffering purifies us and prepares us for union with God.

1 Peter 2:19-21 - Peter instructs that we have been called to endure pain while suffering for Christ, our example. God actually calls us to suffer as His Son did, and this is not to diminish us, but to glorify us, because it is by our suffering that we truly share in the eternal priesthood of Jesus Christ.

Doctrine-wise, you will find it most difficult to debate that there is untruth in our Church. If you think you have done so, then you haven’t dug deep enough.

You’re right, in that may not be the case with its members. But still, our pastor told us one day that we as Catholics should be holding our code of conduct to just a little higher standard than what people normally encounter out there. And we see how that is important.
A colleague of mine was a non-practicing Catholic who was recruited by ‘Church of Christ’ during his late teens. When he first met me, he would gripe about the Catholic Church. He no longer tries this because I just answer that if there were shortcomings in the Church then it was up to him to stick around and make it better, not to desert. If he put one-tenth as much effort into belonging to Christ’s Church as he was putting into his other ventures, we would both be equally or more fulfilled, as one. We should all remember (Helping Hands included) ask not what your Church can do for you but what you can do for your Church.

OK, I’ve read every word written here thus far. Some new doubts have seeped into my mind, since it’s been dwelling on this subject.

Now, I’ve kind of realized that I just don’t think certain things are really mortal sins. For instance, I don’t think that people go to Hell for missing Mass. I just can’t see God sending people to Hell for that. Also, I think it’s unlikely that someone divorced and remarried outside of the Church will go to hell. I posted a thread on that subject here, because I was really interested in people’s opinions. I also asked the apologists but didn’t get a response.

Also, I don’t think people using birth control will go to Hell. Is it a sin? Well, I think sex is part of our fallen natures in the first place. I don’t like all this modern glorification of sex, even the Church is joining in. I think sex is part of our lower nature. I don’t think people ought to be seeking pleasure constantly though sex, because it is carnal, not spiritual, even for married people.

I think the Church ought to encourage people to restrain themselves and be very temperate in sex. Instead of making a rule about birth control, I think all people out to be restrained and try to at least partially bridle their carnal natures. But the rules about sex seem to miss the point and be legalistic, instead of promoting an underlying principle. And believe me, I’ve worked really hard at overcoming my lustful tendencies, and I’ve been totally chaste in my unmarried state. I think celebacy in very valuable.

I don’t know why the Church isn’t teaching us to avoid sensuality and try to raise above our carnal natures. Instead, they make a few hard and fast rules, and people work the loopholes for all their worth. That’s what I think.

40.png
HelpingHands:
As far as my life, my sins are pretty typical ones, nothing earthshaking. I was trying to keep up with confession. My priest doesn’t encourage it and last time I went, he just didn’t show up. Now I’ve lost track. He was gone a lot this summer, so there was no daily Mass. My parish is a poor spiritual support system, being small and members at odds with one another, just like I see here. My priest has his own problems, and gets really mad at people he doesn’t like, and they have fled the parish.

Everyone has either a too strict and unbending approach, condemning everyone with vehemence, or else they are too much seeing the Church as just a soup kitchen for the poor and think sin is an outdated concept. Meanwhile, I feel abandoned. 😦
I am so sorry this is going on in your parish. If mine was like that I would probably feel abandoned too…hey,you know what? My old childhood parish sort of ‘degenerated’ after the death of our Pastor (the second in its history) so I can relate. It took me awhile to ‘find the flame’ again and what helped was finding a “Papist Parish”.

Is there another Parish you can join? Even if it means driving a ways it would be worth it…and have you ever contacted your Bishop about the lackadasical attitude?

You are in my prayers - and listen, don’t get all hung up about these forums…remember, you cannot hear the tone of someone’s email and I know I have overreacted to someone trying to be funny and I thought they were being mean. Hang in there, ok? Maybe get the Tape the Conversion of Scott Hahn. He’ll get ya fired up again!

40.png
HelpingHands:
OK, I’ve read every word written here thus far. Some new doubts have seeped into my mind, since it’s been dwelling on this subject.
Ok. fair enough.
Now, I’ve kind of realized that I just don’t think certain things are really mortal sins. For instance, I don’t think that people go to Hell for missing Mass. I just can’t see God sending people to Hell for that. Also, I think it’s unlikely that someone divorced and remarried outside of the Church will go to hell. I posted a thread on that subject here, because I was really interested in people’s opinions. I also asked the apologists but didn’t get a response.
You are confusing people being in a state of sin with going to Hell. It may seem like a very small distinction, but committing a sin is something a person can avoid and/or seek repentance for - and the Church gives good, solid, TRUTHFUL guidance in this area. But as for actually sending someone to Hell, that is reserved for God and, as the Good Sisters used to teach us at good ol’ Christ The King Elementary School in Pleasant Hill, CA, we will never know what goes on between a person and her Maker at the moment of her death.
Also, I don’t think people using birth control will go to Hell. Is it a sin? Well, I think sex is part of our fallen natures in the first place. I don’t like all this modern glorification of sex, even the Church is joining in. I think sex is part of our lower nature. I don’t think people ought to be seeking pleasure constantly though sex, because it is carnal, not spiritual, even for married people.

I think the Church ought to encourage people to restrain themselves and be very temperate in sex. Instead of making a rule about birth control, I think all people out to be restrained and try to at least partially bridle their carnal natures. But the rules about sex seem to miss the point and be legalistic, instead of promoting an underlying principle. And believe me, I’ve worked really hard at overcoming my lustful tendencies, and I’ve been totally chaste in my unmarried state. I think celebacy in very valuable.
I would suggest you try getting the magazine Lay Witness published by Catholics United for Faith…you would be very encouraged to find out you are mistaken as to what the teachings actually are regarding sexual relations between married couples.
I don’t know why the Church isn’t teaching us to avoid sensuality and try to raise above our carnal natures. Instead, they make a few hard and fast rules, and people work the loopholes for all their worth. That’s what I think
The Church has always taught us to rise about our human natures. The fact that the Church is full of sinners should not drive you from the Truth…afterall, the Church is FOR sinners - that’s who Jesus spent His time with, remember?

OK, I think I’m going to make an appointment with my priest. I’m in his good graces lately since I helped him with a statue refinishing project and it got him out of hot water with some irrate parishioners. He’s a good counselor and I have a work ethics dilemma problem I want to discuss, and then I can also bring up my personal struggles as well. Meanwhile I figure I’ll try and keep the faith best as possible and try and start praying again. I won’t do anything rash though.

I does seem as if the church is a diverse place that can include people like me who don’t like thinking in the lines. I think some of the more structured ways of viewing things that I see reflected here in this forum, and in my parish, are outside of my personal reality. I just can’t view the world in such black and white terms. I view life and faith more fluid, like water. Maybe that’s why water is such a powerful metaphor throughout the Bible. It can be solid and unyielding when it’s cold enough, but as soon as the warmth of the sun beats down on it, it becomes fluid and lifegiving.

40.png
HelpingHands:
OK, I think I’m going to make an appointment with my priest. … He’s a good counselor and I have a work ethics dilemma problem I want to discuss, and then I can also bring up my personal struggles as well. Meanwhile I figure I’ll try and keep the faith best as possible and try and start praying again. I won’t do anything rash though.
Great, that’s a good step, and I’m so glad to hear something good about this priest!
40.png
HelpingHands:
I does seem as if the church is a diverse place that can include people like me who don’t like thinking in the lines. I think some of the more structured ways of viewing things that I see reflected here in this forum, and in my parish, are outside of my personal reality. I just can’t view the world in such black and white terms. I view life and faith more fluid, like water. Maybe that’s why water is such a powerful metaphor throughout the Bible. It can be solid and unyielding when it’s cold enough, but as soon as the warmth of the sun beats down on it, it becomes fluid and lifegiving.
There are as many paths to God as there are people, and yes, there is a fluid and personal aspect to faith, life and revelation–that need not, and should not stray from framework of Christ’s teaching. I am hoping that you are not espousing moral relativism. *Truth is absolute. It’s either true or it is not. *One cannot say, “Murder is wrong for me, but not for that person.” or “Birth control is wrong for her, but not for me.”

One could try to couch their individualism in terms of pretty metaphors about sunny colors and fluid water but it doesn’t make them right. MORE brilliant are the colors of Truth and the self-sacrifice required to obtain it, and the individual implementations of Truth–rather than making up one’s own truths.

What some people are trying to fault the Church for, without realizing it, is having too much knowledge of the Truth. They say things like, “I don’t think there should be all of these rules. Some stuff just doesn’t gel with my reality.” There is a veil over their eyes–they’re not understanding that the Church has been given revelations about Truth, and is letting us know about them, not as a hindrance to us but as much-needed guidance in our ability to please God.

Without it, I could wonder all sorts of things to the point of agony. I really want to be close to God. Does using an abortifacient birth control pill please God? I could agonize on my own, for ages, over that, and come up with many selfish reasons on my own to justify doing so–and I wouldn’t be doing myself any favors. Luckily for me, the Church does know what I need to hear about an issue like that. She would not be doing me any favors if She withheld that knowledge and revelation from me. This is something to be thankful for.

I’m allowed to not understand some teachings, even though I obey them. Not every granny in the pews can be a theologian, someone said. I am asked, however, to take the Church’s word for it, as an authority with much more study behind Her than I have in my 32 years, and if I hold an objection, I am required to persevere in trying to understand that which I don’t yet understand. I’m asked to understand the teachings to the best of my ability, and this requires researching the topics on my own. It’s all there for the asking. There would be no excuse, bar laziness, apathy and selfishness, not to read the works of the Church in regards to the topic matter. With selflessly acquired knowledge, eventually comes the understanding one craves.

There is such a thing as a conscientious objector, as far as Church teaching goes. But one of the several requirements is that one’s conscience be fully informed. This pretty much eliminates being able to say, “Well, I don’t like that so I won’t obey it” in the case of someone who doesn’t even try to inform themselves to the fullest extent possible.

I’m still trying to help. Please correct me if I didn’t get the meaning of your last post. It’s just that to me, it seems that your understanding may have been tainted by secularism, humanism, and too much reliance on emotion and interpersonal relations. You wouldn’t go through nursing school, throwing your books away and relying on intuition, and listening only to the teachers who were nice to you or appealed most to your emotions, would you?

And so is it, through all of adulthood–a continual learning process. I went to Catholic grade school and high school, and quickly found out that there was still so much to learn, and that I’ll be learning for the rest of my life. By no means does that mean that faith is only an intellectual process. The beauty of Catholic faith in particular is that it embraces all of it, the full she-bang.

P.S. I think I read that you’d start another thread about birth control, Helping Hands–have you? If so, let me know and I’ll help you the best I can over there.

–And I’m still praying for you!

Love,
Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back