Immaculate Conception for everyone?

• Thread starter Thread starter JJO
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. My impression was that the OP sought to remain sinless as did the virgin - but that was a singular grace, as we know.

I don’t doubt that she was a very holy woman, but her alleged vision regarding the origin of black people so disturbed me that I find it hard to reflect positively on any of her alleged visions. Probably a failing on my part.

If God saw it just to make Our Lady’s conception immaculate, why couldn’t he do that for all or many other humans to help them in being preserved from sin?
He did that for Adam and Eve, so to speak. They neither had concupiscence nor “original sin”, their wills and intellects weren’t burdened by the imperfections that ours are… and they still sinned.

So… “immaculate conception” doesn’t mean “slam-dunk never gonna sin.” In fact, looking back at Adam and Eve should help us understand that Mary wasn’t just some sort of passive vessel. She actually lived out her vocation and life in purity and holiness!!!

First I heard of it. I only heard that St. Anne was barren in old age, and after many years of praying for a child, she and her husband conceived the Blessed Virgin in like manner to the conception of Isaac, John the Baptist, and many others.

If God preserved us all form original sin, there would’ve ended up being more than one fall most likely, and I think one fall (or two) is enough.

Last edited:
Interesting. I had forgotten that.
Does Mary’s Immaculate Conception also mean she got extra help in avoiding sin?

Last edited:
Because we we need Jesus to save us and free us from the bonds of sin.
God respects our freedom and that is also in order of our nature which is corrupted because of Adam and Eve.

Mary was granted the privilege that Original sin had no influence on her.
Therefore, she could not sin because she had no inclination to sin. She is perfect creature.

If we were like Mary we would not need Jesus, and we need him precisely because we are not sinless, we could have that possibility if Adam and Eve hadn’t comitted sin. And even then if we would need salvation we could not save ourselves because we are humans, we are not God.
We inherit propensity to sin because of them.
Mary received the privilege to be conceived without a sin and it is a gift from God, an extraordinary grace.

Maybe this could help you to understand better this topic
https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11312a.htm

I think that some things isn’t possible understand until God open eyes of our hearts and some things which we don’t understand now should be accepted in blind faith.

Last edited:
That is what I shall do thanks @Inbonum
“What seems to me white, I will believe black if the hierarchical Church so defines.”
― St. Ignatius of Loyola

If anyone has any guesses though please feel free to say them

Try to accept it, and ask God for help in accepting things you cannot understand now and for help to understand things which now seem incomprehensible.
God bless you!

The Virgin Mary was herself conceived (by her mother) to be immaculate because as the future mother of Jesus Christ she could not have any sin whatsoever (including Original Sin) which Jesus’s sacrifice freed ALL people from. You must remember, Adam and Eve caused Original sin, and until “The Lamb of God” sacrificed his life for us on the cross, NO SOUL could enter heaven. Mary was therefore born without original Sin based on God’s Immaculate Conception.

Last edited:
Original Sin isn’t a state that God imposes on us.

It’s a natural consequence of whatever it was that Adam and Eve did that destroyed the naturally occurring innocence we were all supposed to have.

An analogy would be—say that before you were born, your parents had heaps of money, then they squandered it all and you were born into poverty.
God didn’t make you poor.
It was your parents’ choices that did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back