Is a ring important when a man proposes marriage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tinajo, not to beat a dead horse, but asking someone on your knees is a strong customary form of supplication. Now, before we proceed, please realise this is pretty much an academic discussion. I’m giving my reasons why I disagree with certain etiquette being thought obligatory, not criticising what anyone may have done. 🙂

So, basically, you don’t kneel down when you simply ask what the decision will be. Asking on one’s knees is a millennia-old customary form of supplication and there’s no doubt as to the meaning of this gesture. The only question is whether it’s meant as such or not really. In the latter case, why pretend?

My solution to this problem would be either to
  1. kneel down and ask in that form, if one really wants to ask the woman to marry him rather than simply whether she’s ready and decided, thus showing that one values her above oneself, that it is more than one deserves, that she will do one a great honour by accepting, or:
  2. make arrangements at the table after a head-to-head making sure both persons conform to the Catholic teaching on marriage, have a mutually compatible vision of the future life together.
Please note that begging her on your knees to marry you is actually a better connotation than the courtly love madness of swearing vassalage to a woman and winning her favour by obedience (albeit conditioned by the fact that at the historical root, the woman was near-invariably of a higher social class and serving her was a way of advancement). :rolleyes: Think if a National Guard commissioned officer (roughly what a knight was about) decided that even though there’s still the governor on the top of his ladder, he’s now also going to take orders from the governor’s niece, effective immediately. :rolleyes: Or imagine the government going poof and petty warlords swearing loyalty to the women they desire on the account of their being drop-dead pretty and well-bred. I’m afraid that there is a strong possibility that the custom of kneeling down to a woman when proposing comes from those customs rather than from the special respect and reverence we connect it with. As I said in previous posts, nothing wrong with a petty lord, to whom commoners knelt, kneeling to women of his own class in addition to kneeling to both men and women of his higher classes - especially with kneeling on one knee being more or less what saluting first is today. But something was wrong with those guys bleeding each other to death to gain notice from a wealthy heiress or a well-bread supermodel.

By the way, a hundred years ago, people knelt to their parents, senior clerics and royals (by extension any more-or-less-ruling aristocrats). In that context, perhaps going down on one knee when proposing wasn’t odd. These days, well… mixed feelings.
 
good morning, chev.
yes, i agree with most of your points. Frankly, when it comes time for my son to marry–likewise, I’d like have a sit down with the future woman, and make sure she understands marriage, and the commitment they’re making.

But, instead of permission, just a sit down to express intentions, and have a nice talk about the overall magnitude of marriage, you know? I expect my future DIL and SIL to do this with my husband and me. Any woman or man who don’t feel the need to get to know us, won’t have my vote, for whatever it will mean to my kids at that time. We are a very close family–share everything–and I can’t imagine my kids marrying people who my dh and I feel are not such great choices. It will ultimately be their choice, hopefully, we’ve raised them right, and they will be able to make wise choices, using God’s guidance.
Good luck with that. Our son is getting married in June and that’s when we’ll get to meet our DIL since they live on the other side of the country. I spoke to her on the phone when he announced their engagement, and she has made contact electronically but that’s the extent of our relationship. Based on that I would bite my tongue 30 times rather than make any comments about their relationship & her understanding of marriage.
 
Good luck with that. Our son is getting married in June and that’s when we’ll get to meet our DIL since they live on the other side of the country. I spoke to her on the phone when he announced their engagement, and she has made contact electronically but that’s the extent of our relationship. Based on that I would bite my tongue 30 times rather than make any comments about their relationship & her understanding of marriage.
Hi Phemie–well, I hadn’t thought if he meets someone on the other side of the country. Hmmm.

What I mean is this–if a man should seek ‘permission’ from his gf’s parents to marry her…or seek approval…or blessing, or whatever one wants to call it–it’s only right that a girl do the same…as for her future parents-in-law’s blessing for the man she chooses to marry.
 
Tinajo, not to beat a dead horse, but asking someone on your knees is a strong customary form of supplication. Now, before we proceed, please realise this is pretty much an academic discussion. I’m giving my reasons why I disagree with certain etiquette being thought obligatory, not criticising what anyone may have done. 🙂

So, basically, you don’t kneel down when you simply ask what the decision will be. Asking on one’s knees is a millennia-old customary form of supplication and there’s no doubt as to the meaning of this gesture. The only question is whether it’s meant as such or not really. In the latter case, why pretend?

My solution to this problem would be either to
  1. kneel down and ask in that form, if one really wants to ask the woman to marry him rather than simply whether she’s ready and decided, thus showing that one values her above oneself, that it is more than one deserves, that she will do one a great honour by accepting, or:
  2. make arrangements at the table after a head-to-head making sure both persons conform to the Catholic teaching on marriage, have a mutually compatible vision of the future life together.
Please note that begging her on your knees to marry you is actually a better connotation than the courtly love madness of swearing vassalage to a woman and winning her favour by obedience (albeit conditioned by the fact that at the historical root, the woman was near-invariably of a higher social class and serving her was a way of advancement). :rolleyes: Think if a National Guard commissioned officer (roughly what a knight was about) decided that even though there’s still the governor on the top of his ladder, he’s now also going to take orders from the governor’s niece, effective immediately. :rolleyes: Or imagine the government going poof and petty warlords swearing loyalty to the women they desire on the account of their being drop-dead pretty and well-bred. I’m afraid that there is a strong possibility that the custom of kneeling down to a woman when proposing comes from those customs rather than from the special respect and reverence we connect it with. As I said in previous posts, nothing wrong with a petty lord, to whom commoners knelt, kneeling to women of his own class in addition to kneeling to both men and women of his higher classes - especially with kneeling on one knee being more or less what saluting first is today. But something was wrong with those guys bleeding each other to death to gain notice from a wealthy heiress or a well-bread supermodel.

By the way, a hundred years ago, people knelt to their parents, senior clerics and royals (by extension any more-or-less-ruling aristocrats). In that context, perhaps going down on one knee when proposing wasn’t odd. These days, well… mixed feelings.
you’re gonna hurt yourself, chev…don’t overthink this. lol
😛 😃
 
My husband proposed on one knee both times he asked me (the first time I told him I wasn’t ready yet and he was very good about it!) and I never really thought of it as anything supplicatory. Probably because, as others have mentioned, we’d been talking about the possibility for a while and so it very much felt like a joint decision - the proposal and acceptance is just the point at which you make the decision official. I can see your point about putting pressure on the woman if done in public, but this was in private with just the two of us for exactly that reason (I’m reliably informed ;))

Ring-wise I ended up with a beautiful engagement ring which we chose together, after we got engaged, because my mum pointed out to me that the man buying the ring for you is taking a huge risk in terms of your taste (some men just don’t have a knack for jewellery no matter how well they understand you otherwise), worrying about whether you’ll like it even if he knows you’ll say yes (and it’s even more stressful if he doesn’t know!), and choosing one together is a really lovely way to start off a lifelong commitment - making a joint financial decision, if nothing else. This was made clear to my then-boyfriend and he has told me it was a relief not to have to choose it all on his own as well as plan the romantic proposal 🙂

We spent a fun 3 weeks going around various stores working out what we both liked (sapphire and two small diamonds ;)) and while we did end up spending a bit more than we’d originally planned that really wasn’t the point - it was a joint decision and I really love my engagement ring for all the reasons people have mentioned above - I can’t imagine not wanting to wear it! (Fortunately my job doesn’t restrict me jewellery wise as I work in an office, or it might be a different story.)
that’s such a beautiful story–thanks for sharing.:o Princess Di had a sapphire, I believe, for her engagement ring? I think that gemstones are the new engagement ring style now…If I had to do it over, I might go that route. Yellow sapphires are so pretty, too.:heaven:
 
I really want my boyfriend to be able to meet my parents before we become engaged, but I’m not sure it will happen. With an international relationship, visa issues, and thousands of expensive miles between us and my parents, I just don’t think we’ll be able to make it to Canada before we get engaged. At 28 years old, it’s not that I need their permission, but I really want to show them that I respect their opinion, and I would like to have them say I made a good choice and that they’re happy for me before I go ahead. My mother got married to my father without introducing him to her parents, and she told me she always regretted hurting their feelings that way.

The choosing your own engagement ring is an interesting dilemma. I don’t particularly want to choose my own ring. I’m pretty picky about jewelry, but my boyfriend is even pickier than I am and knows what styles I like. He wears more jewelry than I do on a regular basis, and we discuss the ones we like and what looks good. I am absolutely certain that whatever he gives me will be something I’ll be delighted to wear for the rest of my life. I think accepting the engagement ring is a nice opportunity to show that I trust his decisions and am not going to be second-guessing him or supervising his every decision during the marriage.
 
Hi Phemie–well, I hadn’t thought if he meets someone on the other side of the country. Hmmm.

What I mean is this–if a man should seek ‘permission’ from his gf’s parents to marry her…or seek approval…or blessing, or whatever one wants to call it–it’s only right that a girl do the same…as for her future parents-in-law’s blessing for the man she chooses to marry.
Our daughter had spent way more time with SIL’s parents than he had spent with us before he proposed. She’d stayed with them a few times when she went to visit him and they were hinting very strongly that the two ought to marry.

He did ask DH for permission to ask her to marry him and I made a point of saying that I hoped if DH has refused permission he had still intended to ask her. I’d loved him since the first time I’d met him. He is a sweetheart with a heart of gold.

They just celebrated their 2nd anniversary and her present to him was a book of poetry she’d written – in calligraphy.

I said “Oh, how romantic!” then she posted a haiku that she’d included “Every morning / Your wife farts very loudly / She hopes you don’t mind” to which I responded “Ok, erase ‘romantic’.”
 
I really want my boyfriend to be able to meet my parents before we become engaged, but I’m not sure it will happen. With an international relationship, visa issues, and thousands of expensive miles between us and my parents, I just don’t think we’ll be able to make it to Canada before we get engaged. At 28 years old, it’s not that I need their permission, but I really want to show them that I respect their opinion, and I would like to have them say I made a good choice and that they’re happy for me before I go ahead. My mother got married to my father without introducing him to her parents, and she told me she always regretted hurting their feelings that way.

The choosing your own engagement ring is an interesting dilemma. I don’t particularly want to choose my own ring. I’m pretty picky about jewelry, but my boyfriend is even pickier than I am and knows what styles I like. He wears more jewelry than I do on a regular basis, and we discuss the ones we like and what looks good. I am absolutely certain that whatever he gives me will be something I’ll be delighted to wear for the rest of my life. I think accepting the engagement ring is a nice opportunity to show that I trust his decisions and am not going to be second-guessing him or supervising his every decision during the marriage.
I like your way of thinking, JW. Your posts are always so…rational. That’s the word!🙂

I hope you can find a way to have your parents meet your bf…that would be so perfect. I know you love him, and it would be a joy for them to see you two together, and wish you well. With God, JW…all things are possible ya know. This will be my special prayer intention for you and your bf…that you will be able to introduce your bf to your family.

That is all I’d like to see for my own kids someday…a time to wish them well…and they would know we are happy for them. (hopefully, we will be happy for them.):eek: lol:D

God bless…
 
Tinajo, not to beat a dead horse, but asking someone on your knees is a strong customary form of supplication. Now, before we proceed, please realise this is pretty much an academic discussion. I’m giving my reasons why I disagree with certain etiquette being thought obligatory, not criticising what anyone may have done. 🙂
Hi - sorry for not making my point clearer (serves me right for posting when it’s really late at night!) - I did realise you were making an academic point, but what I was trying to express (very poorly, as I can see when I reread my post after a good night’s sleep…) was that while I agree that kneeling has often represented supplication and/or worship, actions (like words) can change their meanings over time as cultures effectively ‘forget’.

So what I meant was that the man kneeling to propose marriage has become a symbol of the honour he gives to his future bride rather than a gesture of grovelling and supplication - it’s a way of showing that he will feel honoured if she agrees to marry him (just as she ought to feel honoured that he wants to spend the rest of his life with her). That is not to say that he should put her on a pedestal, but if each person doesn’t feel lucky to be marrying the other, I do feel very sorry for them!

Hopefully that makes my point clearer and sorry if I’m now the one beating a dead horse 😉

On the topic of asking for permission from the father, I agree that implies a lack of autonomy on the part of an adult woman, but checking whether the parents are happy with the marriage would, under normal circumstances, be a lovely sign of respect to the people who’ve brought up the future bride-to-be. In a way, I kind of wish my husband had spoken to my parents first, but we already knew that both sets of parents were very happy about our relationship, and when we announced our engagement they were both very effusive about it, so it was all fine 🙂
 
That is an excellent post, T. Thank you for that.

I also can’t help but wonder…would a couple seriously not know how one another’s parents feel about their relationship until the engagement? I think that even if my kids live off in far away lands some day, and I don’t get an oppty to meet the person they choose to marry–I’d hope I’d get to know them through email…phone…SOMETHING?? :twocents:
 
That is an excellent post, T. Thank you for that.

I also can’t help but wonder…would a couple seriously not know how one another’s parents feel about their relationship until the engagement? I think that even if my kids live off in far away lands some day, and I don’t get an oppty to meet the person they choose to marry–I’d hope I’d get to know them through email…phone…SOMETHING?? :twocents:
That’s a good point - I guess it would mainly depend on things like the distance, as you say… Maybe a good way of thinking about it is that just as the proposal of marriage should ideally come after the couple has already spent a lot of time talking about important issues related to marriage, and so in many ways is a formality (but still very worthwhile in my opinion!), checking the parents are happy is also largely a formality (since, again, hopefully you’d already know!) but again worth doing as a sign of respect.

Does that make sense?
 
That is an excellent post, T. Thank you for that.

I also can’t help but wonder…would a couple seriously not know how one another’s parents feel about their relationship until the engagement? I think that even if my kids live off in far away lands some day, and I don’t get an oppty to meet the person they choose to marry–I’d hope I’d get to know them through email…phone…SOMETHING?? :twocents:
It’s difficult, you know. I honestly didn’t know what to say to future DIL when I talked to her on the phone. I only know she makes DS2 happy and that’s really all I care about. It was easier for DD, in the context of finding as much as she could about the wedding where she’s going to be a bridesmaid, to find out stuff such as she’s Lutheran by baptism, she wants nothing to do with religion, her mom was a drug addict who OD’d when FDIL was 11 and she now talks to kids about staying away from drugs.

I would love to meet her before the wedding but it’s way too expensive to fly out there just for a short visit.
 
I personally think that it is ridiculous what people pay for diamond engagement rings. I told my husband when we were facing the ‘ring’ issue that I had no respect for anyone who would waste good money on such an impractical thing.
  1. Diamonds are more plentiful than many other stones.
  2. the mark-up for diamonds is about 500%
  3. I like blue stones better anyway
  4. I do not think the mining process is good for the environment.
    So, we got a lab created sapphire. It is beautiful. And I get complimented on it all the time.
It is unfortunate, but I think a lot of young women fall in love with the fairy tale…the ring, the dress, the wedding,etc. If they put half as much energy into learning ‘marriage skills’ as they do planning for the event, maybe more marriages would last.
 
I don’t think rings mean anything.Not when it comes as a sign of commitment. I know of a couple who were so poor when they were first married that a nun had to give them her ring so he could have something to put on her finger. they have been happily married for 30 yrs. and have about 14 kids. My parents had a long and happy marriage and my mother never wore a ring. Just cause she couldn’t stand the feeling of a ring on her finger. I think it comes down to personal choice. If you think they are important that’s OK. if you don’t then that’s OK too. I never wear mine cause i can’t stand rings on my finger either. a trait i picked up from my mother i think.
 
I also can’t help but wonder…would a couple seriously not know how one another’s parents feel about their relationship until the engagement? I think that even if my kids live off in far away lands some day, and I don’t get an oppty to meet the person they choose to marry–I’d hope I’d get to know them through email…phone…SOMETHING?? :twocents:
It’s difficult, you know. I honestly didn’t know what to say to future DIL when I talked to her on the phone. I only know she makes DS2 happy and that’s really all I care about. It was easier for DD, in the context of finding as much as she could about the wedding where she’s going to be a bridesmaid, to find out stuff such as she’s Lutheran by baptism, she wants nothing to do with religion, her mom was a drug addict who OD’d when FDIL was 11 and she now talks to kids about staying away from drugs.

I would love to meet her before the wedding but it’s way too expensive to fly out there just for a short visit.
I know it seems unimaginable that a mother couldn’t have some communication with her grown child’s fiance(e) but it’s actually really difficult to arrange. As Phemie pointed out, what do you say on the phone to someone you’ve never met? My boyfriend has spoken to my parents once, on Christmas day (or was it New Year’s?) and other than typical holiday greetings, they didn’t know what to say to each other. Both were kind of embarrassed that I made them speak to each other, but it’s really important to me that my parents have the chance to know him.

We’ve also got issues with time zones. My parents own their own business, and can’t just take calls at any time. My boyfriend and I both work long hours six days a week, and don’t have time to drop everything to make a phone call. The only time I can call my parents is Wednesday afternoons during my lunch break.

Similarly, I’ve never spoken to my boyfriend’s parents on the phone. I’ve spoken to his sisters, but it was awkward and uncomfortable. Really, until you’ve met in person, you really don’t have much to say to each other on the phone or by e-mail.

On the other hand, I have a fairly good idea of what my parents think of my relationship, and my boyfriend has a good idea what his family thinks, too. The issue is that none of us can be certain until we meet. After all, my parents know him from my stories and the few moments they spoke on the phone. They haven’t had the chance to know if they’ll get “good vibes” or “bad vibes” from him in person. All my friends and coworkers have told me they think my BF is a keeper, but I’d still like my parents to have the chance to decide that for themselves.

Sigh… it’s going to be another year or two before that can happen. 😦
 
And you know, JW, this might be something my dh and I are faced with some day, since my son has said numerous times how he wants to live in Japan, after college.:o We all might have to move to Japan then. 😛 I really would like to be a part of my future dil/sil’s lives some day…

…in a positive, non intrusive way, of course.😉
 
For me, the ring signifies to everyone else that “guess what, I’m taken and I’m happy about it!!” So that’s why I would want one - besides the whole “pretty…!” part of it. 😛

That being said, if anyone who wanted to marry me spent more than $500 ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM on a ring, I would probably smack them upside the head and tell them to take it back. 😃 I also don’t like diamonds much, so I’ll probably have a less “traditional” engagement ring - but pretty much, a ring with a gem in it on the left ring finger is an engagement ring.

Do you need one? Absolutely not. But it’s a pretty awesome tradition, I think, along with wedding bands. 🙂
 
I think it’s important…not that one can’t be engaged without one, but it is a signifying emblem…of the joy that God uniting a couple together in love for a lifetime of marriage,
laughter,
tears,
friendship,
romance,
stress, fun,
toilet seats UP,
toilet seats DOWN,
it’s your turn to change him,
not until you’re 18,
college is HOW much?
honey I wrecked the car,
we have to go NOW!,
because I said so-that’s why,
no I don’t know where it is-where did you see it last…,
hamburger helper again?,
do these make me look fat?
, not in MY house,
are you coming to bed?,
ummm the test showed a plus sign again honey,
it’s a BOY,
it’s a GIRL,
Happy Anniversary Darling,

or it’s just a piece of metal…LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top