S
SedesDomi
Guest
Time to break down that door, don’t you think?And only those willing to break the door down have any business entering.
Time to break down that door, don’t you think?And only those willing to break the door down have any business entering.
Very likely you do … and as a cradle Catholic I’m both humble enough and eager enough to learn more to admit this. And to admit that the RCIA process, as well as those who administer it, is far from perfect.Evidently thistle, you didn’t read my initial post that started this thread. I dare say I know more about the Catholic Church then a lot of “cradle Catholics”.
But you are right, I am no longer willing to do anything. If the catholic Church is like you and the cold and indiferent people that seem to be at my parish, it’s probably not for me. My mistake.
Maybe there is no true church as I hoped. It can’t be that Christ wants people to get a College degree in theology to become a member of his church. If Christainity is that difficult and is similar to brain surgery, good luck to the couple of dozen scholars that will be in heaven.
I knocked on the door, but I’m not gonna break it down. I got turned away…
RCIA, a fabulous program!
roblrich, you have seemingly expressed the drive to become Catholic, and it is a tremendous shame that the people in your parish, like other parishes across the country, are not open enough to fellowship. I would volunteer to be your sponsor, but I live out here in Southern California. I hope that the Holy Spirit blesses you with a wonderful person to sponsor you, to strengthen you in the Faith, and support you as you enter the Church. Continue on the journey home and pray for the Holy Spirit to be your guide.I had to respond after a nice post gardenswithkids. Thanks for the kind words.
I didn’t mean that my health was so serious to warrant expedited consideration into the Church. It is not. I only wanted to stress my realization of my mortality.
I have decided to accept this lack of acceptance from my parish and accept the extra scrutinization most converting Christains aren’t seem to be asked to accept as if I am not a Christain. I will go to Mass, go to RCIA classes, etc for as long as it takes. I will do this gladly, humbly and in good spirits. If the priest says I am coming along smoothly and it looks good for me to take further steps of sacraments, I will ask him if he is sure. Don’t I need further purification?
I will do all this as graciously as I can. But one thing I won’t do is ask someone to sponsor me. I don’t know anyone at this parish, and if no one volunteers, than I will do without a sponsor. And if that means I can’t be initiated into the faith, I’ll continue to Mass and RCIA until I am asked to stop coming. If I am never asked to stop coming, I’ll go to the day I die. That is all I can do.
I’d stay in the pew, personally, if I was in your shoes and I’d highly doubt anyone else would notice:Thanks Lily & IrishMac.
Before I take my leave from the forum (as I promised), I do have a question. At Mass, I know that in some parishes they dismiss individuals that aren’t elgible to accept the Eucharist. In my parish, this isn’t done and some walk down the aisle, cross their arms and receive a blessing.
If it is not considered rude, I would prefer not to do this, and either take my leave or stay kneeling at my pew. Are both acceptable, or will I be viewed negatively not walking and asking for a blessing?
If I’m not worthy to take part of the Eucharist, I would rather not take up a seat at the table…
I have not heard of such a parish. Many parishes do dismiss those who are enrolled as candidates. This is an imitation of the ancient policy of dismissing catechumens–but of course back then catechumens were dismissed because anyone not in the communion of the Church was dismissed. Your supposition that this is still the practice was a reasonable one, but current catechetical practice is not so reasonable. Candidates and only candidates are dismissed–I have yet to hear of any parish that requires non-Catholic visitors or casual inquirers to leave.Thanks Lily & IrishMac.
Before I take my leave from the forum (as I promised), I do have a question. At Mass, I know that in some parishes they dismiss individuals that aren’t elgible to accept the Eucharist.
Thanks. Those links are helpful for me as well I generally only go forward if I see that the priest is distributing Communion for the aisle in which I’m sitting, because I wasn’t sure if extraordinary ministers were supposed to give such blessings or not.I’d stay in the pew, personally, if I was in your shoes and I’d highly doubt anyone else would notice:
zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=71485
(see follow-up section)
and:
zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=70700
:twocents:
Don’t feel the need to leave this forum if you changed your mind about how friendly we are. We can be an opinionated bunch, but don’t take it personally.Before I take my leave from the forum (as I promised), I do have a question. At Mass, I know that in some parishes they dismiss individuals that aren’t elgible to accept the Eucharist. In my parish, this isn’t done and some walk down the aisle, cross their arms and receive a blessing.
If it is not considered rude, I would prefer not to do this, and either take my leave or stay kneeling at my pew. Are both acceptable, or will I be viewed negatively not walking and asking for a blessing?..
Hang in there, RobLRich. I, too, am in my 40’s and a candidate in RCIA, although I did INQUIRE about fast-tracking, since I worked six years for a Roman Catholic Diocese and my Catholic wife says I’m more Catholic than she is. All that is required for you to become Catholic is to profess your desire to become one, believe in the Catholic faith, and receive communion. This can be done on your deathbed, even. So, why wait?Thanks Lily & IrishMac.
Before I take my leave from the forum (as I promised), I do have a question. At Mass, I know that in some parishes they dismiss individuals that aren’t elgible to accept the Eucharist. In my parish, this isn’t done and some walk down the aisle, cross their arms and receive a blessing.
If it is not considered rude, I would prefer not to do this, and either take my leave or stay kneeling at my pew. Are both acceptable, or will I be viewed negatively not walking and asking for a blessing?
If I’m not worthy to take part of the Eucharist, I would rather not take up a seat at the table…