Is It a Grave Sin to Vote Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think the Dutch represent their people better than the US. Do they have a workable system? Sure. So does Russia.
 
However, is it not Church teaching that one may justifiably vote for a candidate who is pro-choice rather than pro-life if one is voting for that candidate on the basis of other, for example, social justice issues despite their pro-choice stand, rather than voting for them because of their being pro-choice? Would not this be considered a kind of remote cooperation rather than proximate cooperation?
 
I consider myself fairly left on many positions (not all), or perhaps center-left. However, are you stating that you are left of Bernie Sanders on economic issues? If so, I am just curious about what that would mean?
 
Last edited:
Why are these 5 things “non-negotiables” (abortion, euthanasia, same sex unions, fetal stem cell research, human cloning)
 
However, is it not Church teaching that one may justifiably vote for a candidate who is pro-choice rather than pro-life if one is voting for that candidate on the basis of other, for example, social justice issues despite their pro-choice stand, rather than voting for them because of their being pro-choice? Would not this be considered a kind of remote cooperation rather than proximate cooperation?
This is a decent summary of the Church’s teaching on voting one’s conscience. But every voting season there are a handful of posters that insist that the Church is wrong, and that a good Catholic MUST vote for that poster’s preferred candidate. No candidate conforms to all of the Church’s teachings, and the Church explicitly teaches against “single-issue” voting.
 
I suggest that voting for hypocrites and liars that say they fear God and yet act against his teachings is a grave sin.
 
I would hope all Catholics would unite and vote Republican. However, the morality of voting Democratic is hardly a mortal sin, IMO! “They know not what they do!”
 
Yes, the whole thing is worth reading, but I would also point to paragraphs 41 and 42.
 
Is there any point to this thread other than for people to get angry and vent?
 
40.png
on_the_hill:
Is there any point to this thread other than for people to get angry and vent?
You say that like its a bad thing.
Yeah, I guess I did. But I kinda sorta in a way maybe feel that way about it.
I was just thinking, someone should take John Lennon’s song “Imagine,” and rewrite it as, ‘imagine the world without social media,’ instead of a world without God.
 
However, are you stating that you are left of Bernie Sanders on economic issues? If so, I am just curious about what that would mean?
To be fair, I’d be more than happy to settle for Sanders’ policies if they were implemented.

However, off the top of my head, I would prefer a completely nationalized healthcare system including the pharmaceutical industry; expand Bernie’s taxpayer-funded tuition program to include all levels of education; guarantee taxpayer-funded basic housing for those who can’t afford a stable and safe home, tying this in to a jobs program, with sufficient training; eliminate subsidies to profitable companies; cut our military spending at least in half, including getting out of all wars and conflicts that cannot be justified as a purely defensive endeavor (i.e., did the country attack us or not?), and closing the majority, if not all overseas military bases and bringing all troops not involved in purely defensive endeavors home; end all arms trade deals; tie minimum wage to inflation and regional living expenses.
 
Left of Bernie Sanders was an accurate description! So, how do you pay for all that?
 
What are your thoughts on Andrew Yang and his universal basic income idea?
 
,how do you pay for all that?
See my “Cut military spending at least in half”. That would pay for much of it alone. Ending subsidies to profitable companies pays for more. Bernie’s tax plan and restoring the top marginal tax rate to what it was for decades after FDR would pay for more, as will closing loopholes and ending overseas tax havens, and numerous other policies that used to be law in this country. Paying for it isn’t the problem. The lack of will to prioritize these policies is.

I ways hear this question when it comes to helping the poor. I’ve never heard it from those same people when someone wants to start another war.

Also,
What are your thoughts on Andrew Yang and his universal basic income idea?
If it is implemented without gutting the social safety net, I am for it. It isn’t really on my list of priorities, however, as I fear it can be used as a justification to eliminate programs that would still be necessary for the working poor. Finland recently did conduct a study with a UBI that had favorable results for the policy, I recall.
 
Lofty goals, which, I’m afraid, would take several lifetimes to fulfill.
 
I ways hear this question when it comes to helping the poor. I’ve never heard it from those same people when someone wants to start another war.
I remember quite a bit of back and forth over how on earth we’d pay for the Iraq War. To this day, fiscal conservatives lament the ballooning of the national debt that resulted from this war we could not afford. Today there are similar objections from fiscal conservatives every time people say we need to start a war with Iran or spend more money we don’t have in Syria.

There is a difference between real fiscal restraint and what some “conservative” politicians say when they are trying to win votes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top