Is it a sin for Catholics to do Yoga?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gab123 still waiting on your proof that Dr Peters and Mr Akin “do not believe in wicked spirits, demonic deception and diabolical machinations of fallen angels”.
 
still waiting on your proof that Dr Peters and Mr Akin “do not believe in wicked spirits, demonic deception and diabolical machinations of fallen angels”.
I never said they didn’t. What i did say is that they are not exorcists. Furthermore anyone who doubts that it would be impossible to cast out thousands of demons should simply read the gospels. In one case, Jesus cast out a Legion of evil spirits from one single man…
 
Yes, you did. Post #129. Are you now willing to retract that statement?
 
Not so. I see the mix up though; You mixed up what I said to JimR in post #126 -127
 
Last time, and then I will use the handy ignore feature.

The credibility issues were posted in articles by Jimmy Akin and Dr Peters.

Your answer was that the credibilty issues came from those who “do not believe in wicked spirits, etc.”

Heck, I need yoga to follow the twists on the logic 🙂
 
After searching - two alternatives to yoga:-

Pietra fitness

Soulcore
Pietra openly says they use yoga poses (" (in some cases slightly modified, and in all cases re-named"). So if, as some here claim, it is the pose itself that is evil, renaming it won’t do any good. The demons will still come after you.

Soulcore claims that yoga poses aren’t “referenced,” but when you look at what they’re doing . . . yeah, there’s yoga there.
 
Chinese telephone. Don’t confuse things.

Yoga as a means to achieve mind, body, and spirit inner peace via yoga .
I’m not confusing anything. Go back through the thread and see how many times people have specified that they’re talking about the physical exercises of yoga.
 
Where? Show the teachings.

“The Church reproves, as foreign to the mind of Christ, any discrimination against men or harassment of them because of their race, color, condition of life, or religion.”. NA

To call them demon worshippers is harassment.
 
Last edited:
My first post contained links to an article & books that explains why Catholics shouldn’t do yoga. My second post contained links to Catholic forms instead of out right yoga.

I had intended to stay out of this thread, as I could see it going nowhere, but for the sake of balance I thought both my posts were comments from both sides of this argument.

I refrained from saying what I personally thought as I am not interested in debating the subject with others, especially after/from reading through the 160-odd posts. There are two opposing sides to this debate and never shall they agree - one side is certain doing yoga is sinful and the other is equally certain it isn’t!

I suggest you read the book I linked to, and then decided what you think on the matter.

In good conscience I won’t be responding further to this thread.
 
The goal of every yoga class is to effect mind, body and spirit. Again, go ahead and contort your body into Hindu poses formulated to invoke and worship pagan gods. I’m just telling you what exorcists warn Catholics to avoid.

~For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12
 
Unfortunately, this article is incoherent. It conflates Hatha Yoga (the exercise one) with every other kind of yoga (What you would call service, holy works, faith, devotion). It then states that Hatha yoga Is the primary way that Hindus are thought to achieve salvation. Completely wrong.
 
Hindus believe in charity towards all living creatures. Cultivating an attitude of respect and kindness towards all creatures is considered spiritually important.
 
Last edited:
Hard to know where to begin here. The description of karma is completely wrong. Not even close to correct. Most Hindus believe God has ability to mitigate karmic effects through his mercy. Countless traditional prayers attest to this

Completely wrong on the cosmology too. Most Hindus believe the universe is created by God. The concept of a mirage Is to allegorically describe a state of separation from God. One thinks the demands of the ego are all there is, but when one realizes there is a God, and that humans are meant to engage in a relationship with God, and one sets upon this path, then, one starts to see their previous worries and unhealthy tendencies disssolve. This is what is meant by the mirage idea—Your experiences and tendencies to do things are “more real” when informed by God because they stand in relationship with God who is the ultimate reality.
 
Last edited:
My second post contained links to Catholic forms instead of out right yoga
And again, putting another name on yoga doesn’t make it magically not-yoga. Especially when we’re being told it’s the physical positions themselves that supposedly open you up to possession.
 
A lot of discussion here about if it should be done at all, but little in the way of other options. If maintaining flexibility are your options there are several good books with excellent programs you can follow that in no way can be construed as Hindu, Buddhist or whatever: 1)Bob Anderson’s book called “Stretching” is excellent and offers numerous programs for a variety of different athletic endeavors as well a general daily program. 2) The Whartons’ Stretch Book, which is also a highly effective program, but the technique and application of the stretch are somewhat different that are different than Anderson’s. In either, you can do the stretches provided I would think without concern that the position is in anyway paying tribute to an evil deity.

Dr. Greg Buttaro’s book , The Mindful Catholic uses example which appear to be form Anderson’s program for the physical focus. In regard to the aspect of meditation or the mindfulness aspect guess the problem might be who you are you centering on? You or God? The Jesus Prayer or the Rosary , Divine Mercy Chaplet all offer opportunities to be God-focused without simply emptying your mind. Although, not the primary intention, they also offer a side benefit of the sense of peacefulness and relaxation.
 
Last edited:
Yoga is yoga, not different versions of yoga. If someone wants to stretch and exercise, there is no need for something called yoga. And yoga, as defined in a link I posted, is wrong to do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top