Is it a sin to want to die?

  • Thread starter Thread starter benjammin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benjammin

Guest
Okay, I am not talking about committing suicide, which is a mortal sin, but is it wrong for a person to want to die of natural causes. For example a person wishes that they would get in a car accident caused by another person, or that they would get a heart attack or an aneurysm. I know its a weird situation, but how would it be sinful for someone to want to die, but still go on living if nothing happens?
 
I would say yes because life is a gift from God and wishing for death is a rejection of such a gift. Let me add that people often see death as a way to get away from suffering and that is not a clear cut rejection of the gift of life. I think that St. Dominic Savio said that death is better than sin, the focus was not on rejecting life but on rejecting sin.
 
I’m not sure. Since you’re not actively wanting to end your life then I’d say it’s not. I look forward to the day I die because then I’ll finally get to meet God and say thanks. I think it’s healthy to be accepting of death, it’s a natural part of life, and it’s better that we come to terms with it earlier.

That’s my opinion, at least.

Now, if you’re actively -wanting- to die, then I agree with the above poster, that’s a rejection of the gift of life.
 
It probably depends upon the motivation for the desire. If someone wants to die due to despair, then it probably is sinful.

However, if someone wants more than anything to be with God in Heaven and wants to die only because physical death is what is normally required to get there, then it probably is not a sin.
 
👍👍
It probably depends upon the motivation for the desire. If someone wants to die due to despair, then it probably is sinful.

However, if someone wants more than anything to be with God in Heaven and wants to die only because physical death is what is normally required to get there, then it probably is not a sin.
 
Okay, I am not talking about committing suicide, which is a mortal sin, but is it wrong for a person to want to die of natural causes.
Intrinsically, I don’t think so. For St. Paul had a similar desire:Philippians 1:23-24 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
 
I’m not sure. Since you’re not actively wanting to end your life then I’d say it’s not. I look forward to the day I die because then I’ll finally get to meet God and say thanks. I think it’s healthy to be accepting of death, it’s a natural part of life, and it’s better that we come to terms with it earlier.

That’s my opinion, at least.

Now, if you’re actively -wanting- to die, then I agree with the above poster, that’s a rejection of the gift of life.
See, I kind of have that view as well, but mine is a bit darker. I kind of see life as terrible and it sucks and is full of pain. When I finally die it will be a relief. Its not like I want to actively try to end my life, but say it just happened, i would be okay with it
 
See, I kind of have that view as well, but mine is a bit darker. I kind of see life as terrible and it sucks and is full of pain. When I finally die it will be a relief. Its not like I want to actively try to end my life, but say it just happened, i would be okay with it
Why do you see life as so horrible? I understand that people generally stink, but the world and the universe are both amazing. As is the religion God gave us to lead us to Him. I could spend my whole life studying church history, it’s beautiful and amazing.
 
If it’s a matter of wanting to die in a certain manner i.e. during sleep of a cardiac event vs. a prolonged death by cancer, nope, not a sin. It would seem that most people would like to die a quick, painless death.

If it’s a matter of wanting to die prematurely i.e. before God wants us to die, yep, probably sinful, just like it would be a problem to want to live beyone when the Almighty is calling us home, and doing everything “above and beyond” to preserve that life.

If it’s a matter of looking forward to death, whenever that may be, in anticipation of the afterlife, it would seem that there is nothing wrong with that, as long as we, again, do not wish to hasten it before our time.
 
See, I kind of have that view as well, but mine is a bit darker. I kind of see life as terrible and it sucks and is full of pain. When I finally die it will be a relief. Its not like I want to actively try to end my life, but say it just happened, i would be okay with it
The problem here is that you see a gift from God as something that is terrible and that sucks, that is a rejection of His gift. Seeing life as full of pain is normal and we are called to see the pain and accept it like Christ did for us. Do we have to like the pain? Not at all, but we have to learn to love everything that comes to us through our life.
 
See, I kind of have that view as well, but mine is a bit darker. I kind of see life as terrible and it sucks and is full of pain. When I finally die it will be a relief. Its not like I want to actively try to end my life, but say it just happened, i would be okay with it
Ben, I’ve had that attitude after some really rough events in my life. I think it’s a pretty common part of depression-it’s a sort of distorted thinking that seems logical at the time to the person. I don’t think it’s a sin for that reason; in other words I think it’s pathological but not willfully sinful.

Be patient. It may take a while, but your outlook can change for the better more than probably seems possible to you now. Give God time–He can’t do His work in you if you don’t give Him time to do so. And please consider asking for professional help if you continue to feel this way.
 
I have thought about death alot espically for a specific reasons if it is God’s will that I go soon so be it… also if I am to live long and die in some home, i will accept that too as God’s will…
but right here and right now all that matters to me is doing the will of God no matter where that leads me…
i am not sure if what you are saying is a sin or not but you need to look at the situation that lead you to think like this…
 
Personally, I would not want to die accidentally at the hands of another because that will give them guilt the rest of their lives. (Of course if might be “productive guilt”, ie, drunk driving and he/she kills you.)

But I have often wondered if you refuse treatment for a condition whose treatment may incur huge expense for you and your family when there is not a good chance that you will even survive.
 
Ben, I’ve had that attitude after some really rough events in my life. I think it’s a pretty common part of depression-it’s a sort of distorted thinking that seems logical at the time to the person. I don’t think it’s a sin for that reason; in other words I think it’s pathological but not willfully sinful.

Be patient. It may take a while, but your outlook can change for the better more than probably seems possible to you now. Give God time–He can’t do His work in you if you don’t give Him time to do so. And please consider asking for professional help if you continue to feel this way.
I agree. I’m in the same situation but there is no good help here where I live. Nothing much has changed. I am considering fasting once a week to beg the Lord to cure me of my anxiety/depression and also that we can move closer to home. I have no friends or family here and I cannot seem to make any friends no matter how hard I try. Even at church.
 
But I have often wondered if you refuse treatment for a condition whose treatment may incur huge expense for you and your family when there is not a good chance that you will even survive.
It is allowed to refuse treatment if it is prohibitively expensive, even if it has a high likelihood of succeeding. The cost makes it “unavailable” in that case.
 
It probably depends upon the motivation for the desire. If someone wants to die due to despair, then it probably is sinful.

However, if someone wants more than anything to be with God in Heaven and wants to die only because physical death is what is normally required to get there, then it probably is not a sin.
This pair of thoughts are totally backward, but in all cases only God can know the inner workings of a persons heart and mind. Still, in general the Catholic experts I’ve heard explain these situations as follows:

If you are in despair, particularly something even close to a mental illness like depression, you are less culpable of a sin, even suicide for a seriously depressed person, let alone bad wishes on your life.

If you are making a rational argument and justify a poor wish upon yourself you are talking yourself into a poor choice and are more responsible for your ill reasoning and nonrecognition of Gods gifts and graces not less.
 
Okay, I am not talking about committing suicide, which is a mortal sin, but is it wrong for a person to want to die of natural causes. For example a person wishes that they would get in a car accident caused by another person, or that they would get a heart attack or an aneurysm. I know its a weird situation, but how would it be sinful for someone to want to die, but still go on living if nothing happens?
Good news, bad news. Bad news first.

These examples don’t sound good. Better than suicidal, yes - but since God has us here, He apparently wants us here for now. We will eventually die but Jesus tells us to “work while it is day, the night comes when no one can work …” - paraphrase.

If life is a cross, Jesus tells us to carry it and follow Him.

Good News:

“Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say Rejoice!” - St. Paul.

St. Paul is good to quote on this one - because at some times he seems conflicted as to what to do and what he is feeling. For example"

2 Corinthians 5:6

*6 So we are always courageous, although we know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight.

8 Yet we are courageous, and we would rather leave the body and go home to the Lord.

9Therefore, we aspire to please him, whether we are at home or away.

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive recompense, according to what he did in the body, whether good or evil.

11 Therefore, since we know the fear of the Lord, we try to persuade others; but we are clearly apparent to God, and I hope we are also apparent to your consciousness.
*

Paul has feelings close to part of what you describe (not suicidal, but rather yearning) -
yet he defers to God, trying to please HIM whether at “home” (heaven where God is) or “away” (here on Earth, serving others, as God appears to want THAT now since He has not called us “home”).

Romans 8:18 I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us.

19 For creation awaits with eager expectation the revelation of the children of God;

20 for creation was made subject to futility, not of its own accord but because of the one who subjected it, in hope

21 that creation itself would be set free from slavery to corruption and share in the glorious freedom of the children of God.

22 We know that all creation is groaning in labor pains even until now;

23 and not only that, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, we also groan within ourselves as we wait for adoption, the redemption of our bodies.

24 For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees?

25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance.

26 In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit itself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly dwelling, a tent, should be destroyed, we have a building from God, a dwelling not made with hands, eternal in heaven.

**2 For in this tent we groan, longing to be further clothed with our heavenly habitation
**
3 if indeed, when we have taken it off, we shall not be found naked.

4 For while we are in this tent we groan and are weighed down, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.

More good news than bad! Part of a holy person’s journey is sometimes to feel like one wants to die. St. John of the Cross called it a “dark night of the soul.” Elijah himself was about to hang it up emotionally when God sent him an angel with some food. In FACT, Jesus Himself in the Garden was torn the other way. ABOUT to die and fulfill His life - He was torn by many things too - and received an Angel’s strengthening. We KNOW Jesus did not sin in His “sorrow unto death” nor his request to “let this cup pass” - but we also know that he carried His cross to the end - and victory. :gopray2::angel1:
 
I’m having difficulty understanding the question, but from what I can gather, you’re asking if wanting to die a certain way is sinful. If that’s so, I doubt it’s a sin.

If you mean someone actually wanting to die, it may or may not. Someone who is struggling with mental illness may not be sinning if he/she desires death based on particular circumstance
 
This pair of thoughts are totally backward, but in all cases only God can know the inner workings of a persons heart and mind. Still, in general the Catholic experts I’ve heard explain these situations as follows:

If you are in despair, particularly something even close to a mental illness like depression, you are less culpable of a sin, even suicide for a seriously depressed person, let alone bad wishes on your life.

If you are making a rational argument and justify a poor wish upon yourself you are talking yourself into a poor choice and are more responsible for your ill reasoning and nonrecognition of Gods gifts and graces not less.
I specifically avoided using the term “depression” to avoid confusion with mental illness. I certainly did not mean to infer any connection between mental illness and sinful despair. (perhaps “nihilism” would be a more appropriate term for you?)

The other side of my argument was supported my MarcoPolo’s citation of St. Paul’s letter, which I repeat here:

[BIBLEDRB]Philippians 1:23-24[/BIBLEDRB]

All points in this discussion preclude taking positive action to end one’s life (OP’s framework).
 
Okay, I am not talking about committing suicide, which is a mortal sin, but is it wrong for a person to want to die of natural causes. For example a person wishes that they would get in a car accident caused by another person, or that they would get a heart attack or an aneurysm. I know its a weird situation, but how would it be sinful for someone to want to die, but still go on living if nothing happens?
I wouldn’t call it a sin, but it is a serious problem. If you feel like this then you should seek out a counselor or priest. Desires easily lead to actions. It is a small step from wanting to die to wanting to kill yourself. Talk to someone you can trust.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top