Is it Possible...a non-Catholic Saint?

• Thread starter Thread starter Edwin1961
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin1961

While taking my morning walk, the thought had occured to me…Is it possible for a non-Catholic Saint?
I am referring to someone like Ronald Reagan. Why?
On Revelant Radio, it was mentioned that the majority of Pres. Reagan’s cabinet and staff were devout Catholics. Plus his father (Jack) was Catholic. If intercession prayers were prayed to Ronald Reagan, would and could God have miracles possible? I certainly believe that with God ALL things ARE possible, so… :hmmm:

I can forsee portraits of Ronald Reagan in many Catholic homes regardless such a happening, more so than pics of JFK in Catholic homes in the 1960’s & 1970’s.

What are your thoughts?

Go with God!
Edwin

Only the catholic and orthodox churches claim they have the authority to canonize saints, and it it unlikely that either of them would canonize a protestant. But of course a saint is just someone who is in heaven, so we know there must be many non-catholic saints.

40.png
Edwin1961:
While taking my morning walk, the thought had occured to me…Is it possible for a non-Catholic Saint?
I am referring to someone like Ronald Reagan. Why?
Edwin
I can remember the Scottish Cardinal-Archbishop Gray,now deceased,doing an interview on television.The interviewer was suggesting that the number of people being canonized was devaluing Sainthood,that there were non-catholic people who led very saintly lives.The Cardinal agreed and mentioned Nurse Edith Cavell,but reminded the interviewer that Edith Cavell didn’t come within the jurisdiction of the Catholic Church.I have seen a film about her life(1939).Unfortunately,not on video.I saw the film when it was shown on TV.I’m not that old.

Hate to be the killjoy here, but we ought to bear in mind that RR was our first (and only) divorced President and the governor who signed no-fault divorce into law. Having said that, I share the admiration of many in these forums for his courage and leadership, especially in confronting communism. My decision to serve in the USMC was no doubt inspired by the patriotism RR inspired in so many Americans.

Chris

Well, Chris seems to have given the definitive answer on our dear, departed brother, President Reagan.

But the question of non-Catholic saints is still interesting.

The Church has always held that the Old Testament prophets and patriarchs were saints, even though they pre-dated the Church. (CCC 61).

I know the Catholic calendar includes post-schism saints from the Orthodox Church. Saint Seraphim of Sarov died in 1833.

Other than those kinds of examples, the cause for canonization has to be initiated in the diocese or religious order. Part of this process looks at things like sacramental life, fidelity to Catholic teaching, and spirituality. That makes it doubtful for a non-Catholic.

I think the only realistic way would be if the person was a martyr for the Faith. Perhaps someone who gave up their life for another being killed for their Catholicism. Kind of like Saint Maximilian Kolbe in reverse. I’d be willing to bet even that would require Papal intervention.

40.png
arnulf:
But of course a saint is just someone who is in heaven, so we know there must be many non-catholic saints.
I don’t think there are any non-Catholic saints. :eek:

But I do not doubt there are saints who were not members of the visible Catholic Church when they walked the earth… 😉

But I do not doubt there are saints who were not members of the visible Catholic Church when they walked the earth…
Good answer!! If they weren’t before, they’re Catholic now!

40.png
rfk:
I know the Catholic calendar includes post-schism saints from the Orthodox Church. Saint Seraphim of Sarov died in 1833.
Also Saint Sava, founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church is on our calendar in January I think.

Chris

Well theres got to be does the chruch consider any of the old testament fathers to be Saints?

Well, the Monks of Adoration site includes a Litany to OT saints with the following text:

Although we do not often think of praying to Old Testament Saints, there are certainly plenty of them to choose from. The Catechism of the Catholic Church tells us, "The patriarchs, prophets and certain other Old Testament figures have been and always will be honored as saints in all the Church’s liturgical traditions (#61, cf. #58 & #64).

monksofadoration.org/79.html

I did not know and have forgotten about RR signing the no fault divorce bill.
However, if someone simply started to pray to someone in Heaven and was not a Catholic, but a miracle happend, then what is the criteria?

Edwin

Iam pretty sure that only a catholic can be a saint under the catholic chuch but i may be wrong.:confused:

I’m a bit of Catholic weirdo - I have always been fascinated more by flawed people doing saintly acts, like Oscar Schlinder.

I guess there’s a difference between being righteousness and sainthood.

It might have already been done.

Sometimes, groups of martyrs are cannonized as a group, rather than individually. The individuals in the group are not necessarily specified, only the group of which they are a part.

Such was the case, for example, with St. Paul Chong Hsang and Companions, martyrs in Korea. This was also the case with St. Charles Lwanga and Companions, who were missionaries in Africa.

What made the cannonization of St. Charles Lwanga and Companions unique in the history of cannonization is that the martyred group was not made up entirely of Catholics; it included Anglican missionaries traveling with the group.

The cannonization did not distinguish between Catholics and non-Catholics in the group; so presumably, all martyred companions were cannonized. This cannonization is often cited as a new precedent.

If anyone has any other information on the implications of this cannonization, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Apparently, Jews have a custom of declaring people to be “righteous gentiles.” I’m not sure about the particulars, or even if this is the precise term for it. Pius XII recieved the designation after the Second World War.

Perhaps, in addition to cannonization, the Catholic Church should develop something similar; not just for saintly non-Catholics, but for other individuals who might not qualify for cannonization in any event, but who deserve honor and recognition nonetheless.

40.png
rfk:
The Church has always held that the Old Testament prophets and patriarchs were saints, even though they pre-dated the Church. (CCC 61).
That’s because the church predates the church. I think you will find that the church began in Genesis 2:7 :cool:

For instance,
When that day comes, Billy Graham, super evangelist for God, however, not Catholic dies. Since Mr. Graham is now in the full presence of God, then someone starts pray for his intercession. Say a Catholic down here is having trouble with evangelization and started to pray to Mr. Graham, then after a period of time a miracle of some sort occured.
What and how would the Catholic Church proceed?
If a miracle did occur like this, it would certainly perk up the ears of the Protestant denominations!
Maybe God would allow something like this to happen so to bring unity back in the Body of Christ here on earth.
Just a thought…what is your thoughts?

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
prodromos:
That’s because the church predates the church. I think you will find that the church began in Genesis 2:7 :cool:
:amen: I was thinking it but too timid to say it…

I have some antitheticals here…I don’t personally agree that they are saints, but some Christians outside the Roman persuasion do. King Charles I of England, he gets called the Martyr.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Lutheran pastor coined the term religionless Christianity and justified being in the plot to kill Hitler.Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa…

In terms of people who have been canonised already and make little sense to me, I have to include Joan of Arc and most recently the founder of Opus Dei.

People who met him said that the late Bede Griffiths OSB was a saint but that’s another thing I wouldn’t support-neither do I press for anything around England’s cardinal Basil Hume.When does reluctance indicate sanctity ?

I don’t think there are any non-Catholic saints. :eek:

]

Of course there are: Moses, Abraham, Adam and Eve, etc. They were admitted into Heaven when Christ rose and opened the gates, so they are saints. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back