J
JohnOneOne
Guest
Although I must acknowledge the truthfulness of your statement, that “the Hebrew language does not contain vowels,” except for some who are of the opinion that the Gospel of Matthew might have been initially composed in Hebrew, the rest of the “New Testament” was actually written in (Koine) Greek, not Hebrew. And, although the Greek of this period did not have and, therefore, use indefinite articles (a/an), except when sometimes being guided by theological bias, when translating to English, most all Bibles do utilize them, especially when confronted with parallel syntactical constructions; e.g., Mark 6:49; 11:32; John 4:19; 6:70; 8:44a; 8:44b; 9:17; 10:1; 10:13; 10:33; 12:6, that is, when of the same, basic Greek grammatical construction as found within the third clause of John 1:1.I am not a linguist so I will not attempt to school you on the accidents of languages… but as I understand it, the Hebrew language does not contain vowels (“a god” could not be rendered) and suggesting that God existed along side “a god” (a rendering by any other language that would use an article) would mandate that there be more than One God; further, if God existed with a “created” “god” then God could not be Immutable and Eternal; regardless upon the research done, Scriptures are exact: One God revealed in Three Divine Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
Maran atha!
Angel
As for ‘God existing along side Jesus as “a god,” mandating that there be more than One God,’ this is, in fact, verified by Holy Scripture; to wit:
“Jesus answered: Is it not written in your Law: I said, you are gods? So it uses the word ‘gods’ of those people to whom the word of God was addressed - and scripture cannot be set aside. Yet to someone whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world you say, ‘You are blaspheming’ because I said, 'I am Son of God.” - The New Jerusalem Bible (1985), John 10:34, 35 (italics theirs, bold mine).
Interestingly, within both The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Official Catholic Edition, Complete and Unabridged (Image Books Edition, 1956) and Saint Joseph Edition of the Holy Bible (1963), there is this same explanation in footnote to these verses:
“[John] 10, 34ff: Cf Ps[alm] 81 (82), 6. The judges who administered the Law were called gods, because they represented God. If they, merely men, and so often unfaithful to their duties, as in Ps[alm] 81 (82), could enjoy this title, how much more right to it has He who was made holy, i.e., especially set aside for God’s work!” - pp. 211 & 109 (respectively; italics & bold mine).
And, to this, I would whole-heartedly agree; for, on the basis of the fact that God had, indeed, made Jesus “holy,” as one who was “especially set aside for God’s work,” and that “God has made this Jesus…both Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36 - JB), because of this and more, Jesus certainly has “more right to” that title, as a “god” himself, than those earlier judges (ftn “magistrates” - JB) ever had.
Agape, JohnOneOne.