**Here’s your real answer.
**
Let’s translate into modern English:
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
And I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.
Now a quick summary of these passages:
Jesus asks who the public thinks the son of man is, multiple answers are given. When Jesus asks Peter says that Jesus is the son of man. Jesus tells Peter he is blessed since he has been told this by God and not other people.
Jesus responds to Peter by telling Peter he knows who he is, and upon this rock I will build my church.
Now you’re probably going… what!? What’s the rock!? Well, let’s look at some old languages, shall we?
Latin word for rock - Petra
Greek word for rock - Petros
The name Jesus gave to Peter? Cephas, which means stone in Aramic.
The origin of the name Peter? The latin word Petra.
In case you don’t follow, Peter is interchangeable with the word rock.
So… upon Peter I will build my church.
Thank you and good night!
