Is There any Difference between Supporting Woman Privacy Right & Supporting Abortion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter francisca.chapter3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not stating my personal opinion. I’m merely stating the rationale of the Court. I agree with you.
But as Ely pointed out, that wasn’t the rationale of the court (“No such rationalization is attempted by the Court in Roe –and understandably not, for whatever else may be involved, it is not a case about governmental snooping”).
 
Last edited:
No per the Court rationale, they were merely extending the right to privacy from married couples bedrooms to women’s bodies. It’s insane logic but alas that was the logic. He’s wrong.
 
Last edited:
No per the Court rationale, they were merely extending the right to privacy from married couples bedrooms to women’s bodies. It’s insane logic but alas that was the logic.
You’re right so far, and in full agreement with John Hart Ely. But then you say:
He’s wrong.
Huh? Wrong about what? Your complaint seems to be his statement that Roe v. Wade was not a case about government snooping and that was not the rationale by the court… but why? That was sort of his criticism, that they took a right that was specifically asserted on the basis of government snooping and then suddenly applied it to something that didn’t involve it. But the Court didn’t claim that abortion regulation was government snooping, nor did it give the rationale for Griswold… which was part of Ely’s criticism, that the Court lacked the rationale and that the Court “simply announces that the right to privacy “is broad enough to encompass a woman’s decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy.”” and that its notations of the possible detriments that denying someone the ability to get an abortion could cause have “nothing to do with privacy in the Bill of Rights sense or any other the Constitution suggests.”

I don’t know, I feel like you’re misunderstanding what he’s saying, maybe due to only reading the quotes I utilized. Here the link is again if you want to see the full thing in context:
https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5116&context=fss_papers

I really do recommend reading this to everyone, it’s a stellar explanation as to why Roe v. Wade was a bad decision (a few parts are out of date now but most of it holds up quite well).
 
40.png
JSRG:
You’re right so far,
nor did it give the rationale for Griswold
You’ve now contradicted yourself - saying I’m “right” that Roe extended privacy doctrine from Griswold yet Griswold didn’t give a rationale for Roe. Can’t continue an incoherent dialogue
I was saying (as did John Hart Ely) that the Supreme Court extended the privacy doctrine from Griswold, which it was incorrect to do because the rationale for that right of privacy in Griswold (intolerably intrusive data gathering), didn’t apply to Roe.
 
Last edited:
The church need to teach men & women not to engage in unlawful sex.

I do not believe in the attitude of prolife, but to leave woman alone in her problems .
Church Teachings cover ALL with regard to Sinful Sex. .

Still … even some lawfully Married still Opt to Abort their Child!

We loved our children while they were still in the womb!

When unasked to - I wound up in my mother’s womb.

My body was and is my body and not my mother’s.

Once a woman becomes pregnant - there are now 2 bodies which demand responsibility…

First…

It’s never right for, e.g, a mother to willfully murder her child for e.g., purely selfish reasons - such as the common one that she (or someone else) does not want the child for a manifold of reasons…

A child who may squeeze the parent’s money supply - connects with First

A child who may or shall be born with defects - connects with First

A child as the result of rape - connects with First.

The situation of whereby a woman may die as the result of childbirth, while rare - and therefore can never by the reason for any overarching law allowing for Abortion for ANY REASON - still has the situation whereby yes - a mother could still give her life for the life of a child.

Did not Solomon encounter a somewhat similar situation whereby the real mother was willing to give her life for the life of her babe over another woman who claimed the babe was hers?
 
Last edited:
Did not Solomon encounter a somewhat similar situation whereby the real mother was willing to give her life for the life of her babe over another woman who claimed the babe was hers?
Nope. You obviously did not read that bible passage, you tell completely wrong story.
 
40.png
francisca.chapter3:
@francisca.chapter3

Well you are asking a which comes first the chicken or the egg question. Porn is wrong and abortion is wrong. However the greatest evil is abortion because an innocent child loses their life!
It’s no chicken or egg question.

Porn & Promiscuous Culture is the root cause.
 
I think you are right to point out the complexity of the legal issue around abortion. I do not think many on the pro-life side spend much time understanding why abortion is illegal and why it is so entrenched. This is part of the reason why the U.S. will not end abortion. Of course the other side is equally blind, thinking it only as an issue of legislating morality, or of a woman’s choice. Both ideas are very narrow and ignore case law that denies these as absolutes.

While I think you are right that stopping porn would reduce abortion, as would all steps to show women their proper dignity, I think that is even a harder political goal than outlawing abortion. Right now, the only realistic political goals we can that might reduce abortion is to show the value of all live, and reduce the culture of death. But in the end, the battle for abortion will be won or lost outside of elections. It will only gain when first it gains in public opinion. That will only happen when Christians become the salt for the world in our lives, not our words.
 
That will only happen when Christians become the salt for the world in our lives, not our words.
Agree to this. So, to those who are addicted to porn, speak against it, even as you are still addicted. Don’t feel like a hypocrite, because you are doing God’s work when you share your struggles and experience
 
I do not think many on the pro-life side spend much time understanding why abortion is illegal and why it is so entrenched. This is part of the reason why the U.S. will not end abortion.
We definitely do. It is legal and entrenched because people in this country want to be as promiscuous as possible without having to face any real consequences for their actions. Also its not like there isnt alot of money involved. its pretty basic human sinful nature, its not that deep.

Also to say the US will not end abortion because its entrenched in society? I mean every free black person in the country would probably have something to say about that one.
 
Also to say the US will not end abortion because its entrenched in society?
Yes. We are becoming more polarized, not less. It has now been half a century since Roe v. Wade. With Republican majorities, little movement has been made. With conservative courts, abortion legislation has been over-turned. That is why I said it was entrenched. I should have clarified though that I do not believe for one second political solutions will work, though I am not saying they should be abandoned. I simply believe only moral solutions will work. That is, we live as a child of God. Unless enough of us dedicate ourselves to sanctity, society will continue to become more secular and abortion will continue.
 
Did not Solomon encounter a somewhat similar situation whereby the real mother was willing to give her life for the life of her babe over another woman who claimed the babe was hers?
Nope. You obviously did not read that bible passage, you tell completely wrong story.
Wrong. I asked a question. Not TELL “completely wrong story”
 
I think you are right to point out the complexity of the legal issue around abortion. I do not think many on the pro-life side spend much time understanding why abortion is illegal and why it is so entrenched
  1. God’s Law supersedes Man’s arbitrary laws…
  2. All Catholics in Full Communion w/Catholic Teachings are by default, AntiAbortion…
 
Well I just have to disagree. The statistics show that the country is pretty close to 50-50 on pro choice and pro life. Its not as much a settled issue as you seem to believe. Slavery was much much more of a settled issue, and had been around for thousands of years longer before we decided it wasnt morally acceptable and did away with it, and there were also many “anti-slavery” politicians who would never (and in fact did never) vote to abolish slavery. and then all of a sudden they did. I definitely think abortion will be outlawed one day. You cant keep the truth down, and in 100 years society will look back on us in the same way we look back on the confederacy. But thats just my opinion.
 
Well I just have to disagree.
The statistics show that the country is pretty close to 50-50 on pro choice and pro life.
STATS? Like when most of the world believed the world was flat?

Catholicism is not like Democracy - whereby its Teachings proceed from Majority Opinions and Stats.

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for “argument to the people”) is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it, often concisely encapsulated as: “If many believe so, it is so.”

Anything else?

_
 
Last edited:
I believe Pope Paul VI said the contraceptive culture was the root cause. Not in those words but that is what he meant.
 
Buddy what are you talking about?

I was saying that everyone assumes an overwhelming majority of Americans support abortion when really that isn’t the case. I wasn’t making a statement on it’s morality at all you definitely read that into it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top