Is Union with God Possible?

• Thread starter Thread starter CharlesLouis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
cheddarsox:
I know most of what I know from personal experience, and I would encourage people to spend more time persuing a relationship to the devine and less reading about other people’s persuits.

cheddar
Great stuff! That’s precisely the discussion I had with my friend when I told him I was looking for a book that hadn’t been written yet. It is to be a book of my EXPERIENCES, not my thoughts on others’ experiences. And really, for all of their insight, that’s all you’re reading when you read John of the Cross, Teresa, Julian, whoever…just dead words. Inspiring dead words, true, but dead words nonetheless. Once upon a time, I too fell for the trap of reading about others’ experiences more than I was trying to have my own. That’s long since changed. Great post!

Oh, and I’m not really going to write a book. 😉

Mike

40.png
cheddarsox:
I have to say I respectfully disagree with your views on this. It may be what God has revealed to you, but not to all of us.

For humans, it may be “desirable” to think that God behaves in such a way, a human sort of way, denying union with those who reject him, but the divine is not human, and does not act in human ways, according to human understandings.

I cannot pretend to know what will happen “when the fat lady sings” but I know what is truth now, and nothing, not even ourselves, can seperate us from the love of the divine.

respectfully,
cheddar
Dear Cheddar

Thank you for your reply.

I think I am having trouble reconciling that sin causes us to fall from grace until we receive absolution. That’s how I understand Catholic teaching on this and we cannot receive Holy Communion until we have received absolution. How is this not seperation or perhaps a lesser unity. How is the doctrine of free will to be reconciled with a God that forces union upon souls?

I’d really like you to explain this to me Chedder because I don’t understand what you mean that nothing can seperate us from God. Surely we can seperate ourselves form God and God’s Love.:confused:

I understand that God desires union with us and I understand that He is always seeking us and drawing us to Himself, I think what I can’t get out of my head is that if we willfully refuse God we do not live in union with Him, we refuse union with God. Plus in my formation I have been led to understand that contemplation is something we can prepare ourselves for but the union of infused contemplation is pure Gift and God grants it to who He sees fit.

Hope you can help me further in understanding

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Please forgive me but I often see irony and humor where I rather suspect none was intended.

As a contemplative, I found it interesting that you are going to be silent so others can speak their “piece.” I immediately thought of “speaking our peace” which would, in essence, be to shut up.

Therefore if I were to finagle your statement using contemplative ideas in an unfair way, I could misinterpret you as suggesting we all take a quiet spell in silence. Come to think of that, it sounds like a good idea. I think I’ll quit posting for a while and go do a centering prayer.

So you yielded the floor, I made the joke that in so yielding you encouraged others not to take it, then I ruined the whole thing by going ahead and taking the floor anyway.

Gee, I’m so mixed up. Good thing I’m happy, or I’d be a confused wreck. 😃

Alan
[/quote]

Oh Alan, you’re to smart by half 😃 - - And I’m very glad you can be so happy about it all!

This is simply my way of saying that sometimes I think I (as in me, myself and I) suck up to much air on these threads. No “hidden” messages for anyone else (sorry for the poor contemplative pun) :rolleyes:

Sometimes it’s just good for me to sit back and see what everyone else has to say.

Dave.

Rats, I said I’d be quiet but I took your bait – sorry another bad pun.

1. Read the Christian Mystics
  2. Meditate
  3. Try mysticism.
Yes union with God is possible.

40.png
DBT:
Rats, I said I’d be quiet but I took your bait – sorry another bad pun.
If you took the bait knowingly, then I take that personally as a sign of honor to me. My false self ego basks in it and figures it’s just payback for good words, and my true self thanks you for being there as a friend.

Alan

40.png
springbreeze:
I am having trouble reconciling that sin causes us to fall from grace until we receive absolution. That’s how I understand Catholic teaching and we cannot receive Holy Communion until we have received absolution.
Theresa, I cannot explain this in a way that is reconciled to the teachings of the Church. In my experience, the divine is without a doubt heretical.

How is this not seperation or perhaps a lesser unity.
We can choose not to dance, sing and celebrate our union with the divine, not to practice it, live it and revel in it. It is sort of like this, we breathe unconciously all the time. But sometimes we pay attention, take a breath and think “wow, that is great! Feels good, smells good, what a gift!” What changed was our awareness, not the fact that oxygen has been entering our body and CO2 leaving it all the time, only our awareness and appreciation of this fact.

How is the doctrine of free will to be reconciled with a God that forces union upon souls?

**I believe it was Mike who mentioned earlier, that if the divine were to cease union with us for even a moment,we would be anihilated. There is no existence apart from the divine. We are suspended in it.

The idea that God is a being which behaves in human like ways with human like emotions is a metaphore, which hopefully helps people grasp part of the concept of the divine. As all metaphores, it is imperfect. If the divine were a “man” than forcing itself on an unwilling partner would be wrong. But the relationship between the divine and humans is so vastly different that the idea of “forcing” does not really fit.

Does the water “force” itself on the fish? Does gravity "force"itself upon us, debilitating our free will to float? No, those things support, create a foundation upon which the fish, or ourselves can operate. They are the structure, the stage, the support, so is the divine.Within this structure we can move, act, and be.
Surely we can seperate ourselves form God and God’s Love.

Again, the divine is not human, and divine love is not like human love. It is not needy or vulnerable. Because it does not need, there is nothing we can do to harm it or drive it from ourselves. It is. It is, what is.

what I can’t get out of my head is that if we willfully refuse God we do not live in union with Him, we refuse union with God.
**I do not know what will happen in the end. Perhaps the divine will release those who refuse union and they will be anihilated. I simply do not know. But I do believe that during this earthly life, we cannot be seperated from the divine.

Maybe in that sense we are like children and the divine a father. My children try to ignore me and my words to them. Try to go off on their own, but as a parent, I do not stop loving them, following them, and protecting them. But at some point, they will grow up and I will have to set them free. Maybe, after this earthly life the divine frees us, but while we are here, we are kept after whether we like it or not. This is ALL speculation on my part. This has not been revealed to me.

I have an autistic child. It is possible to love something even when it can’t or doesn’t love you back.
Plus I have been led to understand that contemplation is something we can prepare ourselves for but the union of infused contemplation is pure Gift and God grants it to who He sees fit.

**I think this is mostly true. But I also think that people believe that this is a rare gift, or only meant for “special” ones, and I tend to think that is incorrect. We can’t force ourselves to know, we cant force an experience of union, especially when we don’t know what it is like, but I think many have been taught not to expect it, and to be suspect of it when it happens.
The metaphores of the church’s teachings have become solid reality in many people’s minds, and anything that doesn’t “jive” with them becomes terrifying and is immediately assumed to be the work of Satan.

While mystic experience don’t automatically go against Catholic teachings, they demand that we look at the teachings in a diferent light, with a broader understanding.

I think one of the first metaphores that crumbles under such experience, is the idea that the divine thinks, feels and acts with the type of attributes that are common to humans.

About god granting these experiences to whom he sees fit, that is one of those things that doesn’t really apply. That is a human situation and condition, not the reality of the divine. The divine is not a teacher handing out pencils to students who “need” or 'earned" them, it is more complex and more simple than that, all at the same time. The divine is here, all around us. I do not know why some see and others don’t. I do not know if some cannot see, but it doesn’t feel as if the divine is witholding itself. Perhaps people see when they are ready, perhaps that is the free will, the not being forced.
cheddar

Dear Cheddar

Thank you for replying.

The Divine is never a heretic. Christ Jesus laid down the Sacraments of the Church, He is the Sacrament and there are 7 ways of receiving Him in His seven Sacraments. Whatever we perceive or work out by our own understanding must always be tested against what has already been laid down as doctrine. We must not merely trust our experiences, infact we must for the most part distrust ourselves until and if it is found there is confirmation. God does not contradict Himself, He is and was and is to come and is always the same today, yesterday and forever.

‘In Me you live and move and have your being.’ Yes this is true and yes this is a ‘union of origin’ (My poor phrase for this sort of union).If God removed Himself from us entirely we would all be destroyed. But union with God in Love and union of possessing life are two very different things. I don’t for one minute contain or restrict God in my human understanding of Him, but we are to know God and we know what we know of Him because Christ Jesus revealed the Father to us in His own Divine self.

We are given free will, Love is not love unless it is given freely. This is a great gift. Our Blessed Mother Virgin Mary gave her fiat, she had the free will and she chose God’s will ‘be it done unto me according to thy word’. This is not a matter of power, a matter of refusal of God that endows us with a power, this is a matter of choosing rather to Love and in choosing to Love to serve, to serve God and each other. Human love is a reflection of Divine Love. ‘Love one another as I have loved you’. If we are to be Christ-like then this is the transformation of humanity to the Love of Christ Jesus. If human love is so far removed from Divine Love then we have no hope of salvation. If we are to even set out upon the road of seeking union with God first our hearts must be converted to Him and our hearts and lives transformed from our own sinful ways of the self, to the heart of Christ Jesus. The Divine is human, He took human flesh and walked the earth, suffered, died and rose again from the dead, so that we should know humanity as it should be in union with Divinity as well as know God. In Christ Jesus Himself is the union of human and Divinity, this is why He is ‘the way, the truth and the life’ and ‘whatever ever you did for the least of these you did it for Me’. Sin makes us unrecogniseable as human, Christ Jesus was so awfully tortured by our sins and the bearing of our sin that He was unrecogniseable as human.

The truth of it is, is that God does not ever desert us in the mortal frame, but we can and do live lives apart from Him and all He has revealed to us. Thus causing ultimately seperation. No-one can speculate on this nor who will be seperated and so we must remain faithful to what has been revealed and being revealed throughout every generation by the Catholic Church, keeping the Sacraments and by the grace of God growing in virtue. All the amount of meditation is useless if we are not obedient. I would say it is not even meditation as true prayer bears fruit and if we are truly praying we are changed by that prayer by God’s grace, God Willing, changed insofar as to be united to God and each other.

Teresa

Saint Augustine wrote in his “Confessions”:

"O Lord, do I love Thee. Thou didst strike on my heart with Thy word and I loved Thee… But what do I love when I love Thee? Not the beauty of bodies nor the loveliness of seasons, nor the radiance of the light around us, so gladsome to our eyes, nor the sweet melodies of songs of every kind, nor the fragrance of flowers and ointments and spices, nor manna and honey, nor limbs delectable for fleshly embraces. I do not love these things when I love my God. And yet I love a light and a voice and a fragrance and a food and an embrace when I love my God, who is a light, a voice, a fragrance, a food, and an embrace to my inner man… This it is that I love when I love my God…

That same voice speaks indeed to all men, but only they understand it who join that voice, heard from outside, to the truth that is within them. And the truth says to me: “Neither heaven nor earth nor any body is thy God.” Their own nature says the same They see that the substance of a part is less than that of the whole. And now I speak to thee, my soul. Thou art my greater part, since thou quickenest the substance of my body by giving to it life, which no body can give to a body. And thy God is the life of thy life to thee… Late have I loved Thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new! Too late have I loved Thee. And lo, Thou wert inside me and I outside, and I sought for Thee there, and in all my unsightliness I flung myself on those beautiful things which Thou hast made. Thou wert with me and I was not with Thee. Those beauties kept me away from Thee, though if they had not been in Thee, they would not have been at all. Thou didst call and cry to me and break down my deafness. Thou didst flash and shine on me and put my blindness to flight. Thou didst blow fragrance upon me and I drew breath, and now I pant after Thee. I tasted of Thee and now I hunger and thirst for Thee. Thou didst touch me and I am aflame for Thy peace…"

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Cheddar

Thank you for replying.

The Divine is never a heretic. Christ Jesus laid down the Sacraments of the Church, He is the Sacrament and there are 7 ways of receiving Him in His seven Sacraments. Whatever we perceive or work out by our own understanding must always be tested against what has already been laid down as doctrine. We must not merely trust our experiences, infact we must for the most part distrust ourselves until and if it is found there is confirmation.
Herein lies the problem. This is Church teaching, and is not necessarily indicative of the revelations given to a soul that is in union with God. Cheddar is exactly right. In conventional terms, what the Divine chooses to reveal to some souls is undoubtedly heretical, because 99.9% of Catholics/Christians out there think that the catechism in some way describes the fullest expression of God. This simply isn’t true. Frankly, this doesn’t bother the “mystic”, as their proof is in their experience, and is just as valid (to them) as what is written in the Catholic catechism. More so, I’m afraid. Words on paper can’t begin to describe the fullness of God. It must be experienced, not read about. I think this is one of the primary reasons that mystics often do not relate their experiences to the average Joe, for fear that they will be viewed as heretical/crazy/whatever.
40.png
springbreeze:
No-one can speculate on this nor who will be seperated and so we must remain faithful to what has been revealed and being revealed throughout every generation by the Catholic Church, keeping the Sacraments and by the grace of God growing in virtue. All the amount of meditation is useless if we are not obedient. I would say it is not even meditation as true prayer bears fruit and if we are truly praying we are changed by that prayer by God’s grace, God Willing, changed insofar as to be united to God and each other.

Teresa
Again, Church teaching, and God is free to deviate from this as He sees fit. It’s easy to mistake the Church for the end, rather than the means. If, as you say, we must remain faithful to what has been revealed and what is BEING revealed (implying continual revelation) by the Catholic Church, why does it seem so absurd that God can make revelations directly to a single individual? God needs no “middle man”, and frankly, that’s what the Magisterium makes itself out to be, pardon my French. As Cheddar so eloquently put it, the veil is torn. The Magisterium seem to feel that it is their job to put it back up. For the individual that does not fear a personal relationship with God, the veil is irreparably damaged, allowing direct, instantaneous, and continuous contact with God, without having to ask anyone if this is “OK.” I mean no disrespect to the Magisterium, as the job they do is vital to certain spiritual seekers that need that rigor and guidance…that need to be spoon-fed their spirituality, if you will.

Again, I mean no disrespect. I’m just relating things as I see them.

Mike

Dear friend

True Mystics are known for their obedience to the Catholic Church (e.g. St Padre Pio). From Love comes obedience, Jesus was obedient to the Father even until death and obedient to His Mother and St Joseph.

I find this ability to trust the self more than Divine Revelation not an immersion in God but rather an immersion in the self.

If I am spoon-fed my spirituality I am happy to be spoon-fed by the Church of Christ Jesus, I will not be led into error at any time. This is not to say a soul should ignore Divine inspirations within their heart and soul, we should be prepared to cast out our nets into the deep waters of the Holy Spirit but prudence dictates that we should always be ‘gathered under the wing’ of the Catholic Church (the Majesterium I love as it is Christ’s Bride) whilst doing so. Mistrust of the Bride is to mistrust the Bridegroom. That is a conviction deep within my heart and spirit I can never deny.

I respect your spiritualtiy, we are each free to worship as we feel drawn to. Thank you, it’s been very interesting hearing all the different views and relationships with God.

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
True Mystics are known for their obedience to the Catholic Church (e.g. St Padre Pio). From Love comes obedience, Jesus was obedient to the Father even until death and obedient to His Mother and St Joseph.

I find this ability to trust the self more than Divine Revelation not an immersion in God but rather an immersion in the self.
Ok, so I’m not doing a very good job at staying out of the conversation . . . but I gotta agree with Teresa on this one. Like it or not, obedience is a critical key to understanding the nature of a true Catholic mystic.

Focusing on one’s own experience of God in prayer is all well and good but it should always be seen in the light of what the Church teaches. And this is just one of the many reasons why the Church gives us the example and writings of the Saints.

To me, the writings of the Saints aren’t merely “dead” words . . . they’re very much alive. And they were given to us by the Church for the very reason of helping us understand what our prayer is and is not.

Oh, the Mystical Doctors of the Church have so much to say about all of this I hardly know where to begin . . .

Dave.

Yes.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the decision is made by God.

Not by me.

Probably not in this life.

I can reject. But only God can accept.

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Cheddar

I think I am having trouble reconciling that sin causes us to fall from grace until we receive absolution. That’s how I understand Catholic teaching on this and we cannot receive Holy Communion until we have received absolution.

Teresa
I have prayed over this more since I answered this morning, and something came to me. I was unsettled about my earlier answer which implied the divine goes against the teachings of the church, and was contemplating it. This is what came to me, that if you have made a commitment to the church,then you do best to honor your commitment. The teachings of the church are there to lead you to the divine, so it is best to follow them. So it is important for you to recieve absolution and accept grace according to the teachings, before receiving communion.

For those outside the church, they must follow the commitments they are bound to. Again, this is like partners in a marriage. We are bound only to the partner we have committed to. My husband’s employer is committed to him in one way, I am committed to him in another, according to our relationship. I believe this is part of the church’s teachings as well, that people are bound to the divine to the degree, and in the manner that they have received faith.

cheddar

Dear friends

This is the original posters own webpage and I recommend everyone take a look at the beautiful writings there:

In the Wheat : Songs in Your Presence

Beautiful to my mind! Thank you Charles for posting up your website.

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear friends

This is the original posters own webpage and I recommend everyone take a look at the beautiful writings there:

In the Wheat : Songs in Your Presence

Beautiful to my mind! Thank you Charles for posting up your website.

Teresa
Yes, thank you Charles for sharing your work and insight with us. I enjoyed it very much. Surely you didn’t need an answer to your original question from any of us. You already had it.

Mike

Dear Mike

If my memory serves me right, weren’t you looking into the religious life as a Brother or Secular Priest? I seem to remember something along those lines and that you took a retreat to explore this for six months (have you left that retreat early?) . If this is the case why did you post what you did about the Catholic Church, the ‘Majesterium’?

Have you disclosed your views on the Catholic Church to your superiors? If not, I suggest you do.

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
Dear Mike

If my memory serves me right, weren’t you looking into the religious life as a Brother or Secular Priest? I seem to remember something along those lines and that you took a retreat to explore this for six months (have you left that retreat early?) . If this is the case why did you post what you did about the Catholic Church, the ‘Majesterium’?

Have you disclosed your views on the Catholic Church to your superiors? If not, I suggest you do.

Teresa
Teresa,

Thank you for your concern regarding my religious views. I’m honored that you think enough of me to remember me from so few posts so long ago (or did you just go through my post history 😉 ). Yes, I am looking into the religious life. No, I didn’t go on a 6 month retreat, so no, I didn’t leave early. Let me see what else…oh, I have no “superiors” at the moment, save God. I NEVER hide my views from anyone that I interview with, and frankly, you’d be surprised how much more “open” those souls who are called to, and have spent time in, a contemplative vocation can be. You see, when you spend time with God in solitude, I mean REALLY spend time with Him, you come to find out that any preconceived notions you have of Him really pale in comparison to what He truly is. So, if I might offer a suggestion in return for the one you gave me, I’d suggest you try it sometime. Trust me… You’ll do fine if, when you venture out to seek God, you leave the Catechism at home.

Mike

40.png
mhansen:
Teresa,

Thank you for your concern regarding my religious views. I’m honored that you think enough of me to remember me from so few posts so long ago (or did you just go through my post history 😉 ). Yes, I am looking into the religious life. No, I didn’t go on a 6 month retreat, so no, I didn’t leave early. Let me see what else…oh, I have no “superiors” at the moment, save God. I NEVER hide my views from anyone that I interview with, and frankly, you’d be surprised how much more “open” those souls who are called to, and have spent time in, a contemplative vocation can be. You see, when you spend time with God in solitude, I mean REALLY spend time with Him, you come to find out that any preconceived notions you have of Him really pale in comparison to what He truly is. So, if I might offer a suggestion in return for the one you gave me, I’d suggest you try it sometime. Trust me… You’ll do fine if, when you venture out to seek God, you leave the Catechism at home.

Mike
Dear Mike

Thank you for your advice and I did remember you from ages ago because so few express a call to Religious Vocation.

It seems we can’t agree on anything here. I would have liked to have found some common ground, but not once, ever in my formation as a Carmelite or by any Priest have I been told to forget about the Catechism or anything else within the Catholic Church.

It is all to be believed and practised!

Graciously, then, we will have to agree to disagree!

Teresa

40.png
springbreeze:
It seems we can’t agree on anything here. I would have liked to have found some common ground, but not once, ever in my formation as a Carmelite or by any Priest have I been told to forget about the Catechism or anything else within the Catholic Church.
Teresa,

Let me just clarify something here, if I may. You’re taking things out of context and exaggerating some of my statements. In no way am I saying “forget about the Catechism.” If you’ll read one of my posts above (can’t remember which), I clearly state that for some people, having the “rules” written out for them is VITAL. For others, it’s not. I can’t really explain this in a way that will sound logical to you, so I won’t even try. But, I can assure you that if you’re ready to move beyond the black and white pages of the catechism and into the dazzling array of living, breathing color God has prepared for each and every one of us through the gifts of contemplative prayer and union, you can do so. There really is nothing to fear. Either way, you’re not wrong, and I’m not wrong. It’s just different degrees or different aspects of the same experience, I guess.

Mike

Dear Mike

A person is either faithful to the Majesterium or they are not, approving of the Majesterium or critical of it, it cannot be both ways. A person cannot have their cake and eat it.

I cannot believe that for one minute if a person had never known the fullness of truth as revealed by the Catholic Church through Christ Jesus could just come across it by themselves. Every road in spirituality/faith known or unknown is leading to the fullness of Truth and it is all within the Catholic Church, held there and unfolding over the ages by the Power of the Holy Spirit and not because of a human person, but because of the Divine Persons. Anyone who would give credit to themselves for anything immediately does not glorify God.

It is always good to pursue the Divine, but not to the cost of a souls’ faith held secure within the Church.

Your posts put me at a dis-ease. Not out of a challenge to my spirituality but an unrest because a person can become too reliant upon the self in seeking God and not reliant on God in what He has already laid down.

How is a person to take your posts friend? First you are critical of the Church and now you say seek God without seeking revealed Truths, there is much to understand and meditate upon there in those revealed truths!. That suggestion of yours is bothersome to me.

This is the society we live in, the have/possess yesterday without the toil of today.

Personally, increase in obedience goes along way to knowing God. God is obedient and faithful to His Covenant, never forgetting His promises. This generation lacks obedience to anything but the self, to me what you have suggested, for these times, is a dangerous philosophy. Times that are already caught up in the self without any need for a higher authority to which we are obedient and responsible to. The destruction of society by and large is based on the concepts of ideals from within persons without any recourse to or checked against a higher authority. I have no fear of wading out into the deep, so long as it is constantly checked in what is already known.

You made yourself clear in your previous posts what you thought ‘the trouble with the Majesterium’ was. Your further comments only highlight the mistrust of the Bride for the trust of the self.

Contemplation does not deviate from the Majesterium, it is not about disunity, it is about UNITY.

Unity, a communion of mind, heart, body and spirit, a common purpose, unified in Christ Jesus, a commUNITY, obedient and loyal to God, the Church and to each other.

While you say I exaggerate, I say you minimalise the Majesterium, so named because it is what it is.

Prayer is not just a personal journey, it is an age old road trodden well before us, that internal wrestle with God that leads us all to the same place, to God and so within the Church we learn from each other as in th great Saints, obedience to the Church being one of the main perogatives. We see this reflected in the Divine Office where all who pray it make a share in the same prayer and thus, UNITY.

Great care should be taken that in pursuit of God and our own spiritualities we do not become isolated and disunified from the Body of Christ, the Bride, the communion of saints on earth and those in heaven. We are a unified body in Christ Jesus, different unique people, but all the same in that we pursue the same, that is God. Only do we pursue Him because He sought us first in all that has been revealed and still today in His coming into each heart and soul by the same revealed truth, Christ Jesus.

A contemplative Carmelite Brother once claimed the motto ’ Less perfection, more unity.’ Really his motto says it all.

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back