It shouldn't be this hard to be Catholic

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnCarroll
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
mercygate:
What is it like to be Catholic in SCOTLAND? :bigyikes: Land of priest-holes and “Kick the Pope?” I guess it’s better than it used to be because Scotland, like every place else on that side of the water is going totally secular. A friend visited a museum in Scotland last year where an ancient baptismal font was on display and the descriptive label included an explanation of what baptism IS! :crying:
It’s fine thanks very much. On one hand I can see the point of your insinuation that people know little about Chrisitanity here so need to be told, but on the other hand it was in a museum, so visited by non-Christians, who might need an explanation of the object and it’s use. If it was in a Church I could see your point. That would be :eek:

However secularism is a pan western phenomenon and not unique to Scotland or indeed Europe. Having worked in the U.S. for 6months in two states I saw the same problems on your side of the pond I’m afraid…

40.png
JohnCarroll:
Thank you Brenda,
The Lord is always faithful. I think this time of fog is God wanting to make sure my eyes are open as I come into the Catholic Church. I watch EWTN and can hardly wait to be a part of it–then I Go to Church . It may be that I just don’t know anyone there and the loneliness makes it seem worse than it really is.
thank you, JC, you are speaking directly to me on this post, whether you know it or not, since I am in charge of implementing RCIA in my parish. It should not be me, a lay person, but because the Deacon retired, Pastor is busy with work for the Diocese, and I am the DRE it is up to me.

You have hit the nail on the head – you are lonely and it is not supposed to be that way. The whole point of RCIA being structured the way it is, is not ONLY for education, catechesis and formation only, it is primarily about drawing persons into relationship with each other. The process should have enough active, engaged, enthusiastic, faithful parishioners involved to draw the newbie into parish life through social functions, ministry, parish commissions, family focus events etc

It is only when active Catholics demonstrate by their actions, and invitation, that being Church does not end with “Go in peace to love and serve the Lord” but begins there, that RCIA “happens”. In the Eucharist, Christ forms us into His Church, His Body on earth. But we don’t act like it. If we really believed what just happend, we would not be crawling back in our cubby holes we would be running around like crazy people screaming about what just happened, how great it is, and how you should all join us.

There are parishes, often “liberal” in focus and orientation that overdo it on the social aspect, social justice, community building, and fail on adequate catechesis and teaching of doctrine. But I think maybe worse is those parishes so concerned with covering every word of the Catechism and making people pass a test on knowledge, that they forget about the experiential aspect, and the necessity for joining the community through invitation and participation. On one side, they forget that it is Jesus who builds community through the Eucharist, not we who do it through our social committees and coffee hours. On the other side, they forget that conversion is not about head knowledge, there has to be heart knowledge.

The other problem you have pointed out so well is because parishes have so few people involved in the RCIA process, that people who have already experienced initial conversion, like yourself, are shoehorned into a predetermined number of weeks or months of a set curriculum designed to lead someone to conversion. It takes no account of where the individual his in his personal faith journey. Usually it is because those involved in RCIA are not competent to address, understand or discern an individuals spiritual state. For this the pastor MUST be involved in guiding and direction. Sorry for the great length, but JC you have touched a chord, and you are an inspiration, I thank you and pray for you.

Thank you all.
Puzzleannie, What you say is very helpful . You see our classes, because there was so much time until Easter , our classes were taught by a Priest one on one. This was very good in one way (personal attention) but we met no one . If we had taken RCIA with other church members, we might have gained more confidence in the Parish . We would have heard what others were thinking. We may do it anyway or at least join some group in the parish. I really wish Catholics had Sunday School–it is so helpful for knowing ones faith and building friendships.

Dear JC,

Thank you and all for the excellent topic. I will keep you in my prayers. An observation and a suggestion. It sounds as if you know the importance of prayer, daily prayer and reading the daily Mass readings (there are some excellent monthly missals to subscribe to), and your bible, as well as, if you have the money, the full set of Liturgy of the Hours. The Gelineau psalmody needs to be carefully learned, there’s a book with the music you can buy, and once you know it, you can sing the psalms. (Above most of us Catlicks, but a piece of cake for you guys!!)

And on this Rosary Day in the Month of the Rosary, at the Beginning of the Eucharistic Year, on the 26th Anniversary of the Reign of our Dear Holy Father, let alone the Feasts of Ss Hedwig and Margaret Mary, and the BVM on Saturday, AND the day I just went to Confession to a great priest, oh, can you sense the power of the grace and mercy of the Blessed Trinity? This is a signal day.

Someone said, Here on earth, the price of Love is grief and sorrow. JC, you obviously love our dear Lord and His Church, because you are suffering for Her. As was so wisely said, Jesus in the Holy Eucharist, made present within the sacrament, by the words and action of the ordained Priest, is the source and summit of Christ’s Church and our earthly life, and the source of our eternal salvation. I pray that we all persevere in love, and prayer, begging the Holy Spirit every day for that discernment, strength, and wisdom to do the Father’s Will, and to bless our Pope, our Bishops, priests, deacons and religious. God bless,
Dave

40.png
DaveH:
Dear JC,

Thank you and all for the excellent topic. I will keep you in my prayers. An observation and a suggestion. It sounds as if you know the importance of prayer, daily prayer and reading the daily Mass readings (there are some excellent monthly missals to subscribe to), and your bible, as well as, if you have the money, the full set of Liturgy of the Hours. The Gelineau psalmody needs to be carefully learned, there’s a book with the music you can buy, and once you know it, you can sing the psalms. (Above most of us Catlicks, but a piece of cake for you guys!!)

And on this Rosary Day in the Month of the Rosary, at the Beginning of the Eucharistic Year, on the 26th Anniversary of the Reign of our Dear Holy Father, let alone the Feasts of Ss Hedwig and Margaret Mary, and the BVM on Saturday, AND the day I just went to Confession to a great priest, oh, can you sense the power of the grace and mercy of the Blessed Trinity? This is a signal day.

Someone said, Here on earth, the price of Love is grief and sorrow. JC, you obviously love our dear Lord and His Church, because you are suffering for Her. As was so wisely said, Jesus in the Holy Eucharist, made present within the sacrament, by the words and action of the ordained Priest, is the source and summit of Christ’s Church and our earthly life, and the source of our eternal salvation. I pray that we all persevere in love, and prayer, begging the Holy Spirit every day for that discernment, strength, and wisdom to do the Father’s Will, and to bless our Pope, our Bishops, priests, deacons and religious. God bless,
Dave
Dear Dave
It is good to hear a catholic who is so in love with the Church. Yes, may God bless Our Holy Father. Blessed be God, Father Son, and Holy Spirit.

O GOD, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, our only Saviour, the Prince of Peace; Give us grace seriously to lay to heart the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions. Take away all hatred and prejudice, and whatsoever else may hinder us from Godly, union and concord: that as there is but one Body and one Spirit, and one hope of our calling, one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of us all, so we may be all of one heart and of one soul, united in one holy bond of truth and peace, of faith and charity, and may with one mind and one mouth glorify thee; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

And what is a Catlick?

Our Lord never said it would be easy to follow Him!!

I found that when I lived in an area where I could go to daily Mass after work I started meeting many other likeminded Catholics in my home parish. I never felt alone there because there were always people there and they were always involved in serving our parish in a variety of ways. Most parishes have many opportunities for folks to get involved and meet each other–you could volunteer to a server at Mass, or get involved with St Vincent de Paul, etc. Or since you are concerned about the music, check out the music groups!

And I agree completely with all the other posters who remind us of the Eucharist–that is the most important part of Mass! and should be the center of our lives as Catholics. If I go to Mass with an open and welcoming heart, I will receive much Love. Then the music or the behavior of others has very little effect on my relationship with Christ.

I have been to just about every kind of Mass there is and Our Lord is present in every single one of them! Any discomfort I may feel on any given day is pretty silly when I compare it to the Passion of Our Lord…

Our Lord Jesus is enough. Don’t sweat the small stuff!!

JC and all please pray for me tomorrow in RCIA meeting, trying to meet diverse needs of all attending. You are lucky, JC in a way to have the one-on-one with the priest, something many have missed in the “new” RCIA way of doing things, you have enjoyed a real luxury.

The reason, I suspect, he got involved because in the 30 or so years since this process has been implemented, like all new things, lots of abuses and innovations have crept in, not due to evil intent, but because those involved were 'writing the book" so to speak. People got enthusiastic about one or another aspect of this very ambitious, far-reaching, prophetic view of initiation, and went off on tangents, ignoring some key aspects of the vision.

Your priest probably wants to remedy one major problem that of authentic, thorough catechesis, and feels the hands=on way is the best to do it. I bet he is also training others to help, and will be very good at assuring this is not neglected in the future. He also probably wants to make sure the rites themselves are celebrated properly.

RCIA is not a class, with graduation marked by a sacrament. It is a process, broken into several periods of spiritual growth, with each period marked by certain rites. The rites themselves, as with all rites of the church, are words and actions that accomplish what they say–incorporate the individual into the church by degrees and effect spiritual changes that are necessary parts of the process.

JC, I urge you to stay with the program at your current parish. Relish this time with your priest and what you are learning, and his pastoral care for you. Experience the rites and approach them with eagerness and openness. Believe in what they promise. Learn, during this process, to trust the long wisdom and experience of the Church to guide you, and your pastor to care for your soul. God go with you on this journey.

Meantime, look for anything going on in the parish you can take part in. One of my candidates has joined the building fund committee and contributes amazing, valuable expertise, and his wife helped with VBS. Another candidate is helping with JR Hi CCD, she is a young gal and the 8th graders are in awe of her. One couple helps with hospitality for CCD family days, and are there on hand anytime there is food to be served or a kitchen to clean. Another man’s wife is in RCIA, and he has no intention of joining her, but participates in the Mexico outreach, building houses for the poor.

Look for ways to “invite yourself” into active participation in parish life. Maybe you need to teach your parish some ways that your former church did things, was welcoming, educated adult Christians, lived their faith. You do realize you have as much to bring and offer as we have to give you.

40.png
puzzleannie:
JC and all please pray for me tomorrow in RCIA meeting, trying to meet diverse needs of all attending. You are lucky, JC in a way to have the one-on-one with the priest, something many have missed in the “new” RCIA way of doing things, you have enjoyed a real luxury.

The reason, I suspect, he got involved because in the 30 or so years since this process has been implemented, like all new things, lots of abuses and innovations have crept in, not due to evil intent, but because those involved were 'writing the book" so to speak. People got enthusiastic about one or another aspect of this very ambitious, far-reaching, prophetic view of initiation, and went off on tangents, ignoring some key aspects of the vision.

Your priest probably wants to remedy one major problem that of authentic, thorough catechesis, and feels the hands=on way is the best to do it. I bet he is also training others to help, and will be very good at assuring this is not neglected in the future. He also probably wants to make sure the rites themselves are celebrated properly.

RCIA is not a class, with graduation marked by a sacrament. It is a process, broken into several periods of spiritual growth, with each period marked by certain rites. The rites themselves, as with all rites of the church, are words and actions that accomplish what they say–incorporate the individual into the church by degrees and effect spiritual changes that are necessary parts of the process.

JC, I urge you to stay with the program at your current parish. Relish this time with your priest and what you are learning, and his pastoral care for you. Experience the rites and approach them with eagerness and openness. Believe in what they promise. Learn, during this process, to trust the long wisdom and experience of the Church to guide you, and your pastor to care for your soul. God go with you on this journey.

Meantime, look for anything going on in the parish you can take part in. One of my candidates has joined the building fund committee and contributes amazing, valuable expertise, and his wife helped with VBS. Another candidate is helping with JR Hi CCD, she is a young gal and the 8th graders are in awe of her. One couple helps with hospitality for CCD family days, and are there on hand anytime there is food to be served or a kitchen to clean. Another man’s wife is in RCIA, and he has no intention of joining her, but participates in the Mexico outreach, building houses for the poor.

Look for ways to “invite yourself” into active participation in parish life. Maybe you need to teach your parish some ways that your former church did things, was welcoming, educated adult Christians, lived their faith. You do realize you have as much to bring and offer as we have to give you.
Thank you Annie, that is good advice.

Steve,

May the Lord make His face shine upon you, Steve. You are a person after my own heart. It brings great joy to my heart to know that conservative people are not alone in their beliefs.

This group has already given me hope through this discussion that JohnCarroll started. What a wonderful topic! I didn’t believe that anyone had conservative views anymore, and didn’t want to stand up for truth anymore. I honestly felt that I was a alone, but God’s people will uphold the truth.

Honestly, this problem exist in all Christian religions. Everybody wants to “have it their way” like a McDonald’s ad. I WANT IT CHRIST’S WAY. I want the beauty and the truth. Is it wrong to want both? No, I don’t think so.

The gates of hell will not prevail. Narrow is the road that leads to life, and I want to be on that road. Please Lord, let me be on that road and everyone that keeps your truth.

Thank you all,
In Christ,
Brenda
lefthand36

40.png
JohnCarroll:
Allright, Here is a poser. We can all agree that the Church has her problems. If the purpose of the church is to bring people into relationship with the Lord, and is in various places not doing a very good job of that , are Catholics ever justified in going elsewhere? You will say no , but what if the Gospel in those places has not been preached, the Children are being lost , the Congregation does not have Love one for another?

Or more to the point why should a person (me) leave a place which has better help spritually, and go to a place that is in almost every way worse for his soul?

The Lord says, I am an adult now - it is time to help.
OK, Lord.
Because preaching, fellowship and music are not the point. They are not the ‘source and summit’ of our Faith. That would be, of course, the Eucharist. Why should you leave a place that makes you feel inspired to come to the Catholic Church? Because He is there to feed you body and soul. Even if you don’t feel it.

John, my best advice would be to humbly accept this trial you are going through, and to spend a good deal of time in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Quiet your mind and listen to what Our Lord has to say to you. Wishing you peace of mind and heart. :gopray:

40.png
Mary3:
Because preaching, fellowship and music are not the point. They are not the ‘source and summit’ of our Faith. That would be, of course, the Eucharist. Why should you leave a place that makes you feel inspired to come to the Catholic Church? Because He is there to feed you body and soul. Even if you don’t feel it.

John, my best advice would be to humbly accept this trial you are going through, and to spend a good deal of time in adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Quiet your mind and listen to what Our Lord has to say to you. Wishing you peace of mind and heart. :gopray:
I will take your advice about Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.This must be a beneficial practice.

But I can not completely agree that the point of mass has nothing to do with preaching, fellowship and music. These are the ways that communicate to our senses the importance of the Eucharist and the way our bodies communicate our adoration to the Lord . Imagine with me a mass that does not exist. In this imagined mass we walk in eat the Sacrament and walk out. We would receive the Lord, but would it be enough? Would it be as good for my soul?I don’t think it would. If you agree with me on this point then it only makes sense to make those other parts of Mass as beautiful,and God honoring as possible.

40.png
JohnCarroll:
I will take your advice about Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.This must be a beneficial practice.

But I can not completely agree that the point of mass has nothing to do with preaching, fellowship and music. These are the ways that communicate to our senses the importance of the Eucharist and the way our bodies communicate our adoration to the Lord . Imagine with me a mass that does not exist. In this imagined mass we walk in eat the Sacrament and walk out. We would receive the Lord, but would it be enough? Would it be as good for my soul?I don’t think it would. If you agree with me on this point then it only makes sense to make those other parts of Mass as beautiful,and God honoring as possible.
I hear you, but I don’t completely agree. What you are seeking is something that makes you feel good on a tangible, sensible level, something that incites your imagination about the spiritual mysteries before you.

I’m suggesting that you not depend on your environment for that type of stimulation of your heart, mind and soul. As a partaker of the Eucharist, you are indwelt by Christ Himself, as well as the other two members of the Trinity. I’m asking you to try to allow Them to animate your imagination and understanding of the mysteries of the Mass.

On weekends, I attend my home parish for Mass. All of the sensory elements are present. We have a wonderful priest who preaches fabulous homilies, a beautiful sanctuary, and I have many good friends there. Is the Mass wonderful? Absolutely.

On weekdays, I cannot attend the daily Masses at my parish due to my work schedule. There is a parish on my path to work with a compatible schedule and I frequently attend there. The sanctuary is just plain run-down and moldy. In spite of being a regular communicant for over 5 years, I’ve met hardly anyone. And there is never a homily for daily Mass. I mean NEVER. Yet, this is one of the holiest places I can imagine. The Mass is quick…usually 25 minutes. Yet I often find myself swept away by the readings and the liturgy. I find that I spend much of the Mass with my eyes closed, just resting in the beauty of even the dryest liturgy because He is there and these are His words.

Good luck in your search, John. I pray that you will allow Jesus to transport you beyond what your objective senses tell you. Peace be with you!

40.png
JohnCarroll:

Have you been to one of the daily masses? In our parish, there is little music if at all, sometimes no homily, and all over in half an hour. Nothing distracts from the focus, the passover lamb, the sacrifice.

I sometimes think about some of the well-known Saints, St.Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Francis of Asissi. It seems to me that their lives were bleak in terms of entertainment. What they became was a result of humility and seeking the Lord God rather than waiting to be given their spiritual nourishment. What is common amongst them is their sense of their own unworthiness not their sense of lack of fellowship. And yet, they were each one very lonely in some ways, so intensely focussed on Jesus they became detached to a certain extent from those around. I get the sense from reading from St. Theresa and St. John of a great aching to be with Jesus Christ, much like the Church itself is waiting in painful longing for His return. There is nothing else that really matters.

John Carroll, maybe that is some of what you are feeling, and there is really nobody that can help you. There is no place you can go that will fill you up and check the oil, so to speak. The Eucharist is Christ. That you can focus on, regardless of the rest of the liturgy. Perhaps God is asking you to come to Him in a deeper way that transcends all the rest of what goes on around, that transcends the people around you. Perhaps he is preparing you for a special mission, sainthood even. Don’t laugh. Anything is possible.

I came from a protestant background, went my own way, and wasted 40 yrs of God’s time before I fell on my knees and said “Lord have Mercy.” Sometimes I look around at mass and wonder if anyone is feeling what I feel, seeing the Lord Jesus there in the bread and wine. I sometimes wonder if any of the “cradle Catholics” around me really know what it is that they have by birth-right, so to speak, while I am so deeply moved to just be there and be allowed to take part. But then I thank God, and ask His forgiveness, because I have no idea what goes on in their hearts, and realize that perhaps each and every one of them has some special burden and cross that God has given them that they have faithfully carried for years, and they are truly the people of God, as deeply in love with Jesus as I. Just the fact that they have been faithful for all those years is more than I can say.

I’m having difficulty here trying to put into words what is in my heart. This is no criticism, I understand exactly what you are saying. But maybe, what you are seeking is not what you really need. The frustration may be there just to drive you to approach God in passionate prayer, for hours on end, until He gives you a peace in humility and surrender that you never thought possible.

And then, it may be time to give to the Church rather than receive.

Does any of this ramble make sense?

Les Richardson:
Have you been to one of the daily masses? In our parish, there is little music if at all, sometimes no homily, and all over in half an hour. Nothing distracts from the focus, the passover lamb, the sacrifice.

I sometimes think about some of the well-known Saints, St.Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Francis of Asissi. It seems to me that their lives were bleak in terms of entertainment. What they became was a result of humility and seeking the Lord God rather than waiting to be given their spiritual nourishment. What is common amongst them is their sense of their own unworthiness not their sense of lack of fellowship. And yet, they were each one very lonely in some ways, so intensely focussed on Jesus they became detached to a certain extent from those around. I get the sense from reading from St. Theresa and St. John of a great aching to be with Jesus Christ, much like the Church itself is waiting in painful longing for His return. There is nothing else that really matters.

John Carroll, maybe that is some of what you are feeling, and there is really nobody that can help you. There is no place you can go that will fill you up and check the oil, so to speak. The Eucharist is Christ. That you can focus on, regardless of the rest of the liturgy. Perhaps God is asking you to come to Him in a deeper way that transcends all the rest of what goes on around, that transcends the people around you. Perhaps he is preparing you for a special mission, sainthood even. Don’t laugh. Anything is possible.

I came from a protestant background, went my own way, and wasted 40 yrs of God’s time before I fell on my knees and said “Lord have Mercy.” Sometimes I look around at mass and wonder if anyone is feeling what I feel, seeing the Lord Jesus there in the bread and wine. I sometimes wonder if any of the “cradle Catholics” around me really know what it is that they have by birth-right, so to speak, while I am so deeply moved to just be there and be allowed to take part. But then I thank God, and ask His forgiveness, because I have no idea what goes on in their hearts, and realize that perhaps each and every one of them has some special burden and cross that God has given them that they have faithfully carried for years, and they are truly the people of God, as deeply in love with Jesus as I. Just the fact that they have been faithful for all those years is more than I can say.

I’m having difficulty here trying to put into words what is in my heart. This is no criticism, I understand exactly what you are saying. But maybe, what you are seeking is not what you really need. The frustration may be there just to drive you to approach God in passionate prayer, for hours on end, until He gives you a peace in humility and surrender that you never thought possible.

And then, it may be time to give to the Church rather than receive.

Does any of this ramble make sense?
Thank you Les
You may be right. Sometimes God’s will is that we go through trials-----usually it is Gods will we go through trials-------OK, once there was a time when it didn’t seem as though it was God’s will I go through a trial. My beef isn’t with that. Rather it is that unless we do something about it , it won’t change, and Catholic churches are going to be lonely, ugly places forever.

40.png
JohnCarroll:
Thank you Les
You may be right. Sometimes God’s will is that we go through trials-----usually it is Gods will we go through trials-------OK, once there was a time when it didn’t seem as though it was God’s will I go through a trial. My beef isn’t with that. Rather it is that unless we do something about it , it won’t change, and Catholic churches are going to be lonely, ugly places forever.
I’m a convert of 37 years, and I sort of know how you are feeling, though I came from an Anglican background where, liturgically, it was wonderfully reverent, awe-inspiring and correct in every way. BUT the parishioners were social-climbers, and my family didn’t quite belong. As a young teenager, I was ultimately totally disillusioned with this, and dismissed all of Christianity as hypocrisy.
I’ve been in so many Catholic parishes down the years, and although there are people there who don’t perhaps have the appreciation of the faith, or of the Mass I feel they should have, (and who am I to judge - have I always been 100% fervent and appreciative?) there’s not one parish that was lonely or ugly.
There’s always been that complete cross-section of society that I take to be a mark of the true Church (so in contrast to the Anglican parish I grew up in), and I’ve always found my fellow parishioners warm and friendly, but reverent when they should be.
In my country I suppose only practising Catholics go to Mass, so we don’t have a problem with people chatting in Church, chewing, going out early, etc. Out in the church foyer there is plenty of talk and groups standing around enjoying one anothers’ company. Plenty of parish groups to join.
The point I’m making is that the Church is universal. It flourishes in parts of the world and languishes in others; some parishes leave a lot to be desired, others thrive and nourish the people. I find this a cheering thought. There’s room for saints and sinners, and that can’t be said for a whole lot of non-Catholic churches, where you have to have (metaphorically speaking) an entrance ticket declaring you to be of sufficient virtue.

“It is Jesus in fact that you seek when you dream of happiness; He is waiting for you when nothing else satisfies you; He is beauty to which you are so attracted; it is Heƒwho stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives” (John Paul II)

If it’s true of Jesus , it should be true of His Church.

Dear John Carroll,
You really struck a raw nerve with me. I won’t go into my rant at the monumental liturgical abuse, heretical teaching, and pathetic homilies and worship in my area - there are only 4 or 5 kids at Mass on Sunday, but 40 registered want tuition assistance for Catholic school - you already have had a taste of the problems in our Church.

I know this will sound sappy and hoaky - I personally can’t stand sap or hoak, but I don’t know anyother way to tell you what I want to say…
Fr. John Corapi says better to be a good protestant than a bad Catholic. That works until you’ve been Catholic. Then, where can you go once you’ve received the Eucharist?
IFr Benedict Groschel says that, historically, God builds up the “orders” just before hard times hit the Church.The role of those orders was primarily missionary / evangelical / teaching.
The hard times pass and then parish priest numbers increase. Orders are being built up now.
I left a vibrant growing wonderful parish and a real spiritual advisor to come northeast to a dying area. Some days I wish I had an alternative, protestant or Catholic, or even just nothing. There are about five of us who are ridiculously in love with Mother church, but we managed to stumble on to each other. They are family for me, just like you probably sense some family in these posts. I will ask God to show you those people in your area, I will pray for you tonight to find those Catholic siblings. Be on the lookout.

may be imagining this but it seems there are lots of John Carroll experiences sprinkled all around the country. I too share what you;re going through. All over the country, you’ve struck a hamonious chord with folks with a common experience. Maybe there’s a some reason you’re there, we’re all where we are, even if we don’t see it right off.

If you tried to “go back” to where you were before, I would bet it wouldn’t work. You were called home and home you are. Where else shall we go, Lord only You have the Words of Eternal Life.

Watching EWTN helps, especially Frs Casey and Corapi for me. Get some tapes or cd’s to help with inspiration and additional teaching. Scott Hahn and Steve Ray are really good. I’m praying pretty soon you’ll be sharing those tapes . . .
God bless and keep you.

40.png
vineyard1:
Dear John Carroll,
You really struck a raw nerve with me. I won’t go into my rant at the monumental liturgical abuse, heretical teaching, and pathetic homilies and worship in my area - there are only 4 or 5 kids at Mass on Sunday, but 40 registered want tuition assistance for Catholic school - you already have had a taste of the problems in our Church.

I know this will sound sappy and hoaky - I personally can’t stand sap or hoak, but I don’t know anyother way to tell you what I want to say…
Fr. John Corapi says better to be a good protestant than a bad Catholic. That works until you’ve been Catholic. Then, where can you go once you’ve received the Eucharist?
IFr Benedict Groschel says that, historically, God builds up the “orders” just before hard times hit the Church.The role of those orders was primarily missionary / evangelical / teaching.
The hard times pass and then parish priest numbers increase. Orders are being built up now.
I left a vibrant growing wonderful parish and a real spiritual advisor to come northeast to a dying area. Some days I wish I had an alternative, protestant or Catholic, or even just nothing. There are about five of us who are ridiculously in love with Mother church, but we managed to stumble on to each other. They are family for me, just like you probably sense some family in these posts. I will ask God to show you those people in your area, I will pray for you tonight to find those Catholic siblings. Be on the lookout.

may be imagining this but it seems there are lots of John Carroll experiences sprinkled all around the country. I too share what you;re going through. All over the country, you’ve struck a hamonious chord with folks with a common experience. Maybe there’s a some reason you’re there, we’re all where we are, even if we don’t see it right off.

If you tried to “go back” to where you were before, I would bet it wouldn’t work. You were called home and home you are. Where else shall we go, Lord only You have the Words of Eternal Life.

Watching EWTN helps, especially Frs Casey and Corapi for me. Get some tapes or cd’s to help with inspiration and additional teaching. Scott Hahn and Steve Ray are really good. I’m praying pretty soon you’ll be sharing those tapes . . .
God bless and keep you.
Dear Vineyard
Thank you for your post. I hope I am not discouraging anyone. Many are discouraged enough without me making it worse. Your answer of finding a few like minded people, and help look out for each other is the best way to start. Like you, it is really EWTN that keeps me going. Thanks for praying fo me. I need it.
Thanks

Dear friend

‘It shouldn’t be this hard to be Catholic…’ It should, it always will be and will never cease to be. When we follow our Lord we lift His cross with Him and walk with Him the road to calvary, our faith is tested in fire and at the end is gold. This is hard for you, but your faith will be tested in fire and your heart will be made into gold. I would be worried if anyone said…‘hey isn’t it easy to be Catholic’…if it is then there is something wrong…the path is narrow, the road is long, but the reward is HUGE!!

You remain in my prayers

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I relate so much to you, John Carroll, that it almost seems scary. I grew up in the Baptist Church, singing in the Church, going to different Churches in my area and abroad to minister in music. Later on in my teenage years some friends of mine and I formed a Christian rock band and played for different youth groups at different youth functions. Now I’m 25years old, married, have 2 small children and struggling a little bit spiritually.

What’s funny is my husband was raised Catholic, broke away from the Catholic faith, met me, and started attending a Baptist Church with me. We had some friends who were studying the Catholic faith and encouraged my husband and I to do the same. Through our studies and research together over the course of about a year, my husband learned more about the Catholic faith then he had learned in his entire life before.

I know that the Catholic faith is right and true, and there is absolutely no way that I can comfortably sit under a Baptist preacher ever again (I know because I’ve tried when my devout Baptist parents have invited me to go to Church with them). Nothing compares to the beauty of the Catholic Mass. It sheds a whole new light on the meaning of worship.

I definitely relate

🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back