Jane Fonda regrets her visit to a North Vietnamese gun site in 1972

• Thread starter Thread starter Lance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lance

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Jane Fonda regrets her visit to a North Vietnamese gun site in 1972, the actress and fitness guru said in an interview with CBS television show “60 Minutes” to be aired on Sunday.

The actress defended her trip to Vietnam in 1972, which won her the nickname “Hanoi Jane.” But she said her visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site used to shoot down U.S. pilots was a “betrayal” of the U.S. military

I say to bad she is sorry, its a little late. I wonder why she is doing this, does she have a movie coming out or something?

She probably sees things differently now; I believe she’s well into her sixties. I know I mellowed with age. I was one of those “dirty hippies” (literally dirty!) dancing at the D.C. Washington Monument in 1967 and partying with the draft card burning bunch.
That was almost 40 years ago and I look back at that girl with bemusement. Was that really me? I know it was but a far, far different me.

Jane Fonda is going to have to say much more than this to convince me she is not just preparing to run for office.

This isn’t really news. She apologized for this stuff years ago.

The reason you’re hearing more about her lately is that she has some book or movie or something coming out, so I think she’s on a promotional tour.

Either she has a book coming out or she has an illness. Either way, I think I don’t care about that anymore. Does she think we care?

I can’t say as I care much either. Yet even we who profess disinterest are here reading a thread about her.

Wow.

“Hate the sin, not the sinner.”

“Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Mt 6:14)

🙂

40.png
awalt:
Wow.

“Hate the sin, not the sinner.”

“Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Mt 6:14)

🙂
Right, we are called to forgive, but not to forget.

While we might forgive what was done that does not mean that there is some sort of cost that the individual must pay for what they did wrong.

Jane Fonda is another human being who perhaps is experiencing true regret and contrition over something from her past. Maybe you all ought to just graciously accept it at face value??? :confused:

40.png
Lance:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Jane Fonda regrets her visit to a North Vietnamese gun site in 1972, the actress and fitness guru said in an interview with CBS television show “60 Minutes” to be aired on Sunday.

The actress defended her trip to Vietnam in 1972, which won her the nickname “Hanoi Jane.” But she said her visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site used to shoot down U.S. pilots was a “betrayal” of the U.S. military

I say to bad she is sorry, its a little late. I wonder why she is doing this, does she have a movie coming out or something?
My husband who served in Nam during the time SHE was there said that there were many soldiers killed because of her actions and she is still hated by the men that were trying to do their duty as ordered by the superiors.
maggiec

You’re right, I guess the lietral translation that was lost is

“For if you forgive men their trespasses (unless you think their sins are very serious), your heavenly Father also will forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Mt 6:14)”

I am saying this as much to myself as to anyone else - I think practicing to forgive when we perceive someone doing something very serious is a hard lesson for us all. I am just trying to practice being more like God wants us to, that’s all. Talking about it in anger reinforces the wrong behavior in me, and I already have enough sins to worry about :o

40.png
maggiec:
My husband who served in Nam during the time SHE was there said that there were many soldiers killed because of her actions
Like what? I too served in Vietnam and didn’t have that impression of her (yeah, I did think she was stupid.)
she is still hated by the men that were trying to do their duty as ordered by the superiors.
That’s their problem. Hatred is a sin, and an especially serious one if they’ve been carrying that hatred for 33 years.

How uncanny - in my Bible reading for today, I was supposed to read Matthew 18. Here is the last paragraph, remember this story?:

23 “Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. 24 When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents; 25 and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. 26 So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, ‘Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.’ 27 And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. 28 But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and seizing him by the throat he said, ‘Pay what you owe.’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you.’ 30 He refused and went and put him in prison till he should pay the debt. 31 When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place. 32 Then his lord summoned him and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; 33 and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?’ 34 And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt. 35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.”

I am not without sin myself–past and present. I certainly will not be casting stones at Jane, and choose to be happy that she has expressed her regret, and also choose to believe in her sincerity. I hope others are merciful to me when I have expressed regret over past stupid actions I’ve committed.

This is what I heard on the news last night.

Jane Fonda is out on a tour for a book she has written that is comming out now.

She does not regret her visit to North Vietnam. She does not regret her visit to the gun site. What she regrets is the pictures taken at the gun site.

So really all she regrets is getting caught.

40.png
ByzCath:
This is what I heard on the news last night.

Jane Fonda is out on a tour for a book she has written that is comming out now.

She does not regret her visit to North Vietnam. She does not regret her visit to the gun site. What she regrets is the pictures taken at the gun site.

So really all she regrets is getting caught.
So many came back from VietNam half men, spit on by their country for what they did, what they were ordered to do and Fonda had much to do with what happened to them. My husband couldn’t get a job, was treated badly after his 1st tour so he re joined the air force and went back again. Many of the men haven’t gotten past what happened to them. My husband still can’t watch anything that has to do with VietNam or with Fonda. He still wakes up in a cold sweat from time to time. Yes, scripture does tell us to forgive, I’m not sure that will ever be possible for him.
maggiec

What rankles is that Fonda never paid any temporal price for her betrayal of her country. She should have gone to jail for what she did. If she had done something like that during WWII she would have been shot.

It’s laudatory and right to forgive her–we all do things we regret, but she never had to make any sort of restitution for her actions, and that concept is also in the NT for awalt and all who think that simple forgiveness means that justice has been satisfied. Temporal justice was never satisfied in Fonda’s case, which is why people are still angry about it.

40.png
Della:
What rankles is that Fonda never paid any temporal price for her betrayal of her country. She should have gone to jail for what she did. If she had done something like that during WWII she would have been shot.

It’s laudatory and right to forgive her–we all do things we regret, but she never had to make any sort of restitution for her actions, and that concept is also in the NT for awalt and all who think that simple forgiveness means that justice has been satisfied. Temporal justice was never satisfied in Fonda’s case, which is why people are still angry about it.
How right you are. I believe if she acturally came out and said that she betrayed our country and our soldiers and said she was sorry it might help, but she’s not sorry, my husband still calls her Red Jane.
maggiec

40.png
Della:

You are absolutely right. What she did amounted to treason “aiding and abetting the enemy.” Her actions were ignored by the judicial system at the time, probably because there was so much anti-war sentiment. There are more than a few stories about “Hanoi Jane” not the least of which was that her actions resulted in further torture of some of our soldiers. In one case I heard she was slipped some notes by soldiers who hoped she would aid them in letting the world know they were being tortured. Instead she turned over the notes to the Viet Cong. She has a lot more to apologize for than a few embarrassing photos.

Had she at least been charged and judged via the court system, I think people would believe justice was served. What seems like a lukewarm apology while simultaneously shilling a new books rings a bit hollow.

Lisa N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back