Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
jco2004:
40.png
Della:
If she had done something like that during WWII she would have been shot.QUOTE]

Vietnam was not WWII, not by a long shot. Joe
No, it was a whole other sensibility and a poorly conducted “police action”. But, that doesn’t excuse Fonda’s words and actions while sitting in an enemy’s gunsite and laughing it up. If she did something like that now in Iraq, I imagine there would be plenty of calls for her to be imprisoned as a traitor. Just because Vietnam was a military and political disaster doesn’t negate her treachery.

What ever name the talking heads choose to call it by, war is war. Men and women lost their lives, and a lot of that blood is on Jane Fonda’s hands. Her “regrets” are so convenitly timed to the release of her new book. Her apologies always seem to be timed to when she need publicity for something, that is why they ring so hollow to those who were hurt by her actions during the war, including my husband.

Linda H.

JPII, pray for us.

Jane has certainly reinvented herself a few times. Wasn’t she a ‘devout’ Christian a few years ago? What happened to that verion of Jane?

At any rate I am curious what would be interesting about her book. I don’t know what is particularly significant about her life.

Lisa N

40.png
WhiteDove:
Jane Fonda is another human being who perhaps is experiencing true regret and contrition over something from her past. Maybe you all ought to just graciously accept it at face value??? :confused:
Yes, however she has an apology with a but interjected. I won’t hold my breath with her. I will accept it at face value, but I won’t spend another minute listening to her discuss this with Barbara Walters.

40.png
Fitz:
Yes, however she has an apology with a but interjected. I won’t hold my breath with her. I will accept it at face value, but I won’t spend another minute listening to her discuss this with Barbara Walters.
BAHAHAHA, have you ever heard Laura Ingraham talk about the “Butt Monkey” ? This animal screams whenever you get the “but” added to an explanation or apology.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
BAHAHAHA, have you ever heard Laura Ingraham talk about the “Butt Monkey” ? This animal screams whenever you get the “but” added to an explanation or apology.

Lisa N
Laura Ingraham is my new favorite talk show host in the morning. When I go to work I can only listen for 15 minutes. On my days off, I go to the gym and listen to Laura. She is the best and she talks about God. I find it very amusing and funny too. I have to admit tht when I wrote my comment I was tempted to talk about her monkey comment!

I know we should all be forgiving but in this case it’s very, very hard to forget. My father was in Vietnam and the Viet Cong shot down his helicopter in 1968 and he was wounded and barely made it back to our side safely. This woman aided the people that wanted to kill him and our soldiers. It’s sick. I saw a bit of her upcoming interview, and frankly I’m not impressed. My father I know does not hate her but he refuses to speak about her, as it is painful for him to discuss anything related to the war.

I hope she is truly sorry for what she did.

40.png
Fitz:
Laura Ingraham is my new favorite talk show host in the morning. When I go to work I can only listen for 15 minutes. On my days off, I go to the gym and listen to Laura. She is the best and she talks about God. I find it very amusing and funny too. I have to admit tht when I wrote my comment I was tempted to talk about her monkey comment!
You can sign up to stream for a couple bucks a month. That’s what I’ve been doing until she moved to a new station where I can listen live. I love Laura

Lisa N

40.png
Celia:
I know we should all be forgiving but in this case it’s very, very hard to forget. My father was in Vietnam and the Viet Cong shot down his helicopter in 1968 and he was wounded and barely made it back to our side safely. This woman aided the people that wanted to kill him and our soldiers. It’s sick. I saw a bit of her upcoming interview, and frankly I’m not impressed. My father I know does not hate her but he refuses to speak about her, as it is painful for him to discuss anything related to the war.

I boycott any of the players in that era that protested and were traitors to our country like her. Your dad and all that served for our country were the real heroes. I will send off an email to that account to the network. I also believed the Swift Boat Veterans during the last election. The fact that they were the ones being berated by some was quite frankly insulting. I can forgive her in my heart, but I don’t need to hear from her anymore. She is a sad part of our history as far as I am concerned.

40.png
Celia:

Forgiving is one thing, forgetting is another.

I was in Viet Nam for a little more than two tours. I was an adviser to Viet Namese Infantry my first tour, and commanded a mechanized rifle company my second tour.

Afterwards, I worked for Colonel Floyd James Thompson, who was a POW for 9 years. Part of my job was to help pull together information about what happened in POW camps. Colonel Jim had his opinion of her – one shared by his fellow POWs.

So, while as a Catholic I must forgive her, I say what a lot of Viet Nam veterans say, “They’re not going to do to this generation what they did to our generation.”

Lisa N:
Her actions were ignored by the judicial system at the time, probably because there was so much anti-war sentiment.
Anti-war sentiment by folks on the left AND the right. After a certain point, no one supported continuation of Johnson’s War. He couldn’t even run for election in 1968 because of opposition to the war. If opposition was only from a small group of leftists, it wouldn’t have deterred him.

vern humphrey:
I say what a lot of Viet Nam veterans say, “They’re not going to do to this generation what they did to our generation.”
Who is the “they”? Are you saying that we cannot oppose a president’s intention to go to war?

Is “Ich diene” the only response thoughtful people can make in the face of a new war?

I believe that one can support a war or oppose it based on one’s conscience. No one has any obligation to simply fall into step with any Administration’s war plans.

Even God does not forgive unless one confesses and promisses to try not to sin again. I don’t see where Jane has said she was sorry and she has not said she would not do the same thing again. My 1st suspicion was right, she has a book coming out.

40.png
Richardols:
Anti-war sentiment by folks on the left AND the right. After a certain point, no one supported continuation of Johnson’s War. He couldn’t even run for election in 1968 because of opposition to the war. If opposition was only from a small group of leftists, it wouldn’t have deterred him.
This is correct; and the American anti-war sentiment and demonstrations were an integral and admitted part of North Vietnamese strategy. They could not have won the war without it. The American anti-war efforts were crucial to compelling the American withdrawal, and the subsequent slaughter of millions of people in southeast asia.

40.png
Richardols:
I am not sure why it was “Johnson’s War” as Kennedy as I understand, was the one who first sent troops and committed the US involvement.

Unfortunately much of the anti-war sentiment was driven by outside forces and Fonda played right into their hands. She like many believed our troops were killing babies and that the Viet Cong were simple farmers who only wanted to get back to tending their crops once the foreign devils left. We realized too late that we fell into their trap. What happened to former American supporters after we left is a disgrace. I work with a three tour Vietnam vet who married a Vietnamese woman. She still had family in Vietnam and they were all subject to horrible atrocities. Many people died. Remember the “boat people” those so desperate to escape they’d risk drowning to get out. I worked with a former ‘boat person’ who was a physician. He lost his entire family and would have been killed by the North Vietnamese had he not escaped.

Frankly we have much to be ashamed of with respect to the way we treated our own servicemen as well as the South Vietnamese. People like Jane Fonda legitimized the anti war movement. I don’t know too many who will forget her role.

Lisa N

Lisa N:
I am not sure why it was “Johnson’s War” as Kennedy as I understand, was the one who first sent troops and committed the US involvement.
Kennedy’s focus was on Laos where he believed the war would be fought. And he send none but small teams of advisors there.

It was Johnson’s War because he is the one who expanded our involvement there.

40.png
JimG:
This is correct; and the American anti-war sentiment and demonstrations were an integral and admitted part of North Vietnamese strategy. They could not have won the war without it. The American anti-war efforts were crucial to compelling the American withdrawal, and the subsequent slaughter of millions of people in southeast asia.
You’re right on all counts except “the slaughter of millions.” The numbers were nowhere so high.

It is difficult to think of any other war in which such a weak party prevailed over such a strong opponent by so adroitly exploiting the domestic schisms within the latter. The North Vietnamese were nothing but brilliant in the conduct of their war effort.

To all, do you think that the Vietnam war was good or bad, and why?

Let’s get back on the “forgive or forget” thought a moment.

Did anyone see this weekend the film of Pope John Paul II, in the jail cell with his attempted assassin, praying, hugging, etc.? He acted towards him like many of us would act toward our own son or daughter, it was one of the most unbelieveable films I have ever seen in my life!

I will never again forget that picture when I am judgmental, angry, forthright, etc. about someone else…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back