N
NotWorthy
Guest
Here’s an example of a flaw in the JEPD theory.
Genesis chapter 22:
BTW, I got this from AgapeBibleStudy.Com and their study of The Book of Moses - Genesis.
Genesis chapter 22:
Code:**22:1 *It happened some time later that God ****(Elohim) ****put Abraham to the test. ‘Abraham, Abraham!’ he called. ‘Here I am,’ he replied. *****2*God said, ‘Take your son, your only son, your beloved Isaac, and go to the land of Moriah, where you are to offer him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains which I shall point out to you.’ *****3*Early next morning Abraham saddled his donkey and took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. He chopped wood for the burnt offering and started on his journey to the place which God*** *(Elohim) ****had indicated to him. *****4*On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. *****5*Then Abraham said to his servants, ‘Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I are going over there; we shall worship and then come back to you.’ *****6*Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering, loaded it on Isaac, and carried in his own hands the fire and the knife. Then the two of them set out together. *****7*Isaac spoke to his father Abraham. ‘Father?’ he said. ‘Yes, my son,’ he replied. ‘Look,’ he said, ‘here are the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?’ *****8*Abraham replied, ‘My son, God ****(Elohim) ****himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering.’ And the two of them went on together.***
22:9***When they arrived at the place which God ****(Elohim) *had indicated to him, Abraham built an altar there, and arranged the wood. Then he bound his son and put him on the altar on top of the wood. *****10Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to kill his son. *****11But the angel of Yahweh called to him from heaven. ‘Abraham, Abraham!’ he said. ‘Here I am,’ he replied. **12Do not raise your hand against the boy,’ the angel said. ‘Do not harm him, for now I know you fear God (Elohim). You have not refused me your own (only) beloved son.’ *****13Then looking up, Abraham saw a ram caught by its horns in a bush. Abraham took the ram and offered it as a burnt offering in place of his son. *****14Abraham called this place ‘Yahweh provides’, and hence the saying today: ‘On the mountain Yahweh provides.’ **15The angel of Yahweh called Abraham a second time from heaven. *16‘I swear by my own self, Yahweh declares, that because you have done this, because you have not refused me your (only) own beloved son, **17I will shower blessings on you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars of heaven and the grains of sand on the seashore. Your descendants will gain possession of the gates of their enemies. *****18All nations on earth will bless themselves by your descendants, because you have obeyed my command.’ *****19Abraham went back to his servants, and together they set out for Beersheba, and Abraham settled in Beersheba. *
Here’s what I found regarding this passage:*Literal Hebrew has “only” and not “own” beloved son in verses 12 and 16 (*Interlineal Bible: Hebrew-English, *pages 50-51).
Now, I ask you, is this an “Intermingling”? I’m sorry, but that dog don’t hunt.It is interesting that in the first verse of this passage Scripture returns to identifying God in the plural as the Elohim, the God of the Creation. The plural form “Elohim” will be used five times in this passage (Gen 22:1, 3, 8, 9, 12), while God’s covenant name will be used four times (Gen 22:11, 14, 15, 16). Those who espouse the Document Hypothesis theory suggest that this account is taken from two different oral traditions that are pieced together to form this part of the narrative (the “E” and “Y” elements; see note “a”, New Jerusalem Bible, page 41). However, those who hold that view miss the significant use of these two forms for God: that “Elohim” is only used in the first half of the narrative (and by the angel in verse 12), while the use of God’s covenant name, “Yahweh”, is only found in the narrative after Abraham passed the covenant ordeal. God’s covenant name is used twice to identify the angel as “the angel of Yahweh” (verses 11 and 15) and then two more times: in verse 14 where Abraham named the place Yahweh yireh (“Yahweh will provide”) and finally in verse 16 when the angle of Yahweh called to Abraham a second time from heaven, declaring “I swear by my own self, Yahweh declares…”.
BTW, I got this from AgapeBibleStudy.Com and their study of The Book of Moses - Genesis.