Jesus' Words on the Cross

  • Thread starter Thread starter lemondiesel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
ryan,

I believe Christ was doing quite a few things while on the cross: redeeming, teaching (even while on the cross), preparing his loved ones for his death (giving his mother over to the care of St. John), pointing out how even the righteous do not fare well with men, conquering Satan, etc.

But I do NOT think that Christ was judging anyone. As we all know, Christ even showed humility and charity by asking God to forgive those who crucified and mocked him because, as he said, they did not know what they were doing.
I can’t disagree with the fact that Jesus is showing mercy to his executioners (realizing that they are sinning out of ignorance). But what is the final vindication of the righteous suffer? Only his resurrection and ascension?
 
By his death and subsequent resurrectdion, Christ struck at the heart of Satan by opening the Gates of Heaven that had been closed since Satan deceived our first parents in Eden, and he showed that we all will rise after our bodily death and have a chance to be with the Father.

These, of course, are no small accomplishments. 🙂
 
By his death and subsequent resurrectdion, Christ struck at the heart of Satan by opening the Gates of Heaven that had been closed since Satan deceived our first parents in Eden, and he showed that we all will rise after our bodily death and have a chance to be with the Father.

These, of course, are no small accomplishments. 🙂
Yes, I think this is a very good point. Christ definitely defeats Satan by dying on the Cross. I think you are also alluding to the curtain that separates the people from viewing the altar in the temple being torn in half down the middle. Whatever seperated him from his people before is removed. Isn’t this also why we consider Christ to be the second Adam?

I think this thread has gotten a bit far afield from the original poster’s intent. As I listened to the passion in Luke last Sunday, I was again struck at how Psalm 22 is almost completely in the story. It seemed unmistakable to me that Luke was telling us in no uncertain terms that Jesus fullfilled the prophesy.
 
By his death and subsequent resurrectdion, Christ struck at the heart of Satan by opening the Gates of Heaven that had been closed since Satan deceived our first parents in Eden, and he showed that we all will rise after our bodily death and have a chance to be with the Father.

These, of course, are no small accomplishments. 🙂
I agree. Maybe I’m reading to much into it.

When he was insulted, he returned no insult; when he suffered, he did not threaten; instead, he handed himself over to the one who judges justly. (1 Pet 2:23)
 
Since I can’t find any posting through searching on the following, I hope you’ll forgive my question which doesn’t have anything to this topic.

How high on the cross was Jesus? Most crosses seem to indicate that Jesus was up high from the ground on the cross. How did Joseph of Aramathea (sp?) and Nicodemis take Jesus down from the cross? There really didn’t seemed to be a space for a ladder. How were the nails removed from Jesus’ wrists and feet?

:confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top