L
lemondiesel
Guest
What is the teaching behinds Jesus’ words, “My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?”
Hi.What is the teaching behinds Jesus’ words, “My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me?”
I just read it. It’s very beautiful.Pslams 21.
The psalm is important in the New Testament. Its opening words occur on the lips of the crucified Jesus (Mark 15:34; Matthew 27:46), and several other verses are quoted, or at least alluded to, in the accounts of Jesus’ passion (Matthew 27:35, 43; John 19:24).
Wording from Psalm 22 is used during the Stations of the Cross.
The article was a beautiful exposition of the meaning of Christ’s cry. I was genuinely moved. Thank you.Hi.
It’s a common question on CAF.
On the Cross, in death, Christ found strength to invoke one final part of prophesy in Psalms 22.
Those who were there at Calvary would know exactly what He referred to. Christ was referring to the Hebrew Scriptures which foretold Christ’s coming and Passion.
Rather than explaining more than I am qualified to do, see this American Catholic web article that goes into perfect detail on this passage and the good news that comes from it. Christ wasn’t “losing his faith” or anything like that here–He was actually emphasizing how God *never *leaves our side, ever–unless we choose to leave Him.
In the Douay Rheims It Pslam 21. Sorry for any confussion.I just read it. It’s very beautiful.
I beg your pardon. I’m sorry if it came across judgmental. I meant to say nothing of the kind that your words might be able to be interpreted as. I’ve learned to “read between the lines” and I see that our difference are not all they appear to be.Alan,
I assume you said what you did, tongue-in-cheek . . .
I would never compare to or call Jesus a “prodigal son”.
Remember - God said that he was “well pleased” with Christ.
I think you’re out of line here. I don’t really see that the father in the parable of the prodigal son finds fault with the son. He rejoices in his return. It seems that you are finding fault and being judgmental which is altogether a human reaction and projecting your humanness on to the father in the parable. The father symbolizes God and God does not judge as humans judge nor see as humans see. (See story of the annointing of David). Interestingly enough, you remind me of the good son in the parable. He finds plenty of fault with the brother and complains. His piety is commendable but he is wrong to use it as cause to judge his brother and find fault. We should strive to be more like the father and less like the brother.Alan,
I assume you said what you did, tongue-in-cheek . . .
I would never compare to or call Jesus a “prodigal son”.
Remember - God said that he was “well pleased” with Christ.
That doesn’t bother me. The biggest line forms behind the wide path, not the narrow one.I think you’re out of line here.
you don’t see this as I see it.I don’t really see that the father
Parents love children, whether they squander money or judge their younger brother, or not.finds fault with the son. He rejoices in his return.
Yes, my human (not robotic) reaction comes across to my alleged “beautiful mind” as being judmental or nonhuman, or both.judgmental which is altogether a human reaction
thank you… God bless you too. We are all human and despite our differences, we are made to love each other and can’t help it – even if we have a hard time showing it because the embarrasment causes triggers in the words that catalyze empathy.God bless you brother.