Jim Nabors, TV's Gomer Pyle, Marries Longtime Male Partner

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 7 sorrows is saying that the part of the rumor regarding Nabors and Hudson that is true is that they are both homosexual. I don’t think 7 sorrows is saying the rumor about them being partners has been proven to be true.

Originally Posted by 7 Sorrows forums.catholic-questions.org/images/buttons_khaki/viewpost.gif
i think i remember when i was 11 or 12 years old rumors of jim nabors and rock hudson being romantically linked!!
i was too young then to really understand what the implications were. i guess part of the rumors were true. they were both homosexual men which has now shown to be true.

By that logic Brad Pitt must have slept with Susan Sarandon - after all, he is a heterosexual man and she is a heterosexual woman and they worked together in Thelma and Louise 🤷

Rumours about gay celebrities are no more likely to be true than those about straight celebs.
 
The black and white era episodes of Andy Griffith are his golden era, it seems right about when color episodes came in Don Knotts left, many AG aficionados will claim it then the show lost a lot. Floyd in those early shows was real good too.

Some of the latter day characters were good, Warren, Emmet, Goober, Howard but not like the early shows.
 
The black and white era episodes of Andy Griffith are his golden era, it seems right about when color episodes came in Don Knotts left, many AG aficionados will claim it then the show lost a lot. Floyd in those early shows was real good too.

Some of the latter day characters were good, Warren, Emmet, Goober, Howard but not like the early shows.
Agreed!
 
What is the right term? Hispano-Irish I suppose.
Gael as in Gaelic :shamrock2:

The Irish came from Spain prior to the Milesian invasion (according to the old manuscripts). So, that complicates things even more. 😉
 
ANGLO! ANGLO! As in of English descent! With red hair and a name like McGillicuddy! Sweet Mother Machree!!! :irish1: :nunchuk:
Am I missing something? In fact, 2 famous episodes have Malcolm Merriweather…



At least 2 shows and one of the shows had it where Ernest T. claimed Irish descent I believe and wished to get after Malcolm the Englishman… who rode into town in the first episode he was in on a 3 speed bike and I know he’s a fairly well known British actor, in Battle of Britain too.



I enjoy the shows with James Best: http://home.hiwaay.net/~thefanns/images/lindsey.jpg

And one of the best AG episodes had Buddy Ebsen playing a hobo… among some other ones, in fact, now that i’m here, Jack Nicholson was actually in 2 Andy Griffith episodes as well.



Barbara Eden and others too.
 
http://img3.bdbphotos.com/images/130x130/0/8/08a3tx3kxfrztk8r.jpg

Thanks for mentioning Amos n Andy … not to wander too far from the main topic.
They were politically incorrect for awhile because the concept was put together by two white radio personalities (Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll) who created the voices and characters. (Thus … racist? Making fun of stereotypes?).

The same two guys helped cast the TV show which had an all black (and brilliant) cast.
Being a comedy show … the characters bumbled, schemed, had idiosyncrasies like anyone else. But a sensitive time saw the characters as negative stereotypical and the Amos 'N Andy TV shows were shelved, costing the black cast many a royalty.

Despite one of the white elderly creators calling one of the male cast a “boy” (wince - it was affectionately so … and perhaps more about age than race ) this moment was an important benchmark in TV history and IMO did much to eliminate racism through a familiarity with beloved characters that demystified fears of an unknown people.
Actually Mayberry did that for the South too. And one might bristle at some of the
SAME stereotypes in that show (when it began the Southern accents were quite overblown and played for a laugh … as time went on Mayberry, (though still southern) became more like a ‘typical American suburb’.

youtube.com/watch?v=2FMB8EkrHf8 < intro of TV’s 1st all black cast. It was Amos 'N Andy

I can’t remember ever seeing a white actor in Amos 'N Andy … so maybe Mayberry was the “separate but equal” sitcom white town while the Amos 'N Andy neighborhood was the balancing one. (Kidding here actually).

Actually the brilliant Tim Moore (who played the Kingfish) did a sort of southern “Foghorn Leghorn” type of dialect - though his “home” in the show was New York City.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH99MSHjWxlgY9vM6s_4_MrTCYMRbah6NcRNHQkCVTBSnJo4Fj

youtube.com/watch?v=NQOtTHmwgm8 <28 minutes … enjoy every one. 👍

My favorite episode: Note that amidst the snappy comedy and well written script - here are examples of Blacks owning property, one is a lawyer, another considers buying property, a family discusses its finances and retirement.

The cast is brilliant and the comedy compares favorably with “I Love Lucy” - a program which incidentally introduced a hispanic/anglo couple to America of the 1950s lest we forget.
Gomer Pyle is a lot like the movie Andy Griffith was in,

http://www.classicflix.com/images/notimeforsergeants.jpg

In fact a lot of all that seems to spring from that movie… maybe that was Andy’s original creation but the character Andy played was of course, much like Gomer Pyle.

Also, at least on one occasion, the Andy Griffith and Gomer Pyle USMC plots to shows actually overlapped, of course, it’s pretty easy to figure out which, say the AG where Barney was singing in the choir and what was it?? he has a horrible voice and gets laryngitis and then, they fix it where Jim Nabors sings Barney’s part while Barney lips synchs it and they came up with the same kind of plot with Sgt. Carter in the Gomer Pyle series.
 
Faithful partnership of 38 years. Still wanting to go that last romantic mile in their 80’s. I find it hard to feel anything but a sweet sadness that these two men are finding some bit of happiness.

My marriage is in its 35th year, and I know that what Jim and partner have gone through together was no easy task. Much harder than ours having to keep their love a secret.

I don’t know. It may not be a sacramental marriage by Catholic standards, but what they have shared together was something. Gosh… it was something.
 
Faithful partnership of 38 years. Still wanting to go that last romantic mile in their 80’s. I find it hard to feel anything but a sweet sadness that these two men are finding some bit of happiness.

My marriage is in its 35th year, and I know that what Jim and partner have gone through together was no easy task. Much harder than ours having to keep their love a secret.

I don’t know. It may not be a sacramental marriage by Catholic standards, but what they have shared together was something. Gosh… it was something.
Nabors is 82, the other guy is about 68.
 
Am I missing something? In fact, 2 famous episodes have Malcolm Merriweather…
We were talking about I love Lucy. There is a tendency in this country to refer to all “white” people as Anglos as in Anglo-Saxon.

BTW, those episodes with Ernest T. are really insulting to people of Irish descent. Talk about a negative stereotype held over from the 19th century.
 
We were talking about I love Lucy. There is a tendency in this country to refer to all “white” people as Anglos as in Anglo-Saxon.

BTW, those episodes with Ernest T. are really insulting to people of Irish descent. Talk about a negative stereotype held over from the 19th century.
And in what way? I think they just used it as a ruse to create a confrontation, I’m not even sure if it was Scottish or Irish. I don’t think it was insulting.
 
We were talking about I love Lucy. There is a tendency in this country to refer to all “white” people as Anglos as in Anglo-Saxon.

BTW, those episodes with Ernest T. are really insulting to people of Irish descent. Talk about a negative stereotype held over from the 19th century.
No, I don’t think there was anything negative in it unless one gets real PC, Ernest T. Bass wasn’t a drinker.
The Andy Griffith Show Episode 164: Malcolm at the Crossroads
Originally Aired on Sep 27, 1965. Average User Rating: 3 out of 10 (199 entries).
Bernard Fox makes his third and final appearance as Malcolm Merriweather when he takes the job of crossing guard from Ernest T. Bass, also in his final appearance. E.T. vows revenge and challenges Malcolm to a fight. Knowing Malcolm won’t stand a chance, Goober tries to teach him how to fight. Just when it looks like curtains, Andy tricks Ernest T. by mentioning Malcolm is part Irish, and Ernest T., part Irish himself, takes his new friend to his busom, patching up the whole mess. - zille.com/griffith/epinfo.asp?recno=164
 
We were talking about I love Lucy. There is a tendency in this country to refer to all “white” people as Anglos as in Anglo-Saxon.

BTW, those episodes with Ernest T. are really insulting to people of Irish descent. Talk about a negative stereotype held over from the 19th century.
That’s real insulting to infer all white people are Anglo-Saxons.
 
We were talking about I love Lucy. There is a tendency in this country to refer to all “white” people as Anglos as in Anglo-Saxon.

BTW, those episodes with Ernest T. are really insulting to people of Irish descent. Talk about a negative stereotype held over from the 19th century.
“Episodes”?? I think in one singular episode he called himself Irish, maybe the episode fell but not for all Ernest T. Bass episodes. So you claim episodes, this is outright false.
 
I agree. So, why are people doing it?
One episode Ernest T. claimed Irish heritage, 20 seconds out of a half dozen episodes with Ernest T Bass, you said episodes. Doesn’t add up.
 
“Episodes”?? I think in one singular episode he called himself Irish, maybe the episode fell but not for all Ernest T. Bass episodes. So you claim episodes, this is outright false.
I was referring to that episode. One has to wonder why the writers even chose to make Ernest T. Irish in the first place. A Crazy trouble making buffoon… right out of a Punch political cartoon…

Meet Ernest T’s 19th century cousin…

Btw, since you insist on splitting hairs… one episode… okay.
 
I agree. So, why are people doing it?
People are criticizing Super Bowl commercials for being insulting when they aren’t. Still haven’t heard how Irish people find the character of Ernest T. Bass insulting either.

All I found in websearches was Ernest T. was a hillbilly. Maybe this gave it a negative aura.

Michael Stevic was on “All in the family”. Problems with him by the Polish people ?? Not that I’ve heard.
 
Who cares? People are criticizing Super Bowl commercials for being insulting when they aren’t. Still haven’t heard how Irish people find the character of Ernest T. Bass insulting either.
You honestly don’t care?

Edit: Let’s take this to PM so we don’t further derail the topic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top