This is not true, and if you have an issue with what the New Testament says then I suggest that you take it up with the Holy Spirit and St. Paul since they autheored that verse. That is not scriptural either. Christ did not write a book or even say anywhere that the New Testament would be commissioned by Him. If you can provide scripture to make that case then by all means do, but I don’t believe that you can Brian.
What did Jesus say? “18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock
I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.” (Matthew 16) So this ties in with Paul statement that the pillar and ground of the truth is the church.This is actually off-topic to JM and his alleged Vatican porn collection, which even the secular author of “The Straight Dope” books has refuted. But since his allegation is busted as the myth that it is, we might as well push on until the Mods close this thread. There is already
a good thread on here about priestly celibacy if this thread gets closed we can take it over there, but I think you are dead wrong to say that there is no scriptural basis for celibacy. Look here.
Matthew 19:10-12
"10 His disciples say unto him: If the case of a man with his wife be so, it is not expedient to marry.11 Who said to them: All men take not this word, but they to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother’s womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it. "
Ist Corinthians 7:6-9
“6 But I speak this by indulgence, not by commandment. 7 For I would that all men were even as myself: but every one hath his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that. 8 But I say to the unmarried, and to the widows: It is good for them if they so continue, even as I. 9 But if they do not contain themselves, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to be burnt.”
What’s unscriptural about obeying the very words of Christ and the apostle Paul, from the very Bible that YOU say is the sole source of all we are supposed to believe. There’s nothing out of context about those passages Brian. Why do you attempt to condemns something that Our Lord Himself said was a good thing and done for the kingdom of heaven? Just because others (here I mean non-Catholics) decide they cannot hack the disciplne by no means makes it less commended to us in the Word of God.
So far as an appeal to Sacred Tradition, what difference does that make when all it does is confirm what the Word of God already says? So here we have a double assurance that what we believe is correct. You cannot say that. In fact you cannot even validly assert that yours is a scriptural teaching at all, as I have shown you here.
Here I think you’re the pot calling the kettle black because the scriptures are there and their meaning is clear and yet you have “cherry picked” another passage to (try and) justify why your particular religion chooses to negate a direct teaching of Our Lord. By whose authority do they do that Brian? You can’t say by the Bible’s because it’s very clear that the Bible does not support their position. That being the case, do you not have a case of traditions of men that Our Lord condemned because they negate the Word of God?I can’t tell Brian. It sure looks to me as if the people asserting that are the ones teaching over at your church.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.