Just a rant

  • Thread starter Thread starter lovedance4ever
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to find a place in the bible where Jesus took someone down who had just opened up to Him. While some posters might think they’re being “truthful” by speaking out in a straightforward manner, the truth is that, if such statements do not come from a place of love or compassion, they are more harmful than helpful. While the “truth” can set many a person free, it is Jesus’ truth, not our version of the truth, that lifts a person and breaks their chains of bondage. So, even well meaning attempts to help others, if not motivated by empthy or compassion, are fruitless.

“Venting” is often misunderstood. Sometimes the person in question just wants “free expression” of their feelings without judgment. This is difficult for many people because most feel they have to “fix” the person, but it is in acknowledging and and hearing the person out where real change and transformation can begin to take place.

While I understand this forum is a place of “open dialogue” and communication, I hope we can continue to discuss our diverse issues without the need to “take others” prisoner.

Jesus Rocks
She was plainly invited to discard what she did not find helpful.

As for the general topic of “venting” being misunderstood, go back and read what she wrote. She opened both barrels on essentially the whole human race, including her own mother. Even towards those humans she found admirable, she did not express any gratitude. They were only brought into her “vent” as examples with which to put down someone else. Since when is “venting” carte blanche to spew bile on the whole human race? Who does that ever help? Are you truly arguing that this kind of “venting” is freeing, and not itself a bondage? Since when? Excuse me, but I’m not going to apologize for saying that it isn’t the kind of talk that made me think a long heart-to-heart was going to help much.

If venting is so healing and listening to venting without correction is such a fine form of compassion, explain why there is no sacrament or liturgy or advanced spiritual practice in which we catalog the sins of others? I don’t just mean in Christianity, or even in the West. I mean in any religion at all. Why don’t they sit around and vent and compassionately listen to venting at monasteries–Christian or Buddhist, either one!–where they all want to be saints and filled with compassion, but instead take a vow of silence? Why is it that we call the sacrament healing when all we are allowed to do in it is catalog our own sins only? If Jesus thought so much of compassion being extended to the opening up of the “venter”, it seems odd that he’d set things up that way, don’t you think?

Try to find a place in the Bible where Jesus didn’t tell people the hard truth, even when they did not want to hear it: the rich young man, the man who wanted help getting his inheritance, Peter expressing a wish that Jesus not have to go to Jerusalem and be killed, and even Martha, who was after all only asking for some help with the household chores.

Then when you find that, find somewhere that he listened to someone “vent”, or suggested that his disciples do so for each other. You’ll not find that concept in the whole New Testament. Like hitting a punch bag to “get your aggressions out” it is a modern concept, and not one that’s been shown to work very well, either. It’s like a sugar high. It feels good at the time, but in the long run it is detrimental.
 
Just want to let you know that I know what you feel like. If you ever want to talk, feel free to pm me. Life can definitely be frustrating, but don’t lose hope, try to remember the prayer of Jesus in the garden ‘thy will be done’. (yes, I am well aware, much easier said than done, but it does help). I’ll say some prayers for you. Hope your rant helped you feel better. 🙂
 
I believe I referred to this as a rant. I was venting.

Venting: “A means of escape or release from confinement; an outlet: to give vent to one’s anger.”

In other words, I was releasing emotion that is otherwise kept hidden. Ask anyone who knows me, and they will tell you that I am happy person.

This was a post by someone who is in a great deal of emotional pain, and to respond by stating that you would be afraid to have coffee with me does not help. Actually, my feelings do not manifest themselves in my physical appearance, making me look like an intimidating person; they manifest themselves as bitten-down fingernails, a fibromyalgia flare-up, and many tears, if you want to know.

I do not know why I even bothered asking for help on here. How is being judged this way any different from attending my church?
It’s good to vent sometimes… I totally get that. :hug1:
Your last sentence here was a little confusing, though… ARE you asking for help? Or just venting?
I am not judging you at all… I understand feeling lonely and unloved when I was young and in college. I have been able to move on from that place - now as a busy working mom it’s quite different… so I offer you the hope of knowing that things never stay the same. Life does move on and things will change - a LOT!
If you’re interested in some ideas on how to make that happen faster… consider a twist on Kennedy’s famous line… “Ask not what your friends can do for you - Ask what YOU can do for your friends!”… GO VOLUNTEER!! Go get ACTIVE in some SERVICE COMMUNITY! Contact your parish - they’ll put you to work. Friendships will naturally arise… you’ll have something to talk about over coffee… you’ll have stories to laugh and cry about together. You have to do this yourself, though… and I know that’s the hardest part. You’ll be in my prayers. Be at peace.
 
Internet Forum: A Web site that provides an online exchange of information between people about a particular topic. It provides a venue for questions and answers and may be monitored to keep the content appropriate. Also called a “discussion board” or “discussion group”…

IOW, if you want to vent to the world without giving an opportunity for any responses to be posted that you don’t like, you’re going to have to indulge yourself with a blog of your own.

Is that really what you want?

You’re lying about your emotional state to everyone you know so that when they treat you like garbage you let them go on thinking you’re happy as a clam about it, and that makes you…what? Don’t let me judge you. You tell me. Is that honest? Is that treating yourself the way you’d treat anyone else? Would you let someone you love treat herself that way? Are these mind-readers who are bullying you?

The person telling me that you are a happy person who counts to me is you, not anyone who “knows” you…and do not be so sure that you’ve mowed down your fingernails to the nib without anyone noticing that you’re not the happiest person in the world. The rest of us are not necessarily as stupid as you think.

The truth is, you don’t think anyone knows you or that anyone likes you, and if that isn’t the truth, then you are not venting, you are making up lies right and left in order to throw yourself a big self-pity party and inviting everyone else to watch but not to touch the cake. If that satisfies you, then start your own blog and vent away, rant away, and beat your breast over how judged you are, but don’t expect anything to change.

If you are telling the truth about wanting things to change, though, the change needs to come from you. If you don’t want to do that, then no, things aren’t going to change, whether you vent or not. That would be a shame.

Get the whole world to understand precisely how miserable you are and what will you be? Still Miserable!! Quit defending the status quo that has you miserable. Dare to believe that you can be happy and dare to believe your own sense that it will not drop in your lap and that you don’t know what change to make. You need help, but you can do this, and in the end it will be you that accomplishes it. Do it!! Really!! Do it!!

Go see a counsellor and be willing to believe what the counsellor tells you. You might be depressed, you might be carrying around some false beliefs about what people around you are thinking, you might be any number of things. Get help, and keep at it. Your life can be better than this, but you have to take courage and you have to dare to go for it.

Otherwise, well, go ahead and vent. Just please don’t do a bait-and-switch by posting something like you did on a family life discussion forum.
I am sorry, I must have mistakingly took this forum as a place where you could receive compassion and prayers from your fellow Catholics. I thought it was the only place where I would not be judged, but I guess not.

You have no right to make such assumptions about my life. I am “lying about my emotional state,” by pretending to be happy when around others? I did not know that I was supposed to go around wearing my heart on my sleeve. I keep my feelings to myself, because I do not want to always seem so miserable when around others. That is why I needed to vent on here.

I bet you don’t know that our garage has a bullet hole in the window, because bullies from my past still target me? I bet you don’t know that one of my so-called friends tried to drown me in my own pool? I bet you don’t know that I have been mocked out in front of my class for being Catholic, as well as stalked at school? So until you know every detail of my life, you have absolutely no right at all to say such things to me.
 
I’m trying to find a place in the bible where Jesus took someone down who had just opened up to Him. While some posters might think they’re being “truthful” by speaking out in a straightforward manner, the truth is that, if such statements do not come from a place of love or compassion, they are more harmful than helpful. While the “truth” can set many a person free, it is Jesus’ truth, not our version of the truth, that lifts a person and breaks their chains of bondage. So, even well meaning attempts to help others, if not motivated by empthy or compassion, are fruitless.

“Venting” is often misunderstood. Sometimes the person in question just wants “free expression” of their feelings without judgment. This is difficult for many people because most feel they have to “fix” the person, but it is in acknowledging and and hearing the person out where real change and transformation can begin to take place.

While I understand this forum is a place of “open dialogue” and communication, I hope we can continue to discuss our diverse issues without the need to “take others” prisoner.

Jesus Rocks
To Peter: Get behind me, Satan.
 
I am sorry, I must have mistakingly took this forum as a place where you could receive compassion and prayers from your fellow Catholics. I thought it was the only place where I would not be judged, but I guess not.

You have no right to make such assumptions about my life. I am “lying about my emotional state,” by pretending to be happy when around others? I did not know that I was supposed to go around wearing my heart on my sleeve. I keep my feelings to myself, because I do not want to always seem so miserable when around others. That is why I needed to vent on here.

I bet you don’t know that our garage has a bullet hole in the window, because bullies from my past still target me? I bet you don’t know that one of my so-called friends tried to drown me in my own pool? I bet you don’t know that I have been mocked out in front of my class for being Catholic, as well as stalked at school? So until you know every detail of my life, you have absolutely no right at all to say such things to me.
Yeah, even here some people are very judgemental, but clearly not everyone…also I hope you notified the police about those awful things (the ones I bolded.) I had no clue it was that bad…If I were you, I would move out of state and transfer to a different school if it was at all possible.
 
40.png
Cryptic1:
I’m trying to find a place in the bible where Jesus took someone down who had just opened up to Him.
40.png
joshvanrad:
To Peter: Get behind me, Satan.
lol :yup:
 
I am sorry, I must have mistakingly took this forum as a place where you could receive compassion and prayers from your fellow Catholics. I thought it was the only place where I would not be judged, but I guess not.

You have no right to make such assumptions about my life. I am “lying about my emotional state,” by pretending to be happy when around others? I did not know that I was supposed to go around wearing my heart on my sleeve. I keep my feelings to myself, because I do not want to always seem so miserable when around others. That is why I needed to vent on here.

I bet you don’t know that our garage has a bullet hole in the window, because bullies from my past still target me? I bet you don’t know that one of my so-called friends tried to drown me in my own pool? I bet you don’t know that I have been mocked out in front of my class for being Catholic, as well as stalked at school? So until you know every detail of my life, you have absolutely no right at all to say such things to me.
Oh no you don’t. Take what I said, or leave it. Don’t vent at the whole world and then come after me with a butcher knife for not getting on your band wagon.

Do you think that pity and compassion are the same thing? Otherwise, why did you go from complaining about your choir at church to complaining about psychopaths? Is this some kind of battle in which you feel a need to prove that you have the worst life in history, so I’ll leave you alone to go have it? Why would I want to do that to you? Exactly why would that be compassionate?

In your “vent”, you’re not just upset about things people do. You were attacking what people are. You are judging everybody from you mother to the entire world at large, and you have the chutzpah to say that anyone who doesn’t sit and clap for your tirade–excuse me, your “vent”–lacks compassion? No, I don’t have to know about the bullets in your garage, because giving all the power to the bullies by using them as an excuse is never going to make you happy…and that is doubly true if any of those bullies are being dredged up from your past.

If you say that everyone who knows you thinks you are a happy person when in fact you are miserable, you’re not just “not wearing your heart on your sleeve.” No, you are putting up one front and then expecting someone ought to be able to read you mind. That is not honest, and if you are not honest about being unhappy, you have no right to turn around and expect anyone to reach out to you in your unhappiness. That is grossly unfair, but more to the point…*it is never going to work! *That is the bottom line here…not that you are right or wrong, but that you are making yourself miserable!!

You have no right to start by tossing off your mother’s efforts to reach out to you as “bull” and then vent about how miserable your life and how no one treats you right and where have all the good people in the world gone…“What is the world coming to? Are good people becoming extinct?” Do you think the lame little “I’m not perfect” as a preface or footnote removes how judgemental you are acting? Note: I am criticizing how you are acting. I don’t know what kind of person you are. I don’t need to and I couldn’t if I wanted to. All I need to do is give feedback on how you are* acting* and suggest that you consider what your motives are. You are the one who judges your own motives and your own interior state. As I said very clearly: Take it and look at it, and if it doesn’t fit, IGNORE IT!

Again, if you just want to put up a Post-It to the world where you can rip into everybody else and put your judgement down on them–not just what they do, but what they are–and then list what a terrible past you’ve had as an excuse for doing it, start your own blog. Lots of people do it, it’s very popular now. No one who is happy ever got that way by doing that, but have at it.

OK, now it is your turn. You go rip into me if you like. It won’t make you happy. Ripping into the bullies is not going to make you happy,either. Ripping the clueless people is not going to make you happy. Making mental lists of how your misery is everyone else’s fault in order to convince yourself that your happiness is entirely out of your hands is never going to make you happy. You’re going to get what you choose, though. You see, you can rip into me all day, and it is not going to take any skin off my nose. Bullies can disappoint you, bullies can make you wary, bullies can hurt you in a lot of ways, but in the end they can only make you unhappy if you let them.

Your life is in your own hands. Make what you will of it. Vaya con Dios. Put it in God’s hands, and things will be different.
 
Okay, I’m a little afraid to respond to this post. Please don’t bite my head off; as someone who has been in your position years ago, this is what worked for me:
  1. Self-pity is one of Satan’s tools he uses to distract us from God’s mission. I still catch myself and have to say “stop focusing inward… focus OUT!”
  2. Force yourself to get out and volunteer with those less fortunate. This accomplishes four things; a) it gets you out of your room and with other people on the weekends, b) you will find more joy in helping others than in attending parties, c) it will offer more perspective, d) others will be helped
  3. Remember the prayer of Saint Francis, especially the part about “grant that I may never seek, so much to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand.”
I have been bullied and alone and had few friends, and there is something offputting about my personality that drives others away which I have yet to identify. I have found two very good friends, and my family is good to me. I have peace about where I am :):)🙂 and I wish you peace and lots of great relationships in the future!
 
BTW, I was 30 before it really did get a whole whole lot better. Like, normal almost. Best get started so it doesn’t take you so long.
Haha, my first thought was: “It will get better but you may have to wait until you’re in your 30’s”. I’d never want to be a teen/20 something again, way too many emotions and so little understanding. Life gets better as you get older (in my experience anyway).
 
LoveDance – I’m sorry you are haing to deal with bullying, it is horrible and no one should have to live with it. Are you living in a dorm? If you are, usually there are different interest groups that you might join to meet new friends. On your campus there must be a service that helps students deal with “issues” - with your experience you might be able to help other students cope with social issues. I’ll be praying that you find new friends and are able to put the sadness of the last years to rest. I taught high school for 33 years and I’ve seen bullying actually ruin lives.
 
I feel like my only purpose in life is to be beat up on by others. “Don’t worry, sweetie, things will get better,” is just bull that your loved ones try to feed you…because it does not get better, it gets worse.
Here’s a solid truth in life: it will get better.

Why? Because you’re in college, stuck with a certain group of people at certain places and times, and with very little money or outside influence.

I cannot tell you how unimaginably better life gets once you have graduated, live on your own, set your own rules, and aren’t constrained to being around a set group of people all the time.

I know you keep hearing this from people, but it’s because it is a true fact. Anyone who tells you that the best years of your life are high school/college is absolutely full of it, because that’s the attitude of someone whose life peaked at 20% of the way in and declined ever afterwards. You have as a college student, quite literally an expected 75% of your life yet to live… so try to realize that that’s a LOT of time for you to change as a person, for others to change, for your life situation to improve (based on your choices).

Simply put, the reason you don’t believe when people tell you this is because you lack their perspective, since you have ONLY ever lived under a constrained environment.
I’m sick of being alone all of the time. On the weekends, I entertain myself by doing homework and wasting time online. No one EVER invites me to do anything, and when I do the inviting, I’m blown off. Why I keep going back for punishment, I’ll never know.
Here’s a secret: you’re not alone. I used to have issues about something similar until I talked to one of the “popular guys” one day after high school. He seemed kind of depressed. When I asked why, he said almost exactly what you said here… that his friends were blowing him off for stupid reasons. Everyone feels alone and dumpy sometimes. The people you think are popular and are so self-confident? They feel the same way you do sometimes.

So here’s the key difference between those who are “popular” and those who aren’t: Popular people choose their friends based on common interests, because popularity is a niche term based on the social conditions you’re currently in. The biggest, baddest jocks in the world are the unpopular ones at a world chess tournament because the niche for popular in the chess tournaments of the world demand “good at chess”. Those who are “unpopular” are those who think of popularity as “everyone likes you”… while those who are popular don’t care if everyone likes them, they only care if they have reached out and made friendships with like-minded individuals who share common interests. So don’t try to please everyone.

This goes part and parcel with the school environment: you’re with a group of people you’re forced to be with, not necessarily a group of self-chosen peers. Sometimes your interests are going to diverge, and that’s the way it is. So what you need to do is to start building a peer group that YOU choose based on common interests. That’s the only way
The worst part of it all is that I can find no comfort at church. I sing in our choir, where I experience quite a bit of bullying. I have wanted to leave our parish and find another one for a while, but my mom presses for me to stay because she likes the music. I’m stuck, alone, and cannot even find comfort in a place where I should feel welcomed and safe.
Something that helped me when I felt very cut off from the church and alone here in the southern US: I contacted the diocese and found a young adults Catholic Ministries group I could join. We went on retreats, had Pub Ministry Tuesdays (we would go to a bar and one person would expound on a subject related to the church), we’d go to mass together, etc, etc. The point is, this group was one that I almost instantly bonded with because we were a group of like-minded individuals: Catholics who wanted to worship more fully and have fun while we did it. Don’t think that just because you are stuck at a particular parish means that your circle of social aquaintences is limited to that very finite number of people. Get out and find people.

Another good way to meet like minded individuals is to take up a social hobby. I swing dance, and I don’t particularly think of myself as popular… but I’ve had people ask me how they can make more friends because of my popularity in the niche market. I tell them the same thing I tell you: I have friends in the swing dancing community because we share common interest in a social hobby. When I invite people to go swing dancing, I know they’re likely to want to come because we SHARE that interest… because I wouldn’t feel burdened to attend a similar event if they invited me to it. So go out and find a social hobby you enjoy participating in!

On that note: I recommend swing dancing as a good social hobby. It’s great exercise, the people who participate are from all walks of life and generally are very non-judgemental people. Just don’t compete for attention, be cool, be relaxed, and gently get to know people.
Why is it that “Christians” aren’t even Christian? Why is it that I have met Sikhs who were compassionate, when all of my so-called Christian “friends” were not?
There are bad Sikhs, just as there are bad Christians. The Sikhs you’ve met are probably the good, practicing Sikhs, who are devout (hence why you knew they were Sikhs). There are also a great many truly wonderful Catholics… but you’re just not finding them.
There. Glad to have gotten that off my chest. Sorry to have wasted a space on here with this post. 🤷
😛 This is not a waste of space. You’re having a legitimate personal issue you felt you needed to discuss, and I only hope that I’ve helped.
 
👍:thumbsup:Aceton - awesome and thoughtful reply. I’m sure LoveDancer will appreciate your heartfelt post, I sure did!
 
1lovedance4ever,

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but listen to EasterJoy and the other people who have posted similar stuff.

I’m a former loner myself and I had a terrible, terrible, terrible time in elementary school. I was most likely an Aspie girl, and it was like wearing a Kick Me sign for quite a few years. Things have been getting better for me socially ever since, but I can readily imagine how a more severely afflicted person might suffer much longer. I strongly recommend you read Tony Attwood’s Complete Guide to Asperger’s and similar books and maybe watch the excellent Temple Grandin bio pic that HBO did a few years back. Temple Grandin has written a number of books dealing with autism–I would suggest her book Emergence, which talks a lot about her childhood struggles.

I’ve also had the additional experience of having a 10-year-old daughter who is very similar to what I was like in elementary school, except more so, which means that I get to relive my whole childhood, but with added perspective. Our daughter was diagnosed as having Asperger’s after a very difficult 1st grade year and has been seeing a child psychologist ever since. She also has gone to social skills groups and we’ve worked very hard with her at home. It’s also been very good for her to go to a small school with small classes. I wish I could have had even half of what we’ve been able to offer her, but that’s water under the bridge. As a younger child, my daughter had a lot of trouble with unfairly assuming hostile intent (because she didn’t have the social insight to see the difference), not being able to compromise, and having a one-track mind that was occupied 100% with her particular interests (I strongly suspect you may have similar issues). If I made a playdate for her, she’d stay playing with a single item while her guest would wander off to play with her little brother. She has grown up so much since those days. She is polite and friendly and compassionate (most of the time), she has good sportsmanship, and I think she’s better than normal, because she’s had to work so hard at it. I may not be right about this, but I feel the same way about myself. I am a better friend, because it doesn’t come naturally to me.

So, I would encourage you to do some reading and see counselors and work harder! Be nice to your mom, too!
 
One of the reasons to work with a counselor is to learn to read people. It’s not true that 100% of the people around you are mean and want to harm you. Undoubtedly, some of them do, but you need help figuring out who are the hostiles, who are the friendlies and who (and this is going to be the biggest number in the college setting) don’t care much about you either way. You’re going to need a lot of help figuring out social cues. There are probably a lot of social Stop signs that you are blowing through without noticing them, and a good psychologist can help you figure out where they are. Doing psychological testing would be a very good place to start. It’s expensive (probably around $600 at least), but well worth it in terms of quality of life.

At this point, after being through so much pain, you probably are unconsciously reacting with a lot of hostility to situations and people that don’t warrant it, and hence perhaps provoking unfriendliness where there wasn’t any to begin with. That’s another thing to work on–giving each new person and situation the benefit of the doubt.
 
…Doing psychological testing would be a very good place to start. It’s expensive (probably around $600 at least), but well worth it in terms of quality of life…
Psychological evaluation and treatment could be free or close to it for someone enrolled in high school or college. This could be the most economical time possible to get this issue looked at. Besides, she’s suffered enough. I don’t doubt one bit how much she is hurting. I’m only afraid that she’ll hurt herself and others very deeply if she self-medicates with emotional venom. That is deadly stuff. 😦
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top