Justification: Three Questions for Protestants

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will some Protestant **PLEEZE **just answer the question? How hard could it be???

What does Jesus teach in the Gospels about how we are saved?

I’m not the suspicious type, but I’m beginning to suspect that:
  1. Protestants don’t know.
  2. Protestants do know, but don’t know what to make of it.
  3. Protestants do know, but don’t like the implications of Jesus’ words.
So much for so-called “Bible Christians”! :rolleyes:
 
I’m not the suspicious type, but I’m beginning to suspect that:
  1. Protestants don’t know.
  2. Protestants do know, but don’t know what to make of it.
  3. Protestants do know, but don’t like the implications of Jesus’ words.
So much for so-called “Bible Christians”! :rolleyes:
$10 on the third horse, please.
 
Will some Protestant **PLEEZE **just answer the question? How hard could it be???

What does Jesus teach in the Gospels about how we are saved?

I’m not the suspicious type, but I’m beginning to suspect that:
  1. Protestants don’t know.
  2. Protestants do know, but don’t know what to make of it.
  3. Protestants do know, but don’t like the implications of Jesus’ words.
So much for so-called “Bible Christians”! :rolleyes:
My favorite protestant retort to quoted scripture is “I tend to lean toward (insert a non-gospel, pauline verse here)”

The ostrich, head in the sand, tactic always works.😛
 
Mark 1:15Mark 1:15 (King James Version)

15And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Oh man. Catholics and protestants are divided over the concept of what it means to “believe” and the meaning of the “gospel”

The above doesn’t help.

I love the old 80s show “The Greatest American Hero.” On that show, the aliens communicated in English by turning on the person’s car radio and turning the dial remotely to different stations. The sentence was built up of words from what was being broadcast on the station they landed on, then switch…another word or phrase.

You could say anything this way. It just occurred to me that you could use the Bible that way. Flip to one verse, connect it to another and another to say anything you want it to.

Just an image…
 
Mark 1:15Mark 1:15 (King James Version)

15And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Is that it?? Surely during the course of three years of ministry and four Gospel accounts Jesus must have said more that this where he directly addresses the criteria for our salvation!!

Try again…I’ll be right here. :whistle:
 
Is that it?? Surely during the course of three years of ministry and four Gospel accounts Jesus must have said more that this that directly addresses the criteria for our salvation!!

Try again…I’ll be right here. :whistle:
What is the answer you are looking for? Do I need to address every scripture that Jesus spoke because Mark 1:15 doesn’t fit into your arguement?
Give me a clue as to what you are trying to prove and I will give scriptures along that vein. Otherwise the question is too broad.
 
You need to give some examples of what you are speaking of - you seem to have some in mind. Otherwise, this is a waste of time it seems. You also cannot place Christ against Paul. This is not wise. ALL the words of scripture are God-breathed. Let us stick to the term “justification” as well.
 
Mark 1:15Mark 1:15 (King James Version)

15And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Why, Misslollipops, I’d almost think you were tweaking ME!

Fortunately, I went to Confession last week, which covers repentance, and have never not believed the gospel, which is why I’m a Catholic.

Christ had a bit more to say on the subject, didn’t he?
 
What is the answer you are looking for? Do I need to address every scripture that Jesus spoke because Mark 1:15 doesn’t fit into your arguement?
Not at all! 🙂 Only the passages where he directly addressed the conditions for our salvation.

Are there really that overwhelming an amount? How about just five passages? That should be easy. In addition to the four Gospels, you can even throw in Acts and the Book of Revelation, where we also hear Jesus directly quoted.
Give me a clue as to what you are trying to prove and I will give scriptures along that vein. Otherwise the question is too broad.
:angel1: I’m not trying to prove anything–only asking for simple information. Usually Protestants are happy to share the Scriptures.:confused:

Anyone? :whistle:
 
Let’s use the simpliest definition for the purposes of this thread:

**What does Jesus say we must do to be saved? **
Salvation is always by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
 
Let’s use the simpliest definition for the purposes of this thread:

**What does Jesus say we must do to be saved? **
One other point or question.

I find that Christians often talk past each other because they different definitions and concepts of saved. So I personally take the Christianese out of this and separate it into two parts
(1) What happens on day 1 when a person first comes to Christ
(2) What happens on day 2-end of life

(2) usually quickly degenerates into eternal security at which point I just back off.

On (1) there really should be no debate. Jesus and Paul both agree. As far as Scripture, John 3 works as well as any of them.
 
Salvation is always by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
Remove the “alones” and you’d have something that is very close to scripture. Leave them in and you have something closely related to your personal interpertation of scripture.
 
Justification means our sins are forgiven.
It happens when we repent and believe in Jesus as Messiah.
Most protestants teach that justification is essentially a declaration of “not guilty” and “righteous” pronounced by God on a sinner because of Christ and His work.
Roman Catholics teach that justification involves an internal process in which a believer is transformed and “made” more and more righteous. The non-settlement of this issue pretty much puts this thread in “limbo”!
 
Salvation is always by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
Let’s not avoid the question by taking this off-track. Except for one feeble attempt, the question has still not been even *remotely *addressed:

**What does Jesus say we must do to be saved? **

For the purposes of this very simple question, SAVED =

**1) Go to heaven
  1. Not go to hell**
Simple enough? 🙂 Good…now:

**What does Jesus say we must do to be saved? **

Five little passages…so little to ask for.

Still waiting…:whistle:
 
40.png
Fidelis:
For the purposes of this very simple question, SAVED =
  1. Go to heaven
  2. Not go to hell
Simple enough? Good…now:

What does Jesus say we must do to be saved?
Believe (Jn 5:24): “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top