Lazarus and the Rich Man

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mickey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Catholic,
Look closely at your references. They are about Purgatory being not corporeal places ( because only the spirit is there and the spirit doesn’t need a place as we know it). I do not deny this.

Your other reference is that we can shorten the stay of others in Purgatory by our prayers and indulgences. I don’t deny this either.

Neither of your references is inconsistent with Purgatory being a state in which the soul does pennance to purify itself for its meeting with God in heaven. In fact the catechism says it is exactly that in paragraph 1475:
1475 In the communion of saints, “a perennial link of charity exists between the faithful who have already reached their heavenly home, **those who are expiating their sins in purgatory **and those who are still pilgrims on earth. between them there is, too, an abundant exchange of all good things.” In this wonderful exchange, the holiness of one profits others, well beyond the harm that the sin of one could cause others.

Thus recourse to the communion of saints lets the contrite sinner be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishments for sin

.

Notice it say," those who are expiating their sins in Purgatory" Expiate means atoning for sins. This is synomous with doing pennance.

Notice it also says that that through the communion of Saints, the sinner can be more promptly and efficaciously purified of the punishment of sins. These punishment for sins are the pennances being done in Purgatory and the communion of Saints they are referencing refers to our prayers and indulgences that can help them purify more promptly.
 
Neither of your references is inconsistent with Purgatory being a state in which the soul does pennance to purify itself for its meeting with God in heaven.
But the soul does not “purify itself”. We are at the mercy of God.
 
you are quibbling.
Oh please.
You said, “Purgatory being a state in which the soul does pennance to purify itself…”

That is far from quibbling. You just said that the soul purifies itself. The soul does nothing on its own!

PS–You are misspelling the word “penance”

Now that is quibbling. 😃
 
Paul,

I found a blog that discusses this subject. The author seems to be in line with what I was taught as a Latin Catholic. He makes this statement. Check out the blog.
“Purgatory, when necessary, finishes the purification process that a person’s Imperfect Penance may not have accomplished. But Purgatory is not Penance.”
globalexclaimer.blogspot.com/
 
Of course. And that understanding is** NOT** telling us that the parable is about purgatory. In fact, the Jewish understanding had nothing to do with purgatory. 😉
Baloney!!! Jews don’t call purgation purgatory. But so what? They believe in the process of purification for everyone who dies before they go to heaven. They believe it lasts for 1 year. Even for the wicked who might go through torment, but even for THEM, torment is temporary, it lasts for 1 year. That’s why Jews pray for one year for the soul after they die. But you ignored the Jewish encyclopedia link I gave that described this process from the Orthodox Jewish understanding, because as you said you weren’t interested.
forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=4766083&postcount=829
 
Jews don’t call purgation purgatory.
Eactly! 👍
They believe in the process of purification for everyone who dies before they go to heaven.
Okay?
That’s why Jews pray for one year for the soul after they die.
The Orthodox Church prays for three days, the fortieth day ,and every year on the day of repose. 👍
But you ignored the link I gave that described this process from the Orthodox Jewish understanding, because as you said you were’t interested.
Exactly! Now you are understanding! I am not interested in your apologetics for purgatory. There is a thread for that.

The parable of Lazarus and rich man is not an apologetic for purgatory…that is the point of this thread! 👍

Pope John Paul II says:"…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

The Pope does not say: [Jesus Christ is referring to the Orthodox Jewish understanding of the parable but I am referring to post Resurrection.]

He says:"…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

And that is also the patristic understanding.

I hope this is clear for you now Steve.
 
Eactly! 👍
Okay?
The Orthodox Church prays for three days, the fortieth day ,and every year on the day of repose. 👍
Exactly! Now you are understanding! I am not interested in your apologetics for purgatory. There is a thread for that.

The parable of Lazarus and rich man is not an apologetic for purgatory…that is the point of this thread! 👍

Pope John Paul II says:"…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

The Pope does not say: [Jesus Christ is referring to the Orthodox Jewish understanding of the parable but I am referring to post Resurrection.]

He says:"…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

And that is also the patristic understanding.

I hope this is clear for you now Steve.

**
Hi Mickey, 👋

File this under For What It Is Worth ~ I agree with you! 👍 Steve said your point of view is Baloney!!! I would use the words of Ft Corapi as a retort “Look, that’s what comes under the theological classification of happy horse manure!”
:rotfl: :rotfl:
God Bless**
 
The parable of Lazarus and rich man is not an apologetic for purgatory…that is the point of this thread! 👍
The problem here is, you’ve lost track of how you opened this thread

forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=4657540&postcount=1
40.png
mickey:
Pope John Paul II says:"…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

The Pope does not say: [Jesus Christ is referring to the Orthodox Jewish understanding of the parable but I am referring to post Resurrection.]

He says:"…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

And that is also the patristic understanding.

I hope this is clear for you now Steve.
JPII used the parable in a short homily. Benedict XVI wrote an encyclical reflecting on the same passage from the Jewish perspective AND from the perspective of hope. [Spe Salvi]

Falling into the netherworld of torments does NOT mean the same to Christians today as it does to the Jew of the 1st century or even the Jew of today They see that as a temporary place of punishment and purification. But their understanding is it lasts for 1 year, even for the wicked. It (torment) is not forever. It’s temporary purification
 
The problem here is, you’ve lost track of how you opened this thread
I opened the thread saying that some RC’s see the parable as a proof for purgatory. After hundreds of posts I have discovered that most do not–you are an exception and you are entitled to your opinion.
JPII used the parable in a short homily.
Correct. And he said: "…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."
Falling into the netherworld of torments does NOT mean the same to Christians today…
It means hell. The rich man was in hell. That is the patristic understanding…which you ignore…and it is the consensus here. But again, you are entitled to your opinion.

I understand that you feel that the parable is an apologetic for purgatory. But not many agree with you. 🤷
 
Paul,

I found a blog that discusses this subject. The author seems to be in line with what I was taught as a Latin Catholic. He makes this statement. Check out the blog.
“Purgatory, when necessary, finishes the purification process that a person’s Imperfect Penance may not have accomplished. But Purgatory is not Penance.”
globalexclaimer.blogspot.com/
Mickey, this was actually very helpful in understanding the terminology being used. Not only did I spell penance improperly, I also seem to be using it in a different context that this author. For him (and maybe for everyone else but me), penance is an activity that helps you to live more in accordance with God’s will. Obviously, once you are dead, you can’t change how you live.

In my (maybe unique) way of thinking about things, penance is a purification of the soul, which of course is what is happening in Purgatory.

Thank you for the insight (and the spelling pointer).
 
I opened the thread saying that some RC’s see the parable as a proof for purgatory.
Rearranged in bullet points, you also asked or made the following comments in your o[ening post
  • It seems that many Roman Catholics have a major misunderstanding about the meaning of this parable.
  • Some people think that it is a proof of purgatory.
  • Others think that the rich man is able to repent** AFTER** he dies.
  • (the Eastern Catholic is in line with the Orthodox).
  • Does the Roman Catholic Church have an official interpretation of this parable?
  • I will post comments from steve B who thinks it is purgatory and that the rich man is showing perfect charity in the after life! :eek:
  • What say the rest of you? I would like to read replies from Catholics, protestants, and Orthodox
    forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost…40&postcount=1
Actually, for my part, just to set the record straight, I was posting what other prominent Catholics think. (links below)
40.png
mickey:
After hundreds of posts I have discovered that most do not–you are an exception and you are entitled to your opinion.
Just to be clear, It is NOT my opinion. I offer the opinion of many who are far more knowledgable than me. I quote Catholic theologians, and those who give answers for EWTN and Catholic Answers.

I gave you Patrick Madrid one of many examples I could give
http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=4722439&postcount=530

But you were condescending which means you REALLY don’t care what Catholics think. Unlike what you asked for in your opening remarks
http://forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=4722459&postcount=533

Scott Hahn, A prominent theologian at Franciscan University also sees it as purgatory
catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0091.html

Scripture Catholic says it’s purgatory
scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html#purgatory-I

contrasting who MIGHT be in hell vs those who aren’t mentioned (like the rich man), leaves it open but NOT absolutely, for purgatory
jimmyakin.org/2004/05/the_population_.html

So you see, there is an open view of the parable.
40.png
mickey:
Originally Posted by steve b forums.catholic-questions.org/images/buttons_cad/viewpost.gif
Falling into the netherworld of torments does NOT mean the same to Christians today…

It means hell. The rich man was in hell.
what I said without your editing is,
:

Falling into the netherworld of torments does NOT mean the same to Christians today as it does to the Jew of the 1st century or even the Jew of today They see that as a temporary place of punishment and purification. But their understanding is it lasts for 1 year, even for the wicked. It (torment) is not forever. It’s temporary purification
That’s the Jewish view and I was clear on that, and I gave Jewish references NOT my personal opinions or apologetic.

And Benedict XVI in Spe Salvi is addressing this issue from the Jewish perspective of the afterlife and purification. He’s NOT denying hell or it’s permanence. But Benedict makes it clear, the parable is NOT the final judgement on the rich man. Therefore, Benedict is NOT absolutizing the rich man is in hell. If he is in hell then he is in hell. No final judgement is necessary. Benedict however, ties the parable and Paul’s letter to the Corinthians passage, and Jewish understanding of purification after death, AND purgatory, all together in his message of hope in his encyclical Spe Salvi…
40.png
mickey:
That is the patristic understanding…which you ignore…
I don’t ignore it. And I haven’t objected to any patristic quote
40.png
mickey:
and it is the consensus here.
That’s fine.
40.png
mickey:
But again, you are entitled to your opinion.

I understand that you feel that the parable is an apologetic for purgatory. But not many agree with you. 🤷
I have presented what other Catholics believe. And THAT’s what you asked in the opening post. But I don’t think you really wanted to hear about anyother opinion but the one that agreed with you.
 
It seems that many Roman Catholics have a major misunderstanding about the meaning of this parable.
Correct. And it is not many, it is a few. And you are one of them. That part has been settled.
Some people think that it is a proof of purgatory.
And not many do…except for you and a couple others. That has been settled.
Others think that the rich man is able to repent** AFTER** he dies.
And not many do…except for you and maybe a few others. That has been settled.
(the Eastern Catholic is in line with the Orthodox).
Yes.
Does the Roman Catholic Church have an official interpretation of this parable
I have shown many patristics and actual quotes from Pope John Paul II.
I will post comments from steve B who thinks it is purgatory and that the rich man is showing perfect charity in the after life! I had that deleted because you were complaining incessantly.
40.png
steve_b:
What say the rest of you? I would like to read replies from Catholics, protestants, and Orthodox
And I have heard great responses from very knowledgeable people. It was a good thread and I am satisfied with its progress.
Actually, for my part, just to set the record straight, I was posting what other prominent Catholics think.
You have a minority opinion.
Just to be clear, It is NOT my opinion. I offer the opinion of many who are far more knowledgable than me. I quote Catholic theologians, and those who give answers for EWTN and Catholic Answers.
You aped other’s opinions. I quoted patristics.
I gave you Patrick Madrid
And I re-posted the patristics.
But you were condescending
No. You continue to be obstinate and combative. I quoted patristics and a wonderful quote by JP2.
Scott Hahn, A prominent theologian at Franciscan University also sees it as purgatory
Wow! Unbelievable! I usually have some respect for Hahn’s views but he is way off here. He actually pities the rich man and says that he is showing compassion. That is totally against every patristic interpretation I have ever read! I am shocked. Good thing he is not the Pope, eh? I must now re-think everything I’ve read by Scott Hahn. What a shame! Thank you for that link. It is eye-opening!
Scripture Catholic says it’s purgatory
Again, unbelievable. No wonder you have been misled! This site is also saying that the rich man had compassion. That is against all patristic interpretations.
So you see, there is an open view of the parable.
No. The rich man is in hell and Lazarus was lifted by angels to the Bosom of Abraham–heaven.
And Benedict XVI in Spe Salvi is addressing this issue from the Jewish perspective of the afterlife and purification.
I’m sure he is.
He’s NOT denying hell or it’s permanence.
Of course not.
But Benedict makes it clear, the parable is NOT the final judgement on the rich man.
That’s not how I read it. 🤷
If he is in hell then he is in hell.
Yes. He is in hell.
Benedict however, ties the parable and Paul’s letter to the Corinthians passage, and Jewish understanding of purification after death, AND purgatory
The jewish understanding is NOT the same as purgatory. Pope Benedict is NOT telling us that the parable is a proof for purgatory.
I don’t ignore it. And I haven’t objected to any patristic quote
Good, then you can stop your constant harrasment of the thread.
I have presented what other Catholics believe.
And** that** is the minority non-patristic opinion.
And THAT’s what you asked in the opening post.
I know what I asked. Yet you continue to attempt to tell me what I asked. That is harrassment–and it lacks charity.
But I don’t think you really wanted to hear about any other opinion but the one that agreed with you.
Are you kidding me? You’ve been spouting your OPINION for almost 900 posts. My interpretation is consistent with patristics.

I do not agree with your opinion–but I heard it.

Okay?
 
[snip]

You aped other’s opinions. I quoted patristics.
And I re-posted the patristics.
Excuse me?? Aped other’s opinions? like Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, Jimmy Akin, Benedict XVI, … etc. I think that’s pretty good company
40.png
mickey:
Wow! Unbelievable! I usually have some respect for Hahn’s views but he is way off here. He actually pities the rich man and says that he is showing compassion. That is totally against every patristic interpretation I have ever read! I am shocked. Good thing he is not the Pope, eh? I must now re-think everything I’ve read by Scott Hahn. What a shame! Thank you for that link. It is eye-opening!

Again, unbelievable. No wonder you have been misled! This site is also saying that the rich man had compassion. That is against all patristic interpretations.
No. The rich man is in hell and Lazarus was lifted by angels to the Bosom of Abraham–heaven.
keep reading 🙂
:
Originally Posted by steve b forums.catholic-questions.org/images/buttons_cad/viewpost.gif
But Benedict makes it clear, the parable is NOT the final judgement on the rich man.
40.png
mickey:
That’s not how I read it. 🤷
the pope is very clear. How could you miss it?

From Spe Salvi

In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (cf.* Lk* 16:19-31), Jesus admonishes us through the image of a soul destroyed by arrogance and opulence, who has created an impassable chasm between himself and the poor man; the chasm of being trapped within material pleasures; the chasm of forgetting the other, of incapacity to love, which then becomes a burning and unquenchable thirst. We must note that in this parable Jesus is not referring to the final destiny after the Last Judgement, but is taking up a notion found,* inter alia*, in early Judaism, namely that of an intermediate state between death and resurrection, a state in which the final sentence is yet to be pronounced.
45. This early Jewish idea of an intermediate state includes the view that these souls are not simply in a sort of temporary custody but, as the parable ofthe rich man illustrates, are already being punished or are experiencing a provisional form of bliss. There is also the idea that this state can involve purification and healing which mature the soul for communion with God. The early Church took up these concepts, and in the Western Church they gradually developed into the doctrine of Purgatory. We do not need to examine here the complex historical paths of this development; it is enough to ask what it actually means. With death, our life-choice becomes definitive—our life stands before the judge. Our choice, which in the course of an entire life takes on a certain shape, can have a variety of forms. There can be people who have totally destroyed their desire for truth and readiness to love, people for whom everything has become a lie, people who have lived for hatred and have suppressed all love within themselves. This is a terrifying thought, but alarming profiles of this type can be seen in certain figures of our own history. In such people all would be beyond remedy and the destruction of good would be irrevocable: this is what we mean by the word* Hell*37]. On the other hand there can be people who are utterly pure, completely permeated by God, and thus fully open to their neighbours—people for whom communion with God even now gives direction to their entire being and whose journey towards God only brings to fulfilment what they already are38].
46. Yet we know from experience that neither case is normal in human life. For the great majority of people—we may suppose—there remains in the depths of their being an ultimate interior openness to truth, to love, to God. In the concrete choices of life, however, it is covered over by ever new compromises with evil—much filth covers purity, but the thirst for purity remains and it still constantly re-emerges from all that is base and remains present in the soul. What happens to such individuals when they appear before the Judge? Will all the impurity they have amassed through life suddenly cease to matter? What else might occur? Saint Paul, in his First Letter to the Corinthians, gives us an idea of the differing impact of God’s judgement according to each person’s particular circumstances. He does this using images which in some way try to express the invisible, without it being possible for us to conceptualize these images—simply because we can neither see into the world beyond death nor do we have any experience of it. Paul begins by saying that Christian life is built upon a common foundation: Jesus Christ. This foundation endures. If we have stood firm on this foundation and built our life upon it, we know that it cannot be taken away from us even in death. Then Paul continues: “Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire” (*1 Cor *3:12-15).

[snip]
 
Excuse me?? Aped other’s opinions? like Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, Jimmy Akin, Benedict XVI, .etc. I think that’s pretty good company
Yes. Aped other’s opinion’s.
the pope is very clear. How could you miss it?
Yes. He is very clear. How could YOU miss it?
In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (cf.* Lk* 16:19-31), Jesus admonishes us through the image of a soul destroyed by arrogance and opulence,
Here is your big clue, Steve. “A soul destroyed” means what? Yes, yes, you got it…hell!
who has created an impassable chasm between himself and the poor man; the chasm of being trapped within material pleasures; the chasm of forgetting the other, of incapacity to love, which then becomes a burning and unquenchable thirst.
Impassable chasm and unquenchable thirst? Sounds like hell to me. I will check Trent to see if “purgatory” has any language about unquenchable thirst. 😉 “Incapacity to love”…does not sound like Pope Benedict is saying that the rich man has compassion on his brothers. Looks like Hahn and Madrid are wrong, eh?
We must note that in this parable Jesus is not referring to the final destiny after the Last Judgement.
Of course not!!! The final judgement is when the soul is reunited with the body…the general Resurrection. We know that Steve!
in early Judaism, namely that of an intermediate state between death and resurrection, a state in which the final sentence is yet to be pronounced
.
Judaism is not referring to purgatory here.
There is also the idea that this state can involve purification and healing which mature the soul for communion with God. The early Church took up these concepts, and in the Western Church they gradually developed into the doctrine of Purgatory.
Hey Steve! Notice that Pope Benedict says CAN…and that it is an IDEA. Then he transitions and talks about the** “gradual development”** of the post schism doctrine of purgatory in the 13th century by the West. 😉
We do not need to examine here the complex historical paths of this development;
Actually it should be examined because the East did not adopt it. But that is for another thread. 😃
Then Paul continues: “Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire” (*1 Cor *3:12-15).
Then he goes on to discuss the RC doctrine of purgatory. It is very clear Steve. Pope Benedict starts by telling us that Lazarus was condemned. He then tells us the obvious… that it is not the final judgement where the soul is reunited with the body in the general Resurrection. Then he transitions to discuss the RC doctrine of purgatory. It is crystal clear Steve…and not what you think it is saying. You can post the Encyclical 100 consecutive times and it will still not say what you think it is trying to saying. He is absolutely **NOT **saying that the parable is a proof of purgatory. And if the layman you have referenced say that it is…then they are flat out wrong.

The patristics are very clear.

And Pope John Paul II is crystal clear:
…Lazarus is carried away to heaven, whilst the rich man falls into the netherworld of torments."

I hope that you are beginning to understanding. 👍
 
Mickey, My little mouse. I have a question for you. If Pope JPII said that Lazarus was in heaven, but was not talking about the Jewish understanding, then why do we as Christians believe that Jesus opened up Heaven.

Do you not agree that the Christian understanding of Heaven and the Jewish understanding of heaven are quite different.?

Take your time my little mouse. Think about this question.😃
 
In post 852 is where Pope Benedict is saying that this very well could be proof in the bible for purgatory. The intermediate place.

I agree that Pope JpII never addressed the question that this could or could not be a reference to purgatory. But in the same token he was addressing the parable at another angle.

Thats what parables are different angles of understanding. And we all know that God will reveal to us what he wants us to know and when.

You need to show me my little mouse, how Pope JPII said that heaven in the OT is the same of the NT. You can’t Mickey, ITs impossible.

So what I am saying is you cannot use that reference to say the Pope agrees with you and not us. He was not talking about purgatory in his statement I agree, but it does not mean he would disagree with us today. He could not. He is not Jewish, He is a Christian.

See what I am saying?👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top