Leaving Mass early...

• Thread starter Thread starter agname
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Detroit Sue:
I taught my kids that the priest is the last one to enter Mass, and the first one to leave. We don’t leave until the last note of of the recessional.

Another note - I’ve seen people stay just long enough to throw in their envelope and leave right at offertory. Prospective brides and grooms, perhaps? That way their envelope said they attended Mass.:tsktsk:
I repeat - what envelope?😃

40.png
Rogo:
I repeat - what envelope?😃
In case this is an actually serious question… In most Parishes in the US and elsewhere I guess we register at the Parish and they send us weekly envelopes marked with the date and some have the purpose for which an offering is being collected. I get an envelop for every Sunday. Then if there is a second collection - I get and envelop with the intention for example Peters Pence or The Missions in Africa… We also have envelopes for parish Outreach for food. For the Diocesan newspaper and some others.
The envelops serve a few purposes.
It is a help for those managing their tithe. It is a reminder to bring a monetary offering.You get a good idea of all the works the church is involved in. You may feel called to give to one type of collection or another. In some Parishes, families who use the school are required to give at least 5% of their income if they are able. So envelopes help keep track .Not so much keeping track of the amount but that the envelope shows up often.
Usually one envelope has a breakdown of what a person might be expected to give based on a weekly salary. It is a goal to work for to participate fully in the Stewardship of the Parish.

It is also a discrete way to contribute.

Our Parish is doing a study at this time to weigh the costs of printing and mailing the envelopes against how much money they actually bring in. Some Parishes don’t mail them , they have them in the pews or in the entranceway.
Hope that helps.
Dianne

40.png
Seatuck:
In case this is an actually serious question…
Thank you! It was serious, because I was a bit mystified! We don’t have these in Norway, at least I’ve never seen them. I see how it would help one be a little more regular in offering. Sorry about the thread drift.

I’ve seen some churches that have this problem more than others, and I’ve notice a bit of a correlation. Now my sample size isn’t big enough to draw a proper conclusion, but I find it interesting:

It seems to me that a church that has a traditional “mall-style” parking lot is more likely to have this problem then a church that has the “everyone in a single-line” style parking lot.

I leave early if my baby is getting fussy. He’s usually really good, but there have been a couple of times when he just can’t make it all the way through.

The last time, though, was a combination of:

I had less than one hour to get home, get lunch, get ready, nurse my baby, and get to work.
I was in the “cry room” where I witnessed THE BRATTIEST child ever (hitting his father in the face, jumping and yelling, etc) so I really just wanted to get out of there.
A dirty diaper.

I had to force myself to stay as long as I did…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back