M
mardukm
Guest
I’m not sure how you conclude the idea of “absolute authority.” I hope you understand that while the Pope indeed has is PERSONAL prerogative to teach infallibly, it is not a UNILATERAL prerogative. Please have a look at the “Papal infallibility simplified and explained” thread. The issues between the Absolutist and High Petrine views are more concisely debated there.Hi Marduk,
First, the Pope does have absolute authority in the Church. Why? Because in the end, anything he declares to be infallibly true is infallibly true (on issues of faith and morals). Although he may not choose to exercise this authority at all times, he still has it according to Catholic teachings.
Please have a look at this thread in the Non-Catholic Forum:Second, in regards to your understanding of St. Peter and the keys as it relates to papal authority…I have never heard this understanding once from Catholic apologists. Scott Hahn in particular, who has spent a great deal of time making the “keys” argument, is quite clear that the keys symbolize a dynastic office that would be passed down…thus, the keys are passed down. You are saying the keys remain with St. Peter and the successors simply inherit the position…but that doesn’t even fit into the theology of the keys. The keys in Isaiah 22 were passed down as well to the successors…not just the office. I have no idea where you are getting this conception of the keys and the office of the pope, but I would very much like to read it if it is from an official Catholic source.
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=85147
The issue of the keys is thoroughly discussed there, and it will hopefully demonstrate to you the Church’s true teaching on the matter. It also discusses source documentation (not apologetic material) for the Church’s actual teaching. The debate on the keys starts on page 4 with my post#55, where I make the same assertion to which you are here responding.
I did not come into the Catholic Church by reading Latin Catholic apologetics, but by reading source documents from the Catholic Magisterium. It matters not what a Catholic apologist might say. It is only what the Church actually teaches from her source documents that concerns me. There was a debate some months back on Filioque wherein a Catholic apologist made statements directly contrary to the teaching of the Catholic Church according to the official Clarification on Filioque promulgated by HH JP2 of thrice blessed memory. It demonstrated that there are Catholic “apologists” out there who prefer their own opinions over actual Church teaching. It is very possible by your estimation that I am one of those “apologists.” But I ask that you try with thoroughness (to the best of your ability) to read what I (and other similarly-minded Catholics) have written on the matter before deciding who indeed represents the actual teaching of the Catholic Church - the High Petrine advocates, or the Absolutist Petrine advocates.Additionally, if your conception of the papacy were the one being taught by the overwhelming majority of Catholics, it would be far easier to accept. This is not, however, the doctrine being propagated by Catholics in America and I am not certain your view is truly the Church’s.
Blessings,
Marduk
P.S. I offered you a link as a primer for the different Petrine views earlier in this thread (IIRC). I hope you read it.