LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what’s going on?

Is Jacob haunting MiB?

Is MiB having a nervous breakdown?

Let’s see - Smokey can imitate dead people. But some people can actually SEE the real dead people, like Hurley can.

So – Smokey is seeing the dead Jacob just like Hurley? After all young MiB had the ability to see his dead Mom. Is that gift re-emerging now?

What’s going on?

VC
 
So what’s going on?

Is Jacob haunting MiB?

Is MiB having a nervous breakdown?

Let’s see - Smokey can imitate dead people. But some people can actually SEE the real dead people, like Hurley can.

So – Smokey is seeing the dead Jacob just like Hurley? After all young MiB had the ability to see his dead Mom. Is that gift re-emerging now?

What’s going on?

VC
The whole “dead people” thing is sort of interesting. MIB and Hurley can see dead people. Miles can hear dead people if he is near their body. MIB can also take on the appearance of dead people (though for some reason he has become locked in the form of Locke).

Did anyone else think of Walt when the “Mother” told MIB that he was “special”? I’ve pretty much written off the notion that they’ll really explain anything regarding Walt. I think they realized that his noticeable aging would not mesh with their time table, so they had to get him off the island. Perhaps we’ll see the aged Walt in some sort of final episode epilogue.
 
One question though: isn’t the flask of wine that Jacob drank to become the Guardian the same one that he gave MIB after winning over Richard?
I had the same realization when I was thinking about it afterwards! VC says no though which vaguely sounds right. I remember Richard not trusting Jacob and then Jacob drinking but couldn’t remember whether Richard drank after him.
Remember when Locke stated in season 2 to Ekko, “I looked into the heart of the Island, and what I saw was beautiful”. Then Ekko responded, “That is not what I saw”.

We all assumed Locke was referring to the Smoke Monster, but could Locke have stumbled on the cave of Light before confronting the Smoke Monster in Season 1? Locke may have lost the cave after being chased off by Smokie. Once lost, perhaps Locke could not find the light again. MIB complains in “Across the Sea” that he could never find the cave again even though he searched the entire Island. The cave of light might move or be hidden in the same manner that Jacob’s cabin and the Lighthouse are elusive. Perhaps Locke’s secret search for the Light, caused him to seize on the hatch as a solution to finding the Light again. That would explain a great deal why Locke went all pro-Island early in Season 1.
It seemed like he stumbled upon the smoke monster. I even remember him looking up (sweet camera shot!). So I think he saw smokey but perhaps smokey gave him a vision since he couldn’t kill a candidate?
What did people here think of the scene with her giving the cup of wine to Jacob? It annoyed me because it seemed like they were making this woman imitate words and actions of a priest.
I TOTALLY was reminded of the Eucharist, but it didn’t offend me. I think I was just so excited at the time to hear something ‘Catholic’.
Looks like a Smokey to me. Does the Guardian control the smoke?
Interesting thought. I wondered how she managed to do all of that. There seems to be some sort of dichotomy w/ her. MIB seems more like her, Jacob even picked up on that. But maybe MIB wanting to leave confirmed for her who the right candidate was. Hmmmmm. Anyone else recently who know who doesn’t want to leave? :hmmm:
(and finding out if I am going to eat crow on here, or be the maître d’ for all of you.)
better get your bib ready VC!! 😃
His mother was perhaps overly cynical of humanity where as jacob has a more optimistic view, and where she kind of scoffed at the notion of free will jacob seems to champion in it in the way he does things by giving people a choice to follow him or reject him.
I think that free will is key here.
My concern is that it appears that the writers of the show are getting so focused on finishing up the direct story with Jacob/MiB and the survivors, that the are going to not answer questions relating to the Dharma Initiative or the Others.
I think we’re done w/ DI as well. The whole quest to ‘use’ the power of the island.

It’s funny though because we got a glimpse of the well and the wheel and also MIBs intent - but it seems like it was put to a different use later by ??
 
From an acting perspective, I hope they don’t show an aged Walt. He really phoned in his performance in “The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham”. If they do decide to wrap up his storyline, it should be done via exposition. I don’t think this will happen though; the dialog would be too jarring considering that Walt has not been an integral part of the storyline for 4 seasons.

I do wonder why Walt was able to control animals, project himself remotely (Shannon sees his projection while he is on the raft), have dreams about the future, and attract the attention of the Others. Did Jacob order Mr. Friendly to kidnap Walt from the raft? Why? What’s the significance of Walt’s special abilities? It’s a pretty big plot thread to leave dangling, but I don’t think we’ll ever really have it resolved.

As for MIB, I don’t think he ever lost his ability to see the dead when they want to appear. Jacob’s ghost appears to him to remind him that he can’t break the rules and kill candidates directly.
 
I had the same realization when I was thinking about it afterwards! VC says no though which vaguely sounds right. I remember Richard not trusting Jacob and then Jacob drinking but couldn’t remember whether Richard drank after him.
DW,

Yes, I’m sure he didn’t drink it on camera. I should point out why I mentioned that though. gmarie was wondering about what happens now that the bottle of wine is broken. The substance of her question is: how is Jacob going to make a new guardian, since it seems like the wine is the magic potion.

I was pointing out that Jacob offered that same wine to Richard. If Richard had drunk it, would that made him the guardian? I doubt it. Why would Jacob give Richard that role right off the bat?

My guess is that it is the “magic words” that Crazy-Mom said with the wine that made that particular cup of it into a magic potion. Just because MiB broke a bottle of wine (“the” bottle of wine) wouldn’t mean, necessarily, that Jacob can’t whip up another batch, decant and then incant some and give it to his replacement. Who we all know is going to be

Vincent!

VC
 
and give it to his replacement. Who we all know is going to be

Vincent!

VC
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That dog sure is good about figuring out the Island, isn’t he?!

Then again, dog is just god spelled backwards. You may be onto something.
 
My guess is that it is the “magic words” that Crazy-Mom said with the wine that made that particular cup of it into a magic potion. Just because MiB broke a bottle of wine (“the” bottle of wine) wouldn’t mean, necessarily, that Jacob can’t whip up another batch, decant and then incant some and give it to his replacement.
Yeah, I agree. At first I thought the wine was gone since MIB broke the bottle, but Jacob could use the magic words to make a cup of different wine (or grape juice ;)) magic.

After Jacob drank the wine, crazy mom said something like, you and I are the same. So does Jacob inherit her all knowledge she has accumulated while she was alive?
 
I think that free will is key here.
That is interesting. I noticed when Mother offered the wine to Jacob, she said that he didn’t have a choice. One of the recurring phrases of the show is “there’s always a choice”. And yet, it this scene, that phrase was noticeably absent.
 
So what’s going on?

Is Jacob haunting MiB?

Is MiB having a nervous breakdown?

Let’s see - Smokey can imitate dead people. But some people can actually SEE the real dead people, like Hurley can.

So – Smokey is seeing the dead Jacob just like Hurley? After all young MiB had the ability to see his dead Mom. Is that gift re-emerging now?

What’s going on?

VC
But MIB and Hurley aren’t the only ones who can see Jacob. Sawyer saw him as well. Not sure if that means anything, but 🤷
 
Have they ever explained how Ben was able to summon the smoke monster at the end of season 4 after Keamy killed Alex?
 
Have they ever explained how Ben was able to summon the smoke monster at the end of season 4 after Keamy killed Alex?
Sort of. They did show Ben pulling an ancient plug from a drain in his secret Dharma panic room in season 5. He was making an unsuccessful attempt to summon the smoke monster via the drain, all the while not realizing that the fake Locke standing near him was the actual smoke monster.

We can surmise that the secret drain in the Barracks house poured water into the underground labyrinth of tunnels that extended to the Temple where smokey resides. I think Smokey allowed himself to be “summoned” this way in the past as a bid to trick the Others into thinking that he could be controlled by them, thereby opening them to manipulation.
 
I think Smokey allowed himself to be “summoned” this way in the past as a bid to trick the Others into thinking that he could be controlled by them, thereby opening them to manipulation.
You know. . has anyone figured out the timelines yet?

There is an awful lot of Ancient Egyptian artifacts on the island, and was that drain one of them? I can’t remember the markings, etc.

What I am wondering is if the Egyptians that inhabited the island didn’t do so long before the Latin-speaking folks (i.e Crazy-Mom). And maybe the Egyptians, or at least one Egyptian didn’t make that summoning bowl. Maybe that existed before Crazy-Mom. Maybe she used that to call Smokey.

In fact, maybe the Guardian controls smokey, summons him using that bowl or by other means.

This presumes alot of course, not the least that Smokey existed before MiB got flushed.

Another problem with the above - - - it would sure make for a crazy last two episodes if they have to address the Egyptians!

VC
 
I was reading an interview with Mark Pellegrino (Jacob) and he said that his scenes in last weeks episode took place in 43 A.D. and they were 43 years old in the scene so they were born in year 1. we had clues that it was during the roman era; MIB’s roman pugio dagger with the depiction of romulus, remus, and the she wolf. The egyptian stuff was already there i presume, we just didnt see that part of the island considering jacob, mom, and mib ironically lived by the beach where our original losties crashed which is on the other side of the island. there was a depiction of the smoke monster in the area under the temple tho which leads me to believe this was not the first time someone entered “the light” and got turned into smoke. I think the drain works as a summoning device for smoke precisely because it drains water into where ever smokey resides, and i dont think smokey likes water at all. after all mib or whoever turns into a smokey needs to be sucked through that passage of water into where ever the light is. also when jack pushed MIB into the water, he didnt look to strong trying to lift himself out on the dock.
 
After Jacob drank the wine, crazy mom said something like, you and I are the same. So does Jacob inherit her all knowledge she has accumulated while she was alive?
I think she meant the same as in they are now of the same nature. She seemed to have supernatural powers, and now that jacob accepted the responsibility to protect the island he drank the wine as an act of consumation and he now has all of the power his mother had. To extend long life to others, (richard) to make “rules”, to annoint candidates and so on.
 
Aha L! Good point about the water!

Yes, why is the water flowing into that light? Keeps smokey in, maybe? Smokey out?

And yes, that drain must drop water right on Smokey’s little chamber somewhere and wake him up. Out he comes.

And I agree the Egyptians were there long before.

This says to me, that the Guardian before Crazy-Mom was an Egyptian. That this Egyptian controlled Smokey. That Smokey (the same Smokey) existed long before MiB got flushed. That, in fact, Smokey destroyed the others and the well at Crazy-Mom’s bidding (maybe she used the summoning dish?).

I’m leaning towards what I said above – the Guardian controls the Smokey, and the Smokey has been around for a long time. It isn’t MiB’s soul or essence. It just took his form after MiB died.

VC
 
Could Mom have been a smoke monster herself? Could she have gotten greedy and tried to explore the light and got turned into smoke? She seemed to know an awful lot about what the cave felt like (it feels warm) and knows the consequences of entering the cave (a fate worse than death). She also thanks MIB when he stabs her, implying she is tired of life and also manages to wipe out MIB’s village even though she describes herself as tired.

It’s also possible that previous guardians got greedy and tried to take the light.The irony is that they lose their bodies (which would enrage/possibly derange them) and are forever trapped by the island’s water making them perfect guardians of the Island.
 
Could Mom have been a smoke monster herself? Could she have gotten greedy and tried to explore the light and got turned into smoke? She seemed to know an awful lot about what the cave felt like (it feels warm) and knows the consequences of entering the cave (a fate worse than death). She also thanks MIB when he stabs her, implying she is tired of life and also manages to wipe out MIB’s village even though she describes herself as tired.

It’s also possible that previous guardians got greedy and tried to take the light.The irony is that they lose their bodies (which would enrage/possibly derange them) and are forever trapped by the island’s water making them perfect guardians of the Island.
I considered whether or not the mother could be the smoke monster, but the fact that she had a body and she was bleeding when stabbed led me to believe other wise. Remember back when sayid stabbed MIB, there was no blood because it was not an actual body.

I think MIB by entering the light took some of it into himself thereby dimming the light. The mother makes a point of saying its the warmest light they could imagine, but in season 4 when ben turns the wheel under the orchid, we see that a light is still there, but its freezing cold down there with ice forming on the wheel.
 
In a couple interesting interviews, the creators of Lost comment that we aren’t going to get answers to some of the remaining mysteries. One mystery they specifically state won’t be answered is the question of who was shooting at the Losties in the outrigger in Season 5. In another interview, they state that the only answer they owe the audience is why there are two parallel worlds and how will this be resolved.

These are pretty enlightening interviews:
Interview 1 - Commenting on the fan rejection of “Across the Sea”
Interview 2 - Commenting on how Lost was planned and written over the years

If you read Lostpedia or other internet fan boards, you’ll notice that the vast majority of internet fans hated the latest episode of Lost. I feel sorry for Lindelof and Cuse; they’ve worked so hard on this show, and the fans are turning on them. It is obvious they are hurt and a little angry. It shows in the first interview. They’ve done an amazing job writing Lost over the past 5 years, and many fans are starting to lose faith in them in the 11th hour.

Cool quote of the day:
Wired: Do you still see that as the central issue, man of faith versus man of science?
Lindelof: The paradigm has shifted from that to, were we brought here for a very specific reason, and what is that reason? Locke is now the voice of a very large subset of the audience who believes that when Lost is all said and done, we will have wasted six years of our lives, that we were making it up as we went along, and that there’s really no purpose. And Jack is now saying, “the only thing I have left to cling to is that there’s got to be something really cool that’s going to happen, because I have really, really [bad word] suffered.”
I can’t wait for the finale, although I am a bit sad we won’t likely get many of the remaining mysteries answered.
 
I think MIB by entering the light took some of it into himself thereby dimming the light. The mother makes a point of saying its the warmest light they could imagine, but in season 4 when ben turns the wheel under the orchid, we see that a light is still there, but its freezing cold down there with ice forming on the wheel.
Very interesting observation…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top