LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternate theory on the credits: My first thought when Lapidus was taxi-ing the airplane was me screaming in my head “YOU’VE GOT TO FLY AT THE RIGHT DEGREES” like Michael did when he left in the boat with Walt.

It dawned on me today that maybe the plane wreckage during the credits was their plane because either they couldn’t get out of the island bubble (like Desmond when he attempted to leave on the sailboat) and it ran out of fuel or ?

Or maybe it was just a poor image montage chosen during the credits after all.
 
Actually the “Christian Shepherd” line I got right in Season 1. It was funny to see some one in the series actually mention it.
 
Alternate theory on the credits: My first thought when Lapidus was taxi-ing the airplane was me screaming in my head “YOU’VE GOT TO FLY AT THE RIGHT DEGREES” like Michael did when he left in the boat with Walt.

It dawned on me today that maybe the plane wreckage during the credits was their plane because either they couldn’t get out of the island bubble (like Desmond when he attempted to leave on the sailboat) and it ran out of fuel or ?

Or maybe it was just a poor image montage chosen during the credits after all.
Aww… that would be very sad if true. Actually, I rewatched the episode last night, and it looks like the Oceanic plane and not the Ajira plane with the distinctive red logos. Additionally, the plane in the montage is full of scorch marks like we would expect after the Oceanic fuselage was burned in S1 to cremate the dead.

In regards to the directions needed to get off the Island, I look at it as one of Jacob’s rules designed to restrict who could leave the Island. Those rules probably died with Jacob. Once Jacob was dead and Hurley was in control of things, he could set his own rules about who comes and goes to the Island.

Ben tells Hurley in their last conversation, that Hurley could let Desmond leave the Island. Hurley protests that it might not be possible, but Ben says that not leaving the Island was part of Jacob’s rules and that maybe there is a better way (if I’m remembering correctly).

I think it was a poor image montage. Someone on Lostpedia remarked that the plane wreckage montage was not shown in Canada. This lead to speculation that the wreckage footage was just some spare documentation footage that ABC slapped on the end to overlay the credits. It may not have been planned by Darlton.
 
I personally loved the ending. It affected me, way more deeply than I thought it would.

In any case, here’s an article written by someone over at Entertainment Weekly that I think gives a very good perspective.

In particular, here’s my favorite excerpt from the (admittedly) long essay (emphasis mine):
Perhaps these questions are only meaningful to people predisposed to believing in things like ‘‘spiritual clans’’ and ‘‘eternal reckoning.’’ I am one of those people, so I appreciate seeing a story that reflected — and challenged — my worldview. Yes, challenged. John Locke was never a man of faith — he was a critique of a man of faith. I used to identify with John strongly. When the show challenged his integrity, I felt it was challenging my integrity, too. In that tension, though, there was an invitation to reflect: Am I blind to my issues? Do I see myself clearly? Do I see God clearly? Or is my belief in God a ‘‘god delusion,’’ to borrow from Richard Dawkins? The example of John Locke demands that I ask these questions of myself. I am grateful for his story.
I’ll be rewatching this series from stem to stern again, and cherishing what turned out to be an amazing story.
 
I’ll be rewatching this series from stem to stern again, and cherishing what turned out to be an amazing story.
I rewatched the episode again and cried through almost all of it; especially the scenes where the main characters came to the realization that they were going to heaven. The scene where Kate asks Jack, “Will I ever see you again?” was particularly sad especially since you realize that is indeed the last time she is going to see him.

I rewatched the episode on-line and they did not have the closing shot of the Oceanic Flight 815 on the beach; therefore, I believe they only showed that as a credit filler on ABC–dumb decision as it caused much confusion with the fans.
 
Alternate theory on the credits: My first thought when Lapidus was taxi-ing the airplane was me screaming in my head “YOU’VE GOT TO FLY AT THE RIGHT DEGREES” like Michael did when he left in the boat with Walt.

It dawned on me today that maybe the plane wreckage during the credits was their plane because either they couldn’t get out of the island bubble (like Desmond when he attempted to leave on the sailboat) and it ran out of fuel or ?

Or maybe it was just a poor image montage chosen during the credits after all.
The official word about the plane wreckage; it was just an image chosen by the network as a transition before the local news:

popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/26/lost-final-scenes-wreckage/
 
catholicnewsagency.com/news/lost-ends-with-catholic-twist/
following the finale of the television series, “Lost,” which told the story of survivors of an airline crash on a mysterious island. The newspaper remarked that the series, which captivated millions of viewers for seven years, ended with a Catholic storyline.
In their article, reporters Mar Velasco and Pablo Gines pointed out that, “There are two kinds of fans of Lost: Those who believe its value lies in its plot, and those who believe it resides in its characters. For the former, the series finale was in a certain sense disappointing. Yes, the script writers could have resolved many questions that remained (and will remain) unanswered. However, for the latter, the series ended on a high note.”
The finale, they said, resolved “what was essential, what has to do with the human heart, with the meaning and value of life and the capacity to be ‘saved’.”
“At the critical moments of life, the ‘man of faith’ overcame the ‘man of science.’ The way was opened to the transcendental and, despite a certain … homage to all creeds (the stained-glass window with the symbols of all the religions), it did so in a Christian manner. It was not in vain that the Risen One awaited the ‘lost’ when they were about to reach the fullness found on the other side of a specifically Catholic chapel,” the reporters asserted.
In the last episode, the mysterious island was revealed as a real physical place “where the characters ‘were rescued’ from their frustrations and their past, although the price some paid would be their very lives (Locke, Jack). In Christianity, this ‘island’ is the physical world in which mankind journeys and Jesus Christ ‘redeems’ in the act of giving himself up on the cross,” the writers explained.
The last season of Lost was characterized “by the creation of what was thought to be a ‘parallel reality’ and that was, in the end, revealed to be a sort of ‘purgatory’ in which each person ‘re-created’ the life he or she would have liked to have lived in the world: Jack became a good son and father; Kate was innocent; Sawyer, a decent police officer; Benjamin became an affectionate professor … When they all ‘recognized’ and discovered that they were in this ‘purgatory,’ for some, the door to resurrection and eternity (the ‘light’ at the other end of the chapel) was opened, while for others the purgatory continued because they still had issues to resolve (Ben, Eloise, Ana Lucia…).
Likewise, “Love was not only understood as ‘eros,’ possessive love, but as ‘agape,’ the love that seeks the good of the other: ‘Jack, I hope someone does for you what you’ve done for me’," Locke told him.
Another key element in this finale was forgiveness, which was featured in one of the most powerful scenes of the entire series: Locke, who has been murdered by Ben, encountered him shortly before entering eternity. ‘John, I’m really sorry for what I did to you. I was selfish and jealous, I wanted everything that you had.’ Locke responded, ‘If it’s of any help to you, Ben, I forgive you.’ ‘Thanks, John. That helps me. It means more to me than you can imagine’.”
The series ended with the sacrifice of the main character. “Jack offered his life to save the others. Never believing in the peculiarities of the island, he ends up understanding through another friend, Locke, who had to die in order to show him the way. It’s a sacrifice that, in the end, acquires all of its value and meaning.”
 
Why didn’t Ben go with them?

(I apologize if that has been answered but there are 38 pages to go through.):o
 
Mmm… Probably because he didn’t feel like he’d done enough penance for all the atrocities he’d committed in his life (like being responsible for the death of his daughter, among many many other people). Besides, he was learning to connect with the Rosseau (The Frenchwoman), as well as getting a taste of something he’d never had in his life - Family.
 
A few of you have mentioned the Catholic undertones in the show. I don’t think they just threw it in because it’s an interesting religion. One of the writers is Catholic. I heard an interview he gave some years back where he said he had asked the creator of the show if he could add some Catholic stuff into the show, and the answer was yes.
one scene that always got to me was when Charlie is drowning. One of the last things he does is cross himself. It was just so moving and powerful.
 
Okay, I watched the finale two days ago (I was on vacation and didn’t watch it when it aired). What a wonderful ending. Maybe it’s the pregnancy hormones, but today, as I was driving to work I was reflecting on the scenes and found myself crying for a few minutes. I never knew a show would stir up such a delayed reaction. Bravo to the writers on the characters. They made the show.
 
Thanks for the links Joe. The one by Rossi was particularly interesting.
 
Thanks for the links Joe. The one by Rossi was particularly interesting.
Yes, I liked her comparison with Lewis’s “The Great Divorce”. I’ll have to re-read that one now. 🙂 Cuse is a big Narnia fan and one of the LOST characters was named C. S. Lewis, so I don’t think we can overlook the parallel.
 
I’m glad you found my interpretation of the Lost finale enlightening along with my older blog post about Carlton Cuse being Catholic. I think Lost is a show people will be talking and thinking about for many years to come.

Tony Rossi
 
I’m glad you found my interpretation of the Lost finale enlightening along with my older blog post about Carlton Cuse being Catholic. I think Lost is a show people will be talking and thinking about for many years to come.

Tony Rossi
Thanks for joining us. 🙂
 
Yeah, thanks for joining us Tony!

I agree - there was something epic about LOST.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top