LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a one in a million show. I don’t think I’ll ever see another show like that in my lifetime.
The finale was what, 3 weeks ago, and my family and I are are still talking about it.
I’m trying to get my Priest to watch it, but he keeps insisting that it’s nothing more than a new Gilligan’s Island, lol. I told him I would pay him $20 to watch the first season. He’s agreed.
 
I also really enjoyed Tony’s article on the finale. I hadn’t thought much about the fate of Anthony Cooper in the flash sideways. He made a great point about how Cooper was the one character we see who is frozen in his own personal hell a la the 9th circle of hell in the Inferno.

Out of curiosity, now that we’ve had a few weeks to digest the finale, has anyone changed their opinions on season 6 or the finale? I still believe the finale was handled beautifully , but feel even more strongly that season 6 was the worst season of Lost in general. Instead of resolving key plot lines, the writers continued to obfuscate the mysteries. New mysteries with no solution kept piling up: The temple arc made almost no sense at all. The sickness and zombifying of Sayid was also baffling. The implications of MIB getting off the island were never spelled out. Ben was almost a non-factor until the very end, and Illana and Zoe were some of the most useless additions to the cast. Poor Sun spent the whole season saying variations of “Have you seen Jin?” until the very end. People kept trekking all over the Island and reforming teams for no good reason. It’s too bad S6 was so weak, because otherwise this would have been one of the best series of all time.

I read that the upcoming blueray and DVD collection may contain a new 10-15 minute epilogue dealing with Hurley and Ben’s tenure on the Island. I’m sure it will be funny and a welcome addition. Supposedly, Walt was also filmed and may appear on the discs. I hope we can get closure on his arc. Season 6 may have been disappointing but seasons 1-5 were iconic. I’m planning on getting the blueray series collection when it releases.
 
It’s a one in a million show. I don’t think I’ll ever see another show like that in my lifetime.
The finale was what, 3 weeks ago, and my family and I are are still talking about it.
Well said. The finale definitely was memorable. It does keep popping into your mind. I just went back and watched the 4th and 5th seasons…so many great moments. One scene that really struck me again that I had forgotten about…Locke and Ben are looking for the cabin, before they moved the island, and they wanted Hurley with them and here is Sawyer having become all protective of him, didn’t want to let him go with them. Loved that…

Can’t wait for S6’s DVD release.
 
I came across another enjoyable blog post, albeit, a non-Catholic one.

tvovermind.com/lost/review-lost-season-6/24226

He mentions one of Maeglin’s critiques of the final season: poor pacing. I agree with the author that, while I was watching those episodes, I wasn’t bored, but in retrospect, I can see how it may have been paced better. I disagree with him about “Across the Sea,” though. For me, the episode was perfectly placed. It serves as a breather after the action-packed “The Candidate” and thus serves as sort of an artistic “moment of silence” for those who died at the end of that episode.

Another observation I liked was his response to the common accusation that the big reveal at the end (that they were already dead) was a copout. He says:

“Seeing the characters reunite and forgive each other might have been a cop-out if it wasn’t the entire purpose of the show: to show these lost souls coming together to find themselves. Leaving these characters unresolved would have gone against the very nature of the show, and having those interactions made the series much more profound — and the finale that much more emotional.”

That’s kind of how I feel. The whole “saved in community” theme has been in the show from the very beginning. Live together or die alone. Hence why Vincent pops in to make sure that Jack doesn’t die alone. 🙂
 
I read somewhere that it is indeed a real Catholic church or chapel–some girls’ convent school in Hawaii. The employees there jokingly tell people that that door over there is the gateway to heaven!
 
I was also reading, and I wish I remember which review this was, something that just put a lump in my throat, that the real glory of the ending was the redemption of Benjamin Linus…

I agree with those who’ve said it’s an intentionally Catholic show.

And I’m also disappointed that so many loose ends were left…and in one of the bonus tapes after Season 5 the producers say there were plots in the show that were just left hanging. In some ways, I feel like I’ve been the victim of a deliberate “long con.” Does anyone else wonder about this?

Still…the ending was totally epic. I can’t wait for my husband and daughter to see it (they’ve finished Seasons 5 and 4 respectively)…it’s hard not to give away spoilers; I inadventently gave away the ending of Season 4 because there’s so much going back and forth in time.
 
I was also reading, and I wish I remember which review this was, something that just put a lump in my throat, that the real glory of the ending was the redemption of Benjamin Linus…

I agree with those who’ve said it’s an intentionally Catholic show.

And I’m also disappointed that so many loose ends were left…and in one of the bonus tapes after Season 5 the producers say there were plots in the show that were just left hanging. In some ways, I feel like I’ve been the victim of a deliberate “long con.” Does anyone else wonder about this?

Still…the ending was totally epic. I can’t wait for my husband and daughter to see it (they’ve finished Seasons 5 and 4 respectively)…it’s hard not to give away spoilers; I inadventently gave away the ending of Season 4 because there’s so much going back and forth in time.
I don’t really feel conned. The show answered all the major questions I had to my satisfaction. My mind can fill in the blanks. I was never particularly obsessed with the significance of Walt, though. 😛

Don’t spoil the ending for your husband and daughter! :eek: 😉 I find it best not to talk about it at all. As soon as I start talking about it, I know I’ll say more than I should. 😛
 
That’s so true! I’m keeping completely quiet…it’s the only safe way. 🙂
 
Lost was a great ride! I don’t feel conned either, but I was a bit disappointed by some of the major plot threads that were left dangling.

The biggest issue I have with Lost, is that the overall plot was never serialized in the beginning. This caused some jarring changes in tone and plot that upset many viewers and prevented the show from having tighter plot resolution.

Other serial shows have done a better job of this. For example, the creator of the sci-fi show Babylon 5, mapped out the major plot lines at the show’s inception. Occasionally, the departure of a major actor or interference of the network forced a plot change, but the overall story was left intact. This created a very satisfying conclusion to the series.

Lost was never truly mapped out in the beginning. It started out as a mystery show in season 1 with only a few of the answers plotted out. I’ve been rewatching Season 1 on DVD and listening to the commentary, and the series creators state that JJ Abrams came up with the idea of the hatch - however, neither he or co-creator Damon Lindelof knew what was in the hatch until late in Season 1. I suspect that most of the major plot devices were like this. The series creators simply sprinkled awesome mysteries into the story that sound cool initially, but had no basis for how to resolve the mysteries in the grand architecture of the show. That’s why the Others started out so cool in Season 1 and 2 (superhuman strength, awesome jungle skills, nefarious motives) but became rather dull in later seasons and lost a lot of their supernatural qualities. That’s also why Walt’s “specialness” was dropped after Season 4. They had no overarching plan to resolve his thread in relation to the series plot back in Season 1.

In the end, Lost did give answers to the big questions but the answers were just not as compelling as the questions. Maybe that is the nature of a mystery show, but I feel the show is a missed opportunity. The show attempted to fly by the seat of its pants, and just couldn’t quite manage to deliver a griping **and **cohesive plot arc.
 
This caused some jarring changes in tone and plot that upset many viewers and prevented the show from having tighter plot resolution. It started out as a mystery show in season 1 with only a few of the answers plotted out.
You’re certainly right that LOST was not mapped out from start to finish in the beginning. As with Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, “the tale grew with the telling.” I think the flaw in your analysis, though, is that it was never a “mystery show.” Seriously, how many “mysteries” were answered in season one? Very few were even introduced, compared to later seasons. How many episodes focused on the mysteries? Many season one episodes - like House of the Rising Sun, The Moth, Confidence Man - didn’t include the mysteries at all.

I’m not saying the island was not important. It certainly was. Rather, I’m saying that exhaustive answers were never important.

The only “changes in tone and plot” that I even noticed were when we started to get more answers in later seasons. Other than that, the structure remained the same: characters experience island mysteries and crisis situations in which they have to learn to live and work together, while flashbacks or flashforwards (or flashsideways, in the last season) illuminate different aspects of the character development by juxtaposing different time periods in a character’s life.

None of that ever changed. It remained eminently consistent.
The series creators simply sprinkled awesome mysteries into the story that sound cool initially, but had no basis for how to resolve the mysteries in the grand architecture of the show . . . The show attempted to fly by the seat of its pants, and just couldn’t quite manage to deliver a griping **and **cohesive plot arc.
(a) The only “awesome mysteries” that weren’t resolved were rather minor ones whose thematic relevance had already worn thin. An article linked to on the previous page was titled, “More Important Than Polar Bears” - meaning, of course, that the show’s characters and its treatment of the great human and spiritual mysteries were more important than a thorough explanation of Tunisia, the polar bears, time travel, etc. - all of which received their due (which was not a lot).

(b) And actually, the big mysteries - Jacob, the light, the Others - did receive full closure in a way that formed a “cohesive plot arc.” For instance, Jacob and his brother’s story was all about the human potential for corruption, and how far it goes. The light, Jacob’s “mother” explained, is inside every human, but if we’re greedy and try to seize more of it, we “could put it out,” which is why it needs to be protected. Notice that Jack and the main characters were able to be engulfed by the light at the end, once they had learned to “let go” of what was holding them back from goodness rather than clinging to selfish desires. They surrendered themselves to self-sacrifice - they didn’t seek the light, and so they got to enjoy it. This is reminiscent of Christ’s claim that “whoever loses his life for my sake will gain it, but whoever seeks his own life will lose it.”

In this way - and this is just one example - the major mysteries were both relevant and connected to the character development, thus unifying the plot-based mysteries and the characterization far more closely than people tend to realize.
 
I don’t know–and maybe it’s because I started to get really “lost” myself in seasons 5 and 6, but I don’t think the major questions were answered at all. (The polar bears, OTOH were completely explained in my mind–can’t remember exactly how they said it, or if they said it, in the series–they were escaped Dharma lab animals from the cages in which Sawyer, et al. were held.)

Was Jacob good or evil? Ditto MIB. I kind of get the idea of having them in as really cool Greek myth type demigods; I did like that, and the connection with ancient Rome (and as one website said, probably Carthage, since that’s where Ben and Locke ended up in the desert). I just don’t see with clarity how the foster mom could be in any way serving the light–she was evil from the get-go. Maybe that’s what set the tone of the series, with everyone behaving in corrupt, sociopathic ways, like Ben. Maybe the Light was really not Light at all. It seems like all the trouble began with having to protect the “light” or protect the island.

The comparison with other works of literature and film is really cool. I see in the theme of having one soul being appointed to do something to save the island (Desmond, etc. pushing the button), the woman, Jack, Hurley having the guard the pool and light–I see that in the end of the Indiana Jones movie about the Holy Grail, where the knight is stuck in the cave guarding the Grail. And did anyone see comparisons with Dr. Who’s TARDIS–bigger on the inside than on the outside, and all the scientific gadgets?

I’m really going to miss this show. It definitely needed another season to connect the story arcs, though.

OK–so there’s lots of good discussion points that can be strung out endlessly!
 
You raise good questions, Luvadoxi, and I know what I think about all of them, but I’ll refrain from commenting in detail, because all I really want to say is that these aren’t “unanswered questions” in the sense of plot threads or mysteries left dangling.

For instance, is Jacob good or evil? Well, we were eventually shown every important decision he ever made, we were given extensive access to his worldview, etc. So you tell me!

How could someone as manipulative and morally vile as Jacob’s adoptive mother be a servant of the light? I think that’s an excellent question (and as I said, I know what I think after having thought about all this stuff a lot in the past few months), but it’s not an “unanswered mystery” or anything like that.

That’s all I’m trying to say. 🙂
 
lol, FoneBone–you really know how to write a good cliff-hanger!

I’m definitely going to have to watch it all over again, especially Season 6; I can’t wait for it to come out–it’s going to be a long time till late August…

Of course, I couldn’t wait and bought it from i-tunes already, but my computer crashed, so I’ll have to wait to recover those episodes, too.

Some day, I’d like to hear your thoughts! But maybe it’s best to try and work it out on my own…more fun that way. 🙂
 
Yeah, come back and share your thoughts and theories later on! And if you want, I’ll share my thoughts, too.
 
Thoughts on series finale:

Was Jack a “type” of Christ?
a. Jack was “pierced” on his side by Flocke’s knife during their fight. The soldiers pierced Our Lord’s side when he died on the cross.
b. Jack sacrificed his life for the others. Our Lord sacrificed His life for us.
c. The souls in Limbo or Hades waited until Our Lord descended there (“He descended into hell…” from the Nicene Creed) and preached to them and opened the gates of Heaven. Okay, one can only go so far with an analogy, but Jack’s friends in the church (Hades) could not “move on” to Heaven until he, Jack got there, although it was Jack’s dad who opened the gates of heaven…
 
I definitely need to watch season 6 again with these ideas in mind–very cool! I know it’s not an exact analogy with anything in Lost, but I was just thinking that Jack is a very flawed human being, with problems in the affective area–he thought he was loving his wife but he only felt obligated to her, and she felt that. So he had difficulties in being able to love. But in other places, the symbolism of a Christ-figure seems to be there. Sometimes I think Hurley is more of a Christ figure–or maybe a St. Peter figure–he’s the one that protested the choice to go back and lie about what happened to the Oceanic 6. (Also, in a thread somewhere, I saw an interesting set of photos of the cast in daVinci Last Supper poses. Did anyone see these? I think Hurley is always in the St. Peter position…but I’ll have to try and find it again to be sure. I think maybe Locke is in the Christ position, but I can’t remember for sure…
 
Thoughts on series finale:

Was Jack a “type” of Christ?
a. Jack was “pierced” on his side by Flocke’s knife during their fight. The soldiers pierced Our Lord’s side when he died on the cross.
b. Jack sacrificed his life for the others. Our Lord sacrificed His life for us.
c. The souls in Limbo or Hades waited until Our Lord descended there (“He descended into hell…” from the Nicene Creed) and preached to them and opened the gates of Heaven. Okay, one can only go so far with an analogy, but Jack’s friends in the church (Hades) could not “move on” to Heaven until he, Jack got there, although it was Jack’s dad who opened the gates of heaven…
That’s pretty good. 👍 I think you could definitely say Jack was a “type” of Christ. There’s a difference between typology and allegory. Allegory is more of a one-to-one correlation (i.e. Aslan = Christ in Narnia) Typology is not like this. A character can be like Christ without actually being Christ. In Scripture, many of the OT heroes are types of Christ, even though they obviously have their faults. Lord of the Rings is similar with Frodo, Aragorn, and Gandalf all being types of Christ.
 
Thanks! This is the reason I love this forum! I “put my life on hold” for the past month watching the entire series from season 1 to the grand finale (The show proved to be addictive!). The reason I started watching in the first place was because I heard on the radio that “May 23” (the series finale date) was selected as the grand finale because it was Pentecost Sunday - one NEVER hears that sort of thing about a regular tv show unless, it’s on EWTN! With that, I present my top 3 “hidden” Lost Catholic moments:
  1. Claire being told by the psychic that her baby should be adopted in LA or something to that effect- her reaction reminded me of how I think Mary would have reacted to Simeon in the temple during the Presentation of Christ when he told her that her Son would be the cause of the rise and fall of many, to paraphrase.
  2. When The Others surrounded Jack and co, someone mentioned that they had been on the Island for 50 days and I think immediately, Jack was surrounded by torches (even though you couldn’t see the people). Pentecost?
  3. Charlie making The Sign of the Cross when he was in a room full of water as he drowned - “In Baptism, you have died with Christ…”
 
Claire, if you peruse the previous pages and pages of posts in this thread, you will find many links to various articles that point out the Catholic moments and themes present in Lost. I’ve not heard that one about Jack and the 50 days before. Good catch! 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top